PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Deodorizer?

vengie
08-25-2020, 08:40 PM
Wife and I just moved into our new house and we are turning the second garage into a full gym/ workshop.
Only problem is the previous owner used to smoke like a chimney in there.

Any ideas to remove the smell of smoke from there??

ThePenIsMightier
08-26-2020, 08:34 AM
Rent an ozonator. Might buy one from a dope growing shop if you can't rent one.
They can kill you if they malfunction, so treat them seriously.

Mitsu3000gt
08-26-2020, 08:39 AM
You need an ozone machine. You can buy them on amazon for surprisingly cheap as well. It won't take out the smell 100% though, cigarette smoke is pretty much the worst thing you can introduce to a room.

Also if it's painted you will have to re-paint if you want the smell mostly gone.

SJW
08-26-2020, 08:43 AM
I have an ozone generator if you want to borrow. I just laced my rental home which smelled like smoke. Smells smoke free now.

EDIT: I also repainted ceiling and replaced all floors. The ozone cuts down big time on smells.

bjstare
08-26-2020, 08:47 AM
I was going to suggest painting as well, this goes a long way.

vengie
08-26-2020, 09:37 AM
I have an ozone generator if you want to borrow. I just laced my rental home which smelled like smoke. Smells smoke free now.

EDIT: I also repainted ceiling and replaced all floors. The ozone cuts down big time on smells.

I would gladly take you up on this.
I've called just about every rental shop and the best I can find is an air scrubber.

I'll pm you for your beer preference.

zipdoa
08-26-2020, 10:16 AM
I spilled gear oil on the cargo liner of a 4runner. The entire cab reeked.

I rented an ozone generator and ran it for 2 hrs with the HVAC on full blast.

Absolutely no odor remaining, even the cargo liner was saved. IMO, it's the best option for neutralizing (not masking) odors.

Careful - O3 is extremely bad for you so you'll want to have an action plan to ventilate the area before you allow plants, people or pets back in.

In a bigger area you'll need to run it for longer periods of time - consider getting a fan in there to help circulate the O3.

vengie
08-29-2020, 01:44 PM
Big thanks to SJW for lending me his Ozone Generator.
Ran it for a total of about 3 hours and the smell is completely gone.

The rest of my gym gear should arrive early this week and the build will commence

ThePenIsMightier
08-29-2020, 07:06 PM
Big thanks to SJW for lending me his Ozone Generator.
Ran it for a total of about 3 hours and the smell is completely gone.

The rest of my gym gear should arrive early this week and the build will commence

Indeed.

SJW
08-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Awesome.