PDA

View Full Version : Garage heaters...lennox vs reznor

G-ZUS
09-04-2020, 11:34 AM
hi beyond im going to be installing a garage heater shortly and have the option of reznor and lennox. Has anyone had any experience with either? Which is the better brand?

BerserkerCatSplat
09-04-2020, 11:40 AM
My Reznor had been rock-solid, no complaints. No experience with Lennox in the garage heater department.

Ca_Silvia13
09-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Based on brands alone those 2 are pretty good. Reznor might have the slight advantage.

Specifically speaking for a garage heater, get the quietest one.

spike98
09-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Based on brands alone those 2 are pretty good. Reznor might have the slight advantage.

Specifically speaking for a garage heater, get the quietest one.

Save yourself 50% and get a princess auto version. I ran one for 6 years and it worked perfectly and was just as quite as my buddies Reznor. I paid $600 for an 80k BTU unit.

shakalaka
09-04-2020, 11:51 PM
Reznor at mine and all other close family members' homes. All have been wonderful.

shadowz
09-10-2020, 03:44 PM
Has anyone recently gotten any quotes on Reznor or Lennox, really contemplating getting one this year before winter hits

J-D
09-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Has anyone recently gotten any quotes on Reznor or Lennox, really contemplating getting one this year before winter hits

I found a couple places that will do cash and carry, I was looking at the separated combustion models though which are a little more expensive. Nothing too crazy after my electric bill from last winter using a shop heater, lol.

Ballpark was around $1000-1600 for 45k BTU, unit only.

G-ZUS
09-10-2020, 08:14 PM

Used a guy off kijiji, got a 45k btu reznor installed with underground gas line for 2500. I had to dig the trench

legendboy
09-11-2020, 12:15 PM
I've had a Modine Hot Dawg since 08 and it has been solid. Just had to replace the main board in it after an OEM only relay died on it. $200 for the board delivered.
I only paid $300/ea for qty. 3 thru a distributor in SK. I'd have to make a phone call but I can probably still get OEM pricing.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2020, 09:58 AM
I'm curious as well. I wouldn't mind installing my self, but I'd still need someone to pull gas to the garage.

shadowz
09-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Used a guy off kijiji, got a 45k btu reznor installed with underground gas line for 2500. I had to dig the trench

Sounds like a great deal. I already have a gas line, would just need them to droll a hole in the garage wall for the exhaust. Would you mind PMing me with the contact?

mr2mike
09-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Thought all the ballers go radiant heat if they can't do infloor heat?

blownz
09-15-2020, 04:29 PM
I have a 45K lennox that is almost 15 years old. It has been great except for the control panel needing replacement about 4 years ago at a cost of ~$400. Repair guy mentioned Reznor is cheaper for replacement parts.

I do know several people with either brand and both seem to be quite reliable. Don't think you can go wrong. The place that installed mine though now recommends Reznor. So could be that it is better unit or just better markup. :dunno:

legendboy
09-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a great deal. I already have a gas line, would just need them to droll a hole in the garage wall for the exhaust. Would you mind PMing me with the contact?

Damn I paid $900 including permit for my Modine 45k install and I had to dig my trench which was about 40'. He even tee'd for my bbq. I wish I still had his contact info!

BerserkerCatSplat
09-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Thought all the ballers go radiant heat if they can't do infloor heat?

Had both, if you keep your garage at a higher temp all day the radiant can be a better choice. If you maintain a lower temp but warm it up when you're working in the garage, I prefer forced air.

Damn I paid $900 including permit for my Modine 45k install and I had to dig my trench which was about 40'. He even tee'd for my bbq. I wish I still had his contact info!

Damn, that's a steal. I dug my own 50' trench and installed the heater/exhaust myself, and still paid $1750 for the gas line (which was the lowest of three outfits I contacted) and they did a shit job.

arcticcat522
03-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Bump. Looking for a heater to be installed late summer. Thinking 45k Reznor separate combustion. Any contacts?

phreezee
04-01-2021, 11:26 AM
^Me too, in for a group buy. Please let me know who you go with.

arcticcat522
04-01-2021, 12:24 PM
^Me too, in for a group buy. Please let me know who you go with.

Will do. You do the same. I don't need one until the end of summer, as the garage isn't expected to be built until the end of July.

J-D
04-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Bump. Looking for a heater to be installed late summer. Thinking 45k Reznor separate combustion. Any contacts?

I had someone put mine in (UDAS 45) earlier this year that did a pretty solid job (I hung it, he vented it and ran the the gas line and permit). The separated combustion definitely makes it way more of a pain in the ass.

arcticcat522
04-01-2021, 01:35 PM
I had someone put mine in (UDAS 45) earlier this year that did a pretty solid job (I hung it, he vented it and ran the the gas line and permit). The separated combustion definitely makes it way more of a pain in the ass.

Share details? You purchased the unit and hung it, they did the rest?

navdeep
04-01-2021, 02:24 PM
i have a Lennox, its been great kept my garage at 18 degrees all winters , just make sure who ever installs it use's rails and its not mounted right to your ceiling as you will feel the Vibrations in the floor above your garage

Mitsu3000gt
04-01-2021, 02:29 PM
Are you guys also installing dehumidifiers? I am wondering if that is necessary in Calgary.

cyra1ax
04-01-2021, 02:30 PM
I'd be in for one too, would just need the unit, already have a fitter.

phreezee
04-01-2021, 05:02 PM
Seems like the going rate is $2500 installed for a Reznor, from what I can see from Kijiji and the one recommendation I got from a neighbor. Unit sells for about $1000, then the rest is install kit, permit and labour.
How much can you actually save and what did you guys pay in the past?

G-ZUS
04-01-2021, 06:21 PM
Seems like the going rate is $2500 installed for a Reznor, from what I can see from Kijiji and the one recommendation I got from a neighbor. Unit sells for about $1000, then the rest is install kit, permit and labour.
How much can you actually save and did you guys pay in the past?

I paid 2500, that was including running 32 feet of underground pipe and permit etc

g-m
04-06-2021, 10:52 AM
I've got a roberts gordon caribe 35k btu and it keeps an 800sq ft garage at 20C all winter. Would recommend radiant over forced air

phreezee
04-06-2021, 02:12 PM
I've got a roberts gordon caribe 35k btu and it keeps an 800sq ft garage at 20C all winter. Would recommend radiant over forced air

Who did the install and how much? These guys? http://www.loweagencies.ca/home.html

Any opinions on this ad? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humidifier-dehumidifier/calgary/garage-heater-shop-heater-calcana-radiant-infrared-tube-heater/1555509228 EDIT: Read some old threads and Rage2 and Benyl had problems after 7 years with Calcana. Rage2 replaced the controller as a fix.

phreezee
04-07-2021, 10:31 AM
After trying crypto mining for the first time, it might be more cost effective to heat my garage with a mining rig.:dunno::rofl:

ExtraSlow
04-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Put some chickens in there.

g-m
04-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Who did the install and how much? These guys? http://www.loweagencies.ca/home.html

Any opinions on this ad? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humidifier-dehumidifier/calgary/garage-heater-shop-heater-calcana-radiant-infrared-tube-heater/1555509228 EDIT: Read some old threads and Rage2 and Benyl had problems after 7 years with Calcana. Rage2 replaced the controller as a fix.

Myself, my father in law, and a plumber friend ran the gas and pulled the permit. They are actually super easy to install just follow the directions.

cyra1ax
06-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Bump. Anyone have a contact on where to buy a Reznor UDAP or a Modine Hot Dawg? Just need the unit only.

Thaco
06-22-2021, 02:47 PM
I was looking at these, got a quote for a lennox for $2900 installed with 20ft of pipe, pretty straight shot from my furnace room, i decided to spend $100 on an electric 240v, 5000w, reviews are decent for a 2 car garage... it'd take years if not decades for the efficiency of a gas unit to pay for it's self, i just need to keep the garage from freezing, maybe get it toasty to do work once a week.

Darell_n
06-22-2021, 05:32 PM
I was looking at these, got a quote for a lennox for $2900 installed with 20ft of pipe, pretty straight shot from my furnace room, i decided to spend $100 on an electric 240v, 5000w, reviews are decent for a 2 car garage... it'd take years if not decades for the efficiency of a gas unit to pay for it's self, i just need to keep the garage from freezing, maybe get it toasty to do work once a week.

Using my electric bill from last month, a 5000w heater would cost me almost exactly $1/hr. With my current 68,000 btu unit heater run time in the winter months, the cost of the electric heater usage would match the gas heater install in around 2 years. Just my numbers without natural gas consumption, mind you. I like my 24 year old gas heater.

elite
08-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Bump.

Anyone got any recommendations on who to use to get a gas heater installed?

Kloubek
08-16-2021, 12:47 PM

sabad66
10-10-2021, 09:45 AM
Bump, anyone getting a new garage heater? I got a quote from my buddy to do one. About 2150 for a 45k btu forced air including permits and gst, but I have to arrange electrical so that will be another 350 or so I think. So about 2500 total which feels reasonable to me.

Is that A decent price? Are people finding any other good deals?

G-ZUS
10-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Bump, anyone getting a new garage heater? I got a quote from my buddy to do one. About 2150 for a 45k btu forced air including permits and gst, but I have to arrange electrical so that will be another 350 or so I think. So about 2500 total which feels reasonable to me.

Is that A decent price? Are people finding any other good deals?

I paid 2500 last year, that was including running 32 ft of underground gas line and electrical. Electrical part is super easy

sabad66
10-10-2021, 01:48 PM
I paid 2500 last year, that was including running 32 ft of underground gas line and electrical. Electrical part is super easy

How many btu did you get? 30 or 45? Also did you get permits for that price?

Electrical *should* be easy, but in my case my garage is on the opposite corner from the electrical panel with a finished basement, and also my panel is full so they need to switch a couple breakers to the slim ones to make room. Luckily I was able to hire the same guy who ran my a/c cables thru the same route and the access panels are still available so he should be able to run it again. Also lucky that my gas meter is the same side as my garage so should be a relatively easy run, probably 15 feet or less total.

What temp do you keep your garage when you’re not in there? And did you notice a lot more gas usage? Did you get a separate CO sensor for your garage too?

G-ZUS
10-10-2021, 05:15 PM
How many btu did you get? 30 or 45? Also did you get permits for that price?

Electrical *should* be easy, but in my case my garage is on the opposite corner from the electrical panel with a finished basement, and also my panel is full so they need to switch a couple breakers to the slim ones to make room. Luckily I was able to hire the same guy who ran my a/c cables thru the same route and the access panels are still available so he should be able to run it again. Also lucky that my gas meter is the same side as my garage so should be a relatively easy run, probably 15 feet or less total.

What temp do you keep your garage when you’re not in there? And did you notice a lot more gas usage? Did you get a separate CO sensor for your garage too?

Ill have to double check on the btu. But i did get permits with that price. I installed it right beside my electrical panel in the garage, plugged it into the outlet.

I dont have a co2 detector in there. I keep it at 10 degrees all winter as that's the lowest my thermostat goes. Haven't noticed too much more gas usage. Will have to check my bills

*edit* extra $30/month or so during the winter. Leaving the garage at 10 degrees all the time and up to 20ish if im working in there

cyra1ax
10-12-2021, 08:43 AM
I have a 45k in my 24x24 and it works great. I also keep mine at 10°C because I've got some detailing supplies in there.
Thought about putting a CO detector in there, but read that there's no point since you've always got fresh air infiltrating and the car would set off the alarm anyways.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2021, 09:09 AM
you guys mean A CO detector, right? not CO2?

cyra1ax
10-12-2021, 09:15 AM
you guys mean A CO detector, right? not CO2?

Good catch.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2021, 09:16 AM
Thanks, I can't contribute much else to this thread.

blubs
10-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Bit late to this party, but if anyone needs a deal on a Reznor throw me a PM. My company buys lots from Sinclair Supplies to the point we get pretty good pricing on them. Picked up a Reznor 60,000 the other week for 760+tax. Z Vent is pretty good pricing too, Reznor Adapter, Termination Kit, Wall Adapter, 45, and 3 sections of pipe (36", 24" and a 12") was $280ish. I think the 45kbtu was 720?

Pete the Plumber agreed to install it for 575 with all my suppled gear. So im in like $1600 bucks installed.

Nice to get good quality shit for a bit of a deal when you can. You might even be able to call them and try to ask for the "Journeyman Rate" and they might bite.

prae
10-12-2021, 02:31 PM
Bit late to this party, but if anyone needs a deal on a Reznor throw me a PM. My company buys lots from Sinclair Supplies to the point we get pretty good pricing on them. Picked up a Reznor 60,000 the other week for 760+tax. Z Vent is pretty good pricing too, Reznor Adapter, Termination Kit, Wall Adapter, 45, and 3 sections of pipe (36", 24" and a 12") was $280ish. I think the 45kbtu was 720?

Pete the Plumber agreed to install it for 575 with all my suppled gear. So im in like $1600 bucks installed.

Nice to get good quality shit for a bit of a deal when you can. You might even be able to call them and try to ask for the "Journeyman Rate" and they might bite.

Did you go for the UDAP or the UDAS Reznor model? I do some woodworking but nothing too wild and it doesnt seem like the extra cost and hassle of plumbing a separate combustion air intake would be worth it.

650 sqft triple; I feel like 60k btu would be too much, calculators seems to suggest that 45k btu would be plenty. Any advantage to sizing up?

blubs
10-12-2021, 05:55 PM
I went with the UDAP, Pete said that's what they sell 95% of the time. Not many go for the UDAS. That being said if you are spraying lots of paint or a ton of sawdust it might be worth having the seperate combustion.

The sizings depend on how you use it, I leave my garage at 5 deg, then turn it up when I am working in there, so its nice to have a bit of a quicker recovery. Mine is also pretty poorly insulated (2x4 walls, detached R7 insulation etc) 28x24'.

If it was me id go a 60k, but if you are attached or leaving it at a more constant temp you could probably get away with the 45 for sure. Just remember they derate them quite a bit with our altitude and only 2.8"WC. I think 60 is like 49k after derates... a 45kbtu is like 37k after derates.

In my parents oversized triple we put an 80k.... Just depending on what you want I guess. With a newer thermostat you'd struggle to get them to short cycle rapidly, unless you had it in a terrible position.

Thaco
10-12-2021, 07:03 PM

that's a damn good price, i decided to go with a smallish electric because iw asnt gonna pay damn near 3k for one, i have a insulated attached in a newer'ish house, 2 bedrooms above the garage so i am sure it's insulated half decent. I am sure the electric will keep my paint cans and batteries from freezing, that's all i am worried about.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2021, 07:05 PM
Don't most insulated attached garages stay above freezing anyway? Or is that only ones with the bonus room above?

Tik-Tok
10-12-2021, 07:49 PM
And here I thought you guys were pro O&G. Got to support the sector with mass inefficiency.

Thaco
10-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Don't most insulated attached garages stay above freezing anyway? Or is that only ones with the bonus room above?

I'm banking on that, the electric i got only goes down to like 45f so it's still 10 above so if it never has to trigger, i'm cool with that.

sabad66
10-12-2021, 09:21 PM
My attached definitely gets below freezing. Two bedrooms above my garage with upstairs usually at 23. When it’s -20 outside my garage is about -8ish. When it’s -30 I’d estimate -12 or so.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-12-2021, 10:51 PM
And here I thought you guys were pro O&G. Got to support the sector with mass inefficiency.

With elevation derating it's probably even worse than that. A 150k turns into a 115K up here with altitude + thermal losses.

chongkee_
10-13-2021, 08:37 AM

One of reasons why I haven't installed one yet even though it's roughed in.
Attached, south-facing, and bonus room above, haven't seen it go below 5°C for 7 years I've lived in it.

Chester
10-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Do the quotes posted above include digging a trench to the garage? I really don't want to dig that fuckin trench lol.

prae
10-13-2021, 10:53 AM
Do the quotes posted above include digging a trench to the garage? I really don't want to dig that fuckin trench lol.

I'd expect if you hire out every aspect you'd be closer to 3-4k

G-ZUS
10-13-2021, 10:55 AM

I dug my own trench, well gave my retired father and father in law something to do :angel:

ThePenIsMightier
10-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Rental ditch witch makes a nice, clean, tight slit that you can throw your pipe right into.

*runs to bathroom and locks door

Rocket1k78
10-15-2021, 10:44 AM
My attached definitely gets below freezing. Two bedrooms above my garage with upstairs usually at 23. When it’s -20 outside my garage is about -8ish. When it’s -30 I’d estimate -12 or so.
My new place is insulated and compared to my old (non insulated attached)its definitely not as cold but she's definitely well below freezing.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Rental ditch witch makes a nice, clean, tight slit that you can throw your pipe right into.

*runs to bathroom and locks door

Which is the way to go unless CBYD finds the other utilities and makes you hand-dig a bunch of it. *grumble grumble*

g-m
10-22-2021, 11:17 AM
I'm all for bigger is better. But a 20+ year old 45kbtu radiant heater can keep my insulated attached garage 20C in the winter. 130kbtu seems like crazy overkill

BerserkerCatSplat
10-22-2021, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'd be worried about short-cycling a 130K unless the garage is huge. Mine is 825sqft detached and I heat it with a 30K Reznor. It runs pretty often, but that's better than short-cycling the heck out of a bigger unit IMO.

Tik-Tok
10-22-2021, 11:39 AM
It was $50 on Kijiji a decade ago, no complaints lol. (Also, yes my garage is bigger than yours)

BerserkerCatSplat
10-22-2021, 12:05 PM
I hear ya, I'd have done a 45K if I didn't get the 30K for free. 130K is a whopper of a unit and fifty bones is a steal.

J-D
10-22-2021, 03:46 PM
I went with the UDAP, Pete said that's what they sell 95% of the time. Not many go for the UDAS. That being said if you are spraying lots of paint or a ton of sawdust it might be worth having the seperate combustion.

The sizings depend on how you use it, I leave my garage at 5 deg, then turn it up when I am working in there, so its nice to have a bit of a quicker recovery. Mine is also pretty poorly insulated (2x4 walls, detached R7 insulation etc) 28x24'.

If it was me id go a 60k, but if you are attached or leaving it at a more constant temp you could probably get away with the 45 for sure. Just remember they derate them quite a bit with our altitude and only 2.8"WC. I think 60 is like 49k after derates... a 45kbtu is like 37k after derates.

In my parents oversized triple we put an 80k.... Just depending on what you want I guess. With a newer thermostat you'd struggle to get them to short cycle rapidly, unless you had it in a terrible position.

I went UDAS but it was way more annoying to vent. Would probably just do UDAP if I did it again, but I run the hell out of it and the extra efficiency probably doesn't hurt.

Darell_n
10-22-2021, 05:56 PM
A single vent heater will help keep the humidity in check inside the garage. All the air sent out the flue is replaced by fresh, dry air sucked in through the doors and wall openings.

jmt111
01-17-2022, 03:07 PM
Hi, I am currently getting quotes for a garage heater and am very interested in the Reznor 60k BTU Unit. Would you mind sending me a PM for your contact at Sinclair Supplies. I live in Saskatoon but they seem to have a branch here. Thanks