PDA

View Full Version : 2021 M3/M4 get 480 and 510HP RWD Manual

Skrilla
07-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Didn’t see this posted so sorry if it’s a repost. BMW confirms 480hp M3 and 510 HP M3 Comp versions with RWD and manual as standard on 480HP. Competition looks to be an auto. This should compete with the Blackwing coming out next year possibly?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a33022178/its-official-2021-bmw-m3-and-m4-get-up-to-510-hp-manual-gearbox-and-rwd-standard/

shakalaka
07-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Edit: NVM...looks like there might be a AWD version as well.

ThePenIsMightier
07-01-2020, 07:15 PM
Sounds hot

speedog
07-01-2020, 08:39 PM
Sounds hot

killramos
07-01-2020, 08:45 PM
The M3 might be redeemable. But the 4 is gonna look like ass.

heavyD
07-02-2020, 12:16 PM
If the S58 engine can propel a 4500 lb SUV to 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and 11.6 second 1/4 mile there's no telling how fast a vehicle packing 1k lbs less will be. These are going to be seriously fast cars.

austic
07-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Finally, getting an AWD, I will have to pick one up when the AWD is available.

JustinL
07-02-2020, 04:35 PM
Didn't they tell the designers there was going to be a number plate on the front?

bjstare
07-03-2020, 08:33 AM
If the S58 engine can propel a 4500 lb SUV to 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and 11.6 second 1/4 mile there's no telling how fast a vehicle packing 1k lbs less will be. These are going to be seriously fast cars.

Not sitting here saying the X3M is slow (it's not), but nowadays the 0-60 time is not entirely representative of what the car is like to drive. The 5-60 is much more representative of performance and that's like 4.6 or something for that car, which more or less makes sense based on power:weight. disclaimer: I'm generalizing here, I haven't driven an X3M, just did some poking around to find the 5-60.

To your point though, on a thousand pound diet with the same power train, the M3 is going to be a rocket. Assuming they can get the power down I could see it being very close to 3s (probably need the awd model to pull this off successfully) under the same launch control-destroy your car-conditions.

killramos
07-03-2020, 09:56 AM
https://driving.ca/bmw/auto-news/news/bmw-to-make-owners-pay-for-features-like-heated-seats-via-subscription/amp

Gonna be great cars when you have to pay a monthly fee to keep your heated seats working :rofl:

2002civic
07-03-2020, 10:03 AM
^Audi has been looking at doing this the last few years as well. Cheaper to build all the cars the same with all the features than to customize each unit.

I wonder how they will combat tuners "hacking" the cars for features for a one time fee or cheaper price.

killramos
07-03-2020, 10:11 AM
Audi charges a monthly fee for heated seats?

I knew I didn’t buy Audi’s for a reason lol

bjstare
07-03-2020, 10:31 AM
I was about to say "great, I can only pay for them when I need them", then realized I live in a god forsaken place where the climate dictates I use my heated seats 8 months of the year.

killramos
07-03-2020, 10:32 AM
I was about to say "great, I can only pay for them when I need them", then realized I live in a god forsaken place where the climate dictates I use my heated seats 8 months of the year.

Bet it’s double the price in the winter too :rofl:

2002civic
07-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Audi charges a monthly fee for heated seats?

I knew I didn’t buy Audi’s for a reason lol

Not yet, but when I worked for them in Australia it was in discussion for future models.

C4S
07-03-2020, 10:42 AM
It is nice ... the new 340i is already very impressed, new M3/4 should be even better!

I guess base model probably starts at ~ $85K, once you get the Comp model, AWD, loaded, say $120K

Buster
07-03-2020, 10:44 AM
https://driving.ca/bmw/auto-news/news/bmw-to-make-owners-pay-for-features-like-heated-seats-via-subscription/amp

Gonna be great cars when you have to pay a monthly fee to keep your heated seats working :rofl:

And my wife was asking me why I have been shopping for older cars.

killramos
07-03-2020, 10:45 AM
It is nice ... the new 340i is already very impressed, new M3/4 should be even better!

I guess base model probably starts at ~ $85K, once you get the Comp model, AWD, loaded, say $120K

Nothing new here. MSRP for my C63 was 109 or something and it didn’t even have every option.

Tough not to jump to the M5 Comp from there ( can be had for ~140 nicely equipped ) which comes with a real engine.

- - - Updated - - -

And my wife was asking me why I have been shopping for older cars.

This

Buster
07-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Also: who cares how "fast" a car is nowadays. Even legit DDs nowadays get you to illegal speeds within seconds.

Also pet peeve: I don't give a flying fuck what a car's 1/4 mile time is. "Dude, it does a 11.2 in the quarter mile." Bragging about 1/4 mile times is like bragging about your meal the night before, but describing it in terms of how much it weighed rather than how good it tasted.

Man, I'm in a mood today.

killramos
07-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Also: who cares how "fast" a car is nowadays. Even legit DDs nowadays get you to illegal speeds within seconds.

Also pet peeve: I don't give a flying fuck what a car's 1/4 mile time is. "Dude, it does a 11.2 in the quarter mile." Bragging about 1/4 mile times is like bragging about your meal the night before, but describing it in terms of how much it weighed rather than how good it tasted.

Bench racing is how non car people pretend to know about cars.

90_Shelby
07-03-2020, 11:54 AM

What does that even mean? (In bold)

I'll also state that I'm a car guy, and I definitely care about how fast a car is. If you like performance vehicles, why wouldn't you? Or are you only interested in braking and turning, acceleration is irrelevant?

You stated that you want to get a Ferrari FF and I'm trying to understand what about a 650hp, AWD, shooting brake, would interest a guy who doesn't care how fast a car is.

I suppose I'm not taking into consideration that lots of guys simply want a high performance car because of the badge and the expensive price, which is fine too.

killramos
07-03-2020, 12:09 PM

I'll also state that I'm a car guy, and I definitely care about how fast a car is. If you like performance vehicles, why wouldn't you? Or are you only interested in braking and turning, acceleration is irrelevant?

You stated that you want to get a Ferrari FF and I'm trying to understand what about a 650hp, AWD, shooting brake, would interest a guy who doesn't care how fast a car is.

I suppose I'm not taking into consideration that lots of guys simply want a high performance car because of the badge and the expensive price, which is fine too.

I think it’s more that the qualities that make the car fast are cool, rather than the number on the spec sheet that says how quick it runs a 1:4 mile making it cool.

heavyD
07-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Bench racing is how non car people pretend to know about cars.

LOL okay. Why even bother discussing a car like this or any performance version of a regular car? I guess the aftermarket tuning scene is for people to pretend to know about cars? If you truly don't care about 1/4 mile times you probably aren't a real car enthusiast or are butthurt that your current vehicles don't measure up.

Maybe we need to make a subforum for the real car guys that want to hold hands, sing Kumbaya and discuss the fuel economy of economy cars, massaging seats, or brag about the badges they have acquired.:rolleyes:

killramos
07-03-2020, 12:29 PM
LOL okay. Why even bother discussing a car like this or any performance version of a regular car? I guess the aftermarket tuning scene is for people to pretend to know about cars? If you truly don't care about 1/4 mile times you probably aren't a real car enthusiast or are butthurt that your current vehicles don't measure up.

Maybe we need to make a subforum for the real car guys that want to hold hands, sing Kumbaya and discuss the fuel economy of economy cars, massaging seats, or brag about the badges they have acquired.:rolleyes:

I personally think there are a lot more interesting things about cars than numbers written on the sales sheet.

It’s not about the destination, but how you get there.

90_Shelby
07-03-2020, 12:45 PM
Performance numbers are typically a direct correlation to the sensation you feel when driving. If a car has great 1/4 mile or 0-60 numbers, you feel that sensation when hitting the gas pedal and it’s significant when comparing the sensation of an awd 500hp M3 vs a Toyota Camry despite only a few seconds between the times.

Road course or lap times are another topic as most drivers aren’t anywhere close to driving their performance car to the limits of its capabilities. I would almost argue that acceleration for the average driver is the best way to feel what their car is capable of.

Buster
07-03-2020, 12:45 PM

Nothing wrong with a car being fast. It's just not the most interesting thing about cars nowadays.

heavyD
07-03-2020, 12:50 PM
I personally think there are a lot more interesting things about cars than numbers written on the sales sheet.

It’s not about the destination, but how you get there.

Sure there's the design, the interior ergonomics, ride, etc but that's something any non-enthusiast may take interest in. I just think it's a little disingenuous to consider yourself an auto enthusiast while claiming not to care about performance metrics. It doesn't have to be at the top of your list of criteria but very few people purchase a performance car without an eye on it's performance capabilities.

killramos
07-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Sure there's the design, the interior ergonomics, ride, etc but that's something any non-enthusiast may take interest in. I just think it's a little disingenuous to consider yourself an auto enthusiast while claiming not to care about performance metrics. It doesn't have to be at the top of your list of criteria but very few people purchase a performance car without an eye on it's performance capabilities.

I’m saying 0-60 times are a cheap stat to lean on, one very easily gamed by manufacturers with electronic launch systems these days.

Far from a holy grail number.

I just don’t think listing out a table of 0-60 numbers quoted by manufacturers makes for particularly engaging comparison of cars. Everyone wants to find some silver bullet to rank everything. I think that’s an incredibly boring way to look at things.

To each their own.

heavyD
07-03-2020, 01:22 PM
I’m saying 0-60 times are a cheap stat to lean on, one very easily gamed by manufacturers with electronic launch systems these days.

Far from a holy grail number.

I just don’t think listing out a table of 0-60 numbers quoted by manufacturers makes for particularly engaging comparison of cars. Everyone wants to find some silver bullet to rank everything. I think that’s an incredibly boring way to look at things.

To each their own.

You said "bench racing" which is general to all performance metrics and now changing the goal posts to 0-60 mph. 1/4 mile times were also discussed as that's the bigger indicator of how fast a vehicle is. Still even at that it's impressive when you see the latest 911 Turbo S pull off a 2.5 second 0-60 time as it's manufacturers are pushing physics. Regardless I agree with you that this discussion has run its course.

killramos
07-03-2020, 01:27 PM
You can replace “0-60” with whatever number floats your boat: Nurburgring times, quarter mile, top speed, CO2’s/km. All the same :zzz:.

Now talk about the technologies that got them there, now that’s something interesting to talk about.

ExtraSlow
07-03-2020, 01:43 PM
If 0-60 matters, you buy an electric car.

vengie
07-03-2020, 01:46 PM
I for one would prefer to bench race how many features my car has which require a monthly subscription to use.

killramos
07-03-2020, 01:51 PM
I for one would prefer to bench race how many features my car has which require a monthly subscription to use.

Pretty sure OnStar has everyone beat in that category :rofl:

90_Shelby
07-03-2020, 02:21 PM
If 0-60 matters, you buy an electric car.

I’d like to drive one. Despite them accelerating fast, I’m interested in the sensation with a complete lack of noise and how it compares to something like my Jeep where half the fun is the roar of the engine, whine of the blower and blap when it shifts.

heavyD
07-03-2020, 02:30 PM
You can replace “0-60” with whatever number floats your boat: Nurburgring times, quarter mile, top speed, CO2’s/km. All the same :zzz:.

Now talk about the technologies that got them there, now that’s something interesting to talk about.

Maybe not?:dunno:

Nothing new here. MSRP for my C63 was 109 or something and it didn’t even have every option.

Tough not to jump to the M5 Comp from there ( can be had for ~140 nicely equipped ) which comes with a real engine.

- - - Updated - - -

This

So only discussing technologies such as a V8 seeing 4 and 6 cylinder technologies that get you there aren't real engines? You know what's interesting? Your ability to contradict yourself.;)

dirtsniffer
07-03-2020, 02:33 PM
Isn't bmw the only company to have wireless Carplay? Seems awesome

killramos
07-03-2020, 02:44 PM
So only discussing technologies such as a V8 seeing 4 and 6 cylinder technologies that get you there aren't real engines? You know what's interesting? Your ability to contradict yourself.;)

I think discussing things such as merits of different engines is interesting. Yes. I think V8’s are cooler than 4 cyls. Yes.

I think those are interesting topics of discussion. 0-60 times not so much.

I think you need to look up contradiction in a dictionary bud.

- - - Updated - - -

Them, also VW, Mercedes, Ford, FCA. It’s just not that widespread.

beyond_ban
07-03-2020, 02:46 PM
I do not think 0-60 is the be all end all stat to determine what car to purchase, of course the desirability is wrapped into a complex array of factors. But writing off the most daily usable performance metric as useless is a swing and a miss in my opinion. Sure, looking at all the super and hyper cars and bragging how your car is .1 seconds faster 0-60 is a little useless, but when one car is blasting another by a full second to 60 that translates to real world enjoyment as you speed to the limit and then let off the accelerator.

bjstare
07-03-2020, 02:52 PM
I do not think 0-60 is the be all end all stat to determine what car to purchase, of course the desirability is wrapped into a complex array of factors. But writing off the most daily usable performance metric as useless is a swing and a miss in my opinion. Sure, looking at all the super and hyper cars and bragging how your car is .1 seconds faster 0-60 is a little useless, but when one car is blasting another by a full second to 60 that translates to real world enjoyment as you speed to the limit and then let off the accelerator.

I'm on board with this, but quoting the 0-60 time is pretty useless, since most/all require using launch control, which you aren't going to be engaging regularly (or ever?). That's why 5-60 is a much more relevant indicator of DD fun IMO.

heavyD
07-03-2020, 03:11 PM
I'm on board with this, but quoting the 0-60 time is pretty useless, since most/all require using launch control, which you aren't going to be engaging regularly (or ever?). That's why 5-60 is a much more relevant indicator of DD fun IMO.

I'm surprised how many people use launch control on their vehicles on a somewhat regular basis. Forums and facebook groups I've been on with cars that have DSG or autos with launch control are full of people that seem to do it on a regular basis. There's threads at Bimmerpost dedicated to it. It's an occasional thing for me but on most autos today are pretty efficient at launching compared to say dumping the clutch on a manual equipped AWD vehicle. Road and Track did 50 straight launches back to back on a 911 turbo and it was by their words as quick on the 30th as it was on the first. Granted not all vehicles are built to that standard but most vehicles with launch control should be able to reliably perform the task without causing major or long term damage. 5-60 is a good indicator of ability to get going from a green light for sure but outside of C&D most auto media focus on only 0-60 and 1/4 mile times so it's not as readily available of a metric. It's very notable on a vehicle such as an STI that can have a 4.6 sec 0-60 time and a 6.6 second 5-60 time.

Buster
07-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Acceleration figures were more interesting when it was not a cheap commodity.

bjstare
07-03-2020, 04:31 PM
I'm surprised how many people use launch control on their vehicles on a somewhat regular basis. Forums and facebook groups I've been on with cars that have DSG or autos with launch control are full of people that seem to do it on a regular basis. There's threads at Bimmerpost dedicated to it. It's an occasional thing for me but on most autos today are pretty efficient at launching compared to say dumping the clutch on a manual equipped AWD vehicle. Road and Track did 50 straight launches back to back on a 911 turbo and it was by their words as quick on the 30th as it was on the first. Granted not all vehicles are built to that standard but most vehicles with launch control should be able to reliably perform the task without causing major or long term damage. 5-60 is a good indicator of ability to get going from a green light for sure but outside of C&D most auto media focus on only 0-60 and 1/4 mile times so it's not as readily available of a metric. It's very notable on a vehicle such as an STI that can have a 4.6 sec 0-60 time and a 6.6 second 5-60 time.

That's wild that it's that common. I have a DSG w/ launch control in my car, and I have zero interest in using it. My car is enough fun as is, it's not worth the abuse IMO. I guess I'm just projecting my own aversion to using it on everyone else haha.

I'm pretty sure there's a video out there of someone doing 100 consecutive launches in a porsche turbo with the PDK; that drivetrain is the exception to the rule though. I'd be flabbergasted if there's another one out there that can do that many launches without self destructing.

90_Shelby
07-03-2020, 04:47 PM
My Jeep has a launch button on the console, it’s fun to bounce it off the two step on occasion but it actually gets out of the hole faster, from idle. I’m sure I could lower the rev limiter to help with wheel spin but whatevs.

rage2
07-03-2020, 07:20 PM
I’d like to drive one. Despite them accelerating fast, I’m interested in the sensation with a complete lack of noise and how it compares to something like my Jeep where half the fun is the roar of the engine, whine of the blower and blap when it shifts.
Put on noise cancelling headphones, put the car in auto sportiest mode and go for a drive. Feels 80% like an EV.

Them, also VW, Mercedes, Ford, FCA. It’s just not that widespread.
Mercedes announced it but delayed. Think some of the newer Audi’s have it. Ford didn’t seem to have it when I was looking at the explorer. Just wired. BMWs setup works so well in the 850 I test drove.

shakalaka
07-03-2020, 10:59 PM
I've never ever launched any of my cars. Which now that I think about it, is kinda sad.

Mitsu3000gt
07-03-2020, 11:41 PM
Subscription features? I can't think of a faster way to have people stop buying your cars. What a nightmare. That would instantly rule out those vehicles for me personally.

As for 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I think most people realize that those numbers mean nothing to 99% of people who do not race their cars and do not have the skill to achieve the advertised times (exception perhaps being certain launch controls). What it does do is give people an idea of what the vehicle's performance will be like, so it's still somewhat useful overall IMO. I also think some people get satisfaction in knowing their car is capable of something, even though they may never achieve it.

5-60 time is probably the most relevant to the average person as stoplight to stoplight driving is what the vast majority of people do most of the time, but still it's not like there are many opportunities to test that out and often the 0-60 times you see in magazines are abusive launches. Most launch controls aren't designed to be used frequently (Porsche the obvious exception). Nowadays though, you have family sedans and cheap econo-boxes in the 5-6 second range and expensive Civics putting up exotic-beating times around the race track, so it's pretty easy to get adequate power in almost anything. Most of the exotics are competing in a range where nobody can tell a difference without testing equipment and it's way less interesting than it used to be IMO.

Personally I couldn't care less about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as I will never actually test that out, I like having decent torque over a relatively wide RPM range because that is what you actually use when driving around most of the time and good torque delivery makes cars feel faster than they are.

heavyD
07-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Mercedes announced it but delayed. Think some of the newer Audi’s have it. Ford didn’t seem to have it when I was looking at the explorer. Just wired. BMWs setup works so well in the 850 I test drove.

It's a game changer IMO if you regularly use CarPlay or Android Auto (should be available this month or next). I'm really surprised that other luxury automakers aren't offering it as you get in your car, turn it on and it connects seamlessly and defaults to CarPlay. Combined with a wireless charger and you never need cables in your car unless it's to charge back seat phones.

max_boost
07-04-2020, 05:33 PM
I've never ever launched any of my cars. Which now that I think about it, is kinda sad.

You'll never forget your first time :burnout: :love:

killramos
09-22-2020, 09:31 PM
Just saw this on Instagram... Well fuck there goes my hope the M3 wouldn’t inherit the buck teeth from its brother.

M3 Left M4 Right

npham
09-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Yea lots of higher res photos all over the internet. I love the green and headlights, but the grille is awful. Maybe BMW will put stupid residuals and low rates to lease them out for cheap...otherwise I don't know how they plan to move them.

dirtsniffer
09-22-2020, 10:09 PM
Wtf are they thinking

schocker
09-22-2020, 10:51 PM
yuk :barf:

ThePenIsMightier
09-22-2020, 11:05 PM
I heard the interior looks cheap.
LoL!

speedog
09-22-2020, 11:10 PM

Buster
09-22-2020, 11:18 PM
oh gross.

BMW, wtf has happened to you?

npham
09-23-2020, 06:10 AM
This is from a 2 series, and not from the new M3/M4

This is the actual interior which I don't mind. The seats look more orange than brown in this pic though...

jutes
09-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Happy the manual is still there, but gone are the subtle E92 looks. Yukz

killramos
09-23-2020, 07:05 AM
I really had hoped to pick up the new M3 too. This is probably the final nail in the coffin for that plan.

Guess I need to buy a track hawk or something.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-23-2020, 07:43 AM
I hope the quoted weights I’m seeing are EU Kerb Weight and not DIN.

speedog
09-23-2020, 08:06 AM
Curb isn't a valid word anymore?

bjstare
09-23-2020, 08:17 AM
I think it looks way better than I was expecting. It helps to see a pic with no front plate.

Also, the sport seats in it are nuts.

Overall, this car exceeds expectations for me. Especially with awd it could be a great DD for our climate.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Curb isn't a valid word anymore?

https://i.postimg.cc/4NSqxBvc/A741-B2-A7-DF87-47-F9-976-B-993-EC8-CAA43-C.png

killramos
09-23-2020, 08:21 AM
I think it looks way better than I was expecting. It helps to see a pic with no front plate.

Overall, this car exceeds expectations for me. Especially with awd it could be a great DD for our climate.

I just really want that grill gone. I also hate that they are normalizing birch green. Now everyone is going to have it.

asp integra
09-23-2020, 09:11 AM
Regardless how amazing this car is, I would never even look in its direction with that front end.

BMW really shit the bed with their new vehicles
:barf:

beyond_ban
09-23-2020, 09:18 AM
This front end looks much, much better on the production model than it did in all the renders / spy photos. I still am not a fan and hate how the hood goes into the grill like two huge nostrils, but it isn't as bad as it was before. Jonny Lieberman posted a render on his Instagram that vastly helps it, but still, it just seems like there were so many ways to go with the front end and this is a strange one to choose.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFekrIbBbpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(any way to embed insta photos?)

killramos
09-23-2020, 10:05 AM
Regardless how amazing this car is, I would never even look in its direction with that front end.

BMW really shit the bed with their new vehicles
:barf:

It’s so frustrating, the new M3 is everything I want. Except I can’t stand the sight of it.

ThePenIsMightier
09-23-2020, 10:25 AM
It’s so frustrating, the new M3 is everything I want. Except I can’t stand the sight of it.

Get that Italian thing, then. Quadriplegillio?

killramos
09-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Get that Italian thing, then. Quadriplegillio?

That’s none of the things I want.

prae
09-23-2020, 11:43 AM
e9x for life i guess. they're slow though

killramos
09-23-2020, 11:45 AM
I have actually been snooping for a nice clean E92 Competition.

Prices are getting VERY reasonable.

flipstah
09-23-2020, 02:33 PM
This front end looks much, much better on the production model than it did in all the renders / spy photos. I still am not a fan and hate how the hood goes into the grill like two huge nostrils, but it isn't as bad as it was before. Jonny Lieberman posted a render on his Instagram that vastly helps it, but still, it just seems like there were so many ways to go with the front end and this is a strange one to choose.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFekrIbBbpL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

(any way to embed insta photos?)

I can get on board with that render.

beyond_ban
09-23-2020, 02:55 PM
I can get on board with that render.

You know every aftermarket company out there is swarming around creating new bumper designs. The car itself offers a lot outside of it's buckteeth, and those new carbon buckets are sex.

heavyD
09-23-2020, 02:58 PM

The CF bucket seats are even power adjustable which you don't typically expect. I think it looks better than early renders but it's not love at first sight for sure. I will have reserve final judgement until I see it in person. I think the rest of the car looks better than the F80 version especially from the rear.

bjstare
09-23-2020, 04:30 PM
The rear is 10x better than f80.

I’m very confident it will look better in person. Also I’m pretty sure everyone will warm up to it. The general sentiment and pearl clutching seems pretty similar to the bangle butt 7 series, and that turned out fine.

killramos
09-23-2020, 04:31 PM
The rear is 10x better than f80.

I’m very confident it will look better in person. Also I’m pretty sure everyone will warm up to it. The general sentiment and pearl clutching seems pretty similar to the bangle butt 7 series, and that turned out fine.

There is warming up to it, and liking it enough to buy one.

npham
09-23-2020, 07:16 PM
Give it a good residual, low lease rate and I'd drive one.

beyond_ban
09-24-2020, 10:41 PM
This guy has some pretty good takes in regards to design language and i agree with his determination that the M3 works much more cohesively than the M4. For those interested, he redesigns the M4 at the 12:00 mark.

AAKd4hR-VCo

Buster
09-24-2020, 11:34 PM
This guy has some pretty good takes in regards to design language and i agree with his determination that the M3 works much more cohesively than the M4. For those interested, he redesigns the M4 at the 12:00 mark.

AAKd4hR-VCo

Jesus, that video in the background is over-edited. Stop the fucking cuts every 1.3 seconds and let me look at t the car. Or maybe that's the point. Would make Michael Bay blush.

ThePenIsMightier
09-24-2020, 11:38 PM
Jesus, that video in the background is over-edited. Stop the fucking cuts every 1.3 seconds and let me look at t the car. Or maybe that's the point. Would make Michael Bay blush.

I don't understand the difference...

hxgkXxa9c3s

Buster
09-24-2020, 11:48 PM
one thing I didn't notice until now was all the stupid bodywork on the hood.

shakalaka
09-25-2020, 12:00 AM
I didn't think this would happen and especially this soon...but it's kinda growing on me when I see pictures without a front plate.

Buster
09-25-2020, 12:04 AM
I didn't think this would happen and especially this soon...but it's kinda growing on me when I see pictures without a front plate.

gogogogogogogo

shakalaka
09-25-2020, 12:14 AM
Matt Watson also agrees...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMJuwlJm-g

spike98
09-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Something for me that can't be unseen is the way they shoe horned rear doors from the previous gen 3 series while trying to make the body wide creating a weird step that looks totally out of place.

killramos
09-25-2020, 07:44 AM

The only time this is redeemable is when they are functional. The new M3’s are not.

beyond_ban
09-25-2020, 08:58 AM

This is my biggest gripe. I like the overall concept of the M3, but the front hood design makes it look even more distinctly like a snout and makes the grill protrude even more... as if we wouldn't notice it without further accentuation.