PDA

View Full Version : Another....what car to buy thread..

tonytiger55
07-27-2020, 02:38 PM
What car to buy… its my turn.
Please contain your excitement.

Lets see what the Beyond hivemind says.

I need to change my CRV. I bought it initially to keep it for three years. Somehow its lasted eight. God bless those Samurai Engineers at Honda. But its time to move on...

Im looking to spend 15-20k, maaaaaaaybe to 25K(sih) with financing. Me and my gf are looking to buy a home. So I don’t want to spent too much over that (I need cash available for a new 90’ TV, gas stove for my delicious cooking etc.)
But I would like something reliable and practical (with a bit of vava voom). No domestics. No Germans, I cant afford the maintenance on my peasant salary.

I would like a SUV. Im mostly alone in Calgary and having a suv has proven to be practical in moving stuff/ getting stuff done, helping others etc.

I would like a 2019 CRV EX but its waaaay outa my budget. I can maybe stretch to the 2017/2018 model years. But I’m a bit scared due to the gas/oil issues. Anyone who owns a CRV with those model years please chip in with your thoughts and if you have had any issues.

My budget shows only a 2016 CRV (before the styling changes).

Ive test driven the Santa FE. Not a fan. It’s weird mishmash of good stuff and crap. It was like when I asked a distant family friend to make me a cheeseburger. It was all there, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes etc. But the way it was thrown together...it was made with with no love…just did not taste right.. if ya get my drift.

The Subaru Forrester felt too bouncy (My 2002 Honda gave a better ride – I am not joking). The sun visors were too small. Silly I know, but my gf is 5’1 and it was a sunny day and the visors did not help her.

Rav4 was better of the three. But my god it was boring. It reminded me of a hot ex girlfriend I used to date back in London. She was stunning, but so dull to be with.

I drove the new CRV last weekend. Aside from the rubberband CVT. It was the better out of the four (and outa my budget). The sales rep keep grinning at me and kept pushing me to spend 40K like its easy. Then another Honda dealership just called me and said its cheaper to finance $40k than $30k for a 2019. *sigh*:facepalm:

Other contenders are the Subaru Cross Trek (used).
Curve ball contenders: 2016 onwards, Honda Fit (Manual, if I can ever find one at a decent price.. Do I become a cheap ass and force my gf to learn manual? who knows.. im playing with random thoughts here)

Mazda CX5.. I know nothing about this and a friend keeps saying it still has a bit of Ford in it.
Are Nissans still to be avoided for the trans issues?
Lexus and Acura are outa my price range ( I don’t like the older models, they look bloated like they need to do a keto diet)

Do I continue my love affair and get another Zondalita?

Entertain me with your thoughts..

88CRX
07-27-2020, 02:42 PM
What year is your current CRV?

Why upgrade a old CRV to slightly newer (but still old) CRV or other SUV?

tonytiger55
07-27-2020, 02:49 PM
What year is your current CRV?

Why upgrade a old CRV to slightly newer (but still old) CRV or other SUV?

2002. I dont want to pump more moola into it to keep it running. Also tech and safety stuff is old...18 years. If im with my gf, Id like to be in something that a a bit more modern for safety.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2020, 03:06 PM
You like the crv, and it suits your lifestyle. Buy the newest crv you can afford without financing.

Don't over complicate this buddy.

redblack
07-27-2020, 03:12 PM
Beware of the fuel dilution problems with the crv. Hyundai makes nice feature loaded SUV’s/Cuv

you&me
07-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Have you looked at the new style GLE53s? One of those should suit you... I'm surprised no one has suggested one yet.

/end obligatory way off-the-mark Beyond car suggestion

Seriously though, 'Slow got it right - you know CRVs, you like CRVs, get another CRV.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-27-2020, 03:19 PM
Beware of the fuel dilution problems with the crv. Hyundai makes nice feature loaded SUV’s/Cuv

It feels like you didn't read the whole post.
He mentioned those problems, and asked for input from current owners.
He also talked about Hyundai already as well.

ExtraSlow
07-27-2020, 03:23 PM
Seriously though, 'Slow got it right - you know CRVs, you like CRVs, get another CRV.

ExtraSlow always gets it right. That's why he's the most reputable member of beyond.ca.

Mitsu3000gt
07-27-2020, 03:27 PM
What car to buy… its my turn.
I would like a 2019 CRV EX but its waaaay outa my budget. I can maybe stretch to the 2017/2018 model years. But I’m a bit scared due to the gas/oil issues. Anyone who owns a CRV with those model years please chip in with your thoughts and if you have had any issues.

My parents have a 2019 CR-V EX, my boss has a 2018 CR-V EX-L, and two of my good friends have 2018/19 CR-V LX's. Like you, they just drove the competition and decided they liked it best. None of them have had any issues, but it's barely been a year (or two) and of course they're all under warranty. There was a service advisory for the oil issue and I don't know that it affected later models. My vehicle has the same motor and it's been trouble free so far at 40,000km or so. The CVT is better than most, but it's still a CVT as you saw on your test drive. The way to go is the LX trim in my opinion, it is quite a lot cheaper than the EX and above trims and has most of the options people want including all of the safety tech like autonomous cruise w/low speed follow, lane keep, lane departure, autonomous braking, etc. The only thing they don't give you is the lane-watch camera in terms of the safety equipment. You give up things like leather, NAV (just use AA/ACP), and a power lift gate but you still get AWD and the list of standard features is long.
They're just great all-round vehicles with no major issues and tons of features/space. Everyone seems to want them too, so it's very easy to sell them after the fact or if your life plans ever change.

They hold their value so well, have you thought about leasing? Your total cost of ownership ends up being extremely low, and you get the luxury of not having any real commitment along with the rest of the leasing benefits. You can get them (LX trim) for almost $30K on the nose which makes a lease cost about $180+GST biweekly which is pretty cheap. If you have an existing CR-V you will probably get 1-2% loyalty discount off the lease rate as well unless it's too old. Then at the end of the 4 years or whatever, you may wish to just buy it out and sell it for ~$8K above the residual, or whatever the market price ends up being at the time. 2016 LX models are listed in the low $20K range currently, so only about $7K less than new after 4 years (residual is ~$14K). If you're set on buying it outright though, you will be limited to older used models if your max budget is $25K.

Just my thoughts anyway.

The_Rural_Juror
07-27-2020, 03:32 PM
SUVs are stupid. Honda Fit.

Skrilla
07-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Currently have a 2017 CRV EX-L. Mechanically its been good, but had a few small irritating issues like paint peel, seat stitching coming off, and battery drain. Owned it since new, I haven't been in it in a while but id guess around 40k kms total. Overall I wouldn't get another, but for the money it was good, and all the Honda Sense stuff is cool. My wife loves it.

90_Shelby
07-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Based on the following criteria, which I cherry picked, while ignoring the rest of your criteria, I think a Trackhawk makes the most sense.

- "I would like a SUV." This recommendation is an SUV

- "practical in moving stuff/ getting stuff done, helping others etc." I have done these exact things with mine.

- "But I would like something ................... (with a bit of vava voom)" With 707 hp, the Trackhawk has a lot of vava voom

- "Rav4 was better of the three. But my god it was boring." The Trackhawk is far from boring to drive.

- "I drove the new CRV last weekend. Aside from the rubberband CVT." ZF 8 speed, no concerns here.

The_Rural_Juror
07-27-2020, 04:07 PM
I change my vote to Trackhawk.

max_boost
07-27-2020, 04:28 PM
CRV, Rav4, CX5, Forester in that order if it were me

bjstare
07-27-2020, 04:32 PM
Think about a first gen RDX (2006-2011/12). VTEC turbo, and a (reasonably) good AWD system. Has all the basic creature comforts like heated seats, bluetooth streaming etc if you get a Tech package model. Practical. Seats are very comfortable.

We have a 2011 for my wife's car, and I've been toying with replacing it with an E400 wagon for a while now, but I just can't bring myself to sell the damn thing. Honda reliability, enough driving fun and engagement to keep you entertained, reasonably small while still being practical, great interior (for the price). You owe it to yourself to at least go drive one of them before you make your decision; I'd rather have it over lots of newer comparable cars and it should be very easy to get a great example within your budget.

spikerS
07-27-2020, 04:33 PM
PM'd. Have an option that ticks most of your boxes and is WAY under your budget...

88CRX
07-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Get an HRV.

Used AWD models fit within your budget. Used FWD are way under your budget. Or new base models are getting close to your budget.

Size is similar to your current CRV but has all that tech/safety stuff you want.

Slow as balls... but if you're considering a Fit then speed/HP must not be a concern.

JohnnyHockey13
07-27-2020, 04:59 PM
New car, new house...how long you been with this girl, son?

max_boost
07-27-2020, 05:19 PM
New car, new house...how long you been with this girl, son?

Maybe it's the ercchry school of dating where the girl pays for stuff!

redblack
07-27-2020, 06:01 PM

jwslam
07-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Think about a first gen RDX (2006-2011/12). VTEC turbo, and a (reasonably) good AWD system. Has all the basic creature comforts like heated seats, bluetooth streaming etc if you get a Tech package model. Practical. Seats are very comfortable.

We have a 2011 for my wife's car, and I've been toying with replacing it with an E400 wagon for a while now, but I just can't bring myself to sell the damn thing. Honda reliability, enough driving fun and engagement to keep you entertained, reasonably small while still being practical, great interior (for the price). You owe it to yourself to at least go drive one of them before you make your decision; I'd rather have it over lots of newer comparable cars and it should be very easy to get a great example within your budget.
+1 came to recommend the RDX I had.
Just cj sell to tony... win win for all?

Kloubek
07-28-2020, 12:13 AM
I really think you want to test drive that cx5. It is truly an excellent vehicle - albeit probably slightly less practical in favour of style.

bjstare
07-28-2020, 09:50 AM
I really think you want to test drive that cx5. It is truly an excellent vehicle - albeit probably slightly less practical in favour of style.

Depends if he wants to keep it for 2 years or 10 years. Aren't Mazdas still garbage in the longer term?

beyond_ban
07-28-2020, 09:52 AM
Based on the following criteria, which I cherry picked, while ignoring the rest of your criteria, I think a Trackhawk makes the most sense.

- "I would like a SUV." This recommendation is an SUV

- "practical in moving stuff/ getting stuff done, helping others etc." I have done these exact things with mine.

- "But I would like something ................... (with a bit of vava voom)" With 707 hp, the Trackhawk has a lot of vava voom

- "Rav4 was better of the three. But my god it was boring." The Trackhawk is far from boring to drive.

- "I drove the new CRV last weekend. Aside from the rubberband CVT." ZF 8 speed, no concerns here.

I have been motorcycle shopping but now i think i will just buy a trackhawk instead

The_Rural_Juror
07-28-2020, 09:57 AM
One trackhawk for sale in the city. Grab it while it lasts.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2020-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk/1477270716

pheoxs
07-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Depends if he wants to keep it for 2 years or 10 years. Aren't Mazdas still garbage in the longer term?

Older ones yeah, but 15-20k would get them a 2015+ which are actually really great in terms of reliability. Though if OP can get a 2017+ then they should definitely inch higher on their budget, the latest gen is really well made (minus the failed attempt at a diesel)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-28-2020, 10:01 AM

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 at work that has over half a million km on the chassis and hasn’t been a bad car at all.

90_Shelby
07-28-2020, 11:08 AM
I have been motorcycle shopping but now i think i will just buy a trackhawk instead

If you roll down the windows while driving the Jeep, it's pretty much the same as riding a motor bike anyways.

You've made the right choice and I'm sure the OP will recognize this as well. Maybe you guys can set up a Beyond group buy discount?

got_mike33
07-28-2020, 03:41 PM
I am going to say 2012 RAV4 Limited V6. I just picked one up and it is a great car so far. Tons of tech that some modern cars still lack: push button start, steering wheel controls, dual zone climate control, auto dimming rear view mirror, proximity key with door locks, heated front seats, the back seats slide forward to give more room to an already roomy trunk area (and the seats also recline), rear view camera, even the stereo is pretty decent. V6 engine has a good bit of pep to it as well. Only downside is the read hatch opens horizontally instead of vertically. The 4th gen RAV4s are so incredibly boring, but if you can find a 2012 with a V6 I think you'll be in a good spot. The price I paid was near the bottom of your budget range.

Or other option might be the Highlander Hybrid, 2011-2013 may be at the top of your price range, but they are pretty nice vehicles as well.

silvercivicsir
07-28-2020, 04:10 PM
my Vote is a 2012 Forester XT.

ThePenIsMightier
07-28-2020, 06:44 PM
One trackhawk for sale in the city. Grab it while it lasts.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2020-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk/1477270716

Nice fuckin back seat, LoL!!!

A Silence Of The Lambs level of comfort.

The_Rural_Juror
07-28-2020, 06:51 PM
You are right.

I change my vote to the FF.

90_Shelby
07-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Nice fuckin back seat, LoL!!!

A Silence Of The Lambs level of comfort.

The backseats recline, they’re not fixed in that position.

killramos
07-28-2020, 06:57 PM
Jeez beyond. What happened to always recommending G63’s.

You can tell we are in a recession when a Jeep is our over the top car of choice.

beyond_ban
07-28-2020, 06:58 PM

Can they go more erect? I feel like those are a bit too saggy for me, big posture guy

nzwasp
07-28-2020, 07:06 PM
tonytiger55

I accidently just bought 6 carfax reports so if you need any let me know. Also if you want to buy a gently used toyota highlander also let me know :D

speedog
07-28-2020, 07:06 PM

Yupp, way more comfortable...

SKR
07-28-2020, 11:24 PM
What car to buy

Trackhawk.

my gf

I also wouldn't mind getting a look at her to make sure she's up to spec.

Disoblige
07-28-2020, 11:35 PM
I'd try to get an older CRV, haha. 2001 or older! Or stick with 2nd gen.

Some good first gen or 2nd gen units that are JDM if you want to go that route. Less than $10k and should last you another 5 years or more. Wonder if most parts are easily sourced here.

haggis88
07-29-2020, 02:41 PM
I'd try to get an older CRV, haha. 2001 or older! Or stick with 2nd gen.

Some good first gen or 2nd gen units that are JDM if you want to go that route. Less than $10k and should last you another 5 years or more. Wonder if most parts are easily sourced here.

My '98 CR-V was one of the best vehicles I ever owned :D

88CRX
07-29-2020, 03:16 PM
So the suggestions vary from "downgrade to an older, less tech-y CRV" to a "700hp Jeep".

Never change beyond.... never change :rofl:

Disoblige
07-29-2020, 04:30 PM
My '98 CR-V was one of the best vehicles I ever owned :D

:love:

The_Rural_Juror
07-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Bros...

There is a 2018 Trackhawk at Regal Auction. No reserve. What is a good price?

90_Shelby
07-29-2020, 07:37 PM
How many km and what year? For comparison, I paid $90k +GST for mine about a year ago, 2018 with 5600km. MSRP was $128k. Mine also came with extended warranty, tint and PPF on the front half of the car.

Based on this thread there could be a bidding war between you and the OP. I’m sure he’s leaning towards the Jeep.

Coincidentally a friend sent this meme today:

JRSC00LUDE
07-29-2020, 07:44 PM
ExtraSlow always gets it right. That's why he's the most reputable member of beyond.ca.

I says PARDON.

ExtraSlow
07-29-2020, 07:54 PM
I says PARDON.

Check the reps thread young padawan

The_Rural_Juror
07-30-2020, 07:43 AM
https://regalauctions.com/inventory/SUV/CALGARY/2018-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-TRACKHAWK-4D-UTILITY-4WD-62L/77620.htm

Disoblige
07-30-2020, 08:14 AM
That is not in very good shape. Needs fully interior detail, 4 new tires, windshield, full exterior polish and chips filled, mileage isn't exactly low...
$50k max IMO, assuming there are no mechanical issues down the road due to poor maintenance.

The_Rural_Juror
07-30-2020, 08:27 AM
The previous owner sure liked to keep the LR tire off the ground. Looks like a wreck. Alas. Teslas are quicker anyway. (puts on flame suit)

90_Shelby
07-30-2020, 11:17 AM
If it went for $50k, I’d be very surprised, that’s way cheaper then any Trackhawk I’ve seen for sale in North America. I think $70-75k would be a reasonable price. The chips and sandblasted rear wheel flares are unfortunately pretty standard for these Jeeps, the sticky Pirelli toss rocks like crazy and that’s where they land. New tires and a windshield for an auction car also isn’t a surprise and will cost a couple of grand.

When I bought mine last year there was another one with 20-25k km on it, and similar shape as this auction Jeep, needed new tires, windshield and had a few spots of body damage, it sold for around $85k for comparison.

88CRX
07-30-2020, 11:22 AM
Yea I feel like dirty interior, cracked windshield, bald tires and rock chipped paint is pretty much guaranteed on 95% of used vehicles.

Shocker, most people dont take care of their vehicles!

tonytiger55
08-01-2020, 10:25 AM
Get an HRV.

Used AWD models fit within your budget. Used FWD are way under your budget. Or new base models are getting close to your budget.

Size is similar to your current CRV but has all that tech/safety stuff you want.

Slow as balls... but if you're considering a Fit then speed/HP must not be a concern.

I test drove the HRV (Manual) a while back. The power to weight ratio is shit. Not bad, not good. Just shit. It has the same fuel consumption as a CRV.
So I personally found it a bit pointless why anyone would buy that.
The Fit has low hp but the size and manual transmission make it a fun drive to nip around the city.

I am not a fan of domestic, but I do have to admit I would make a exception of the Grand Cherokee if I was on a better salary.

I test drove the Mazda Cx5 yesterday. At the showroom it looked amazing. It really did. Then we took it for test drive.
What a load of bollocks. Really. It has the worst steering wheel. It was like it was made out of cardboard. Seriously wtf?
Its funny, once you get it and get going you don't notice the fancy stuff as much. It was the non turbo and was revvy as hell. There was a nice sport switch...not a button. When pressed it jumped the revs but there was no torque. All that for a switch. If your going to put in a switch, why not change the colours on the dash or something. You know, or do something like the Knightrider car did. Nope nothing. I did not find the ride very comfortable, it was not that it felt firm. It just felt cheap. The whole drive felt like driving a cardboard box. It felt like the Maza was just garnish.
It pissed me off as I had watched so many car reviews on youtube. So many of the car reviewers got their dicks out on this and danced around the car with their hands in the air. Like the Mazda CX5 was the new messiah and we should bow to the new overlord... a drivers SUV.. They talked about the engineering and what the designers were doing. What a load of wank. Seriously. We are at the pinnacle of human civilisation and engineering and Mazda made this crap?

I was so depressed the whole evening yesterday. I sat in silence a lot of the time, disturbed at what I had experienced. My gf even asked what the fuck is wrong with me.

Buster
08-01-2020, 10:30 AM
I don't think you should buy a cx-5

Disoblige
08-01-2020, 10:33 AM
Dude don't buy a CX-5. It is garbage.

The interior is miles behind when I saw the crap leather in there. Feels so CHEAP. The only thing acceptable for power was their GT model with the turbo but for that price I rather buy a CR-V anyday.

vengie
08-01-2020, 11:28 AM

:love:

Is this yours?

bjstare
08-01-2020, 11:48 AM
Drive a turbo rdx.

Darkane
08-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Not to hijack, but regarding that trackhawk it runs out of warranty in 5k.

Some stupid reason SRT vehicles only have 3/60 powertrain in Canada. Nice, huh?

gpomp
08-02-2020, 03:37 PM
I test drove a new CRV and CX5 back to back. There’s no doubt the CX5 is a better car but to each their own :dunno::dunno::dunno:

FraserB
08-02-2020, 03:47 PM
If you want to try out an RDX, I’m just down the road from you.

Team_Mclaren
08-03-2020, 12:56 AM
Dude don't buy a CX-5. It is garbage.

The interior is miles behind when I saw the crap leather in there. Feels so CHEAP. The only thing acceptable for power was their GT model with the turbo but for that price I rather buy a CR-V anyday.

.... Same gen for either car, the CX5 has way better interior than the CRV

Disoblige
08-03-2020, 01:04 AM
.... Same gen for either car, the CX5 has way better interior than the CRV
Like latest 2020 gen? I seriously disagree. CRV is way better interior, noticeably better, in my opinion. I went to do side by side comparison at Calgary Honda and Kramer Mazda.

vengie, no not mine but always loved 1st gen CRV tastefully modded.

tonytiger55
08-03-2020, 11:23 AM
I test drove a new CRV and CX5 back to back. There’s no doubt the CX5 is a better car but to each their own :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Fair play.
Did you drive the Turbo? What did you like about the CX5? What did you not like about the CRV?
Im just wondering if there is anything I missed on the CRV.

FraserB
If you want to try out an RDX, I’m just down the road from you.

Might take you up on that later, hell.. we can go for ice cream. There is that XO ice cream place down the road.

ExtraSlow
08-03-2020, 11:39 AM
we can go for ice cream.

The_Rural_Juror
08-03-2020, 11:45 AM
You stay out of the bromance.

BigDL
08-04-2020, 09:33 AM
Its funny, once you get it and get going you don't notice the fancy stuff as much. It was the non turbo and was revvy as hell.

That is your problem right there, god the non turbo was a piece of turd. I test drove both.

We have a 2016 Civic touring, engine is okay, but the CVT has some quirks and drives me nuts at times. I never test drove it as for how we would want it equipped it was pretty damm pricey, and with it being at least 250kg heaver than our civic I don't think it will be enough power when driving to Vancouver fully loaded with people and luggage.

I live near Royal Oak auto mall and that place is the best for test drives. Take it down Stoney going east, turn around at Beddington Trail then come back up the hill.

FraserB
08-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Might take you up on that later, hell.. we can go for ice cream. There is that XO ice cream place down the road.

Shoot me a PM if you want to, I’ll be around more after the weekend

tonytiger55
07-12-2021, 12:57 AM
I finally bought a new car....
I am sure you are all sitting with great anticipation on what it could be?! You can all sleep soundly tonight knowing Tony Tiger is not driving a 19 year old rust bucket.

Yeah... I bought another Zonda CRV...

Its like that scene from the movie Highlander 2. When the main character is aged and old. Then boom! In an explosion, he walks out young and refreshed. That is what we have here. Out with the old CRV and in with the new.

After test driving Subaru, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai and a few others (also watching a ton of online reviews). Then factoring in affordability, reliability, long term repairs, practical aspects of it, driving dynamics and things I wanted. I found this to be the better vehicle for me. You know what the best part is..? I have a heated steering wheel! You have no idea how much joy this brings me..
I must say. Going from a 2002 to a 2021 is a bit of a mind bender. The technology, car development, seat and driver ergonomics & driver aids. Cars have changed a lot...The car drives itself on the highway... like WTF..? ...bloody hell!

I spent the whole day trying to find a dealership to get the deal done. I bought the SUV from Honda West. I contacted them first by phone at around 9am in the morning. They gave me the price in writing. I drove to two other dealerships but I ended up driving to Honda West at the end of the day to finalize the sale.
The whole process at Honda West was a joy to deal with. I am not joking. I was not expecting that at all. I am shocked. They even gave me a loaner car for a few days till mine was ready. This was the only place that worked with me in solving my problem rather than selling me a car. It probably the text book example of how a sale should be done. Work with the customer, solve the problems or address the needs and get the sale done.

Heritage Honda were just a waste of time. They would not even give me a price that was too high. Then when they did, they just kept on playing games on insisting I should buy from them if they match the price. I left and I drove to Okotoks Honda after.
I know there are positive experiences from people who have bought from Okotoks Honda. My experience was not positive there. Without going to too much detail...In short they struggled to compete on price and accessories. I felt they were just relying on their reputation. As soon they could not compete on price, the whole old school style negotiation tactics kicked in. Sales manager arrived, parts managher arrived etc, 'if I match the price are you going to buy.. etc. I even had to call Honda West in front of them to prove the price I was given was correct. After three and a half hours of being made to wait and talking. Okotoks could not match the deal.
They tried to match the price, beat it by $500 (told me it was the finaly offer, they dont do this etc) when I actually sat in my vehicle to leave. But the deal itself still was not great. As the accessory offered by Honda West dealt with my needs.
But I did not like the way I was treated at the end. I respect it if a business cannot compete on price. Thats fine. Move on. No big deal. But I dont like rudeness. To be told I can buy $10 matts from Canadian tire. Or even to be told about their problem of only getting $500 for my vehicle. I certainly don't like to be told to take off the tow hitch on a 2002 Honda CRV and put it on a 2021. Come on.

Its the first car I have ever bought from a dealer. Few big lessons I learned that payed off.
Do not rely on reputation. Do your homework, go online, find the prices. That is your benchmark. Don't be afraid to break down the numbers in front of the sales rep. Not for their sake, but for the sake it makes sense to you. Im not smart guy, so I like to write things out and break it down. There is no shame in doing that. I nearly signed with Okotoks. When I broke down the pricing and ran the numbers several times. It was more than Honda West.
Also find what specific things you want or mean more to you. This is super crucial. So my task was to see what prices the dealerships are offering and if the match. Then if a price is matched, what is important to you? For example. I personally don't need free oil changes I have a mechanic. I dont need winter tires. I got tirebob for that. So when the sales manager puts you in the spot, if you dont know what you want then free car mats or oil changes might tip you over the edge to signing. Even if you dont need them. FYI Oil changes might be free, but the servicing has to be done at the dealer.
Don't answer back or be rude. I found keeping my mouth shut worked in my favour. Especially sitting back and watching the sales show. There is a lot of shame and psychological play in getting you to sign. Start with the problem you hve and you will find the sales rep/manager will actually deal with the problem or dance around the problem. Watch for that. There is no harm in walking away or sticking by what you want.

Mine was probably the easiest car sale a sales rep could get. All I wanted was a vehicle at a competitive price, no gimmicks added on. A hitch attachment for a bike rack that I would pay for and thats it. The financing would be easy as I have done most of that part for them (my credit is great, down payment is ready etc). Simple eh?
This was a lesson on how some car dealerships can take something very simple and make it complicated for no reason.

Overall Im happy with my purchase. I am really happy with the way Honda West resolved all my problems throughout the buying process. Its not what I expected but if anyone is looking to buy a Honda. Thats who got my business.

Buster
07-12-2021, 01:10 AM
Dude...

Only buy cars over email nowadays.

spikerS
07-12-2021, 01:39 AM
Dude...

I have a pretty good relationship with my normal ford guy, except for my '21 F150 he didn't seem interested in helping me get it. But I did buy Baygril's car from him over the phone without seeing it first. I just showed up to sign the docs and drive away.

my '21 F150 I bought over FB messenger...Just awaiting delivery.

I still visit lots to see vehicles in person, but, you are right, I find there is virtually no need to step foot inside a dealer anymore except to sign paperwork, and even then, that can be done virtually now too.

And Congrats TT, enjoy the new car smell!

ExtraSlow
07-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Sounds like you got the vehicle you want at a price you like. That's a good outcome.

haggis88
07-12-2021, 11:54 AM
A solid choice!

I do like the new style of the Honda line up, but I wish they had a fullsize offering!

Pauly Boy
07-12-2021, 01:09 PM
Dude...

Last 3 have been this way with a phone call here/there for clarification. I must say the Calgary luxury dealers seem to have had this down long before covid hit for us out of town folks. My Acura lease deal back in 2015 was a couple phone calls and emails. Same with my Lexus & Mercedes quotes after that car was done. Seems the other dealers finally figured it out when their hand was forced during the pandemic. I look forward to avoiding all those tweed sportscoat wearing motherfuckers from now on, lol

mrsingh
07-12-2021, 03:09 PM
I finally bought a new car....
I am sure you are all sitting with great anticipation on what it could be?! You can all sleep soundly tonight knowing Tony Tiger is not driving a 19 year old rust bucket.

Yeah... I bought another Zonda CRV...

...Overall Im happy with my purchase. I am really happy with the way Honda West resolved all my problems throughout the buying process. Its not what I expected but if anyone is looking to buy a Honda. Thats who got my business.

But dude, no manual!!

Just kidding, congratulations on the purchase, looks like a nice car!

Darkane
07-12-2021, 03:48 PM
I didn’t know Honda sold trackhawks

schurchill39
07-13-2021, 09:18 PM
I didn’t know Honda sold trackhawks

Should race 90_Shelby for pinks

90_Shelby
07-14-2021, 09:35 AM
Pretty sure I'd have this one in the bag but I'm down either way.

We can line up on 7th ave downtown today around lunch time, not much traffic and it's fairly straight.