PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Roma - no thanks

Buster
08-10-2020, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfF5p1iNi2E

Disappointing.

Styling is blah - it looks pretty much like an F-type. Those weird low set front lights...meh. It's just derivative and boring.

The interior - ugh. Look at all of those gloss black haptic buttons. Just no. And then they went to a wrap-around cockpit style instead of Ferrari's normal lateral dash look - which looks way way better.

+2 back seats? fuuuu

speedog
08-10-2020, 07:00 PM

ThePenIsMightier
08-10-2020, 07:11 PM
No more Pininfarina, and it's showing.

But but but you can customize it like a video game character's wardrobe in 44,000 different ways!!¡ Millennials will be lining up to customize the custom customs!
What do you mean millennials don't have any money?!?!
Fuck.

88CRX
08-10-2020, 07:19 PM
Nice Corvette center console.

Buster
08-10-2020, 07:22 PM
No more Pininfarina, and it's showing.

Yup. Look at the F12 vs the 812, or the FF vs the GTC4 or the 488 vs the 458. or or or.

killramos
08-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Gross.

Buster
08-10-2020, 07:55 PM
I dont know why Ferrari has so much trouble getting its front engine V8 entry level cars right. I guess the portofino is okay. But the Cali was a disaster.

npham
08-10-2020, 07:56 PM
The paddle shifters are actual paddles you could use in a kayak or canoe. They are so thicc too.

ercchry
08-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Stylistically cars get worse every year (since the 60s)... just hurry up and buy something

Buster
08-10-2020, 08:07 PM
Stylistically cars get worse every year (since the 60s)... just hurry up and buy something

I'm taking this year off.

rage2
08-10-2020, 08:24 PM
I dont know why Ferrari has so much trouble getting its front engine V8 entry level cars right. I guess the portofino is okay. But the Cali was a disaster.
I’m going to regret admitting to this, but I liked the California.

Buster
08-10-2020, 08:44 PM
I’m going to regret admitting to this, but I liked the California.

Nobody is perfect.

ThePenIsMightier
08-10-2020, 09:21 PM
I'm taking this year off.

Group buy for a discount with Carraddict when his SF90 Stradale rolls in.
Should be any day now...
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412254-Getting-ready-to-order-the-Ferrari-SF90-need-design-feedback

bjstare
08-11-2020, 07:38 AM

Tougher to build something to a budget maybe? You’re right, their entry cars have always been very meh.

I don’t mind the styling on this one, I like the painted grill actually. All the touchscreen/buttons is a horrible idea though.

The_Rural_Juror
08-11-2020, 08:39 AM
Omgz...touchscreens.

Buster
08-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Tougher to build something to a budget maybe? You’re right, their entry cars have always been very meh.

I don’t mind the styling on this one, I like the painted grill actually. All the touchscreen/buttons is a horrible idea though.

I'm not a fan of the painted grill. I think it's a way to ease the design language into grill-less EV front ends. I know the Fchat guys say that the SF90 is simply a way for Ferrari to sell to urban customers (think London), that will live in cities that do not let ICE cars in their downtown/central areas.

As for budget: that may be true, although I think this thing is going to cost $300M CAD. That's a lot of budget to make something that doesn't look that much more dramatic than an AMG GT or an Aston. Maybe the prancing horse actually is worth $100M. But the V8 with the new communist GPF exhaust sounds really tame as well. Ferrari has a bit of a conundrum that they previously didn't have: they may not be able to continue their V12 as-is, their entry level mid-engine car now has competition that it never has had before (new Vette), and they are entering markets that have phenomenal players already (AMG GT, Aston, even Jag).

And to top it off, they are going to replace their awesome V12 shooting break with another cynical SUV.

Mitsu3000gt
08-11-2020, 09:38 AM
I don't mind it, still nicer than 99% of the cars on the road. It's an "entry level" Ferrari, they can't make it too special.

Buster
08-11-2020, 09:43 AM
I don't mind it, still nicer than 99% of the cars on the road. It's an "entry level" Ferrari, they can't make it too special.

ya, I guess they gotta give it the Cayman treatment.

civic_stylez
08-11-2020, 10:14 AM
I spent some time driving the F8 Spider yesterday and its a little underwhelming to see the Roma being the next car coming down the line from the F8. (yes i know theyre totally different cars). I will be present for the Roma reveal so hopefully it is more intense in person.

you&me
08-11-2020, 10:35 AM
I spent some time driving the F8 Spider yesterday and its a little underwhelming to see the Roma being the next car coming down the line from the F8. (yes i know theyre totally different cars). I will be present for the Roma reveal so hopefully it is more intense in person.

Biz partner was at the Roma reveal last week in SF. Funny enough, he said that while everyone compares it to the Astons and Jags, he felt the Vantage looks better in photos, but a little cartoonish in person, whereas the Roma was the opposite and "much more interesting" in person.

civic_stylez
08-11-2020, 10:40 AM
I wasnt overly blown away by the F8 in pictures either but to see it in person, it looked like a totally different car. Im not sure if its a Ferrari or an exotic thing but pictures do not do them justice. The Urus was another vehicle that had a much better "in person" presence. I definitely see Aston lines on the Roma but looking forward to seeing how it looks in person.

civic_stylez
09-10-2020, 10:59 AM
I got to spend some time with the Roma this week and like many exotic cars, they need to be seen in person to be appreciated. If you have expectations for an F8 or 488 style car, this is definitely not it. Its a performance car wrapped in a more casual and usable approach. I wouldnt hesitate to take this car on a road trip. Its a GT style for sure and it really is nice in person. Just my input!

Buster
09-10-2020, 11:23 AM
I'm not saying it's not a good car. I'm saying it's not a good Ferrari.

That interior looks like something GM would spit out for a Corvette (in terms of design at least). I'm definitely not a fan of Ferraris new headlight arrangement, sitting low and horizontal. F8 has the same problem. Also this just looks like an F-type/AMG GT/Vantage type car. All great cars...but disappointing for a ferrari.

beyond_ban
09-10-2020, 12:33 PM
I do agree with Buster that it is not something i would expect to see from Ferrari and i feel that it waters down the brand a little. Ferrari is clearly more focused on sales numbers these days over performance in racing (RIP Scuderia Ferrari S.p.A.) which is complete 180 from Enzo's ethos.

All that aside, I like the exterior design of this car but the interior just doesn't make sense in photos. How does it look when seated at the helm?

Buster
09-10-2020, 12:38 PM
The fake shift gate is one of the dumbest things I've seen in ages. That's the type of shit that Jeep tries to pull off.

Ferrari is a luxury brand first, and a carmaker second. But they are trying to monetize that brand as fast as they can. As one guy in the Fchat forums said about the ferrari SUV - when Gucci started making sneakers it was time to move on.

you&me
09-10-2020, 12:39 PM
I don't care what you guys say... The Roma is the first Ferrari that I can say I'd actually consider.

Buster
09-10-2020, 01:02 PM
I don't care what you guys say... The Roma is the first Ferrari that I can say I'd actually consider.

I think they will sell really well.

civic_stylez
09-10-2020, 01:07 PM
I do agree with Buster that it is not something i would expect to see from Ferrari and i feel that it waters down the brand a little. Ferrari is clearly more focused on sales numbers these days over performance in racing (RIP Scuderia Ferrari S.p.A.) which is complete 180 from Enzo's ethos.

All that aside, I like the exterior design of this car but the interior just doesn't make sense in photos. How does it look when seated at the helm?

Its more tame inside when compared to a car like the F8. You definitely feel the "GT" sense of the car. Personally, I dont see this as a diluting of the brand but more of an expansion of the brand. A lot of the 458/488/F8 styling is extremely motorsport focused and this car is designed for more of a spirited driving experience without the need for a track. I dont get to drive it until October so I cant comment on the actual driving aspect of the car but i think a lot of people always expect F1 style track cars from Ferrari and they still have a lot of crazy stuff coming out (Monza SP2). The deposits on this car have far exceeded the expectations ( I do not work for Ferrari) so I think a lot of people that want a weekend touring car see the value in this.

Dont get me wrong, I still love the F8 interior better!!

The_Rural_Juror
09-11-2020, 05:54 AM
Not for that price. If I wanted a Jag, I would find a coug at the Webber academy parents association meetings.

Lex350
09-11-2020, 07:20 AM
I would find a coug at the Webber academy parents association meetings.

Thanks for the tip. lol

Buster
09-11-2020, 07:24 AM
Its more tame inside when compared to a car like the F8. You definitely feel the "GT" sense of the car. Personally, I dont see this as a diluting of the brand but more of an expansion of the brand. A lot of the 458/488/F8 styling is extremely motorsport focused and this car is designed for more of a spirited driving experience without the need for a track. I dont get to drive it until October so I cant comment on the actual driving aspect of the car but i think a lot of people always expect F1 style track cars from Ferrari and they still have a lot of crazy stuff coming out (Monza SP2). The deposits on this car have far exceeded the expectations ( I do not work for Ferrari) so I think a lot of people that want a weekend touring car see the value in this.

Dont get me wrong, I still love the F8 interior better!!

That interior is one thousand times better than the Roma. One of the best things about Ferraris is that traditional dash-like interior. No clutter from some cheesy ipad screen in the centre console, making the whole thing age poorly. Even the SF90 has all of that gloss black haptic bullshit.

C4S
09-11-2020, 08:56 AM
It is a nice car for sure, and it is a nice Ferrari ..

Just not that Pininfarinaish .....

The_Rural_Juror
09-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tip. lol

Whoa there tiger...you stay out of my pond. Besides, some cuties at your workplace - or it could be the masks.

Lex350
09-11-2020, 10:20 AM
Whoa there tiger...you stay out of my pond. Besides, some cuties at your workplace - or it could be the masks.

After two divorces I need to be on the other end of the financial spectrum ;)

austic
09-17-2020, 01:53 PM
looks like an expensive version of the vette interior wise.

I cant see the justification for that over the zo6 version of the C8 once it comes out. And i am not an american car fan in the slightest. I think Mclaren does it much better in their entry model appealing to the style cues of the company

bjstare
09-17-2020, 02:33 PM
looks like an expensive version of the vette interior wise.

I cant see the justification for that over the zo6 version of the C8 once it comes out. And i am not an american car fan in the slightest. I think Mclaren does it much better in their entry model appealing to the style cues of the company

Don’t need a justification really. I bet 99/100 Ferrari customers aren’t cross shopping with a corvette, regardless of the value prop the corvette brings.

Buster
09-17-2020, 02:50 PM
Don’t need a justification really. I bet 99/100 Ferrari customers aren’t cross shopping with a corvette, regardless of the value prop the corvette brings.

I agree. Although Ferrari has been explicit in their goal for the Roma: they want to bring non-Ferrari customers in. This is designed to be a conquest model, through and through. The Roma is going to get cross shopper to other cheaper alternatives like the GT, the Aston, the Jag, etc. Ferrari is actively damaging its brand by trying to increase volume.

Buster
09-18-2020, 10:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7Lnj8zhM8