PDA

View Full Version : No paperwork with my alignment 'check' and it turns out I didn't need it

The Cosworth
07-20-2020, 12:12 PM
Just a warning to you guys, I do a lot at home but sometimes there are things you can't do. I got new tires for my Wife's daily and the shop I went to is the sole distributor of the tires I wanted for her as they have the exclusive rights. Anyway they always 'check' the alignment and only charge you if it is needed. That afternoon I pick wifes car up and I was told it needed the alignment. Checking the paperwork, I don't have the spec sheet printout so I head back in where I am told the printer is broken, although I am holding a printed receipt and buddy stumbles his words a bit and turns flush..... spidey senses tingling.

Fast forward 3 weeks, multiple emails between myself, customer service, and the store. I finally get the spec sheet today (with the regional manager CC'd on the email). I see the reason right away..... hmmm and I reply with this:

Looks like only the right side front caster and the rear side rear camber was adjusted? Front Caster was 4.5 and max is 4.6, so it was within spec and rear camber was -1.1 and min is -1.5? It actually looked like rear camber was moved farther away from preferred which is -1? So to clarify it was in spec and didn't require the alignment done?

PSA is to either stick to Bob even if he maybe doesn't have that exact brand (but way less headaches) or make sure you get paperwork to prove the 'extra' charges.

The_Rural_Juror
07-20-2020, 12:15 PM
It's location dependent. Hal's Tire tried to do that once at one location. I changed stores and never had that happen again.

Tik-Tok
07-20-2020, 12:24 PM
You can just say it's Kaltire. Unless there's some other shop I've never heard of that has exclusive rights to a desirable tire brand (Nokian)

The Cosworth
07-20-2020, 01:12 PM
LOL yeah ok fair it was Hal's Tire. Manager is refunding me now. Guess I am going to Crossfield now.

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt and it was a mistake, with all the back and forth and bullshit it seems shady as fuck now.

KRyn
07-20-2020, 03:03 PM

94boosted
07-20-2020, 03:11 PM
94boosted sound familiar?

Lol yup. Shaganappi GM pulled the same damn stunt on me a few years back. I had to ask for a copy of the alignment print out out, as soon as I got home I compared the before and after specs, not only were all of the "before" within the recommended range but the only thing that changed from before to after was the front toe on one side moving by 0.01° (not a typo). I called the service manager and told him I could jounce the suspension and move the toe by more than that. He apologized, supposedly had a "conversation" with the tech and then refunded me for the alignment.

tirebob
07-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Just a warning to you guys, I do a lot at home but sometimes there are things you can't do. I got new tires for my Wife's daily and the shop I went to is the sole distributor of the tires I wanted for her as they have the exclusive rights. Anyway they always 'check' the alignment and only charge you if it is needed. That afternoon I pick wifes car up and I was told it needed the alignment. Checking the paperwork, I don't have the spec sheet printout so I head back in where I am told the printer is broken, although I am holding a printed receipt and buddy stumbles his words a bit and turns flush..... spidey senses tingling.

Fast forward 3 weeks, multiple emails between myself, customer service, and the store. I finally get the spec sheet today (with the regional manager CC'd on the email). I see the reason right away..... hmmm and I reply with this:

PSA is to either stick to Bob even if he maybe doesn't have that exact brand (but way less headaches) or make sure you get paperwork to prove the 'extra' charges.

Lol yup. Shaganappi GM pulled the same damn stunt on me a few years back. I had to ask for a copy of the alignment print out out, as soon as I got home I compared the before and after specs, not only were all of the "before" within the recommended range but the only thing that changed from before to after was the front toe on one side moving by 0.01° (not a typo). I called the service manager and told him I could jounce the suspension and move the toe by more than that. He apologized, supposedly had a "conversation" with the tech and then refunded me for the alignment.

Fuck these are the kinds of stories that make me embarrassed to be associated with the automotive industry! I seeing people get intentionally screwed like this... :thumbsdow

ercchry
07-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Kal has a wholesale network... shouldn’t be too tough to get any of their tires from basically anyone who is signed up with them

killramos
07-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Kal has a wholesale network... shouldn’t be too tough to get any of their tires from basically anyone who is signed up with them

Yup. Prices will be what they will be, but you are by no means obligated to use Kal to buy Nokians.

max_boost
07-20-2020, 05:20 PM
Fuck these are the kinds of stories that make me embarrassed to be associated with the automotive industry! I seeing people get intentionally screwed like this... :thumbsdow

i feel better about myself and how I run my biz when I read stories like this lol

ThePenIsMightier
07-21-2020, 06:24 AM
Doesn't Kal have Nitto locked up, as well?
Can you buy those elsewhere in the same manner?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-21-2020, 07:48 AM
Doesn't Kal have Nitto locked up, as well?
Can you buy those elsewhere in the same manner?

Not at all. I just put NT01 on my car last week at Spec R for $60/tire less than Kal Tire charges.

tirebob
07-21-2020, 09:12 AM
They kind of do yes, but with grey market supply there is always sources to get all kinds of things if one is willing. We pull Nitto out of an American wheel manufacturer who is huge with them in the states and they have a couple warehouses in Canada so they can sell it through their own system and nobody gets spanked.