PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance and oil change schedule for new GLC 300 - wait 20K for first oil change?

Axe
07-07-2020, 07:13 AM
Would welcome perspectives on MB GLC 300 maintenance - says our first oil change does not need to happen until 20K kms.

Is metal shavings/small pieces still a thing when breaking in engines (feel like i'm dating myself here)....

Thinking of having an oil change done at 5k km and then going with the regular/suggested maintenance schedule

What are your experiences/thoughts with waiting 20k km between oil changes?

Thanks in advance for your perspective!

zechs
07-07-2020, 07:22 AM
Would welcome perspectives on MB GLC 300 maintenance - says our first oil change does not need to happen until 20K kms.

Is metal shavings/small pieces still a thing when breaking in engines (feel like i'm dating myself here)....

Thinking of having an oil change done at 5k km and then going with the regular/suggested maintenance schedule

What are your experiences/thoughts with waiting 20k km between oil changes?

Thanks in advance for your perspective!

Personally, I am of the opinion long change intervals have nothing to do with customer satisfaction (ie longevity).

The maintenance schedule has been designed to be as cheap and unintrusive to new buyers. As the manufacturers don't care about the vehicle after warranty, they design the schedules accordingly.

I suppose it really depends on how long you keep the vehicle (or if you are leasing it). If you get rid of vehicles under 150k kms or lease them, follow the suggested intervals. If you want to drive the vehicle into the ground... I'd do it every 10k kms or once a year.

Axe
07-07-2020, 07:31 AM
Thanks for that perspective; we are not leasing and intend to keep the vehicle; I would rather spend time and money on preventative maintenance up front...

ExtraSlow
07-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Early chance cannot hurt, and yeah, if you are already worried about it, maybe get that first one done soon. I assume you run full synthetic, so once it's "broken in" I'd be fine with the longer intervals. My wifes Odyssey, which also run full synthetic, gets one oil change per year.

bjstare
07-07-2020, 07:55 AM
I suppose it really depends on how long you keep the vehicle (or if you are leasing it). If you get rid of vehicles under 150k kms or lease them, follow the suggested intervals. If you want to drive the vehicle into the ground... I'd do it every 10k kms or once a year.

This for sure. If you’re gonna replace it in a couple years, follow the schedule. If you’re gonna keep it for 5-10 years, change it way more often.

ShermanEF9
07-07-2020, 08:05 AM

I don't really think thats a concern anymore. Most engines are broken in at factory. I think the "break-in" period the dealerships suggest is more so that you drive the car easier to understand it and as a safety thing, rather than a break-in period. That being said, do what you're comfortable with. If you want to change it early, theres no real negative effect.

redblack
07-07-2020, 08:14 AM
I would never wait 20,000km for an oil change it just seems crazy to me. For my cars I’d change it every 6,000km. Same goes for “lifetime” transmission and differential fluid, those need to be serviced too.

Axe
07-07-2020, 08:19 AM
Thank you for the perspectives; makes me feel like i'm not off in wanting to change the oil more frequently and thanks for the heads up re the tranny and diff. fluid changes - will have to build that into the maint. schedule.

HiSpec
07-07-2020, 09:22 AM
Thank you for the perspectives; makes me feel like i'm not off in wanting to change the oil more frequently and thanks for the heads up re the tranny and diff. fluid changes - will have to build that into the maint. schedule.

Will you take it back to Mercedes for your early fluids change? I am also on the fence where to take mine for early fluids change.

90_Shelby
07-07-2020, 10:50 AM
I'll be the odd man out and disagree with a number of the above recommendations.

Follow the maintenance guidelines from the factory as per the owners manual. They were put in place for a reason and anymore is a waste of money, any less will void warranty. Dealers or third party will often recommend higher intervals at their advantage to make more money. If it was a high performance vehicle that you were racing at the track or regularly abusing, maybe the higher intervals could be justified but for a regular daily driver it's not worth it, you'd be throwing money away with no long term benefit.

The manufacturer isn't going to risk a higher number of potential warranty claims by stretching out their recommended maintenance intervals which could potentially damage the drivetrain.

tonytiger55
07-07-2020, 01:14 PM
90_Shelby's post beat me to it and I agree.
It depends on how you are driving it but stick with the manufacturers guidelines in the owners manual.

The oil change per 5km is a old rule of thumb for older vehicles. I don't think that applies to modern vehicles, especially German.
To give a perspective. So I came to Canada in 2007. I was bemused by the high oil changes here. I dont know anyone that changes their oil every 5km back in London or the UK. It was always around the 20km mark or once a year. Even on shiity Euro cars like Peugoet. The wear is higher there as the diving is mostly start stop.

Here in Canada you have open roads with gentle accelerations from the lights. The only harshness you get are extreme temperature variations in winter, higher altitude and possibly driving more km. So why more oil changes, I do not know.

That being said.....I change mine every 5km( ive gone longer). I change it often not because I want to, its because Im driving a 18 year old vehicle and it is mainly so my mechanic can keep a eye on the the engine and the parts around it. That has paid itself off quite a lot as he has spotted stuff before it got worse. Also I do a lot of highway miles.

Your vehicle is new. You dont have to do the 5km and have your mechanic give it a once over like I do. So stick with the 20km or what it says in the Manual and you will be fine.

Axe
07-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Re taking to Mercedes: if I end up doing it earlier I'll go there and avoid any potential warranty issues.

I hear you re manufacturer claims - I am planning on keeping the vehicle beyond the warranty period and looking to mitigate potential issues as much as possible (although with the German cars you just never know it seems...)

90_Shelby
07-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Re taking to Mercedes: if I end up doing it earlier I'll go there and avoid any potential warranty issues.

I hear you re manufacturer claims - I am planning on keeping the vehicle beyond the warranty period and looking to mitigate potential issues as much as possible (although with the German cars you just never know it seems...)

I drive two "high performance" vehicles, one with ~600hp and one with 700hp, I drive them hard, I'll own them long term and rack up the miles on them. One of them has been out of warranty for several years and I still simply follow the manufacturer recommendations on maintenance. The only exception is that I will change the oil once a year if I don't put enough miles on it over the same time frame.

If I get to the point where I'm concerned about anything related to oil changes, I'd send off samples to blackstone for lab analysis before I simply increase oil change frequency expecting this to save an engine.

On that note, I could be completely wrong. If anyone has proof or documentation showing that increased oil changes would reduce the probability of rod bearings failing in an E9X M3, or lifters failing in an SRT Hemi powered car or Subaru engines from catastrophically failing, I'd love to read about it.

heavyD
07-07-2020, 03:18 PM
What are all the car guys obsessed with engine oil going to do when we go all EV? I have never understood why so many owners obsess about engine oil. So many people waste money and good oil changing it at short intervals. Just follow the manufacturer maintenance schedule with approved oils and your engine should last as long as possible.

killramos
07-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Oil changes are cheap, if it makes you feel better feel free to do them more often.

However I wouldn’t lose sleep over not changing your oil more than once a year or 10/15/20k km whatever the manufacturer is recommending. I would definitely change annually personally, that’s my standard frequency.

Again, oil changes are cheap.

rage2
07-07-2020, 03:37 PM
I drive two "high performance" vehicles, one with ~600hp and one with 700hp, I drive them hard, I'll own them long term and rack up the miles on them. One of them has been out of warranty for several years and I still simply follow the manufacturer recommendations on maintenance. The only exception is that I will change the oil once a year if I don't put enough miles on it over the same time frame.
That's not an exception that's a rule. Most manufacturers oil change period is x number of kms OR 1 year.

90_Shelby
07-07-2020, 04:01 PM
That's not an exception that's a rule. Most manufacturers oil change period is x number of kms OR 1 year.

Fair. I can't recall the exact time frame specified in my owners manual so I couldn't quote if I was following exactly their recommendations or not.

Edit: My Trackhawk is 10,000km or 6 months, CTS-V is 12,000km and unknown timeframe. The computer calculates the % of oil life remaining based on some formula i haven’t bothered to look up.

rage2
07-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Fair. I can't recall the exact time frame specified in my owners manual so I couldn't quote if I was following exactly their recommendations or not.
Yea MB is def 1 year. The car reminds me and counts down by days left instead of kms left.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-07-2020, 04:11 PM
I change my Corvette oil every 3-5 track days and 2500-3000km, it regularly sees 130-140°C oil temps and 115-122°C water temps at the track with aftermarket coolers. Lots of guys would say I’m wasting money, lots would say I’m risking my motor. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with imo.

bjstare
07-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Yea MB is def 1 year. The car reminds me and counts down by days left instead of kms left.

Audi is 1 year as well. Mine counts down both though. I'll def reach 1 year before I reach the km limit.

Xtrema
07-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Audi is 1 year as well. Mine counts down both though. I'll def reach 1 year before I reach the km limit.

All Germans are the same.

Toyota also switched to synthetic and yearly oil changes. But they still want you back every 6 months for inspections.

EDIT: Mazda used to be the worst offender also switched to yearly/16k oil changes.

So are synthetic standard now and 6k oil changes is finally a thing of the past? Does auto start/stop have a play into this?

Buster
07-07-2020, 05:03 PM
I ended up chatting with a relatively senior engineer at one of the large global oil companies that produces this stuff at an xmas party about this.

His comment was that modern lubricants are so advanced that the 1 yr/ 20,000km interval is even conservative nowadays for synthetics. You definitely don't need to do it more often than the spec.

(Similar conversations also convinced me that worrying about which gas station you go to is largely irrelevant as well.)

killramos
07-07-2020, 05:03 PM
My Sierra is also a year. I think my wife’s Lexus NX is 6mo?

schocker
07-07-2020, 05:44 PM
EDIT: Mazda used to be the worst offender also switched to yearly/16k oil changes.

Most of the mazdas are still 8,000 km or 6 months.
https://www.mazda.ca/en/parts-service/scheduled-maintenance/

Xtrema
07-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Most of the mazdas are still 8,000 km or 6 months.
https://www.mazda.ca/en/parts-service/scheduled-maintenance/

ah, 2019/20 Mazda 3 is the only one switched to the new schedule.

Axe
07-07-2020, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the thoughts and information; all very much appreciated!

HiSpec
07-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Toyota also switched to synthetic and yearly oil changes. But they still want you back every 6 months for inspections.

My friend recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha

max_boost
07-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Every 6 months alongside with the tires. 16k intervals I think and I change it around 12k :dunno:

s2k_boi
07-07-2020, 10:37 PM
My recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha

They sure do. Lol. If you look carefully at the 6 month service it’s just a check. If you want an oil change you would have to ask for it and pay.

Xtrema
07-08-2020, 08:00 AM
My friend recently bought a Toyota and a maintenance service package. I sure hope those 'inspection' don't count as one service package haha

Is that 3 year 6 services for like $1K? Yes, that one includes the inspection only service.

benyl
07-08-2020, 08:42 AM
(Similar conversations also convinced me that worrying about which gas station you go to is largely irrelevant as well.)

Costco and Superstore FTW! haha

My E63 was always filled at Costco.

Back on topic: You can take it to Mercedes for an early oil change, they won't reset the interval though, so you still have to come back 1 year after delivery.

heavyD
07-08-2020, 08:45 AM
Oil changes are cheap, if it makes you feel better feel free to do them more often.

However I wouldn’t lose sleep over not changing your oil more than once a year or 10/15/20k km whatever the manufacturer is recommending. I would definitely change annually personally, that’s my standard frequency.

Again, oil changes are cheap.

So is water but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to flush the toilet twice after every urination. The used oil still has to be disposed of and go through the recycling process.

killramos
07-08-2020, 09:05 AM
So is water but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to flush the toilet twice after every urination. The used oil still has to be disposed of and go through the recycling process.

Yea I’ll still flush twice if the bowl still stinks. Let’s try a better analogy for you; If you pinch off a piss halfway through will you still not flush?

You will burn more litres of petroleum driving one way to Canmore than you are “wasting” on an early oil change. This is not a significant problem.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2020, 10:14 AM
why would you only change half your oil? analogies suck

zechs
07-08-2020, 10:19 AM
I do find the comments that place trust in the engineers at various auto companies interesting.

While the maintenance schedules are certainly designed to minimize warranty claims, there is a difference between catastrophic failure and wear. Why would you place faith in said engineers that brought you disasters like GM dexcool, Ford triton spark plugs, Ford cam phasers, Ford stretched timing chains, Chrysler anything.

Not trying to be rude, just the faith that these manufacturers haven't penny pinched the maintenance as far as possible is misplaced. Not changing your oil doesn't affect your car immediately. If you did all highway miles, I'd go so far as to wager you could get away with never doing an oil change for over 150,000kms.

In fact, Bobistheoilguy I believe originally started when they took a brand new 2002 Camaro SS for 100,000kms with zero oil changes. Changed filters, topped up oil lost from samples and oil filter changes, kept on running it until they got bored.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2020, 10:28 AM
So who should you trust on maintenance intervals if not the manufacturer?

zechs
07-08-2020, 10:48 AM
So who should you trust on maintenance intervals if not the manufacturer?

Fleet managers, private shops who have high volumes of a specific vehicle, and doing some basic rational thinking.

We have to make the assumption that automotive manufacturers are in the business of making money. Just like Apple and planned obsolesence.

So carrying forward with these assumptions, they will try and keep typical failures to ~1% for warranty ,(I seem to remember that being a number).

Therefore, the intervals will certainly work for a period of time, especially in light duty scenarios (no start/stop traffic, longer drives where things get up.to temp and moisture/contaminents burn off).

Vehicles are also using a lot of new technologies, ones that are difficult to account for properly long term over local conditions and driving habits.

I think Killramos said it best, fluid changes in general are cheap. Relative to other costs, why take the risk? Its a service interval that they do not recommend going over; ie it is the maximum interval.

HiSpec
07-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Is that 3 year 6 services for like $1K? Yes, that one includes the inspection only service.

Yup. This is the one.
A bit of a money grabber considering I don't believe there are any other manufacturers that require the owner to bring the vehicle back for a 6-months check before the annual oil change.

90_Shelby
07-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Fleet managers, private shops who have high volumes of a specific vehicle, and doing some basic rational thinking.

We have to make the assumption that automotive manufacturers are in the business of making money. Just like Apple and planned obsolesence.

So carrying forward with these assumptions, they will try and keep typical failures to ~1% for warranty ,(I seem to remember that being a number).

Therefore, the intervals will certainly work for a period of time, especially in light duty scenarios (no start/stop traffic, longer drives where things get up.to temp and moisture/contaminents burn off).

Vehicles are also using a lot of new technologies, ones that are difficult to account for properly long term over local conditions and driving habits.

I think Killramos said it best, fluid changes in general are cheap. Relative to other costs, why take the risk? Its a service interval that they do not recommend going over; ie it is the maximum interval.

Do you have data to support your theory that increased fluid changes beyond the manufacturers recommendations has resulted in less maintenance long term or reduced part failures? If you have that data, I could be convinced.

zechs
07-08-2020, 11:23 AM
Do you have data to support your theory that increased fluid changes beyond the manufacturers recommendations has resulted in less maintenance long term or reduced part failures? If you have that data, I could be convinced.

The Bobistheoilguy forums are great for data.

Certain oils do clearly sheer down (thin) well before interval suggestions, as well as lose their additive packages.

As with anything, each vehicle and case use are specific to an individual.

I've taken a keen interest in this having just bought a new Ford. The timing chains/guides wearing have been linked to improper oil change intervals, so yes, there is some data to back it up. Do I have an excel spreadsheet of thousands of vehicles? No.

But I also talked to a friend who is a fleet manager for an oilsands site, and he said they changed their intervals lower than Ford recommended. No.problems now. Again, is that specific to.my usecase? No. But rarely is any data perfect.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Ya a mine site probably has specific challenges for fluids. Cold starts, idling, dust, i did an internship at a mine and the trucks were replaced at 50,000km. Lots had frame cracking.

The manufacturers design parts to last and provide maintenance recommendations. My 5.3 gm came from the factory with a 160,0000km powertrain warranty

zechs
07-08-2020, 01:02 PM
. My 5.3 gm came from the factory with a 160,0000km powertrain warranty

Does it? I wonder if they stopped doing that, 160k warranty is only offered on the 3.0L duramax now according to their website.

Considering the issues modern vehicles seem to have, manufacturers do not design parts to last. But that's why we are having a discussion about it, right? I would also point out that a cracked frame has nothing to do with fluid changes, I think we can both agree that is irrelevant to the discussion. But yes, cold starts (like in the city), start stop (like in the city), low speeds (like in the city), and short trips (like in the city) seems to mimic city driving pretty well.

For some, manufacturer recommendations will be the way to go. Most who buy new vehicles also don't keep them past 150k kms, so it will really be a non-issue regardless.

killramos
07-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Does it? I wonder if they stopped doing that, 160k warranty is only offered on the 3.0L duramax now according to their website.

Considering the issues modern vehicles seem to have, manufacturers do not design parts to last. But that's why we are having a discussion about it, right?

For some, manufacturer recommendations will be the way to go. Most who buy new vehicles also don't keep them past 150k kms, so it will really be a non-issue regardless.

That’s the standard warranty on the 2018 and old GM’s yea.

https://www.gmccanada.ca/content/dam/gmc/na/ca/en/index/warranty/02-pdfs/2018my-canadian-cbg-wm-23168736a-2017jul27-en.pdf

2019 and later its 5yrs/100

zechs
07-08-2020, 01:49 PM
That’s the standard warranty on the 2018 and old GM’s yea.

2019 and later its 5yrs/100

Guess they don't design parts to last anymore. Or they lost their shirts on offering warranty that long.

killramos
07-08-2020, 01:59 PM
Guess they don't design parts to last anymore. Or they lost their shirts on offering warranty that long.

Warranty’s are all about marketing.

They probably realized they didn’t gain many customers with the extra 60k km over 5 years, that or they make more money selling extreme km warranties than they sold more vehicles with the extra 60k power train.

RX_EVOLV
07-08-2020, 02:26 PM
On a similar topic, how often do you guys do the other maintenance stuff like brake fluid, air filter, etc.

The computer in our X5 gives service reminder every XXXkm OR 1 year, whichever comes first and we only drive it <10K/year. Since it's off warranty now, can I tell my mechanic to just do oil change and ignore the rest?

90_Shelby
07-08-2020, 02:38 PM
On a similar topic, how often do you guys do the other maintenance stuff like brake fluid, air filter, etc.

The computer in our X5 gives service reminder every XXXkm OR 1 year, whichever comes first and we only drive it <10K/year. Since it's off warranty now, can I tell my mechanic to just do oil change and ignore the rest?

That's all listed in the owners manual under the maintenance schedule.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-08-2020, 03:07 PM
GMs Diesel engines still have a 160k warranty. 2019 onwards 160k powertrain warranty was dropped. It definitely was a negative for me when I was considering a new truck.

I do brake fluid every 1-2 years or sooner depending on my vehicle and it’s use. As short as every track day on my track car. All depends on the usage.

ShermanEF9
07-08-2020, 03:22 PM
The Bobistheoilguy forums are great for data.

I've taken a keen interest in this having just bought a new Ford. The timing chains/guides wearing have been linked to improper oil change intervals, so yes, there is some data to back it up.

I wouldn't put any faith in an internet forum telling me what I should do with my vehicle.

I disagree. My 13 Ecoboost had timing chain failure at 76k and my oil was changed every 7500km. I now stretch my oilchanges on my 16 F150 5.0 to every 10k or so, and haven't had an issue. the timing chain failures on ecoboosts seem to be a complete crapshoot and maintenance schedule seems to have very little to do with it.

heavyD
07-08-2020, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't put any faith in an internet forum telling me what I should do with my vehicle.

I disagree. My 13 Ecoboost had timing chain failure at 76k and my oil was changed every 7500km. I now stretch my oilchanges on my 16 F150 5.0 to every 10k or so, and haven't had an issue. the timing chain failures on ecoboosts seem to be a complete crapshoot and maintenance schedule seems to have very little to do with it.

Yep. A forum full of people sharing oil analysis is nice and all but the reality is that the engineers that designed these engine actually know far, far more than anonymous internet posters. Like I said in my first post the best thing about EV's is that these circular engine oil discussions will be put to bed for good.

dirtsniffer
07-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Brake fluid is hydroscopic and its boiling point will lower over time. Depending on your use case, towing or tracking, are good examples of when you should shorten your or at least follow the manfuacturers recommended service interval.

ExtraSlow
07-09-2020, 07:30 AM
I think we should all admit that engineers don't write the warranty period or the maintenance schedule based on some mathematical formula. They are a BOTH a marketing and accounting decision made with some engineering input. Fleets look at TCO and less frequent maintenance factors heavily into that.

heavyD
07-09-2020, 09:23 AM
I think we should all admit that engineers don't write the warranty period or the maintenance schedule based on some mathematical formula. They are a BOTH a marketing and accounting decision made with some engineering input. Fleets look at TCO and less frequent maintenance factors heavily into that.

You know this as fact from experience working for an automaker? I don't work in the automotive industry but I do work in manufacturing and the engineers 100% decide on required 1-2 year spare parts list requirements. Sales and management take it from there and decide pricing inventory of such parts. I'm not willing to admit anything that I can't say is 100% true but I have a hard time believing that any marketing or accounting department is stretching the recommendations made by engineers as there's just too much money riding on potential warranty disasters and lawsuits. We really do need to give more credit to automakers for knowing what they are doing. Engines these days are remarkably reliable compared to when I started driving in the late 80's.

ExtraSlow
07-09-2020, 09:38 AM
I do not work at an automaker, and I guess I should clarify. I'm not trying to suggest marketing is straight up making things up, but more that there's a curve of failures vs time/mileage for a certain oil change interval (for instance) and where the company chooses to make it's recommendation based on those curves is a business and not an engineering choice.
I don't think that's particularly controversial, is it?

ShermanEF9
07-09-2020, 09:38 AM
It seems backwards to me that marketing and accounting would want to stretch service intervals, when that is a primary funding source of any dealership? I understand wanting to make it a positive for the consumer, but at the risk of addressing unnecessary warranty concerns?

ExtraSlow
07-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Dealerships are not the manufacturer.

JRSC00LUDE
07-09-2020, 10:04 AM
How does this oil longevity talk translate to motorcycles? I've always thought the recommended intervals on my Vstar 1100 were quite tight but I also don't know shit about shatner really when it comes to motorcycle engines.

ExtraSlow
07-09-2020, 10:18 AM
You'll crash your motocycle more frequently than you'll change it's oil. Fact. (Or maybe I don't know anything about motorcycles because I've literally never even ridden one, that's possible too.)

killramos
07-09-2020, 11:26 AM
I do not work at an automaker, and I guess I should clarify. I'm not trying to suggest marketing is straight up making things up, but more that there's a curve of failures vs time/mileage for a certain oil change interval (for instance) and where the company chooses to make it's recommendation based on those curves is a business and not an engineering choice.
I don't think that's particularly controversial, is it?

It’s really not a complicated concept. Engineering/Expert provide their input, the business makes decisions based on their own analysis.

Business 101

bjstare
07-09-2020, 12:49 PM
It’s really not a complicated concept. Engineering/Expert provide their input, the business then finds a way to cut as many corners as possible without it absolutely cratering, and that's what gets sold/recommended.

Business 101

ftfy

Misterman
07-09-2020, 08:55 PM
Thanks for that perspective; we are not leasing and intend to keep the vehicle; I would rather spend time and money on preventative maintenance up front...

I'm planning to keep my GLE400 as well. I change my own oil at 10,000km between the 20,000km service interval. The only thing I have ever seen come of these extended service intervals, is oil slugding and decreased reliability outside of warranty period. Anybody who ever made a vehicle last a million miles, will never tell you they scrimped on oil changes as part of their maintenance routine. So to me it is cheap insurance to just change it frequently.

sneek
07-10-2020, 10:46 AM
They sure do. Lol. If you look carefully at the 6 month service it’s just a check. If you want an oil change you would have to ask for it and pay.

That must be an insane profit margin for dealerships. They only have to "inspect" a new car every other time. No parts or other services required....insane!

jaylo
07-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Local shop recommended twice a year, or 8,000 km which seems about right/average usable lifespan of a good synthetic oil.

Recommended by BMW 12-15,000 km or annually, whichever comes first during your 4 year factory warranty.

shakalaka
07-11-2020, 05:18 PM
What's so bad about following whatever the timing/mileage pattern the car computer is designed to prompt?

Is it the belief that car manufacturers want their cars to die faster due to lack of proper maintenance schedule so people buy more cars? Like a conspiracy?

Misterman
07-12-2020, 04:26 AM
What's so bad about following whatever the timing/mileage pattern the car computer is designed to prompt?

Is it the belief that car manufacturers want their cars to die faster due to lack of proper maintenance schedule so people buy more cars? Like a conspiracy?

What's so bad? That extended oil service of 20,000km like Mercedes recommends nowadays, is linked to oil sludging, which wreaks havoc inside your engine. If you want to keep the car long term frequent oil changes are just cheap insurance. If you're not keeping it past 100,000km, then fuck it, let it be some poor suckers problem that buys it used down the road.

ThePenIsMightier
07-12-2020, 06:36 AM
It's been known for about 25 years that synthetic lubricants last radically longer than conventional. They were literally marketed that way in the early 90's to justify their exorbitant cost.
Then they stopped that marketing because the concept of frequent oil changes are so engrained in human males that they found they could still sell oil for 6x the price and Johnny KnuckleDragger would still dump that shit out after 5k "because I'd feel better if".

"Change oil every 5k" is one of the most classic examples of "because we've always done it that way" bullshit in society.

ExtraSlow
07-12-2020, 07:15 AM
I have an older relative who got so used to oil changes every 3000 miles that when Canada switched to kilometers, he stuck to 3000, so for decades, he's been using 3000 km as his interval. This is on regular domestic shit doing regular family duty too. It's incredible.

Misterman
07-12-2020, 08:46 PM
It's been known for about 25 years that synthetic lubricants last radically longer than conventional. They were literally marketed that way in the early 90's to justify their exorbitant cost.
Then they stopped that marketing because the concept of frequent oil changes are so engrained in human males that they found they could still sell oil for 6x the price and Johnny KnuckleDragger would still dump that shit out after 5k "because I'd feel better if".

"Change oil every 5k" is one of the most classic examples of "because we've always done it that way" bullshit in society.

Oil lasts longer, filters don't. Nothing wrong with running oil for 100,000km if you really want to, it's just imperative to be testing the oil at regular intervals to see it's quality and change when it needs it. Very few people want to deal with this, so just stick to known safe intervals instead.

ThePenIsMightier
07-12-2020, 09:55 PM
Oil lasts longer, filters don't. Nothing wrong with running oil for 100,000km if you really want to, it's just imperative to be testing the oil at regular intervals to see it's quality and change when it needs it. Very few people want to deal with this, so just stick to known safe intervals instead.

"Known safe intervals".
No. They just stick with what their granpappie's granpappy always told them.