PDA

View Full Version : Stop Sign Idiots

michael_pro
03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
Ever come to a 4-way stop sign AFTER another car has reached it first, only to find them waiting for you and waving for you to go.

IT PISSES ME OFF

Just follow the simple rules of the road at a stop sign.

1st come.

1st go.

Its understandable to wait for another car to stop, since some people dont stop at all, but IF YOU ARE FIRST THAN, DAMN IT, JUST GO FIRST.

OH yeah, the best one is when 2 or three other cars get to a 4-way stop at different times and everyone just sits there. The best answer for this situation is.....

rest your head on the steering wheel as though you are sleeping. My friends get a kick out of it. Even the person who always waits for everyone else to go, has to go first when you do this.

Just wondering if i OTHERS get pissed about this?

cheers

izzoblitzo
03-31-2004, 05:53 PM
that happens all the time up in westhills!!

but on the contrary, I find at the same intersections (they are 4-way stops, with four 6 intersection lanes) and people get there at different times, and just asume its okay to go when the guy next to them is going.. what a bastard. :banghead:

Personally, I'd rather meet people showing signs of courtesy, than people just tryin to gun it when you're turning or something.

EK 2.0
I am a stop sign idiot, BUT only becasue I dont trust the other people in that intersection...

euro tang
Originally posted by michael_pro

1st come.

1st go.

Its understandable to wait for another car to stop, since some people dont stop at all, but IF YOU ARE FIRST THAN, DAMN IT, JUST GO FIRST.

Its not always first come first go. On a two way stop if one car is going strait and the other is turing left then the guy going striaght should go first no matter what.

Akagi Redsuns
03-31-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by euro tang

Its not always first come first go. On a two way stop if one car is going strait and the other is turing left then the guy going striaght should go first no matter what.

It is amazing how many people don't know this! Arrgh!!!! :guns:

michael_pro
03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
:clap:

yeyyyyyy

4 people replied

and

6 people voted

Jynx
03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
gool ol driversed
stopsign
if 2 peeps come to a stop at the same time, yield to ure rite!
quite simple actualy.

chris
03-31-2004, 06:24 PM
wat really pissses me off is when you come to a three way stop, and you have the right of way and the bastard to the left of you doesnt yield to you because your turning, that pisses me off, especially when the bastard flips you off when you're in the right of way

Team_Mclaren
03-31-2004, 07:08 PM
what really pisses me off are people who think its okay to follow really really close to the car that just stopped then they get amazeing close to it and move along with it!!!! freaking cheaters!!!!!!:whipped:

A_3
03-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Stop signs are alright in alot of places but they need to re-evalute there position in rural area's alot of the stop signs where i live (springbank) should be yield signs because the amount of traffic going through them is minimal. It's just a cash cow for the coppers because they sit at these stop signs that no one ever stops at and get everyone!:guns: In the city however they're usually a pretty good thing and required so i can't totally hate on them.

hendosa
03-31-2004, 10:18 PM
I agree with that whole Springbank deal, I never stop for them, mostly because you can see if there are any cars coming from 1/2 km away.
I do hate the ones in town where people are just either trying to be nice or not paying attention, and end up slowing down all flow of traffic... there a lot of these dummies in westhills.

T5_X
03-31-2004, 11:45 PM
Holy shit, I was just going to make a thread about this.

I have NEVER had a problem in Calgary with ppl being retards about 4-way stops.
HOWEVER, I spend a shitload of time in Canmore. EVERY time I come to a 4 way stop in that town, there's some fucking moron who does not know how to use it. WTF!!!!!??? I swear some time I'm gonna snap and fucking go nuts on someone because of this.

rice_eater
03-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Ever come to a 4-way stop sign AFTER another car has reached it first, only to find them waiting for you and waving for you to go.

IT PISSES ME OFF

1st come.

1st go.

OH yeah, the best one is when 2 or three other cars get to a 4-way stop at different times and everyone just sits there. The best answer for this situation is.....

rest your head on the steering wheel as though you are sleeping. My friends get a kick out of it. Even the person who always waits for everyone else to go, has to go first when you do this.

cheers

who gives a fuck??? you wait for what? 20 seconds max? i'm more happy that they even stopped at the intersection, rather than blowing through it right into my ass :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares:

rice_eater
03-31-2004, 11:52 PM

IT PISSES ME OFF

1st come.

1st go.

cheers

who gives a fuck??? you wait for what? 20 seconds max? i'm more happy that they even stopped at the intersection, rather than blowing through it right into my ass. You dont want to go? FINE i'll go first. what's the big deal here??? :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares: :whocares:

xkon
04-01-2004, 12:03 AM
i HATE it when people who stop AFTER you gun and and think they were there BEFORE you... buddy, i was here when the guy in front of you went!!! :guns: :guns: :guns:

illeagle
04-01-2004, 12:07 AM
I don't fuck around if in that 1-2 seconds no one moves i'm going......i don't care who stopped first, unless the cops are there, then i'm an angel:bullshit:

Tilly
04-01-2004, 03:39 PM
..you guys are nuts! first you complain when people screw you over, now you complain when people drive considerably. whoever is pissed that other people wait for THEM is fuckin crazy. and, i think it's you that should get the hell off the road. you make good drivers with modified cars, like me, look bad.

ExtremeSi
04-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tilly
..you guys are nuts! first you complain when people screw you over, now you complain when people drive considerably. whoever is pissed that other people wait for THEM is fuckin crazy. and, i think it's you that should get the hell off the road. you make good drivers with modified cars, like me, look bad.

You should never consider yourself a good driver. Then you have no room for improvement.
And it's not like he's complaining that people are being courteous drivers, it's that some people are just inattentive and way too cautious, impeding the flow of traffic too much.

hjr
04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
i love it, i get through faster. Bong to me!

ThE tV 8 mE
04-01-2004, 06:09 PM

HAHAHA! Gotta try THAT one out!! :rofl:

szw
04-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Also annoying is that one entrance to Chinook mall coming from Mcleoud. You are supposed to have right of way (they even installed a flashing green light) but a lot of people just stop there and treat it as a four way stop when its not, and there is no stop sign.

ramminghard
04-02-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Tilly
you make good drivers with modified cars, like me, look bad.

Please explain to me why a modified car makes you a better driver. My celica is completly stock, does this make me one of the people that makes you look bad. If your worried about how you look so much you bought the wrong car. Neons look like shit, even with a good driver. What makes you such a good driver?

Zero102
04-02-2004, 12:32 PM
Fuck, there are too many grandma's at west hills. All the time I nearly get run off the road by those old hags. If you can't see over the wheel, don't get in the car.

I find about 75% of the time when somebody either waits for every other person there to go (when they got there first), or just run it behind somebody, it's a 90 year old lady.

Ugh.

I have to try that rest your head on the steering wheel thing.
I can't count the number of times I come to a 4 way stop and nobody will go.
What's worse is when somebody finally does decide to go, everybody else picks that same second, and all honk at each other and give them the finger.
Ugh.

finboy
04-02-2004, 07:15 PM
we have traffic circles installed in rosedale now, and people have NO CLUE how to use them. i have almost been in over 10 collisions because of those damn things. when i'm in the circle turning people com flying into the intersection because they assume they have right of way. idiots.

this is why there should be MANDITORY lisence testing every 5 years MINIMUM. you don't pass, you can't take the test for another week, and get rid of all the crooked registries that sell lisences to people.

rice_eater
04-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard

Please explain to me why a modified car makes you a better driver. My celica is completly stock, does this make me one of the people that makes you look bad. If your worried about how you look so much you bought the wrong car. Neons look like shit, even with a good driver. What makes you such a good driver?

get your head out of your ass, that's not what he was saying.

hendosa
04-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by finboy

this is why there should be MANDITORY lisence testing every 5 years MINIMUM. you don't pass, you can't take the test for another week, and get rid of all the crooked registries that sell lisences to people.
:werd: keep the shitty drivers off the streets

Tilly
04-04-2004, 06:01 PM
WOW.. every day I come on here I realize how old I am. It's like dealing with a bunch of 17 year old girls on here.

First off,
EXTREME SI: you have a good point, and I totally agree with you. all I am trying to say is that individuals shouldn't be discouraged when others are simply trying to be courteous. i myself dislike when people imped the flow of traffic when being too courteous, but when it comes to 4-way stops, i'd rather people actually stop than nearly cause accidents by not stopping at all.. or at least barely stopping and then speeding off. you have a good point though.

Second off,
RICE_EATER: thank you for pointing out to "ramminghard" that that is not remotely what I was leaning toward when I mentioned 'modified cars' in the same sentence as 'good driver' and 'me'. i was not talking about the fact that people with modified cars drive better.. actually, I think they generally drive worse - if we are generalizing. all i WAS trying to say was that i try to be courteous when I can, and i'm glad when other drivers return the favour. i DO, however, like to have fun with my car, and possibly "bag" on it at time. what i don't like to do, however, is speed through playground zones, or NOT STOP AT STOPSIGNS. and, it isn't because I'm worried about the fine; i'd just rather not kill an innocent victim, or child.

Third off,
RAMMINGHARD: i feel somewhat enraged when i hear people like you comment like that. i really don't see the need in it, nor do i know what drives people like you to write stuff like that. this thread began with a conversation about 4-way stops and YOU turned it into ANOTHER thread about irrelevant subjective opinions about material possessions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. i really couldn't care less if you don't like neons, and in case you haven't noticed, I haven't cared for quite some time now; if I did, then I'd just get a motorbike, or a celica, or civic, or something. in fact, it wouldn't even matter what i got because there would always be people like YOU to bring DOWN whatever I'm into. basically, what i'm trying to say is that your comments are useless blabber that make this forum worse and worse. i come on here to read some useless information, find some products in the marketplace, and perhaps indulge in a laugh or two. lastly, i would just like to ask you something: why do you come on here?

thanks for your time.

kdscalgary
04-15-2004, 09:43 AM
To go back to previous comments regarding first come first go, this is also the case at two-way stops when there is one vehicle turning and another going straight. I don't know where people in the prairies learned that the vehicle proceeding straight has the right of way regardless of timing but this driving behaviour is absolutely not used anywhere else in this country. A person arriving at a two-way stop first has the right of way regardless of intended direction. If two vehicles arrive at the same time, then the person going straight has the right of way. For those who disagree, please consult your drivers education manual!

Orbie
04-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I never thought I'd ever see a thread where people get pissed off at courteous people! lol! Are you guys in that much of a rush that you can't afford to wait a couple more seconds to get through the intersection?

I'm assuming we're talking about the people that wave one or two cars to go if they get to the intersection at around the same time, not the people who are just so timid that they let everyone go! In that case a little aggressive driving is needed.

I know if I get to a 4-way at around the same time as another person, I'll almost always wave them to go. If it's very distinguishable that I got there first then I'm going. It's just courtesy and being nice, something our society lacks in so many other areas. Sure the rule is first come first go, but it's not always so black and white, and no cop is going to give you a ticket for letting someone else go before you.

It's like if you get to a closed door and someone was right behind you, what do you do? most people would probably open the door and try to keep it open long enough for the other person to grab it, or just open the door and stand aside to let the other person through first. One could argue that you get to the door first you open the door and go through first, the person behind you has arms, they can take care of themselves!, but it's just common courtesy, imagine someone getting mad at you for opening the door for them?! :confused:

Khyron
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kdscalgary
To go back to previous comments regarding first come first go, this is also the case at two-way stops when there is one vehicle turning and another going straight. I don't know where people in the prairies learned that the vehicle proceeding straight has the right of way regardless of timing but this driving behaviour is absolutely not used anywhere else in this country. A person arriving at a two-way stop first has the right of way regardless of intended direction. If two vehicles arrive at the same time, then the person going straight has the right of way. For those who disagree, please consult your drivers education manual!

YOU check your manual. If you are sitting at a 2 way stop for 10 mins waiting to turn left, and I come up to the other stop sign going straight, guess what - I have right of way.

And IGNORING rules of the road just for the sake of being courteous - it's dangerous. No you go, no you go, I insist, no you go - both go and crash. Follow the rules! If it's your turn to go, trying to tell another driver who is FOLLOWING THE RULES to go is just as dangerous as someone breaking them!

Khyron

kdscalgary
04-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Kyron,

If you don't believe me, then how about a couple of police services?

http://www.island.net/~cihp/columns/4_way_stop.htm

http://www.ci.holland.mi.us/police/faqs.htm#Traffic%20FAQ's
(scroll about half way down)

so, no, if i have been waiting for 10 minutes and you arrive, you certainly do not have the right of way. I realize that most people here are under the same impression as you so if I arrive at a stop sign a short time before a person who is going straight, I shrug my shoulders and let them assume the right of way. However, if I have been there for 10 minutes, you can bet that I won't be as accomodating.

Orbie
04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

And IGNORING rules of the road just for the sake of being courteous - it's dangerous. No you go, no you go, I insist, no you go - both go and crash. Follow the rules! If it's your turn to go, trying to tell another driver who is FOLLOWING THE RULES to go is just as dangerous as someone breaking them!

Khyron

um...yeah that's right in a 4-way intersection and both cars decide to go at the same time you won't have any time to react and brake?! If you get into an accident in this situation either you don't know how to operate a car, or your flooring it to get through the intersection which you shouldn't be doing anyways.

The only way to get into an accident in the situation your describing is if you're a negligent, impatient driver. Dangerous...lol...it would be the driver who makes that situation dangerous, nothing about the situation is remotely dangerous.

Khyron
04-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by kdscalgary
Kyron,

If you don't believe me, then how about a couple of police services?

http://www.island.net/~cihp/columns/4_way_stop.htm

http://www.ci.holland.mi.us/police/faqs.htm#Traffic%20FAQ's
(scroll about half way down)

so, no, if i have been waiting for 10 minutes and you arrive, you certainly do not have the right of way. I realize that most people here are under the same impression as you so if I arrive at a stop sign a short time before a person who is going straight, I shrug my shoulders and let them assume the right of way. However, if I have been there for 10 minutes, you can bet that I won't be as accomodating.

I actually looked it up and the latest revision of the Drivers book is vague. But it does state that a person turning left cannot proceed until the way is clear. I also phoned the Calgary bylaw office and while the lady said I was right, she balked when I requested proof. So I have a voicemail waiting with one of the city safety planners.

It's far easier to follow the rule that "person going straight goes first" rather than trying to remember who arrived at a busy 2 way stop first, assuming there are several cars lined up. Also, on a 4 way stop, you yield to the right if cars arrive at the same time. If 2 cars going in opposite directions arrive at the same time to a 4 way, the left turner goes last. Same thing with traffic lights - we both have green lights, but left turners cannot proceed until it's clear, even if it means missing an entire light. Or 10 minutes worth of lights.

Khyron

Khyron
04-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

um...yeah that's right in a 4-way intersection and both cars decide to go at the same time you won't have any time to react and brake?! If you get into an accident in this situation either you don't know how to operate a car, or your flooring it to get through the intersection which you shouldn't be doing anyways.

The only way to get into an accident in the situation your describing is if you're a negligent, impatient driver. Dangerous...lol...it would be the driver who makes that situation dangerous, nothing about the situation is remotely dangerous.

Holy shit how long have you been driving? Have you never seen where 2 cars both go, then they both stop, then they both go again?! It happens all the time and it IS dangerous. Ask a cop!

Right of way is crucial which is why if you do decide to wave someone ahead, you have to commit to that decision and not change your mind if they start waving you on.

Or you could just follow the rules and go when you are supposed to.

Khyron

Orbie
04-15-2004, 08:21 PM

Holy shit how long have you been driving? Have you never seen where 2 cars both go, then they both stop, then they both go again?! It happens all the time and it IS dangerous. Ask a cop!

Right of way is crucial which is why if you do decide to wave someone ahead, you have to commit to that decision and not change your mind if they start waving you on.

Or you could just follow the rules and go when you are supposed to.

Khyron

lol, I've been driving for a good 7 years, and never ever have I seen two cars go at the same time in an intersection and get in an accident like you say lol! If you did you'd be a shoe in for a Darwin award!

I have however seen two cars trying to go but not know who got there first. This happens ALL the time like you say, no matter what, even in your idealic society humans are not perfect, and more often then not you'll get in a situation where it is tough to call who goes first. You said it yourself this happens all the time, if there was a signal that specified who should go next maybe this wouldn't happen, but unfortunately we all don't have precision judgement like you and will get into these situations.

WHEN this happens to me, I would be polite and wave the other person on, you would drive straight through while the other guy thinks it's his turn and you'd hit each other. But that's driver error, it's much more dangerous to just assume you have right of way and go like you say. Stubborness and being unpatient is what would get you in an accident here.

DJ Lazy
04-15-2004, 10:56 PM
WHEN this happens to me, I would be polite and wave the other person on, you would drive straight through while the other guy thinks it's his turn and you'd hit each other. But that's driver error, it's much more dangerous to just assume you have right of way and go like you say. Stubborness and being unpatient is what would get you in an accident here.

WTF?!?! NO.... he HAS the right of way... there should be no assumptions.. he has the right of way, you wait... You shouldn't have to wave him on.. just wait, let him go, and then you go...

Thats the problem.. you must be a bad driver... because you don't know the rules... If you knew the rules you wouldn't be argueing... If more people ACTUALLY knew the rules, then driving would be a pleasure, rather than torture, in Calgary... If everyone just KNEW and obeyed the rules, there would be no waving on, or assuming.. traffic would flow...

Cheers

Orbie
04-16-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

WTF?!?! NO.... he HAS the right of way... there should be no assumptions.. he has the right of way, you wait... You shouldn't have to wave him on.. just wait, let him go, and then you go...

Thats the problem.. you must be a bad driver... because you don't know the rules... If you knew the rules you wouldn't be argueing... If more people ACTUALLY knew the rules, then driving would be a pleasure, rather than torture, in Calgary... If everyone just KNEW and obeyed the rules, there would be no waving on, or assuming.. traffic would flow...

Cheers

lol, I think you didn't read my entire post, when I said "WHEN this happens" I was referring to the situation in the previous paragraph which says when two people get to an intersection and don't know who should go first. How can you arbitrarily assume that he has the right of way...nice one! So basically your telling me whenever I get to an intersection at around the same time as another person "he HAS the right of way"....right...you must fall into that Bad driver catagory you like to throw around too!

I know the rules and obey them, but AGAIN, in a situation where people get to an intersection at the same time and don't know who goes first, (I always assume the other driver doesn't know it's person on your left first) I would choose to wave then burn through the intersection and possibly cause an accident.

Obviously you guys are VERY emotional about this, and I don't want you guys to have a conniption fit or heart attack or something so let's just leave it as you have your opinion and I have mine and let's hope we never hit a 4-way at the same time lol!

Khyron
04-16-2004, 11:49 AM

lol, I think you didn't read my entire post, when I said "WHEN this happens" I was referring to the situation in the previous paragraph which says when two people get to an intersection and don't know who should go first. How can you arbitrarily assume that he has the right of way...nice one! So basically your telling me whenever I get to an intersection at around the same time as another person "he HAS the right of way"....right...you must fall into that Bad driver catagory you like to throw around too!

I know the rules and obey them, but AGAIN, in a situation where people get to an intersection at the same time and don't know who goes first, (I always assume the other driver doesn't know it's person on your left first) I would choose to wave then burn through the intersection and possibly cause an accident.

Obviously you guys are VERY emotional about this, and I don't want you guys to have a conniption fit or heart attack or something so let's just leave it as you have your opinion and I have mine and let's hope we never hit a 4-way at the same time lol!

What part of this do you not understand. If you have clear right of way (you are on the right), and you wave the other person on, you are creating confusion for no need. If you did that to me, I'd give you the finger and wait for you to get your head out of your ass. Making a gap when you are at a light to let me out of the parking lot into the roadway is being courteous and will always get a wave. Making room for a lane change is courteous.

You don't assume the other person doesn't know the rules - that's retarded. Do you stop at green lights just in case that person turning left doesn't know you have right of way? No, you watch the other person IN CASE it's an idiot and always be ready in CASE the person turns in front of you but you don't act pre-emptively and just stop.

Khyron

Orbie
04-16-2004, 12:03 PM

What part of this do you not understand. If you have clear right of way (you are on the right), and you wave the other person on, you are creating confusion for no need. If you did that to me, I'd give you the finger and wait for you to get your head out of your ass. Making a gap when you are at a light to let me out of the parking lot into the roadway is being courteous and will always get a wave. Making room for a lane change is courteous.

You don't assume the other person doesn't know the rules - that's retarded. Do you stop at green lights just in case that person turning left doesn't know you have right of way? No, you watch the other person IN CASE it's an idiot and always be ready in CASE the person turns in front of you but you don't act pre-emptively and just stop.

Khyron H

Khyron, as you are obviously getting very bent out of shape about this...I'm not going to say anymore. My last comments on this thread are: Read over my other posts, I have no idea where you are getting the situation about me being on the right? when did I ever say that...and I assume other people don't know the rules in a situation like a 4-way intersection so I am prepared if they do something dumb. Just like how you "watch the other person IN CASE it's an idiot and always be ready in CASE the person turns in front of you", not sure where all of a sudden that applied to stopping at green lights...

Khyron
04-16-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm not bent out of shape. But I do get annoyed with people that are so arrogant that they think the rules of the road do not apply to them, or that breaking then "only cause 10-20 seconds delay, who cares", etc.

And for the record, even the cops are not 100% clear on the rules for the case of a 2-way stop. The following rule is the one that would be enforced though. (2)

Division 9
Yielding and Stopping

Right of way at intersections
34(1) Except as otherwise provided in this Part or Part 2, when 2 vehicles approach or enter an intersection from different highways at approximately the same time, the person driving the vehicle to the left shall yield the right of way to the vehicle on the right.

(2) A person driving a vehicle shall not turn or attempt to turn the
vehicle to the left across the path of an approaching vehicle unless the turn can be completed in safety.

Which means you basically treat it like a green light. Which means person going straight goes first, then the left person goes while the next person going straight pulls up to the stop sign.

Khyron

kdscalgary
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM
This is appears to be a situation where people in different areas have a different take on the appropriate action for the circumstance. I talked to an RCMP friend in B.C. last night and he, like me feels it's a first come first go situation, however, a Calgary city cop friend is under the impression that it is the vehicle proceeding straight through that has the right of way. Unfortunately, the Traffic Acts in both B.C. and Alberta address rights of way with respect to 4-way stops as well as 2-way stops in so far as dealing with traffic on the highway that you wish to enter but not opposing traffic except of course that you can only turn when it is safe to do so.
So I guess what this means is that this little issue will continue to be an annoyance until a definitive rule is drafted regarding opposing traffic at 2-way stops. FYI, I sat and waited to make my turn at the stop sign this morning facing a guy going straight through and we just looked at each other waiting for the other to go. At least it will now be a source of amusement for me rather than aggravation.

Khyron
04-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Yah I'm kind of pissed that there isn't a clear cut rule on the subject. I'm almost positive it was spelt out in the older Alberta driving manuals (which would explain why Calgary drivers tend to follow that rule) but I went through all the new manuals and there's nothing. When the cops aren't even sure you know there's a problem.

I personally don't care which rule we go with - the straight > left turn is easier to deal with than having a his word vs her word about who was there first in the event of an accident so that would be my only reason for having a preference. But then keeping it the same as a 4way also makes sense. Just as long as everyone is informed.

But I will be a bit nicer to people in the future who don't know the rule seeing as you can't find it! :banghead:

Khyron