PDA

View Full Version : Central Vac

jaylo
08-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Tired of using corded floor vacs, or central vac. Looking forward to this for a while, lol.

Disoblige, this is a total game-changer. Got mine when the V6 animal came out years ago and central vac has not been used since then.

I use it in the house, and bring it in road trips for cleaning the car and the guest cabin.

88CRX
08-24-2020, 09:13 PM
Just installed a central vac because those Dyson sticks don’t work as your only vacuum for the entire house. Great for quick cleanup on hard surfaces but not great on carpet.

killramos
08-24-2020, 09:16 PM
People still do central vac?

88CRX
08-24-2020, 09:23 PM
Yea dude. It sucks.

But not nearly as good at marketing as dyson.

roopi
08-24-2020, 09:42 PM

Why wouldn't they? Seems convenient to me.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-24-2020, 09:45 PM

Our central is the only one we use, and it works very well. We got rid of our canister/upright vacs.

benyl
08-25-2020, 07:24 AM
I hate dragging around and storing the hose.

Yup. We had a rough in for one, but just kept using the canister. The only way I would do a central vac again would be do to https://www.hideahose.com/

cyra1ax
08-25-2020, 07:51 AM
The only way I would do a central vac again would be do to https://www.hideahose.com/

I actually lived in a house where the original owner had the hose and accessories, but none of the wall plates would actually store the hose???:dunno:

killramos
08-25-2020, 07:57 AM
I guess I just pictured central vac as some legacy thing people were into in like the 80’s lol.

Vacuums are disposable, central vac seems like putting way to many eggs in one basket to me when something goes wrong.

I have been finding tubes in my walls while doing some Reno’s here, and we just yanked the whole system out of the lake house.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. We had a rough in for one, but just kept using the canister. The only way I would do a central vac again would be do to https://www.hideahose.com/

Even the vacuum they show on their website looks like it was made in the 90’s.

88CRX
08-25-2020, 08:36 AM
I guess I just pictured central vac as some legacy thing people were into in like the 80’s lol.

Vacuums are disposable, central vac seems like putting way to many eggs in one basket to me when something goes wrong.

I have been finding tubes in my walls while doing some Reno’s here, and we just yanked the whole system out of the lake house.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea like I said the marketing of all central vacuum companies is brutal haha. They dont have fancy websites or tv commercials or IG model influences like Dyson thats for sure. Honestly I would have preferred a pull along Meile but the wife won that discussion. Regardless a Miele or a quality central vac >> Dyson stick.

And central vac systems aren't disposable, that's the whole point of the motors and systems, they last the lifetime of the house.

firebane
08-25-2020, 08:41 AM
Yea like I said the marketing of all central vacuum companies is brutal haha. They dont have fancy websites or tv commercials or IG model influences like Dyson thats for sure. Honestly I would have preferred a pull along Meile but the wife won that discussion. Regardless a Miele or a quality central vac >> Dyson stick.

And central vac systems aren't disposable, that's the whole point of the motors and systems, they last the lifetime of the house.

I like our central vac compared to the canister. With a dog and carpet I can fill the canister so fast I'm emptying it out far too often and making a gross mess.

Buster
08-25-2020, 09:10 AM
I much prefer central vac.

sabad66
08-25-2020, 10:44 AM
We only use our central vac probably monthly when we do a deeper clean. Most of the other time we pull out the trusty Miele with retractable cord. It's just way easier to lug around compared to a massive hose that we have to hang up after.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Central vacs are great in theory but dragging around that giant hose and storing it somewhere are both not worth it IMHO. Now that cordless stick vacuums have the same power as the best plug-in vacuums, enough run time for an entire house, and are available with large dust bins, I will never go back to central.

brucebanner
08-25-2020, 10:50 AM
I also like our central vac. I haven't used any of the new vacuums to know any better either though.

roopi
08-25-2020, 10:59 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I think the majority of new builds the rough in for central vacuum is standard so there really is no additional investment into a central vacuum system. You can buy and install for $500 which is similar to a dyson.

speedog
08-25-2020, 11:17 AM
I think the majority of new builds the rough in for central vacuum is standard so there really is no additional investment into a central vacuum system. You can buy and install for $500 which is similar to a dyson.

Nope, central vacuums are not roughed in on the majority of new builds and in fact, I have seen very few new builds in the past 5 years that either had it roughed in or installed. And I've probably been in well over 500 new builds in the past 5 years - built in vacuums are not all that common at all on new builds.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Nope, central vacuums are not roughed in on the majority of new builds and in fact, I have seen very few new builds in the past 5 years that either had it roughed in or installed. And I've probably been in well over 500 new builds in the past 5 years - built in vacuums are not all that common at all on new builds.

+1, it wasn't roughed in on our new build either when virtually every other feature was roughed in (or included). With how far stick/canister vacuums have come I don't think they are very popular anymore. The only place I might put one is my garage for detailing.

killramos
08-25-2020, 11:23 AM
+1, it wasn't roughed in on our new build either when virtually every other feature was roughed in (or included). With how far stick/canister vacuums have come I don't think they are very popular anymore. The only place I might put one is my garage for detailing.

In which case you don’t really need tubes in the wall, it’s just a. Wall mounted vacuum at that point.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2020, 11:26 AM
In which case you don’t really need tubes in the wall, it’s just a. Wall mounted vacuum at that point.

Yup that's how the garage ones are typically done.

speedog
08-25-2020, 11:34 AM

Heh, I have one our garage but not in the house - Miele for the house. It's really nice in the garage, hose is long enough to pull out into the alley.

suntan
08-25-2020, 11:42 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Turns out most of the parts are standardized and/or replaceable, so if the vacuum housing dies, just get a new one. If the attachments are worn, just get new ones and replace the outlet end if necessary. The pipe diameters are all standard so that's never an issue. It's like the opposite of plumbing.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2020, 11:47 AM
Heh, I have one our garage but not in the house - Miele for the house. It's really nice in the garage, hose is long enough to pull out into the alley.

Did you do a full sized one that would normally be fore a home, or something from a tool brand like Rigid?

speedog
08-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Did you do a full sized one that would normally be fore a home, or something from a tool brand like Rigid?

Full sized normal house Hoover vacuflow in the garage, also have 6HP 14ga Ridgid shop vac for messier shit.

Chandler_Racing
08-25-2020, 12:06 PM
We have a central vacuum for the whole house, canister Dyson for messy stuff and Dyson handheld for small items... right tool for the right job.

I guess we have a shop vac too which only really gets used to clean the garage floor and occasionally vehicles.

88CRX
08-25-2020, 12:09 PM

What communities and builders do you work with? (EDIT: I'm going to guess Cardel and Jayman charge an extra for some pvc pipe in the walls lol)

Virtually every suburban builder (or at least all the ones I've dealt with) include the rough in for all new builds. Regardless the rough-in costs are negligible (30'-100' of pvc pipe, couple wall outlet rough-ins and 100' of speaker wire).

nismodrifter
08-25-2020, 12:13 PM
We have hide a hose. This is the only way to do it IMO.

Buster
08-25-2020, 02:14 PM
We have hide a hose. This is the only way to do it IMO.

I might have to retrofit these.

Then again, I'm a princess and haven't vacuumed a thing in years.

Actually, we did get a roomba for the main floor, and the new ones are pretty amazing.

The_Rural_Juror
08-25-2020, 02:17 PM
The Xiaomi Roborock has lazzers. I think.

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2020, 02:31 PM
The Xiaomi Roborock has lazzers. I think.

The best robot vacuums all have Lidar to map the room and allow you to set virtual walls and no-go zones (or choose when they get cleaned). They have come a long way in that regard. Unfortunately emptying, cleaning, and maintaining them is still more work than just quickly vacuuming the room yourself in many cases, but there are a few of them that automatically empty themselves into a larger bin as well which helps.

Buster
08-25-2020, 02:54 PM
The best robot vacuums all have Lidar to map the room and allow you to set virtual walls and no-go zones (or choose when they get cleaned). They have come a long way in that regard. Unfortunately emptying, cleaning, and maintaining them is still more work than just quickly vacuuming the room yourself in many cases, but there are a few of them that automatically empty themselves into a larger bin as well which helps.

Ya, I got the roomba with the base that charges and empties. It's a game changer along with the mapping shit.

killramos
08-25-2020, 03:29 PM
+1 on the roomba for day to day tidyness

Still have a couple Dysons for deep cleans and a few shop vacs as well.

I’m starting to realize I own way too many vacuums lol.

suntan
08-25-2020, 04:30 PM
I don't understand using things like Roombas, I have children that do the grunt work of vacuuming, dishes, garbage and watering plants.

killramos
08-25-2020, 04:46 PM
Roomba is far cheaper than spawn

suntan
08-25-2020, 04:48 PM
I don't have spawn.

Please ignore the windowless room in the basement.

killramos
08-25-2020, 04:50 PM
Ahh, is that where RurrJurr lives?

Either way. Carry on.

speedog
08-25-2020, 05:01 PM
What communities and builders do you work with? (EDIT: I'm going to guess Cardel and Jayman charge an extra for some pvc pipe in the walls lol)

Virtually every suburban builder (or at least all the ones I've dealt with) include the rough in for all new builds. Regardless the rough-in costs are negligible (30'-100' of pvc pipe, couple wall outlet rough-ins and 100' of speaker wire).

Communities, Seton, Saddleridge, Walden, Legacy, Cityscape, Sage Hill, Skyview Ranch, Cornerstone, Redstone, Applewood, Mahogany, Aspen, Cranston, Belmont, Killarney, Marda Loop, Mount Royal, Erlton, Nolan Hill, Mount Pleasant, Tuxexo, Carrington, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Chestermere, High River, Carstairs and more

Builders, Trico, Slokker, Stepper, Avalon, DS Homes, Douglas Homes, Genesis, Cidex, many others both large and small.

suntan
08-25-2020, 05:10 PM
Communities, Seton, Saddleridge, Walden, Legacy, Cityscape, Sage Hill, Skyview Ranch, Cornerstone, Redstone, Applewood, Mahogany, Aspen, Cranston, Belmont, Killarney, Marda Loop, Mount Royal, Erlton, Nolan Hill, Mount Pleasant, Tuxexo, Carrington, Airdrie, Okotoks, Cochrane, Chestermere, High River, Carstairs and more

Builders, Trico, Slokker, Stepper, Avalon, DS Homes, Douglas Homes, Genesis, Cidex, many others both large and small.

Whoa, now you have my attention sir.

rage2
08-25-2020, 05:30 PM
Roomba for daily cleanup. Dyson for quick messes. Central Vacuum for whole house clean.

Roomba is great at making dirt invisible. Fucking nasty under couches but makes shit that you can see look spotless haha.

Like Chandler_Racing says, right tool for the right job.

speedog
08-25-2020, 06:43 PM
Roomba for daily cleanup. Dyson for quick messes. Central Vacuum for whole house clean.

Roomba is great at making dirt invisible. Fucking nasty under couches but makes shit that you can see look spotless haha.

Like Chandler_Racing says, right tool for the right job.

You don't have a maid or is that just an Aspen thing?

88CRX
08-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Weird. We’ve built 3 times (Sabal, Brookfield and Cedarglen) and central vac roughed in every time lol. Batting 1000 I guess.

rage2
08-25-2020, 09:37 PM
You don't have a maid or is that just an Aspen thing?
Not since covid.

Rocket1k78
08-29-2020, 01:10 PM
We stopped using our cleaners too since covid and its a major FWP haha At our old place we just used the Dyson handheld for little messes and let the cleaners do their thing but now that were cleaning ourselves the dyson doesnt cut it. Our new house came with a very nice CV system so ive been using that and the thing is amazing but ill admit it does suck to go and get the hose from the laundry room lol
My wife ended up buying one of those robot vacs and i gotta admit the thing works really good, i always thought it would be pointless because we had so much furniture on the main floor but this thing works its way around all the legs of the dining table no problem.