PDA

View Full Version : Odd dealership ad wording

98brg2d
08-07-2020, 06:01 PM
I keep seeing this odd wording in ads from dealerships, pertaining mostly to used cars:

“This vehicle may be leased or financed by anyone*, however, due to the recent increase in fraudulent vehicle purchase activity, Xxx dealership reserves the right to decline any form of payment, including but not limited to cash, bank draft, certified cheque, EFT, or credit card. .*on approved credit, see dealer for details.”

So what they seem to be implying is they won’t sell a vehicle outright they will only finance or lease it. I’m not sure if in practice they won’t sell outright but I can’t believe this is actually necessary due to fraud. I’ve only ever bought vehicles with bank drafts, unless it was financed, in which case the down payment has also always been made by bank draft.

Anybody have any recent experience with dealerships not willing to sell outright? How would you even buy without those financial instruments?

ExtraSlow
08-07-2020, 06:05 PM
This Automaxx or house of cars? Dealerships like that make more money on financial services than vehicles. Like 3x or 4x as much.

98brg2d
08-07-2020, 06:15 PM
This Automaxx or house of cars? Dealerships like that make more money on financial services than vehicles. Like 3x or 4x as much.
No, one was a VW dealership in Edmonton, one was a Dodge dealership in Claresholm.

ExtraSlow
08-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Well, maybe just talk to em? The legal fine print is horseshit anyway.

98brg2d
08-10-2020, 12:14 PM
I'm not super interested in anything they have right now but its something that turned me off. It doesn't look like they are putting their best foot forward to earn business and its easy enough to look elsewhere.

It is also interesting, to me, to see what dealers are trying to do to/with their customers.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-10-2020, 12:22 PM
I’ve had dealers refuse to sell for a “cash” price before, usually name brand dealers not aftermarket.

ExtraSlow
08-10-2020, 12:23 PM
I’ve had dealers refuse to sell for a “cash” price before, usually name brand dealers not aftermarket.

Guess I'm no expert, have bought very few vehicles from dealerships. Just going on hearsay.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Guess I'm no expert, have bought very few vehicles from dealerships. Just going on hearsay.

I think it’s usually a case of them wanting to maximize profits but also I once had a dealer flat out tell me I couldn’t afford to pay cash so to stop wasting their time which was insulting.

Buster
08-10-2020, 12:44 PM
I think it’s usually a case of them wanting to maximize profits but also I once had a dealer flat out tell me I couldn’t afford to pay cash so to stop wasting their time which was insulting.

I get treated much differently depending on whether I am wearing "work" wear or "work from home" wear.

killramos
08-10-2020, 12:49 PM
Unless it was Calgary BMW, where you could walk in wearing a suit made of money and still get treated like garbage :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Unless it was Calgary BMW, where you could walk in wearing a suit made of money and still get treated like garbage :rofl:

Yeah this is my experience as well.

Generally at most dealers the worst I dressed and the shittier vehicle I showed up in the better I was treated, it’s like they assume you’re more likely to make bad decisions and have no knowledge of the industry.

03ozwhip
08-10-2020, 12:54 PM

Agreed. I boight my X5 in sweat pants. Its how I roll these days.

killramos
08-10-2020, 01:06 PM
I mean I guess it means they are treating people equally lol

I remember they were so bad when I was enquiring about upgrading to an M2 that I walked next door and bought a C63 cash for less money than what they wanted for the M2’s lol

To be fair, I was dealing with a young guy last spring when I was looking at M5 and M850’s who was super upstanding and got me a number of test drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah this is my experience as well.

Generally at most dealers the worst I dressed and the shittier vehicle I showed up in the better I was treated, it’s like they assume you’re more likely to make bad decisions and have no knowledge of the industry.

Yea I was driving my Jeep when I was shopping for an M5 last summer which raised a couple eyebrows haha. 0 fucks given.

Nakadah
08-10-2020, 09:30 PM

This has happened to me too and it is so frustrating... I have always though that they can get away with this because there are very few people that can pay in full.

A790
08-11-2020, 07:40 AM
I mean I guess it means they are treating people equally lol

I remember they were so bad when I was enquiring about upgrading to an M2 that I walked next door and bought a C63 cash for less money than what they wanted for the M2’s lol

To be fair, I was dealing with a young guy last spring when I was looking at M5 and M850’s who was super upstanding and got me a number of test drives.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I was driving my Jeep when I was shopping for an M5 last summer which raised a couple eyebrows haha. 0 fucks given.

I wound up buying a Lexus because the BMW in the Glenmore Auto Mall had "no one available" to show me a car and they "didn't take appointments".

98brg2d
08-12-2020, 09:35 AM
So it sounds like dealers are missing out on deals but I guess they don't care if they still sell all the cars they order. It's just another example of poor customer service. I would guess disallowing cash sales on used cars helps make up for the lost financing revenue on new cars when there is a significant cash sale discount.

tonytiger55
08-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Pretty much this.
Not all..just to be clear on that. But some of the dealerships are just bad loan sharks. The car is just the instrument to get the person into the door.
They prey on some of the most vulnerable people in society. There are some people who have no money, shitty credit or have found themselves in a difficult situation in life.
They get into a vehicle with 20% interest or more. Its impossible for a person to get out of that. They default and the dealer gets and car back and the cycle repeats.
In the past I have had clients stuck on this and I have tried to help them out, but the interest rate is so bad. I am disgusted how some of these financial contracts are even legal.

Right now on the car side I am seeing a there is a inventory issue and possibly a financial issue. People would be returning their cars and getting into another vehicle. This is not happening. Or they can't qualify for car payments. So instead they hold onto the cars. Dealerships have low inventory, plus hailstorm etc. There is a demand for used vehicles. Car prices go up.
Im personally struggling to find anything decent right now.

Anybody have any recent experience with dealerships not willing to sell outright? How would you even buy without those financial instruments?

On them former, not yet. but I will report back as I am seeing some cars this week. But the problem is, they are sold before I even pick up the phone.

On the latter part,... financial discipline. Buy with cash and non new. Ive been saving a little amount(not much) since I got my old vehicle in 2012.
There is no set rule that you must have car payments. Car payments have a purpose depending on ones scenario of course. But I am seeing it is becoming some sort of perverse culture that people must have. Like a badge of honor. I don't know about anyone else on here. But my vehicles were always used. I am seeing people having new vehicles with payments. I don't get it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-12-2020, 11:16 AM
I've never had a dealership refuse a cash sale, though most dealerships act like it's a privilege to do business with them while they pretend you don't have options.

98brg2d
08-13-2020, 08:11 AM
On the latter part,... financial discipline. Buy with cash and non new. Ive been saving a little amount(not much) since I got my old vehicle in 2012.
There is no set rule that you must have car payments. Car payments have a purpose depending on ones scenario of course. But I am seeing it is becoming some sort of perverse culture that people must have. Like a badge of honor. I don't know about anyone else on here. But my vehicles were always used. I am seeing people having new vehicles with payments. I don't get it.

I meant at a dealership that won't accept one of the listed instruments and when purchasing outright. The only other method I could think of is a wire transfer, which most people have never done, and carries risk (if the routing is very convoluted for some reason, money can and does go missing and can be almost impossible to trace, even with the legal requirements for any person processing a part of the transaction). I guess you could also do a cash deposit directly into their account at their bank, instead of handing over cash at the dealership location, but that is still a cash sale.

tonytiger55
08-13-2020, 08:51 AM
I meant at a dealership that won't accept one of the listed instruments and when purchasing outright. The only other method I could think of is a wire transfer, which most people have never done, and carries risk (if the routing is very convoluted for some reason, money can and does go missing and can be almost impossible to trace, even with the legal requirements for any person processing a part of the transaction). I guess you could also do a cash deposit directly into their account at their bank, instead of handing over cash at the dealership location, but that is still a cash sale.

Ohh gocha..

I was just thinking about it from the other perspective.
It got me thinking. I think its for a number of reasons. Mostly to protect themselves I guess as well. From a business perspective, cash costs more to process at the bank. Depending on the bank, they will charge you more for cash deposits. The there is the headache of chain of custody for handling such a large volume of cash.

I think its more to do with fraud and their right to refuse. I remember when I was running a family business here. You do get some shithead customers with dodgy credit cards, and cheques. When I worked at the bank the amount of crazy people that would try to pull fraud was insane. Even when your trained in identifying it. It still can be tough.

A790
08-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Who pays for cars in cash these days when the amount is more than a few grand? Like actual cash? I can see why some dealers refuse large paper-cash transactions.

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2020, 09:00 AM
I think 99% of the time a "cash" deal really just means bank draft. Would be cool to walk in with a brief case handcuffed to your hand though haha.

A790
08-13-2020, 09:05 AM
I think 99% of the time a "cash" deal really just means bank draft. Would be cool to walk in with a brief case handcuffed to your hand though haha.

Fuck that. One time I had to move $100k in cash (not mine) and it was the second-most stressful experience of my life.

EDIT: A LEGAL $100k lol

ExtraSlow
08-13-2020, 09:05 AM
Banks get pretty pissy if you want more than 10k cash without an appointment. Especially the smaller branches

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2020, 09:07 AM
Fuck that. One time I had to move $100k in cash (not mine) and it was the second-most stressful experience of my life.

EDIT: A LEGAL $100k lol

I think I would have a heart attack carrying that around in actual cash haha. It would look very suspicious I'm sure.

A790
08-13-2020, 09:09 AM
I think I would have a heart attack carrying that around in actual cash haha. It would look very suspicious I'm sure.

Yep. And it sat literally under a mattress as "retirement savings" until we found out about it.

killramos
08-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Banks get pretty pissy if you want more than 10k cash without an appointment. Especially the smaller branches

My favourite question is “how did you get this money”

Um, it’s called a job. Do you think I dress like this for comfort?

The_Rural_Juror
08-13-2020, 09:18 AM
I thought that tellers are legally obligated to ask to see your penis above a certain dollar amount?

bjstare
08-13-2020, 09:22 AM
Nvm.

killramos
08-13-2020, 10:00 AM
I thought that tellers are legally obligated to ask to see your penis above a certain dollar amount?

I don’t think it’s an obligation, more of a job perk.

Ca_Silvia13
08-13-2020, 10:06 AM

I used to sell cars at Nissan and i sold a Titan to a guy who wanted to pay for the entire truck in cash. That raised a lot of eyebrows with the GM and finance office.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-13-2020, 10:07 AM
I used to sell cars at Nissan and i sold a Titan to a guy who wanted to pay for the entire truck in cash. That raised a lot of eyebrows with the GM and finance office.

I assume because someone actually wanted to buy a Titan?

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2020, 10:08 AM

Can you even get that kind of cash from a bank? I Feel like that would be difficult. Though by the sounds of it that customer probably wasn't a fan of the banks haha.

Neil4Speed
08-13-2020, 10:17 AM
I am so happy someone posted about this - I meant to, and forgot.

Earlier in the year I was trying to buy a car for my parents from a Go Mazda Dealer in Edmonton. Put an offer in (within 3% of their asking, based on a dead comparable in Kelowna), and they declined. Sure enough, about a week later they drop the price lower than my offer and I call and ask who should I get the bank draft written out to at their asking price. Its at this point they state that we must finance the vehicle, no other options available and they will not take a cash (bank draft) .

I contacted AMVIC, and they said that it was a 'grey area' (surprise, surprise)... and suggested I don't purchase the vehicle.

I was dumbfounded, hard recession, oil price in the real shitter (this is February time), and they won't accept an offer on a luxury vehicle in cash? I thought it wasn't correct, so I contacted their head office, and sure enough Go Auto would not sell any vehicle unless it is financed. It is their rule to 'avoid fraudulent activity'. I even got a draft made out to the dealer for the full amount of the bill of sale and sent it to them with a photo - still, no go. Real reason they do this, they get a kick back from the bank. It was a policy that was put in place and was not mentioned on the website at that time anywhere. Go Auto essentially owns many of the major dealers in Edmonton. Long story short, bought the car from BMW Kelowna, and could not be happier.

Obviously really poor practice, people are free to not buy their vehicles, but I bet there will be people pulled into financing arrangements which they are not able to handle.

muse017
08-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Earlier in the year I was trying to buy a car for my parents from a Go Mazda Dealer in Edmonton. Put an offer in (within 3% of their asking, based on a dead comparable in Kelowna), and they declined. Sure enough, about a week later they drop the price lower than my offer and I call and ask who should I get the bank draft written out to at their asking price. Its at this point they state that we must finance the vehicle, no other options available and they will not take a cash (bank draft) .

I contacted AMVIC, and they said that it was a 'grey area' (surprise, surprise)... and suggested I don't purchase the vehicle.

I was dumbfounded, hard recession, oil price in the real shitter (this is February time), and they won't accept an offer on a luxury vehicle in cash? I thought it wasn't correct, so I contacted their head office, and sure enough Go Auto would not sell any vehicle unless it is financed. It is their rule to 'avoid fraudulent activity'. I even got a draft made out to the dealer for the full amount of the bill of sale and sent it to them with a photo - still, no go. Real reason they do this, they get a kick back from the bank. It was a policy that was put in place and was not mentioned on the website at that time anywhere. Go Auto essentially owns many of the major dealers in Edmonton. Long story short, bought the car from BMW Kelowna, and could not be happier.

Obviously really poor practice, people are free to not buy their vehicles, but I bet there will be people pulled into financing arrangements which they are not able to handle.

Can you take the finance deal and then just pay the loan off next day? Of Course I'd grind down the price a bit more as well.

A790
08-13-2020, 09:02 PM

Greasy.

2002civic
08-13-2020, 10:36 PM

Sponsoring Mcdavid and Gretzky costs a lot of cheddar.

Gman.45
08-13-2020, 11:49 PM

The word went out at the start of the Covid thing - that's what they told my father anyhow. He's been at the same bank for nearly 20 years now since he retired/medicaled out from being LE. He decided he wanted 10k cash at home just in case. The bank flat out refused at first, the teller at the counter did, then the manager came out and asked him why he wanted it, and then told him it was safer "in the bank anyway". He argued, a lot, she eventually gave him $3k and said that was the limit. He called the customer service line and told them what happened, and he had to get them to force the branch manager to give him $10k, which took a couple days (understandable, and that used to be the policy, you could order in as much as you wanted, but it would just take a few biz days to get it in). Stupid, but that's what they've been doing in my father's city in SK at least.

JordanEG6
08-14-2020, 12:27 AM
From a revenue perspective, cash buyers make the dealer almost no money. From anyone's experience, do dealerships sneak in weird BS fees and hidden costs on the final price of the car to make up part of what'd they'd lose on a finance deal? I've heard of dealerships in the US that do this.

killramos
08-14-2020, 06:30 AM
The word went out at the start of the Covid thing - that's what they told my father anyhow. He's been at the same bank for nearly 20 years now since he retired/medicaled out from being LE. He decided he wanted 10k cash at home just in case. The bank flat out refused at first, the teller at the counter did, then the manager came out and asked him why he wanted it, and then told him it was safer "in the bank anyway". He argued, a lot, she eventually gave him $3k and said that was the limit. He called the customer service line and told them what happened, and he had to get them to force the branch manager to give him $10k, which took a couple days (understandable, and that used to be the policy, you could order in as much as you wanted, but it would just take a few biz days to get it in). Stupid, but that's what they've been doing in my father's city in SK at least.

lol that would have been the day I close my accounts and walk across the street.

Neil4Speed
08-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Can you take the finance deal and then just pay the loan off next day? Of Course I'd grind down the price a bit more as well.

This was the part that they were really shady on. They said, technically I could, but would prefer that I keep it for 6 months. Since they didn't really feel confident of the approach I didn't want to deal with it.

From a revenue perspective, cash buyers make the dealer almost no money. From anyone's experience, do dealerships sneak in weird BS fees and hidden costs on the final price of the car to make up part of what'd they'd lose on a finance deal? I've heard of dealerships in the US that do this.

So, unless a dealership is being sleazy like my experience, is it better to walk in essentially keep it ambiguous on how you want to pay until the numbers are finalized?

JordanEG6
08-17-2020, 05:47 PM
So, unless a dealership is being sleazy like my experience, is it better to walk in essentially keep it ambiguous on how you want to pay until the numbers are finalized?

I thought about this in getting sales to give me the bottom line first (final price, fees + tax in), while being ambiguous on how I want to pay and not saying anything until they move me to the Finance dept., but then I am afraid that an experienced salesman may see this tactic coming and it may not work out in my favor.

98brg2d
08-20-2020, 02:56 PM
I thought about this in getting sales to give me the bottom line first (final price, fees + tax in), while being ambiguous on how I want to pay and not saying anything until they move me to the Finance dept., but then I am afraid that an experienced salesman may see this tactic coming and it may not work out in my favor.

I think they are going to push pretty hard for an answer about financing with them or a third party before they start negotiating on price. I think the best way is to say you are leaning toward in house financing and then change your mind later after negotiations. Then you aren't telling them you are committed to one way or the other and they shouldn't get mad if you choose not to finance in house.

I guess another way to avoid finance fees would be to use the Beyond route and HELOC that shit. Not having a line of credit, I don't actually know how to pay for something with a HELOC/LOC. I need to ask my wife, that's how she pays for school.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2020, 03:42 PM
IMO what you generally want to do is:

1) Get the dealer to show you their cost. If they won't, find a new dealership or salesperson. You can get it yourself for ~$30, so them not showing you is just a slap in the face. Most dealers have CarCostCanada subscriptions as well so it doesn't even cost them anything, and that way you see the number from a third party (CCC) rather than one of their internal documents which they could potentially play games with.
2) Negotiate a fair profit with full transparency. Often this is something like $500 for cheaper vehicles, $1000 for more expensive ones and so on. It's not an exact science. I know that wont apply to every scenario, but for most "normal" cars it should.
3) Then, tell them how you want to pay. Sometimes there are specific incentives for leases vs finance or whatever, so you will need to take that into consideration, but you should be able to get that information beforehand easily anyway to make your decision.
4) Do not pay any admin fees, glass etching fees, "security" fees, "doc" fees, etc. 100% money grab. If they need to have that fee on the invoice because reasons, it comes out of their side and they can deal with the number juggling. The best dealerships don't even have these fees to begin with because more and more customers these days realize they are complete BS.

That's just what has always worked for me regardless of brand, I know everyone likes to deal a little differently but full transparency is my preferred method and I think most dealers will play ball if they know they're getting the sale.

spikerS
08-20-2020, 04:07 PM

The reasons for this is 2 fold. 1, it is a security measure. Banks keep minimal physical cash in the branch in the case of a robbery. It also helps to keep their insurance costs lower. And 2, it prevents a run on banks. If something happens they are not aware about and people panic and a bunch of people try to withdraw their savings...well, things get ugly quick. So SOP is notify the bank you want to make a large withdraw, and they will arrange it. They place an order from their depot or whatever, and a secuirty truck will deliver it to the branch just before you pick it up.

hurrdurr
08-20-2020, 04:59 PM
I've been noticing a some dealer ads for cars with a cash price significantly lower than a financed price. I saw an ad for a Kia Stinger it was $52,000, when you hover over the price it said something like $4000 Cash incentive. To finance the vehicle the price was $4000 more however they were offering 0% financing. They weren't even trying to push towards a loan with their lender with an interest rate so I found it confusing that there would be such a variance in price with no incentive.

Tik-Tok
08-20-2020, 05:06 PM
. So SOP is notify the bank you want to make a large withdraw, and they will arrange it. They place an order from their depot or whatever, and a secuirty truck will deliver it to the branch just before you pick it up.

Or do what we did. Took $1000g out of the bank machine each day for a week.

adam c
08-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Or do what we did. Took $1000g out of the bank machine each day for a week.

Whoa... Do atms even have that kind of money?

So reading this thread, if you get a bank loan from your bank instead of say a go auto loan, they won’t sell you the vehicle cause you didn’t finance through them

Tik-Tok
08-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Whoa... Do atms even have that kind of money?

So reading this thread, if you get a bank loan from your bank instead of say a go auto loan, they won’t sell you the vehicle cause you didn’t finance through them

Lol, obviously meant $1g

To the second point, this is probably where a lot of "oh sorry, there was a miscommunication and another salesman already sold that car even though you left a deposit" comes from.

RX_EVOLV
08-20-2020, 10:38 PM
Am I interpreting this thread correctly ? Say if I go to a dealer and they have a car that I want (new or used), but their finance rate is 4.99%. I cant cut them a bank draft from my HELOC to buy it since the rare is 2
99%? They might consider this a "cash deal" and potentially decline the sale?

dirtsniffer
08-20-2020, 11:02 PM
I've been noticing a some dealer ads for cars with a cash price significantly lower than a financed price. I saw an ad for a Kia Stinger it was $52,000, when you hover over the price it said something like $4000 Cash incentive. To finance the vehicle the price was $4000 more however they were offering 0% financing. They weren't even trying to push towards a loan with their lender with an interest rate so I found it confusing that there would be such a variance in price with no incentive.

Thats the cost of financing and there should be rules of hiding interest rates like that

hurrdurr
08-21-2020, 09:52 AM
Thats the cost of financing and there should be rules of hiding interest rates like that

What am I missing if the interest rate is 0%?

never
08-21-2020, 10:11 AM

0% plus $4,000 cost to finance versus paying cash. So your financing costs are much higher than 0%.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2020, 10:13 AM

They inflate the purchase price by the same or more dollar amount they would have made by financing you the car at say, 3% at a lower purchase price. That is one reason why you don't tell them what you want to do before you negotiate a sale price, but some dealers are extremely shady.

tonytiger55
08-21-2020, 10:22 AM
0% is only on new cars.
Example 0% financing on a new 40k SUV. Or 3-8% on a vehicle that 3 years old at 28k.

Mitsu3000gt
08-21-2020, 10:25 AM
0% is only on new cars.
Example 0% financing on a new 40k SUV. Or 3-8% on a vehicle that 3 years old at 28k.

You can sometimes finance used cars at 0%, but with used they have even more of a"black box" to work with on pricing, so they make all the same money off you anyway as if you had financed it - you just pay it upfront.

HiSpec
08-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Also, some lenders will give you the option to buy down the rates with more down.