PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Cayman GT4

Buster
06-24-2020, 04:06 PM
It sounds like this might be the best sports car to come along in many years. Everyone loves it. So I went to look it up on the Porsche Canada website. $122,000 base, with no options and before tax and delivery charges. Jesus, I know porsches are good, but the porsche market seems to be on crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fHEYKVyuE

Xtrema
06-24-2020, 04:14 PM
https://youtu.be/iiPYzRfuEfM

But doesn't Spyder hold value better for just $3K more base?

killramos
06-24-2020, 04:18 PM
It sounds like this might be the best sports car to come along in many years. Everyone loves it. So I went to look it up on the Porsche Canada website. $122,000 base, with no options and before tax and delivery charges. Jesus, I know porsches are good, but the porsche market seems to be on crack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fHEYKVyuE

Agreed with everything you said.

Greed is the only thing holding this back from being the best car on the road for 2020

Buster
06-24-2020, 04:20 PM
And for us, I've come to the sad conclusion that we have zero interesting roads, and no track. Calgary is a bad place to be a car guy.

Mitsu3000gt
06-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Needs a turbo (for Calgary use anyway) & PDK to be perfect IMHO. PDK apparently coming to it soon, if not already available for order. Other than that it is pretty much the ideal sports car in my eyes. Nice that it's also offered in manual for those that want it. Looks amazing in yellow.

I don't think I would buy a car like that without access to either a track or a lot better roads, though.

$150K with options puts you in a category with LOTS of options, perhaps some more suited for Calgary road use.

Years ago I drove a Boxter S, Cayman S, and 911 S back to back. I liked the 911 the best at the time but the new Caymans are a lot better now.

ercchry
06-24-2020, 04:31 PM
And for us, I've come to the sad conclusion that we have zero interesting roads, and no track. Calgary is a bad place to be a car guy.

If you don’t have a place in Kelowna and a membership to area 27.... are you really a guy who should have a P-car to begin with? :rofl:

you&me
06-24-2020, 04:47 PM
Porsche has jacked the price on a lot of their 'special' cars as they were leaving too much money on the table for flippers and speculators.

That said, the GT4 is roughly the same as the previous version.

I don't know, $120k doesn't sound that crazy for what's widely considered the best driver's car on the market... Shit, a lot of soccer-mom SUVs in Aspen can run that...

Bonus with the GT4 is proven, strong resale value.

Buster
06-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Needs a turbo (for Calgary use anyway) & PDK to be perfect IMHO. PDK apparently coming to it soon, if not already available for order. Other than that it is pretty much the ideal sports car in my eyes. Nice that it's also offered in manual for those that want it. Looks amazing in yellow.

I don't think I would buy a car like that without access to either a track or a lot better roads, though.

$150K with options puts you in a category with LOTS of options, perhaps some more suited for Calgary road use.

Years ago I drove a Boxter S, Cayman S, and 911 S back to back. I liked the 911 the best at the time but the new Caymans are a lot better now.

I think the 911 is more suited to Calgary...basically concrete freeways good for GT type cars. My AMG GT was a great calgary car.

It feels like Calgary should have better mountain roads, but unlike California, you dont really ever need to cross the mountains.

dimi
06-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Porsche website MSRP. Base 911 - $113,000. GT4 - $114,900. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Mitsu3000gt
06-24-2020, 04:51 PM
I think the 911 is more suited to Calgary...basically concrete freeways good for GT type cars. My AMG GT was a great calgary car.

It feels like Calgary should have better mountain roads, but unlike California, you dont really ever need to cross the mountains.

Yeah ride quality was very noticeably better when I drove the 911 on our roads, I think at the time anyway, that was one of the reasons I preferred it to the smaller mid engine cars.

I drove a first gen Panamara too and it was actually horrible, I didn't like anything about that car. I hear the newer ones are a big improvement though and I have not had an opportunity to try one yet.

max_boost
06-24-2020, 05:16 PM
The one maker who can just keep raising prices and ppl just pay it (is that correct?)

It seems expensive and then you look at the prices of these NA2 NSX and is the Porsche really that expensive?

ThePenIsMightier
06-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Best 911 Porsche ever made...
Is the Cayman!

beyond_ban
06-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Best 911 Porsche ever made...
Is the Cayman!

I am so excited to see what kind of lap times the GT4RS puts up when it is officially released. Amazing how much performance you can get out of a car when you aren't handicapped with all the weight behind the rear wheels, but the fact that they have been able to engineer the 911 chassis so well is a marvel in and of itself.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/GwYWq/s1/porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-spy-shots.jpg

Buster
06-24-2020, 05:36 PM
I am so excited to see what kind of lap times the GT4RS puts up when it is officially released. Amazing how much performance you can get out of a car when you aren't handicapped with all the weight behind the rear wheels, but the fact that they have been able to engineer the 911 chassis so well is a marvel in and of itself.

but what do lap times matter in calgary?

adam c
06-24-2020, 05:50 PM

Ring road lap time once complete

Sorath
06-24-2020, 05:51 PM
doesn't matter how good the car is if the dealer won't sell to you.

ExtraSlow
06-24-2020, 06:08 PM
Stonyburgring lap times will be interesting. Lot of top gear staightaways.

beyond_ban
06-24-2020, 06:22 PM

I've taken up residence in Kelowna for COVID, so i guess it is a little more relevant out here.

heavyD
06-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Porsche website MSRP. Base 911 - $113,000. GT4 - $114,900. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

They aren't kidding when they call it a base car. Plain steering wheel with no buttons, not even single zone climate control, 150W audio system, no even wireless charging, 2-way power seats, plain xenon headlights, and the interior is all cheap for this money plastic. Porsche knows what they are doing though as they make a killing once you select options to bring their vehicles up to par for features with say a Honda Accord.

rage2
06-24-2020, 07:08 PM
They aren't kidding when they call it a base car. Plain steering wheel with no buttons, not even single zone climate control, 150W audio system, no even wireless charging, 2-way power seats, plain xenon headlights, and the interior is all cheap for this money plastic. Porsche knows what they are doing though as they make a killing once you select options to bring their vehicles up to par for features with say a Honda Accord.
Those options cost more than a Honda Accord too haha.

Buster
06-24-2020, 07:15 PM
Porsche makes great cars... But I'm not find of their business practices or their market for that matter.

ExtraSlow
06-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Less or more offensive than ferarri?

killramos
06-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Less or more offensive than ferarri?

It doesn’t get much more offensive than Ferrari.

ThePenIsMightier
06-24-2020, 10:09 PM
It doesn’t get much more offensive than Ferrari.

It doesn't, but that more comes from the "maintenance" end of things rather than options. At least a "base" Ferrari is reasonably equipped.
Buyer: "yeah, I think it looks like a fuckin VW without colour keyed for handles - I need those".
Porsche: "No problem. +$3,800".

Buyer: "I'd also like Porsche emblem wheel caps since your wheels are so nice but they look lame without emblems".
Porsche: "No problem. $985".

Buyer: "Wow that's a shitty deal, but YoLo. Now I need to upgrade them brakes".
Porsche: "Good choice. That'll be a quick $6800".
Buyer: "No - I didn't mean the Carbon-Ceramics. I want those cheaper tungsten carbide coated ones".
Porsche: "I already knew that. $6800".

Ferrari used to be "your car needs a new timing belt even though you only have <10,000km on your car, but it's five years old and because reasons. Actually, I didn't fucking ask you, at all. We put a new timing belt on, so that's $8,000 and with the rest of your needless, imaginary service, you owe $17,500".

Ferrari is way different now, in many ways. No more Pininfarina design. Different owner group. And most importantly, "free" service for the first few years (it might be seven years).
Guess how often they say to replace timing gear when they are paying for it! Maybe they deleted that line in the manual about "replace all fluids/lubricants annually." Yes, literally all. Diff, ATF, coolant, LoL probably should get some fresh R12, as well!! Maybe swap the nitrogen out of the tires, as well! Lunatics...

Buster
06-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Both Porsche and Ferrari make excellent product and in many ways deserve to behave the way they do. They are master marketers at both companies. They create demand out of thin air like few companies do.

My biggest gripe with Porsche is that they use base-ish cars and then option them to the moon. How is a $100k 911 also able to be a $400k GTrs3rs blah blah.

My biggest gripe with Ferrari is that the ownership group values dumb things. Mileage depreciates ferraris disproportionately, so everyone refuses to drive them. Ferraris are classic garage queens. I was looking at 599GTBs the other day, and many of them have 10-14,000 km on them. It's shameful.

msommers
06-24-2020, 11:27 PM
You can save on annual maintenance if you don't drive it!

dirtsniffer
06-25-2020, 01:57 AM
So we're all buying corvettes right?

killramos
06-25-2020, 07:06 AM
You can save on annual maintenance if you don't drive it!

With Ferrari that isn’t even true

ThePenIsMightier
06-25-2020, 07:08 AM
So we're all buying corvettes right?

I looked for that clip from Top Gear where all three of them agreed that whatever car was better than the Ferrari they tested it against.
Yet all three of them still said "Yah, I think I'd still choose the Ferrari".

A2VR6
06-25-2020, 09:11 AM
doesn't matter how good the car is if the dealer won't sell to you.

This. Good luck getting an allocation.

pf0sh0
06-25-2020, 09:19 AM
I actually have a friend who got an allocation for the GT4, should be getting it, Aug/Sept. I am excited for it to come in.. looks like it'll be an fun car

JustinL
06-25-2020, 09:21 AM
The GT4 is a pretty track focused car and sadly most of them will never see a track. Thankfully there are lots of cheaper options in the Porsche line-up for people who don't want to deal with Heim joint suspensions etc., but the allure of a Porsche GT car badge is strong.

heavyD
06-25-2020, 09:55 AM
The GT4 is a pretty track focused car and sadly most of them will never see a track. Thankfully there are lots of cheaper options in the Porsche line-up for people who don't want to deal with Heim joint suspensions etc., but the allure of a Porsche GT car badge is strong.

My handlebar spoiler days are over so I would opt for a GTS as GT4 would be a waste in Calgary. That said I just can't get over Porsche pricing. I'm one of those people that likes to have all the bells and whistles which is a really bad characteristic when pricing a Porsche. It's just ridiculous how the price balloons once you start adding convenience features that are readily available in vehicles that are a 1/4 of the price. $640 for smartphone compartment?:rolleyes: If you actually want to spruce up the interior so it looks more akin to a vehicle in this price range then you start getting into pricing territory of more substantial vehicles. I get that this may be one of the best pure sports cars you can buy but for this kind of money but once you option it up I rather opt for more substantial vehicles that come with V8TT or more.

2002civic
06-25-2020, 11:01 AM
With this market are GT4 allocations hard to come by? The states has allocations available all over for MSRP. Also sounds like they are producing a lot more than the previous GT4.

01RedDX
06-25-2020, 11:10 AM

killramos
06-25-2020, 11:11 AM
Actually a stripper GT4 Kindof appeals to me.

No way you ever find a dealer willing to sell you one. I bet even the factory would call the dealer to confirm if you managed to get an order in lol

Edit:

My Ideal GT4 Spec:

Racing Yellow
CF Bucket Seats
Aluminum Look Fuel Cap
Steering Wheel Top Center Mark in Racing Yellow
Seat Belts in Racing Yellow
Apple Carplay
Indoor 718 GT4 Car Cover

MSRP 123,430

Still too much money, but man what a car

I admit I hate the wheels though. Would love to find a way to spec it with the 20” “RS Spyder Design” wheels

Mitsu3000gt
06-25-2020, 11:28 AM
My biggest gripe with Porsche is that they use base-ish cars and then option them to the moon. How is a $100k 911 also able to be a $400k GTrs3rs blah blah.

Other manufacturers are guilty of that too though, especially the Americans. They take 7-year-old rental car platforms and option them up to $100K.

Ford Mustang: 3.5X between base car and GT500

C8 Corvette will probably be roughly a 3X multiplier between the base model and a ZR1. Guessing here based on previous models.

When they still made the Ford Focus there was about 3X between the base model and RS.

Dodge Challenger base vs Hellcat is 3X (about the same for Charger too)

Ford F150 is 4X between the base model and a range-topping Superduty

Porsche is probably the worst 'offender' of the Germans though. MB/Audi/BMW are mostly around 2X.

killramos
06-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Comparing F150 to super duty is the same as comparing a CLA to an S class. Completely different vehicles.

You can stick to F150 and still hit 3X comparing a base work truck to a raptor lol

ExtraSlow
06-25-2020, 11:51 AM
When I bought our odyssey there was 2x between base and top of line. Zero changes to suspension or powertrain too. Every manufacturer does this. Always smart to buy lower trim levels.

max_boost
06-25-2020, 11:52 AM
The key is to let shakalaka buy it first and then buy it off him 3 months later.

All this Porsche talk and Now I miss my 911. Why do I do this to myself :nut:

killramos
06-25-2020, 11:55 AM
The key is to let shakalaka buy it first and then buy it off him 3 months later.

Shak doesn’t lose money on cars, everyone knows this

ExtraSlow
06-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Shak doesn’t lose money on cars, everyone knows thiswell he knows it anyways

Always winning every transaction.

shakalaka
06-25-2020, 02:49 PM
I will teach you kids the trick one day. :angel:

shakalaka
06-25-2020, 02:53 PM

Because you're being a man and doing the right thing, as Russell would say. No point owning waste of $ crap like that.

Buster
06-25-2020, 03:03 PM
Other manufacturers are guilty of that too though, especially the Americans. They take 7-year-old rental car platforms and option them up to $100K.

Ford Mustang: 3.5X between base car and GT500

C8 Corvette will probably be roughly a 3X multiplier between the base model and a ZR1. Guessing here based on previous models.

When they still made the Ford Focus there was about 3X between the base model and RS.

Dodge Challenger base vs Hellcat is 3X (about the same for Charger too)

Ford F150 is 4X between the base model and a range-topping Superduty

Porsche is probably the worst 'offender' of the Germans though. MB/Audi/BMW are mostly around 2X.

This is how I ended up with an AMG GTS.

If I buy a Porsche now, I think I buy a stripper 911.

But whenever I build out a porsche on the website, I see all these dumb vanity options, and I remind myself that they only do douchenozzle options because there is a market for them in porsche-land. Then I'm like, waitaminute, I'm looking at 911s, so I go look at myself in the mirror. They may as well include a link to the vanity-plate ordering web-page while they are at it.

It's one of the reasons I have been so interested in the 570s. It's a $200k car built on a $500k car platform. Rather than a $500k car built on a $200k platform. The GT4 suffers a bit from this, as does the M3, C63 etc. Doesn't make them bad choices, but you're not optimizing the platform. I did make an exception to this rule when I bought the GLA45 - but I couldn't find anything from a higher base model platform that fit the same function, so I rolled with it.

JustinL
06-25-2020, 08:56 PM

But then you think, man I really like the sound and power of that GT3 engine. So you spec out a GT3RS, but that's too douchy. So you decide to have a look at the GT3 touring, but then remember you have kids. So you think maybe the 911 Turbo would be the compromise... and around and around we go.

But seriously, the base 992 is a lot of car. The 992S is what 444hp to the rear wheels of a widebody 911? That's pretty awesome.

Mitsu3000gt
06-26-2020, 10:22 AM
This is how I ended up with an AMG GTS.

But whenever I build out a porsche on the website, I see all these dumb vanity options, and I remind myself that they only do douchenozzle options because there is a market for them in porsche-land. Then I'm like, waitaminute, I'm looking at 911s, so I go look at myself in the mirror. They may as well include a link to the vanity-plate ordering web-page while they are at it.

It's one of the reasons I have been so interested in the 570s. It's a $200k car built on a $500k car platform. Rather than a $500k car built on a $200k platform. The GT4 suffers a bit from this, as does the M3, C63 etc. Doesn't make them bad choices, but you're not optimizing the platform. I did make an exception to this rule when I bought the GLA45 - but I couldn't find anything from a higher base model platform that fit the same function, so I rolled with it.

I'd take a 570S over most Porsche for the same reasons, and it's just way more interesting/exclusive. The Porsche would probably be cheaper to own and less annoying to service though.

Buster
06-27-2020, 02:38 AM
I think I've nailed down what my next car will be - but I doubt it happens this season. I'm also enjoying the extra spot in the garage. :)

Also have to wait for one to come up for sale in my spec...

2002civic
06-27-2020, 09:06 AM
don't be shy...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I’ve always wanted a P car but the ones that I can afford are shite. I really like the new Boxster GTS 4.0 but it would be hard not spend half as much on a S2 Elise for me.

Buster
06-27-2020, 11:15 PM
don't be shy...

ff

max_boost
06-27-2020, 11:37 PM
ff

Dang man :bigpimp:

Buster
06-28-2020, 12:05 AM
I hate talking abotu shit before it happens, lol...especially if its a "next year" thing.

2002civic
06-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Nice choice, room for the kids and golf clubs! and yeah makes sense. I'm looking for next year too (not FF territory though). Change my mind every few weeks though.

Buster
06-28-2020, 12:33 PM
Nice choice, room for the kids and golf clubs! and yeah makes sense. I'm looking for next year too (not FF territory though). Change my mind every few weeks though.

Golf? I don't play golf, lol.

But I think it would be a good Calgary car. More of a GT than a track focused toy with no track and no interesting canyons.

killramos
06-28-2020, 12:40 PM
GT would be sweet I agree.

2 door, barely useable back seat if any.

Preferably with lots of Noise.

max_boost
06-28-2020, 05:20 PM
I hate talking abotu shit before it happens, lol...especially if its a "next year" thing.

haha fair but unlike most ppl who are all talk, this Buster is legit :bigpimp:

- - - Updated - - -

Targa Supra if it happens :drool: :burnout:

2002civic
06-28-2020, 10:04 PM
Golf? I don't play golf, lol.

But I think it would be a good Calgary car. More of a GT than a track focused toy with no track and no interesting canyons.

Just figured a finance guy plays golf in this town, my bad lol

Buster
06-28-2020, 10:57 PM
Just figured a finance guy plays golf in this town, my bad lol

what are you looking at?

georgemagana
06-29-2020, 03:07 AM

The GT4 is a GT car. You don't need/want all those options in this car.

If those options are a priority, a GT car is definitely not what you are looking for. The GTS would be a much better option like you said on the other comment.

The 718 GT4 is great but personally, it landed on a weird spot on the market (Price wise)

A 718 GT4 with decent options will easily hit 135k and when you add GST on top of it, you pretty much land on the 991.1 GT3 price bracket.

Also, you could buy a C8 for 80k (some options) and get much more performance. Probably not as good of a driving experience but can't compare the performance.

2002civic
06-29-2020, 10:40 AM
what are you looking at?

R8 (2017/18ish), 991.1 GT3, C63 AMG, new RS5 coupe once it gets to NA, had a deposit on the RS6, but then covid hit and I have a company car so don't really need 4 seats

Like I said, all over the place and if you ask me in a week I'm sure I'll have a different list lol

budget fluctuates too as you can see by the options, and going from daycare to nanny for our son put a dent in the budget haha

vengie
06-29-2020, 11:21 AM
R8 (2017/18ish), 991.1 GT3, C63 AMG, new RS5 coupe once it gets to NA, had a deposit on the RS6, but then covid hit and I have a company car so don't really need 4 seats

Like I said, all over the place and if you ask me in a week I'm sure I'll have a different list lol

budget fluctuates too as you can see by the options, and going from daycare to nanny for our son put a dent in the budget haha

Two of those things are not like the others, you're right, that's a very weird list.

2002civic
06-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Two of those things are not like the others, you're right, that's a very weird list.

RS5 and C63 amg is if I want to keep it around $110k and have a back seat that my son can go in, then I think why do I need a back seat when I have a company car and wife has a SQ5.

Xtrema
06-29-2020, 02:44 PM
RS5 and C63 amg is if I want to keep it around $110k and have a back seat that my son can go in, then I think why do I need a back seat when I have a company car and wife has a SQ5.

Heard Royal Oak has 2 RS5 Sportback left with $13K off.

vengie
06-29-2020, 02:51 PM

AWD vs RWD though, very different driving dynamic!

My vote would be R8 RWS is you can find one. They are a riot, and bridge the gap between the GT3 and the R8

Sorath
06-29-2020, 03:12 PM
send me a pm when you are ready to move forward with your purchase. I might part with my GT3 as i am itching to upgrade myself.

2002civic
06-29-2020, 09:45 PM
Heard Royal Oak has 2 RS5 Sportback left with $13K off.
Thanks, Edmonton North had one too, but like the look of the 2020 (coming to NA in 2021)

AWD vs RWD though, very different driving dynamic!

My vote would be R8 RWS is you can find one. They are a riot, and bridge the gap between the GT3 and the R8
I actually have a white one flagged on autotrader, best of both worlds, but doubt it'll last when I'm ready although I'm sure others might come on the market

send me a pm when you are ready to move forward with your purchase. I might part with my GT3 as i am itching to upgrade myself.
sounds good, able to PM me the details on it?

Buster
06-29-2020, 10:04 PM

okay, what are you looking to upgrade to?

vengie
06-29-2020, 10:34 PM
I actually have a white one flagged on autotrader, best of both worlds, but doubt it'll last when I'm ready although I'm sure others might come on the market

Yeah I saw that one. Seems like higher mileage. BavarianBeast would be the expert on RWS’s though.

BavarianBeast
06-30-2020, 09:12 AM
I’d buy that one for $150k if I didn’t have one