PDA

View Full Version : Canada loses UN Security Council Seat Bid

vengie
06-17-2020, 04:58 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, and if its somewhere else I apologize.

After pandering to the UN with Canadian tax dollars our dear leader has lost... We received less votes than during the 2010 bid under Harper.

LOL

Discuss
https://globalnews.ca/news/7070563/canada-united-nations-security-council-seat/

killramos
06-17-2020, 05:08 PM
African dictators don’t like Trudeau? He must be so disappointed.

Maybe he will quit now.

Masked Bandit
06-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Gee, nobody on the world stage takes Canada seriously with a drama teacher running the show? Colour me surprised.

Supa Dexta
06-17-2020, 05:17 PM
How the world treats him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzODVBZzpo

Buster
06-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Lol love it

ExtraSlow
06-17-2020, 05:41 PM
The fixation with external approval is baffling and speaks to a deep seated insecurity that I think a lot of Laurentian Elites share. Of course, like the elementary bully, that insecurity manifests by substitution of the control you can't exert on one group of people (international powerful class) , with control of another (second-class Canadians)

That's a convoluted sentence, but you feel me, yeah?

Buster
06-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Canadians, like most liberals, thirst for affirmation from non-betas. American democrats are similar.

ExtraSlow
06-17-2020, 05:56 PM
I mean I empathize. I thirst for affirmation too. Luckily for me I got all those sweet reps.

revelations
06-17-2020, 06:36 PM
And people made fun of Harper for not giving too many fucks about this ... LOL (now who's laughing)

He didnt want to even bother.

D'z Nutz
06-17-2020, 08:09 PM
The UN doesn't care about his socks either.

revelations
06-17-2020, 09:17 PM
The UN doesn't care about his socks either.

Or his fake eyebrows falling off.

spikerS
06-17-2020, 09:17 PM
I am pretty ignorant of this whole situation. Why do we want to be on the "security council"?

what is the net benefit to Canada?

JRSC00LUDE
06-17-2020, 09:25 PM
I am pretty ignorant of this whole situation. Why do we want to be on the "security council"?

There is absolutely no benefit, and how many hundreds of millions did Trudeau waste trying to bribe his way onto it?

He looks like a fool to them too. I'm sure his arrogance will blame it on Harper though, nothing another billion can't fix.

ExtraSlow
06-17-2020, 09:27 PM

Reputation, social license, that sort of thing.

sabad66
06-17-2020, 09:29 PM
The blame is already going to China and Saudi Arabia according to a few pundits on CBC

tonytiger55
06-17-2020, 10:04 PM

From the BBC:
' The council can authorise peacekeeping operations, impose international sanctions, and determine how the UN should respond to conflicts around the world.'

This is my take on it.
When the UN was formed, the world was a different place. It was the aftermath of WW2, Europe was in ruins.

Think of a playground and you have a tuck shop (do you have those in Canadian schools here? they are like little candy shops). Think of a second big fight kicking off with big and medium sized kids. There is a fight for candy in one of the stores.
This fight was different is that it allowed other smaller kids in the playground to pick fights too. The main group holding order was distracted and busy fighting. Nobody was keeping check.
So the fight for the second candy store kicked off in the far east. But some of the little guys in the east were friends with the big and medium guys. One of the litle guys starting the fight, ran acros the playground and kicked one of the big guys in the nutts...HARD.

Anyways, so you all know what happened after WWII. So after the fight. The victors met and kept a subtle order though meetings. Conflict could be managed and resolved in council. The council could exert its influence TO the little guys if they wanted to.
The big guys could allow a few of the little guys into the meetings, have a opinion and vote. The little guys have subtle allegiances with the big guys. Now just because the guys were big, does not mean they were rich.

Now over time the little guys became stronger, bigger guys got weaker, other bigger guy got richer etc. The dynamics of the playground changed massively, some of the smaller guys got smarter too. Resources and positions changed or tried to be changed. Different people wanted more control of the Candy. Now you cant fight. You have skirmishes. But the new kids who got stronger can force your hand and convince their friends on the council to to give extra candy to their friends from the shop.
So you go through the council and exert your influence on issues with your friends.

The world has changed dramatically. Spheres of influence have changed, now other countries can compete and exert influence. Having Canada on the council gave the west leverage, or make deals, make subtle impact on the world stage in exchange of influence on the council.

Xtrema
06-17-2020, 10:09 PM
The blame is already going to China and Saudi Arabia according to a few pundits on CBC

Yup. Nobody who is begging for China government bailout money will vote Canada. So that's basically Russia/China/Eastern Europe/Africa and anyone west of India. Chinese BRI working as intended.

Pointless role anyway.

davidI
06-18-2020, 04:39 AM
Perhaps now there can be Parliamentary Debate and a fiscal update/budget.

kertejud2
06-18-2020, 04:56 AM
Yup. Nobody who is begging for China government bailout money will vote Canada. So that's basically Russia/China/Eastern Europe/Africa and anyone west of India. Chinese BRI working as intended.

Pointless role anyway.

Also that Ireland (who seemed to want to join out of spite over Brexit) and Norway (because they have spare time and cash) had bids that involved fulfilling their international commitments, unlike Canada. So Western nations were more poised to vote for those better put together bids anyway.

davidI
06-18-2020, 05:53 AM
Also that Ireland (who seemed to want to join out of spite over Brexit) and Norway (because they have spare time and cash) had bids that involved fulfilling their international commitments, unlike Canada. So Western nations were more poised to vote for those better put together bids anyway.

Norway flies very under the radar as to how much influence they have on the world stage. Their foreign policy is far more effective than Trudeau, his socks, and 21-second pauses as their Sovereign Wealth Fund yields immense power over other countries. It's not widely acknowledged in the media, but foreign service staff I have spoken with have mentioned that they have been very effective at making developing nations implement and adhere to human rights improvements through investment.

Too bad Canada has spent its resource wealth trying to maintain Industrial Revolution-era manufacturing.

dirtsniffer
06-18-2020, 06:55 AM
Global News: COMMENTARY: Trudeau’s UN vote loss is rebuke of his ‘preachy’ foreign policy.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7078045/canada-loses-security-council-vote/

I enjoyed this commentary this morning

revelations
06-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Global News: COMMENTARY: Trudeau’s UN vote loss is rebuke of his ‘preachy’ foreign policy.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7078045/canada-loses-security-council-vote/

I enjoyed this commentary this morning

"The United Nations General Assembly has strongly rejected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s worldview and his narcissistic personal brand of diplomacy."

I'm no foreign diplomatic expert, but I thought that he had the support of the globalists and was preparing himself for a career in international politics after his domestic debacles.

Turns out, hes even more of a fuck up on the global stage, than domestically ...... wow

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 10:09 AM
I enjoyed that, after spending/bribing/pandering/begging to be seen as virtuous/face to face dick sucking meetings with some of the worst human rights violating African leaders in existence, this piece of shit got less votes than Harper who just DGAF about the useless seat and went about his way.

What a failure.

davidI
06-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Just looked at the CBC homepage to see what spin they were putting on this.... even with my browser zoomed out to 25% I couldn't even show how low down the first article mentioning this was.

Ca_Silvia13
06-18-2020, 10:26 AM
Just looked at the CBC homepage to see what spin they were putting on this.... even with my browser zoomed out to 25% I couldn't even show how low down the first article mentioning this was.

That's too funny. I also enjoyed the UN comment about his "narcissistic personal brad of diplomacy" that's a great line.

killramos
06-18-2020, 10:26 AM

That’s amazing :rofl:

Classic CBC

phreezee
06-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Not even Celine could seal the deal:

killramos
06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

The rest of the world is literally laughing at us.

revelations
06-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Not many things more satisfying than seeing a holier-than-thou, narcissistic, pandering and virtue signalling dingis - get not just rejected by the people they thought were with them, but entirely dumped on their ass.

davidI
06-18-2020, 10:54 AM
The rest of the world is literally laughing at us.

I didn't realize they'd ever stopped laughing...

killramos
06-18-2020, 10:55 AM
I didn't realize they'd ever stopped laughing...

I mean usually they couldn’t give 2 fucks who we are. But they are occasionally reminded of the joke.

Ca_Silvia13
06-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Not many things more satisfying than seeing a holier-than-thou, narcissistic, pandering and virtue signalling dingis - get not just rejected by the people they thought were with them, but entirely dumped on their ass.

And getting less votes then Harper. That is the icing on the cake

revelations
06-18-2020, 11:15 AM
And getting less votes then Harper. That is the icing on the cake

Im no UN fan, but their stock just went up with me a bit.

01RedDX
06-18-2020, 11:19 AM

Xtrema
06-18-2020, 11:24 AM
Apparently Norway has spent millions since 2007 trying to get the seat. They spent a lot more time and money than Canada and still barely got the 128 vote minimum.

This is really not the world-stage humiliation that some are making it out to be.

This is basically like bidding of Olympics. Ireland won't quadruple their contribution to WHO if they weren't gunning for this.

davidI
06-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Apparently Norway has spent millions since 2007 trying to get the seat. They spent a lot more time and money than Canada and still barely got the 128 vote minimum.

This is really not the world-stage humiliation that some are making it out to be.

Canada said it shelled out roughly $1.74m (£1.37m). As of late last year, Ireland spent a reported $800,000 and Norway $2.8m.
Norway secured 130 votes, while Ireland got 128 and Canada managed just 108.

revelations
06-18-2020, 11:43 AM

It certainly is for diva-trudeau. Trying desperately and failing.

If it was someone like Harper (who was a dick and also didnt really care about this) then it wouldn't matter nearly as much.

killramos
06-18-2020, 11:43 AM
Canada said it shelled out roughly $1.74m (£1.37m). As of late last year, Ireland spent a reported $800,000 and Norway $2.8m.
Norway secured 130 votes, while Ireland got 128 and Canada managed just 108.

1.74 Million probably doesn’t even cover the 13 full time staff working on this lol

The real world stage humiliation was wanting it this badly in the first place, losing is just gravy :rofl:

davidI
06-18-2020, 11:49 AM
1.74 Million probably doesn’t even cover the 13 full time staff working on this lol

The real world stage humiliation was wanting it this badly in the first place, losing is just gravy :rofl:

Yea, I don't trust anything that involves numbers coming from this government. The full-time staff are probably under a different cost-centre. The US $1.74MM is probably only for costs they couldn't get out of attributing to this bid.

Edit: From over a year ago:

"Documents obtained by CBC News under Access to Information law show the government has ramped up spending as the clock ticks down. Since 2016, $1.5 million has been spent on the campaign — $1 million in the last 10 months alone.

The papers released include inquiries to the ministry from MPs about gifts to foreign dignitaries during Canada's pursuit of the Security Council seat. The replies revealed that there is no set budget for these gifts. Precise details on who received gifts were not provided due to privacy reasons, but the presents included everything from key chains to wild Sockeye smoked salmon.
Canadian officials have made dozens of trips for this campaign, and at least $1 million in additional money was spent in the 2016-2017 fiscal year on salaries for 11 government employees in Ottawa and New York dedicated to the bid full-time. Data was not provided for other years."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-un-security-council-von-scheel-1.5113585

So if at least $1 million in additional money was spent in 2016-17 was spent we can easily multiply that by 4 to include the last 3 years. Suddenly this smells a lot more like $5 million+. I wonder if Norway or Ireland use such shady accounting.

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 11:53 AM

Foreign "aid", climate policy/taxes, Covid "aid", pandering, trips, we've spent 100's of millions to try and do this.

01RedDX
06-18-2020, 11:54 AM

msommers
06-18-2020, 11:58 AM

This is fucking hilarious :rofl:

Trudeau or not, I think the reality of the situation for us is 'what can Canada bring to the table' whether it be military power, economic leverage or aid organization. Far be it from me to be an expert on this but as an average Joe, even I know it's hard to say we have a strong hand in any of those categories to be considered on the world stage as a 'needed asset.' Which is really too bad because at one point Canada spearheaded a lot of peacekeeping missions and actively involved in several foreign aid platforms.

It's actually quite disheartening to see the decline.

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Yea I would not be surprised if Trudeau's personality was a big factor but it's amusing to watch those who normally deride and dismiss the UN, suddenly heap praise on them because of this.

Are you reading a different thread? No one is praising the UN, we're all laughing at Trudeau for being humiliated by his dream. Fuck the UN, and fuck him.

killramos
06-18-2020, 12:09 PM
The closest thing to “praise” for the UN in here is them having the good sense to not let Trudeau play in their sandbox.

But read into it whatever way you want.

01RedDX
06-18-2020, 12:13 PM

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 12:18 PM
I didn't say anything about this thread, there are many different platforms for comments out there.

Oh okay. It's assumed your comment in this thread is about this thread but, thank you for clarifying that it's about some abstract notions out there.

Tik-Tok
06-18-2020, 12:28 PM
That's too funny. I also enjoyed the UN comment about his "narcissistic personal brad of diplomacy" that's a great line.

While good, that wasn't a quote from the UN, just a political commentary.

01RedDX
06-18-2020, 12:31 PM

max_boost
06-18-2020, 12:43 PM
OK so they're a corrupt and irrelevant institution but now you like them a little more because they stuck it to Trudeau. :rolleyes: Pretty much lol

revelations
06-18-2020, 12:44 PM
OK so they're a corrupt and irrelevant institution but now you like them a little more because they stuck it to Trudeau. :rolleyes:

Yes, I went from 0% to 0.5% approval of the UN.

And when a corrupt, self serving, globalist, elitist group rejects someone like diva man (whose dream was to be a global 'influencer') - the applicant must be pretty bad.

revelations
06-18-2020, 01:00 PM
(edit thread function is not working on my end)

---------------

This is probably much to do about nothing, but when a speaker in the UN (trudeau) commands this little attention - the end result is not surprising.

https://youtu.be/cnRFQ_gocY8?t=91

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 01:44 PM
I was not aware that my comments had to be limited only to those in this thread although I'm not surprised you'd think so, this place being the isolated echo chamber that it is.

Also, there was no hint of an "abstract notion" in my post, unless I have a different understanding of what an "abstract notion" is. :dunno:

But if I must:

OK so they're a corrupt and irrelevant institution but now you like them a little more because they stuck it to Trudeau. :rolleyes:

Oh ok, so you WERE talking about this thread when you replied to this thread and not just replying to "many different platforms for comments out there" detached (or abstract if you will) from this one. What a notion haha. You'll have to forgive me if there's a minor terminology error. English is my first language, still practicing.

Thank you for denying and confirming. :)

01RedDX
06-18-2020, 03:35 PM

revelations
06-18-2020, 05:08 PM
I agree but unfortunately cannot carry on this discussion as I have just been informed by a helpful anonymous repper that I am a poopoo-headed doodooface or something along those lines.

This has devastated me to the core and I must now take some time to re-examine my life.

LOL - yes because the chicken shit anon negative reppers think they mean something - and act as if the rep itself means something, when in the end it means fuck all

max_boost
06-18-2020, 05:10 PM
LOL - yes because the chicken shit anon negative reppers think they mean something

haha kenny rage2are you able to see who left them? I'm sure some users would actually pay to see who left them haha

would be funny

revelations
06-18-2020, 05:16 PM
LOL - immediate neg rep - little pussy strikes again, so hurt

ExtraSlow
06-18-2020, 05:16 PM
Please don't say that rep is not worth something, otherwise my whole life is a lie.

killramos
06-18-2020, 05:18 PM
Please don't say that rep is not worth something, otherwise my whole life is a lie.

Rep Is Life

revelations
06-18-2020, 05:20 PM

When rage2 allows us to change our user title - THEN life becomes worth living!!

JRSC00LUDE
06-18-2020, 05:51 PM
I still laugh at negative rep insults, I've only done it to Toma haha

max_boost
06-18-2020, 07:15 PM
LOL - immediate neg rep - little pussy strikes again, so hurt

You know you made it when ppl make fake accounts to try to troll you :rofl:

dirtsniffer
06-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Fake accounts can give negative rep but it doesn't count. It'll show as a grey flag vs a red flag. Was covered in another thread somewhere

Misterman
06-18-2020, 08:52 PM
I enjoy having a hearty laugh at another of Trudeaus many failures as much as the next guy. I just wonder how many of the Toorontotards that voted this imbecile in, will now be influenced by the fact that Trudeau has become the official global leader laughing stock(as opposed to the unofficial laughing stock prior), and swing their vote next time around? When you consider that virtually everything this idiot did was in consideration of this UN seat bid, you could calculate billions of dollars we have flushed down the toilet as a country in an attempt to buy the seat. So he has lied about every election promise he made, he has waged a war of east vs west, he has disrespected the women he claimed to champion for, he has disenfranchised the aboriginals he claimed to be an ally of, he has stood in the way of economic growth and job creation at every possible step, he has proved to be the most corrupt PM in Canadian history, and has spent us into an oblivion of debt that will take longer to pay off than the one left by his numbskull father. Are people ever going to wake up to what a Federal Liberal government means for Canada? It's literally rinse and repeat for the Liberals every time they take government again.

davidI
06-19-2020, 03:45 AM
I enjoy having a hearty laugh at another of Trudeaus many failures as much as the next guy. I just wonder how many of the Toorontotards that voted this imbecile in, will now be influenced by the fact that Trudeau has become the official global leader laughing stock(as opposed to the unofficial laughing stock prior), and swing their vote next time around? When you consider that virtually everything this idiot did was in consideration of this UN seat bid, you could calculate billions of dollars we have flushed down the toilet as a country in an attempt to buy the seat. So he has lied about every election promise he made, he has waged a war of east vs west, he has disrespected the women he claimed to champion for, he has disenfranchised the aboriginals he claimed to be an ally of, he has stood in the way of economic growth and job creation at every possible step, he has proved to be the most corrupt PM in Canadian history, and has spent us into an oblivion of debt that will take longer to pay off than the one left by his numbskull father. Are people ever going to wake up to what a Federal Liberal government means for Canada? It's literally rinse and repeat for the Liberals every time they take government again.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”― George Carlin