PDA

View Full Version : Where can you buy music from now?

SKR
08-08-2020, 09:36 AM
Alternatively, this thread could be titled "why do people have to wreck things", or "old man yells at cloud".

The majority of my new music intake is through CDs that I either buy through Amazon or at the mall. In the last year or so, I started buying music on Google Play. I still prefer a physical copy because I generally like full albums, but I'll buy digital if it's just for one song or if a CD isn't available. Now Google Play is finished at the end of the month.

So where do I buy music? I'm not interested in streaming services, apps or monthly subscriptions. I want to pay for the song/album, download it, and then I own it. With Google Play going away, does that type of thing exist anywhere?

A790
08-08-2020, 09:38 AM
https://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/

HHURICANE1
08-08-2020, 12:28 PM
prostudiomasters.com/

ExtraSlow
08-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Because of platforms changing. My family has decided not to attempt to purchase digital copies of music. We've been burned before.

Streaming is very good, and if you want you can (with some platforms) download and listen off your device just like an "owned" copy.

SKR
08-08-2020, 01:51 PM
https://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/

No apps I said, first thing you have to do is install an app. The problem with an app is that somewhere some nerd will decide he can do it better, everything moves over to that and then you're fucked. Also I feel like having m4a files instead of mp3 will almost certainly fuck me somewhere along the way.

prostudiomasters.com/

This looks like it would be the cock for dolly, but their catalog seems pretty thin for things I'm interested in. But I'll keep looking around in it.

Because of platforms changing. My family has decided not to attempt to purchase digital copies of music. We've been burned before.

Streaming is very good, and if you want you can (with some platforms) download and listen off your device just like an "owned" copy.

I'd like to know more about streaming services that don't require a monthly subscription and can be saved as mp3s. Streaming isn't an option with my mp3 player, so I'd have to be able to save the files on my computer in a format that my mp3 player will understand, and then transfer them over.

I understand I'm swimming upstream here.

Buster
08-08-2020, 03:55 PM
Jesus dude it's 2020 lol

rage2
08-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Haha no doubt. iTunes been around 20 years. Buy songs, save, and you won’t use an app anymore. Unless your “mp3” player is a decade old it’ll play aac files fine. If not you can convert it with iTunes. :dunno:

SKR
08-08-2020, 05:07 PM
Haha no doubt. iTunes been around 20 years. Buy songs, save, and you won’t use an app anymore. Unless your “mp3” player is a decade old it’ll play aac files fine. If not you can convert it with iTunes. :dunno:

So do you know an equivalent to Google Play like I asked for or not?

I understand going after the boss is kind of a bold move, but holy shit I hate not-an-answer answers.

rage2
08-08-2020, 06:32 PM
So do you know an equivalent to Google Play like I asked for or not?

I understand going after the boss is kind of a bold move, but holy shit I hate not-an-answer answers.
I didn’t give you an answer. Someone else did with iTunes. I was merely suggesting that your concerns aren’t concerns. You’ve set an impossible criteria for an answer.

Fact is google Play and apple iTunes are the only 2 big players available with extensive selections. Unfortunately you need an app to purchase through iTunes. If you are in the states you can buy thru amazon.com website, but their selection isn’t as good and requires a US credit card. amazon.ca doesn’t sell digital.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Google play music is being discontinued by the end of the year. It was accessible by Chrome browser nicely.

SKR
08-08-2020, 07:39 PM
I was merely suggesting that your concerns aren’t concerns.

I appreciate that they aren't concerns for most people. That's how we ended up with streaming services being more common. But I don't want to do it that way if I don't have to, and I don't know if I have to or not if I don't ask. This isn't a "what car should I buy" thread where everybody suggests a Trackhawk, this is serious business. I'm spending upwards of $20 a year here.

Edit: I'm a rigid old fuck and intolerant to any kind of change. If the battery wasn't almost completely shot I'd still be using my Microsoft Zune, and the bitterness from that is bleeding over into this.

Google play music is being discontinued by the end of the year. It was accessible by Chrome browser nicely.

If I had any rep to give today there'd be a big shit piss fart coming your way.

rage2
08-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Just leave him a negative rep. Don’t be a pussy and sign that shit. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
08-08-2020, 08:34 PM
Just leave him a negative rep. Don’t be a pussy and sign that shit. :rofl:

Nice. Now I'm getting negative rep from this thread.

SKR
08-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Nice. Now I'm getting negative rep from this thread.

You mess with the bull you get the fuckin horns.

Kjonus
08-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Funny timing on this as i just got some cd's today that I ordered off of Amazon today. Here I thought I was the only one still has this way of thinking..lol

ExtraSlow
08-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Owning physical media is one thing. "owning" legal copies of purely digital files is a hassle.

JRSC00LUDE
08-09-2020, 08:31 PM
I hate that Google Play is ending. I don't want YouTube Music.

I'm yelling. At the Cloud.

ExtraSlow
08-09-2020, 08:35 PM
YouTube music is less good for me.

killramos
08-09-2020, 08:40 PM
I hate that Google Play is ending. I don't want YouTube Music.

I'm yelling. At the Cloud.

The... iCloud?

Misterman
08-10-2020, 03:20 AM
No apps I said, first thing you have to do is install an app. The problem with an app is that somewhere some nerd will decide he can do it better, everything moves over to that and then you're fucked. Also I feel like having m4a files instead of mp3 will almost certainly fuck me somewhere along the way.

No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.

ThePenIsMightier
08-10-2020, 07:36 AM
No. Put the program on your computer. Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place. If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be, you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want, it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.

This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.

rage2
08-10-2020, 07:51 AM

The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.

SKR
08-10-2020, 08:24 AM
No.

Yes.

Put the program on your computer.

Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.

Download whatever you want to buy, full album or single. Boom, you own a copy. If itunes disappears for whatever reason, who cares, you still have an mp3 copy of everything. Right click, drag down, select the whole library, copy, open new folder on desktop, paste. Now you can manage or move your library however you see fit.

Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.

I'm not really sure what your issue is here? itunes does what you want better than Google Play ever did in the first place.

It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.

If you enjoy making things harder than they have to be,

Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?

you can go to youtube, copy the url of a song you want, paste it into a free online MP3 converter, then move the MP3 file to whatever folder you like just like you could have done with itunes, except with an extra step involved.

Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.

It sounds like the main issue here is not that you can't find something to do what you want,

You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.

it's that you're not quite familiar with what itunes is or how it works.

Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.

SKR
08-10-2020, 08:32 AM
The main issue is he doesn't want to change buying mp3's straight from a website. He doesn't want apps or anything because he doesn't like change. Which is weird because he just changed to buying on a website a year ago.

I don't have any philosophical opposition to using an app. I just want to be able to hand someone money, they hand me the thing and that's the end of the transaction. Maybe I'm crazy but I have a real problem with doing things I don't need to do.

iTunes is probably the best place now, but I thought maybe instead of Google Play there was a Bing Play or Ask Jeeves Play that I didn't know about.

rage2
08-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Try amazon.com and see if they still geofence purchases to the US only. That’s your only bet with a half decent selection. You’ll be paying a lot more for what you want tho than iTunes.

SKR
08-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.

I only ever got into Google Play because I was looking for two Satyricon albums that aren't currently available on CD, Volcano and Now, Diabolical. Google Play had Now Diabolical with the least amount of fucking around, so that's how I ended up there. The only place I found selling Volcano is Amazon. Even iTunes doesn't have that one.

Buster
08-10-2020, 10:00 AM
Just pirate. Lol

A790
08-10-2020, 10:52 AM
ITT: old man yelling at cloud and other old people yelling at the old man.

SKR
08-10-2020, 10:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYAuR5bkIlQ

Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.

C4S
08-10-2020, 11:52 AM
I normally buy my "CDs" from Japan …

This year, just order online...

My wife did set up Spotify / itune for me, so I can listen to the Japan BGM, but being an Asian guy born in the 70's … I still have no clue ..lol

killramos
08-10-2020, 12:00 PM
I feel like AM radio is more SKR’s speed.

No app required.

rage2
08-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Just pirate. Lol
That needs an app.

Amazon.com doesn't specifically say it's US only, but when I try to buy I get into a loop. In my cart I click buy, and then I get "We were unable to process your order with the current payment information. Please click 'Continue' to select a default payment method and 1-Click address." So click continue, and it puts me back into my cart to click buy again. I'm sure that when they say "current payment information" they mean my not-American credit card. An Amazon.com gift card might get me around that. I've never looked into how to get one of those in Canada.
So still geofenced. Good luck with the impossible haha.

Misterman
08-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Yes.

Like I said, yes. The first thing is to install shit.

Yeah that's what Google Play does, without the step of installing anything.

It doesn't seem like it. Google Play was easy. I'm not even sure I needed to create a password. I don't know how it could be any easier than going to the site, searching for whatever, buy it, download it, done. The things you've said only add to that process.

Like installing programs that shouldn't be necessary?

Yeah it's the extra steps I'm trying to avoid.

You're wrong. The issue is that I want something exactly like the thing I already use.

Here's another shocker for you, I don't know how anything that I've never used works. From your post I don't get the impression you know what Google Play is or how it works either.

I have an Android phone now, switched from Apple, I have Google Play, it is shit by comparison to Itunes. I'm same as you(or maybe not as it's really hard to decipher what you want right now, you're kind of flopping back and forth), I don't want extra BS steps, and I want to own my music that I paid for on my personal property, not in some fucking cloud somewhere that it can disappear someday. Itunes accomplishes this.

I realize you don't want to install anything because it's an extra step. However it is a one time step and it is done, you don't have to go to some website and enter a password or worse yet your credit card and billing info every single time you want one song. It sounds like you would prefer being able to go to a store and purchase Mp3's like the way you would've purchased cumbersome CD's 15 years ago, which is ironic because driving to the mall and fighting crowds seems like a pretty major extra step in the purchase process by comparison.

If you are genuinely looking for the simplest way to purchase music and physically own it, then give itunes a whirl. If you're just venting to be angry about change and disguising it as a question, then vent away.

Good luck either way.

- - - Updated - - -

This week's edition of Primarily Accurate Advice Given In A Needlessly Condescending And Cunty Way has been brought to you by Misterman.

Customers rely on Misterman for much of their condescending advice needs. Please visit us on our website or Instagram for more details and future engagement opportunities.

I like to continue the tone of the poster. It's my super power.

killramos
08-10-2020, 08:07 PM
One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed :rofl:

rage2
08-10-2020, 08:25 PM
One workaround. If you just buy an iPhone or a Mac then you don’t need to download the app. It comes pre installed :rofl:
Might as well get him on Apple Music while we’re at it. Also pre installed!

SKR
08-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.

killramos
08-11-2020, 07:05 AM
Everything I like goes away. That's the bigger problem. As soon as the universe sees that I'm starting to figure things out, it pulls the rug out from underneath me and then it's gone.

Poor Muffin

ExtraSlow
08-11-2020, 07:53 AM

I think that's probably a good reason to not attempt to "own" digital media at all. Embrace the ephemeral nature of the universe, pay for a streaming service that has offline listening, and stop worrying about making a long-term commitment to companies that aren't long-term businesses.

Continue to buy physical media too.

ThePenIsMightier
08-11-2020, 08:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYAuR5bkIlQ

Also, I'm pretty disappointed "Ask Jeeves Play" isn't getting bigger laughs.

AskJeevesPlay was pretty funny. I was going to reply with #DogpilePlay or #MetaCrawlerPlay but I was too tired after shitting gold bricks on Misterman and digging up classic Evan Dando collab's.

duaner
08-11-2020, 10:25 AM
I don't understand streaming or why the interest in it. I prefer to own my music and play whatever, whenever I want. CDs are great so I can rip to the quality and format I want. However, since CDs are produced less and less, I just stick to iTunes, as I can at least convert from aac to mp3, if for some reason I need to. From when I last looked into it years ago, aac is slightly better quality than the equivalent bit rate mp3 anyway. Other than that, Bandcamp offers indie stuff that can be downloaded in many different formats, including alac, flac, and wav.

killramos
08-11-2020, 10:45 AM
It would cost me wayyyy more money to buy all the new music I listen to every month on a streaming service than Apple Music has ever cost me.

If you want to listen to the same 3 80’s rock albums for the rest of your life, yea streaming isn’t for you, but if you like to mix it up an all in streaming service is well worth the single digit dollars a month it costs me.

Want to talk about a rip off? Some people pay 15-20 bucks a month for sat radio in 2020 :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
08-11-2020, 02:38 PM
This is why vinyl came back so big isn't it?

A790
08-11-2020, 02:52 PM
This is why vinyl came back so big isn't it?

Life expectancy has been rising. All these old gits gotta git there Garfunkle from somewhere.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm more of a Simon man myself.

rage2
08-11-2020, 05:23 PM
I'm more of a Simon man myself.
Have you ever hear Paul Simon sing Bridge Over Troubled Water in concert by himself? It's a nightmare. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

ExtraSlow
08-11-2020, 05:27 PM
I'm more about the wristband, album version.

Misterman
08-15-2020, 07:46 AM
It would cost me wayyyy more money to buy all the new music I listen to every month on a streaming service than Apple Music has ever cost me.

If you want to listen to the same 3 80’s rock albums for the rest of your life, yea streaming isn’t for you, but if you like to mix it up an all in streaming service is well worth the single digit dollars a month it costs me.

Want to talk about a rip off? Some people pay 15-20 bucks a month for sat radio in 2020 :rofl:

Sat radio is tits. I won't pay for any streaming services, I'm lucky if I find 10 songs a year I care to download, so it's way more expensive to pay for streaming. Sat radio is where I first hear most of the new music I care to download. And mainly I just like the variety of Sirius for the 50k km of highway commuting I do in a year.