PDA

View Full Version : Maserati MC20

Pages : [1] 2

Buster
09-08-2020, 06:48 PM
This looks really interesting.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-2021-maserati-mc20-before-youre-supposed-to-s-1844990074

I don't like the V6 nor the hybrid, but otherwise this looks great. Styling is really good, size should be bang on. If they can get the price right (911 Turbo S money?), then they might have a winner.

And this coming from a guy that thinks Maseratis are a pile of hot garbage.

vengie
09-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Little Porsche, little Spyker, little lambo.

Overall very good looking

A790
09-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Whenever I see a Maserati, I always think "huh, a dumb rich person".

max_boost
09-08-2020, 07:05 PM
That's a sexy car for sure

spikerS
09-08-2020, 07:12 PM

+1. I have never found a Maserati to be exciting. I don't even like the emblem. The whole thing looks boring and mundane. Might be a different experience to drive, but I wouldn't know as I haven't driven one.

ThePenIsMightier
09-08-2020, 07:16 PM
I really like it, also. I've got nothing against Maserati. I've noticed a somewhat disproportionately high number of physicians choose them.

Are you ready to start hating it for a reason you may not have considered? No?
Then don't look at this:

LoL!

vengie
09-08-2020, 07:16 PM
+1. I have never found a Maserati to be exciting. I don't even like the emblem. The whole thing looks boring and mundane. Might be a different experience to drive, but I wouldn't know as I haven't driven one.

Listening to and see that MC12 (before the ZR Treatment) rip down 17th ave was very exciting.
Incredible car.

But in general I agree with everyone here that Maserati hasn’t had a decent car since

Buster
09-08-2020, 07:40 PM

I dunno.

It's classic budget baller.

M.alex
09-08-2020, 08:25 PM
looks ghey compared to MC12

riander5
09-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Looks good to me!

Just because there's a class of luxury between a 3 series and an Ferrari doesnt make it any less of a car imo

beyond_ban
09-08-2020, 10:03 PM
Maserati has lost its way recently with the Ghibli and the Levante. Build quality has gone down the toilet and panel gaps have gaped wide open. That being said, the MC12 was a masterpiece and the Granturismo MC Stradale sounds about as good as a V8 can. They have the potential to make good cars and i hope this MC20 is a representation of that, but i too am saddened at the lack of a V8.

shakalaka
09-08-2020, 10:32 PM
Aaannnd just with those doors...it is a possibility as my future car. lol.

colsankey
09-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Man, that's a great looking car.

ExtraSlow
09-09-2020, 06:39 AM
There is one dude in my neighborhood with a Maserati, and aside from the badge, it's so underwhelming I haven't even bothered to figure out what model. Just about any other Euro-sport-Luxury brand would rank higher to me.

Xtrema
09-09-2020, 08:30 AM
Not sure what the allure of the brand now that they are not even allowed any hand me down tech from Ferrari.

So one have to wonder what kind of 3L V6 it'll have. Definitely not the one from Quadrofoglio since that's a 2.9L mill.

JRSC00LUDE
09-09-2020, 08:55 AM
I've got nothing against Maserati. I've noticed a somewhat disproportionately high number of physicians choose them.

This was previously covered by A790:

Pretty hot looking car though.

Ca_Silvia13
09-09-2020, 09:46 AM
But in general I agree with everyone here that Maserati hasn’t had a decent car since

I would fuck with a Quattroporte GTS. I think they look great and sounds amazing

C4S
09-09-2020, 02:05 PM
Wow … It is stunning, 600+ HP on a V6 turbo .. wor….

So, it is a V6 Turbo Hybrid … or a V6 and a electric version?

bjstare
09-09-2020, 03:05 PM
I mean this thing looks cool, will probably be an entertaining car.

It’s out to lunch to draw any comparison between this and the MC12... that was a hyper car of its era, this (I don’t think?) is meant to be in the same arena at all. Hopefully buster is right and this is being positioned to be a 911 fighter.

you&me
09-09-2020, 03:30 PM

It’s out to lunch to draw any comparison between this and the MC12... that was a hyper car of its era, this (I don’t think?) is meant to be in the same arena at all. Hopefully buster is right and this is being positioned to be a 911 fighter.

The prevailing theory is that the MC20 was originally intended to be a reborn Ferrari Dino, but it would have increased Ferrari's total production volume and ended a critical EU emissions exemption.

Instead, the Dino became a higher volume, lower priced Maserati. Meanwhile, the new Roma was originally intended to be the long discussed Gran Turismo follow up, the Alfieri, but was turned into the Roma, where a higher price was achievable with the horse on the front instead of the Trident.

vengie
09-09-2020, 03:52 PM

I don't think anyone has compared it to the MC12? Instead most have said Maserati hasn't made anything relevant since the MC12.

If this thing is <$250,000 cdn I can see it doing decent.

Xtrema
09-09-2020, 03:54 PM
I don't think anyone has compared it to the MC12? Instead most have said Maserati hasn't made anything relevant since the MC12.

If this thing is <$250,000 cdn I can see it doing decent.

Rumor is $150-$250K USD.

Wow … It is stunning, 600+ HP on a V6 turbo .. wor….

So, it is a V6 Turbo Hybrid … or a V6 and a electric version?

Well, MB is able to push 200hp/l in the A45 so not impossible and Ford GT has 650/550 with a 3.5L.

Buster
09-09-2020, 04:07 PM
The prevailing theory is that the MC20 was originally intended to be a reborn Ferrari Dino, but it would have increased Ferrari's total production volume and ended a critical EU emissions exemption.

Instead, the Dino became a higher volume, lower priced Maserati. Meanwhile, the new Roma was originally intended to be the long discussed Gran Turismo follow up, the Alfieri, but was turned into the Roma, where a higher price was achievable with the horse on the front instead of the Trident.

It would have been a perfect Dino, I think. I'm pretty disappointed in the Roma. At least the Portfofino is supposed to be a good car - after about a decade of revisions to finally get it there. (After the tail-light debacle on the Cali)

ThePenIsMightier
09-09-2020, 05:55 PM
Rumor is $150-$250K USD...

LoL at the range on that estimate!
"Might be $150k unless it turns out to be 67% more!"

ExtraSlow
09-09-2020, 05:58 PM
Might be $250k or maybe 40% less!

rage2
09-09-2020, 06:12 PM
It's the range covering the multiple models. From the base V6TT only model to the full hybrid model to the track special model.

A790
09-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Fack. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

you&me
09-09-2020, 06:19 PM

That's the holy grail of car production... Options, trim & packages that inflate the total MSRP is mostly gravy to the manufacturers (and to a lesser extent, dealers)... Porsche wrote the play book and the Ferrari Italian-ized it.

Buster
09-09-2020, 06:36 PM
That's the holy grail of car production... Options, trim & packages that inflate the total MSRP is mostly gravy to the manufacturers (and to a lesser extent, dealers)... Porsche wrote the play book and the Ferrari Italian-ized it.

Porsche is the worst. $100k 911 up to the moon on the same platform. McLaren is bad too...same motor and tub, with $200k cars up to multimillion cars.

ThePenIsMightier
09-09-2020, 07:07 PM

Porsche does this with options, Ferrari doesn't.
Completely different models are completely different models. No one should be taking about a Carrera like it's an underdressed GT2-RS.

ExtraSlow
09-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Cough Ford F150 cough.

you&me
09-10-2020, 12:09 PM
Porsche does this with options, Ferrari doesn't.

LOL. Apple Carplay is a US$4200 option in a Ferrari :rofl: The average Pista Spider has ~US$150k in options; that's almost 50% over the base price. If that's not taking the (Porsche) recipe and adding some Italian flare, I don't know what is...

Completely different models are completely different models. No one should be taking about a Carrera like it's an underdressed GT2-RS.

No, but plenty of people joke about a GT2RS as an overdressed C2... Ferrari doesn't have the model depth to pull something like that off, but I bet they wish they could! Instead, they just come out with the "special" cars (Pista, TDF, etc) and inflate the base price by 30%, then "encourage" bloated builds in a way only the Italians can, aka "add all this crap or you're not getting a car"...

Buster's right in that McLaren does it too with the various trims within each model line, which are all the same platform underneath from base to peak of their range.

ES is (of course) also correct... Ford's sprinkled some of that magic on the F150s and *cough* Lincoln Navigator...

Buster
09-10-2020, 12:25 PM
It's a testament to Porsche engineering that they can produce and sell a relatively cheap C2 and get it all the way to a GT2-RS. The higher end 911 range are entirely focused on performance and not image or exclusivity. There is something commendable in that. Personally, I need a "smile" factor in my cars, which trumps outright track performance. Platform sharing reduces that smile factor. That's what is so appealing about the cheaper McLarens...you're getting the benefit on the opposite end of the spectrum.

rage2
09-11-2020, 11:00 AM
EV version coming. MC20 Folgore, 3 motor (1 front 2 rear), more power than the standard version.

Buster
09-11-2020, 11:03 AM
gross

Xtrema
09-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Dubbed Nettuno—Italian for Neptune, whose trident inspired the Maserati logo—the engine displaces 3.0 liters and produces 621 horsepower at 7,500 rpm and 538 lb-ft of torque from 3,000 to 5,500 rpm. It has a dry sump and double overhead camshafts with variable valve timing. It also features 12 spark plugs and 12 combustion chambers.

Wow.

210HP/L, 5.1lb/HP Those are some impressive numbers.

bjstare
09-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Wow.

Is it built by Italians? Gonna self destruct before it gets off the lot.

ThePenIsMightier
09-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Wow.

This thing is starting to make me moist!

https://youtu.be/GH3TNiRERU4

ThePenIsMightier
09-18-2020, 01:35 PM
LOL. Apple Carplay is a US$4200 option in a Ferrari :rofl: The average Pista Spider has ~US$150k in options; that's almost 50% over the base price. If that's not taking the (Porsche) recipe and adding some Italian flare, I don't know what is...

No, but plenty of people joke about a GT2RS as an overdressed C2... Ferrari doesn't have the model depth to pull something like that off, but I bet they wish they could! Instead, they just come out with the "special" cars (Pista, TDF, etc) and inflate the base price by 30%, then "encourage" bloated builds in a way only the Italians can, aka "add all this crap or you're not getting a car"...

Buster's right in that McLaren does it too with the various trims within each model line, which are all the same platform underneath from base to peak of their range.

ES is (of course) also correct... Ford's sprinkled some of that magic on the F150s and *cough* Lincoln Navigator...

Oohhhh noooes! $4100 on a >$300k car.
Perhaps we were arguing when we really weren't arguing. What I'm getting at, partially, is that a standard Ferrari comes quite well dressed whereas Porsche has more a history of the base model having black VW door handles that they then want $3k to colour match, and, and, and and! Plus, most are far less money than Ferrari.
That's more in line with the F-150 system of "you can buy our truck for $18k but the one you want is $48k".

cam_wmh
09-18-2020, 04:17 PM
This looks really interesting.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-2021-maserati-mc20-before-youre-supposed-to-s-1844990074

I don't like the V6 nor the hybrid, but otherwise this looks great. Styling is really good, size should be bang on. If they can get the price right (911 Turbo S money?), then they might have a winner.

And this coming from a guy that thinks Maseratis are a pile of hot garbage.

Curious
What’s your criteria? European? Limited volumes and doesn’t share any lineage with a platform for the plebs?
Track it?
Aesthetically, sound, but not too radical?
Needs to be an auto? PDK/DSG/Graziano/ZF.. I’m not overly familiar with em.

Buster
01-08-2022, 05:41 PM
I still ike this car. I'm still not sure about the styling - it's more "generic supercar" than something new.

I've heard really not-good things about the future of the Maserati dealer network, so there's that.

It seems to sound good, they've leaned into the turbo side of things.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just a buy a mclaren though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhNIGI6yAU

shakalaka
01-08-2022, 09:03 PM
I am advised that it's a limited run for 3 years or something and all the orders have already been sold. So eventually on a used market will be the only option and it remains to be seen how it holds/appreciates in value being a limited run.

Buster
01-08-2022, 09:18 PM
I am advised that it's a limited run for 3 years or something and all the orders have already been sold. So eventually on a used market will be the only option and it remains to be seen how it holds/appreciates in value being a limited run.

I don't trust manufacturers when they say these things

Kloubek
01-08-2022, 10:14 PM
Maserati has lost its way recently with the Ghibli and the Levante. Build quality has gone down the toilet and panel gaps have gaped wide open.

Recently? Maserati hasn't been good for as long as I can remember. Their entire lineup through the decades has been generally disappointing, and they continue with their (sub)standards which weren't good enough back in the day and certainly not today when people paying that level of money know it buys them laser precision in another brand.

With that said, the sum of the parts for this MC20 look pretty alright from a performance perspective. My personal take is that it looks Lotusesque in profile.

shakalaka
01-09-2022, 12:22 AM
I don't trust manufacturers when they say these things

I expressed an interest in putting down a deposit towards one for whenever the next availability would be at my local dealer and they said they couldn't as they are all sold out. If they were going to keep producing them I would think that a dealer wouldn't turn down the opportunity to secure an order. :dunno:

On an interesting note, one of the ones ordered in Edmonton is specced with the $50K carbon fibre wheels option and the guy apparently built it to almost double its cost.

cam_wmh
01-14-2022, 01:38 PM
Thank fuck its an automatic, and has ample driver assist systems.

Buster
01-26-2022, 12:12 PM
Looking good Maserati!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z45RmhVeok4

BavarianBeast
01-26-2022, 12:24 PM
It does look good, but it sounds like a Corolla

JfuckinC
02-01-2022, 11:26 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2022-maserati-mc20-2/

Bussssta sell your monster put it towards this

Buster
02-01-2022, 11:59 PM

Bussssta sell your monster put it towards this

um...eekk....color!

JfuckinC
02-02-2022, 12:01 AM
um...eekk....color!

I forgot about your anti-black antics…

JRSC00LUDE
02-02-2022, 09:16 AM
I forgot about your anti-black antics…

He really is anti-black as an automotive finish isn't he? It's disgraceful, disgusting, dishonest and disingenuous!!!

Buster
02-07-2022, 04:08 PM
I expressed an interest in putting down a deposit towards one for whenever the next availability would be at my local dealer and they said they couldn't as they are all sold out. If they were going to keep producing them I would think that a dealer wouldn't turn down the opportunity to secure an order. :dunno:

On an interesting note, one of the ones ordered in Edmonton is specced with the $50K carbon fibre wheels option and the guy apparently built it to almost double its cost.

How was your experience at the dealer?

Were they douche porsche/ferrari or were they cool Mclaren?

shakalaka
02-07-2022, 04:44 PM
How was your experience at the dealer?

Were they douche porsche/ferrari or were they cool Mclaren?

Really good and not douchey at all. I know a guy in Calgary and Edmonton so I can put you in touch with either. I am 'closer' to the one in Edmonton so I would recommend chatting with him.

PS: My experience at Porsche recently was really good as well and not douchey at all. Have a guy if need be. Haha.

Buster
02-07-2022, 04:53 PM
Really good and not douchey at all. I know a guy in Calgary and Edmonton so I can put you in touch with either. I am 'closer' to the one in Edmonton so I would recommend chatting with him.

PS: My experience at Porsche recently was really good as well and not douchey at all. Have a guy if need be. Haha.

did you try to buy a Porsche GT car though?

shakalaka
02-07-2022, 05:35 PM
Nope. Though I was being offered a 2019 unit they have sitting there. I am sure if you chat with my people, they won't treat you in a douchey manner at all.

A2VR6
02-07-2022, 05:55 PM

annnnnddd the auction got pulled. Maserati demanded that the auction be removed despite there being no conditions on the original sale of the vehicle to the current owner.

Buster
02-07-2022, 09:43 PM
Nope. Though I was being offered a 2019 unit they have sitting there. I am sure if you chat with my people, they won't treat you in a douchey manner at all.

Sounds like getting an MC20 will be annoying and/or expensive. I think this car is a sign of things to come with how Stellantis plans to handle Maser without Ferrari getting in the way.

I'll take a look at one again in a couple of years after The Great Sportscar Price Crash.

Buster
04-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Interesting that there are a dozen of these for sale on trader. Some of them getting price chops.

shakalaka
04-24-2023, 12:25 PM
Well considering they are well marked up from MSRP to begin with, a little drop here and there doesn't really do much. I like these cars but not at $400K.

Buster
04-24-2023, 12:25 PM
Well considering they are well marked up from MSRP to begin with, a little drop here and there doesn't really do much. I like these cars but not at $400K.

god no.

BavarianBeast
04-24-2023, 12:37 PM
You can get one pretty easily for $350 if you enquire.

Still not worth it imo

Buster
04-24-2023, 12:44 PM
You can get one pretty easily for $350 if you enquire.

Still not worth it imo

i agree. better options at $350, and these are only going down in value from here. I guess thats why there are a dozen for sale. Speculators misjudged the market.

shakalaka
04-24-2023, 12:49 PM
I believe MSRP was around 250K and with options decently loaded should be 300K. Being that now they are used, I'd want to be at 200K or lower for it to make sense. Normal market that would be the case, but since they are limited run and with COVID market that I will likely never happen. At anything over 300K, I'd be looking at Lambo options over this all day.

Buster
04-24-2023, 01:03 PM
I believe MSRP was around 250K and with options decently loaded should be 300K. Being that now they are used, I'd want to be at 200K or lower for it to make sense. Normal market that would be the case, but since they are limited run and with COVID market that I will likely never happen. At anything over 300K, I'd be looking at Lambo options over this all day.

You're right...although these are much prettier than any lambo.

It's a car I would spend 200-250 under the right circumstances.

Gman.45
04-24-2023, 11:18 PM
I like the MC20 as well, but for that price, no way Jo-say. I think that the new Lotus is just as good a car as the MC20 in terms of the things I like about cars, and it's a fraction of the price, and would likely give it a very good run for the money on a track like Willow Springs. I am glad that Maserati is still in the mix though, but again, for that $ you're well into Huracan Evo range @ $400k for a low mileage one...I think - and IMO a Huracan is a much better car than the MC20 just based on specs, not having driven either.

Team_Mclaren
04-25-2023, 12:12 AM
While I know that Buster can afford it, anyone who cries that it's not worth $xx is just all talk tbh.
1. you've never and will never drive one
2. you've never and will never buy one...

And I fall under both of those categories.

The Market decides how much they sell for, not how much someone who will never buy one willing to pay...

Buster
04-25-2023, 07:32 AM
While I know that Buster can afford it, anyone who cries that it's not worth $xx is just all talk tbh.

The Market decides how much they sell for, not how much someone who will never buy one willing top pay...

This is true.

Although I don't think anyone is saying that its not worth xxxx. I'm saying it's not with xxxx to me

Different things.

ThePenIsMightier
04-25-2023, 07:47 AM
Let's not pretend that the legit owners actually drive them, either. LoL!

Buster
04-25-2023, 08:02 AM
Let's not pretend that the legit owners actually drive them, either. LoL!

The car bubble combined with cars being fodder for social media flexing has not done good things for hobbyists

jutes
04-25-2023, 08:03 AM
Ban social media.

Keep the internet for what it was intended for. Cat videos and posting pictures of your butthole.

Buster
04-25-2023, 08:04 AM
Ban people

shakalaka
04-25-2023, 10:22 AM
This is true.

Although I don't think anyone is saying that its not worth xxxx. I'm saying it's not with xxxx to me

Different things.

Exactly this.

Gman.45
04-25-2023, 11:20 AM

The Market decides how much they sell for, not how much someone who will never buy one willing to pay...

Fortunately you're a moderator, and can keep those cries to a bare minimum. Informing everyone that posts are all "just talk", on a forum where that's precisely the point, is a bit out of left field.

Xtrema
04-25-2023, 12:28 PM
Ban social media.

Keep the internet for what it was intended for. Cat videos and posting pictures of your butthole.

Well I think r/catbutthole is still up for grab.

Buster
04-25-2023, 01:09 PM
I like the MC20 as well, but for that price, no way Jo-say. I think that the new Lotus is just as good a car as the MC20 in terms of the things I like about cars, and it's a fraction of the price, and would likely give it a very good run for the money on a track like Willow Springs. I am glad that Maserati is still in the mix though, but again, for that $ you're well into Huracan Evo range @ $400k for a low mileage one...I think - and IMO a Huracan is a much better car than the MC20 just based on specs, not having driven either.

This is interesting. I think the $300k to $400k market for cars is actually a tough one. As you say, it probably makes more sense to play in the $150-$200k range. Or to bump up to the next level of cars which are much more desirable (like an 812 for me).

The main advantage of the MC20 over the Huracan is in the looks department. The Maserati looks way better than any of the Lambos. The brand name of the lambo is slightly better, but only slightly since they whored themselves out to the Q8/Urus and diluted the brand.

you&me
04-25-2023, 01:54 PM
As crazy as it sounds, the $3-400k market is pretty crowded... You have everything from top-level SUVs (G63, Urus, Bentayga) to luxo-barges (Ghost, Spur, S-class), to new exotics (MC20, 720S, 296) to all-rounders (Turbo S, Roma, Bentley GT)... And that's just the new-ish stuff... Opening that range up to anything older and the world is nearly your oyster for anything that isn't completely nuts.

With that being said, thinking about it as I wrote that, the MC20 is not high on the list at current pricing.

Buster
04-25-2023, 02:03 PM
As crazy as it sounds, the $3-400k market is pretty crowded... You have everything from top-level SUVs (G63, Urus, Bentayga) to luxo-barges (Ghost, Spur, S-class), to new exotics (MC20, 720S, 296) to all-rounders (Turbo S, Roma, Bentley GT)... And that's just the new-ish stuff... Opening that range up to anything older and the world is nearly your oyster for anything that isn't completely nuts.

With that being said, thinking about it as I wrote that, the MC20 is not high on the list at current pricing.

I agree with you. However, I think we're all lying to ourselves if we say that "driving dynamics" and such are the real reasons people buy these cars.

The real reason people buy any of them is (in this order):

1. Brand name/flexing
2. styling
3. driving experience
4. track performance.

Instead, people pretend that it's this:

1. Track performance
2. Driving dynamics
3. styling
4. Pretending they aren't just flexing.

So that's why the MC20 should be higher up on peoples' lists...the styling is the best. Artura is a bit too generic. The 296 is nice, but the pricing goes crazy when you start with options. The 720 styling hasn't aged well. Etc.

Gman.45
04-25-2023, 02:52 PM
This is interesting. I think the $300k to $400k market for cars is actually a tough one. As you say, it probably makes more sense to play in the $150-$200k range. Or to bump up to the next level of cars which are much more desirable (like an 812 for me).

The main advantage of the MC20 over the Huracan is in the looks department. The Maserati looks way better than any of the Lambos. The brand name of the lambo is slightly better, but only slightly since they whored themselves out to the Q8/Urus and diluted the brand.

That's where I (we) have landed, sort of that 150-ish range, maybe stretch to 200, but I doubt it. When we sold our GTR and got the LC, it was a more lateral move to a car that was just better for highway travel, which was 90% of our summer driving. Cost wise it isn't a huge leap to go to the Emira, which as I said, I like for a lot of various reasons, not just the cost/enjoyment ratio. A used current gen R8 is an option too, but I really want the 4cyl AMG Emira w/manual, but they won't be here until Q4 23 at the earliest, and the v6 will only be a quarter earlier, best case. I like the BRZ too, but I doubt we'll keep it when the lease comes up.

812 is a great car, that or the F12 are the Ferraris I like best. I've driven an F12. I used to see them regularly near our place in Palm Springs, but they are very rare up here by comparison, another + IMO.

Now that Ferrari and McLaren have V6 hybrid cars that are putting down serious numbers, the MC20 doesn't seem quite as overpriced, but despite the Lambo/Audi/etc issues you mentioned, I still think a 2020 Evo with a V10 is a much better value - on paper, again not having driven either - than the MC20. Looks are probably the most subjective category w/cars, the MC20 looks very similar to the Emira IMO, hence the comparison, but I still think the Huracan looks a lot better than either, especially from the back. Sound is a huge selling point for me now, the LC was love at first drive due to the sounds it makes, and the Huracan sounds great stock, even better with a relatively inexpensive exhaust. The MC20, based on just videos, doesn't sound "bad", but it's not very inspiring, at least for me. I do agree though that the MC20 shouldn't be ignored by anyone in that market range.

shakalaka
04-25-2023, 02:57 PM
I will sell my R8 if interested. Then I can move into something even better like a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. :D

Gman.45
04-25-2023, 03:20 PM
I will sell my R8 if interested. Then I can move into something even better like a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. :D

I was just thinking about your R8, as I am firmly in the hardtop category, but I'm in danger of being overuled by the pants wearer of the household, as she wants a convertible (it'd be her first). Probably a bit out of our range, besides, with that exhaust your car probably sounds incredible, especially with the roof down. It's the one car that you should try to keep. We know you won't though. I had a phase like that in the mid 90s when I moved to Calgary. I had a 1995 R/T Turbo, RX7 Turbo, and a 300zx TT all in 2 years (missed the Supra with the quad-fecta of import sports cars of the day). Then a 97 Firebird RamAir, 98 Firebird RamAir, and a 2002 Camaro SS. 6 cars in five years.

shakalaka
04-25-2023, 03:57 PM
Yea I got bigger issues and sometimes can't help myself. If I actually get rid of the R8, I wouldn't replace it with anything as of yet & concentrate on some ventures which if they work-out then get into something better. But it's been a proper struggle between the brain and the heart on selling or keeping the R8 as logic says to let it go especially since I have the M850 also, but the heart doesn't want to. We will see what wins in the coming months. Haha.

I too was a big coupe crowd and never liked Spyder, but I can tell you with the top down, with my exhaust, foot on the throttle, it reminds me of F1 cars from the V10 era. Can't explain the feeling, it's unreal.

Buster
04-25-2023, 04:05 PM
Yea I got bigger issues and sometimes can't help myself. If I actually get rid of the R8, I wouldn't replace it with anything as of yet & concentrate on some ventures which if they work-out then get into something better. But it's been a proper struggle between the brain and the heart on selling or keeping the R8 as logic says to let it go especially since I have the M850 also, but the heart doesn't want to. We will see what wins in the coming months. Haha.

I too was a big coupe crowd and never liked Spyder, but I can tell you with the top down, with my exhaust, foot on the throttle, it reminds me of F1 cars from the V10 era. Can't explain the feeling, it's unreal.

Yeah, I'm launching two new ventures this year. One later this spring and one later in the year. Had a decent win liquidating one last year. Business is more interesting than cars ATM.

shakalaka
04-25-2023, 05:09 PM
That's great to hear. Always nice to hear positive business stories. I on the other hand just got screwed out on a business netting $800K/yr due to a fucked employee. And on top now in middle of a litigation battle with the landlord which if they were to have their way, would have us taking a further 1M hit and lose out on significant out-of-pocket initial funding.

The Lambo was literally months away until shit hit the fan earlier this year. Fucking sucks but I guess it is what it is. On to the next one.

you&me
04-25-2023, 05:25 PM
That's great to hear. Always nice to hear positive business stories. I on the other hand just got screwed out on a business netting $800K/yr due to a fucked employee. And on top now in middle of a litigation battle with the landlord which if they were to have their way, would have us taking a further 1M hit and lose out on significant out-of-pocket initial funding.

The Lambo was literally months away until shit hit the fan earlier this year. Fucking sucks but I guess it is what it is. On to the next one.

Sucks to hear, but I'm convinced the biggest barrier to getting something going is just actually doing it... The fact that you got screwed on one deal doesn't take away from the fact that you actually got something going, which means you'll be able to do it again. GL!

Buster
04-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Sucks to hear, but I'm convinced the biggest barrier to getting something going is just actually doing it... The fact that you got screwed on one deal doesn't take away from the fact that you actually got something going, which means you'll be able to do it again. GL!

this

killramos
04-25-2023, 05:56 PM
I like liquidity.

shakalaka
05-03-2023, 06:07 PM
Okay fuck, my curiosity got the best of me. I am test driving one of these on the weekend. Not sure how conversation went from Giulia QV to the MC20 but whatever.

killramos
05-03-2023, 06:13 PM
Attaboy

vengie
05-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Bump: how did it go Shak? When do you take delivery?

you&me
05-09-2023, 11:59 AM
For what it's worth, MC20s in the US are dropping below MSRP, with cars with some miles going for >$10/mile under MSRP... The tide is turning quickly on these...

Buster
05-09-2023, 12:02 PM
For what it's worth, MC20s in the US are dropping below MSRP, with cars with some miles going for >$10/mile under MSRP... The tide is turning quickly on these...

the tide is turning on almost everything. We're going to see a historical decline in the value of these types of cars.

shakalaka
05-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Haha I wouldn't be going for it. I was more so curious than anything and when they mentioned it was incoming I figured why not. I didn't ask to drive it either as I didn't want to get too tempted and if I know it's not the route I want to go I don't want to even think about it. Though the thought of getting rid of my R8 and M850 for it still lingers lol.

It's a consignment vehicle and will be listed for 400K (or around there). That's fuckin Lambo money...sick car though for sure. I met the owner as well, old guy who had back surgery and can't get in and out of anymore. Specced it like crazy, the paint job was 26K option and some other options totalled 150K.

On a side note I drove the Giulia Quadrifoglio and damn that car is fun. Might go for that and that's more realistic for me. Haha.

Buster
05-09-2023, 12:45 PM
. I met the owner as well, old guy who had back surgery and can't get in and out of anymore. .

haha, ya sure.

More like "holy fuck, I specced a car that I thought would appreciate like crazy, and now I need to dump it fast so someone else takes the bath."

max_boost
05-09-2023, 12:57 PM
haha, ya sure.

More like "holy fuck, I specced a car that I thought would appreciate like crazy, and now I need to dump it fast so someone else takes the bath."

is that how rich ppl think lol

i always thought they just write it off and don't really care lol

i often wonder

ThePenIsMightier
05-09-2023, 12:58 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if shak was a complete fraud? I don't believe that he is, at all, I'm just playing a thought game.

Like, imagine the thread where that got uncovered and how quickly everyone would turn on him. I think it would end up being a Top-5 thread ever.

Buster
05-09-2023, 01:00 PM
is that how rich ppl think lol

i always thought they just write it off and don't really care lol

i often wonder

When assets like cars appreciate it draws in a lot of people who aren't normally rich enough to play the game, but can justify it due to the appreciation. The faster the appreciation, the more people you get in on the speculation and the faster the appreciation goes.

The car bubble isn't being created by people who can afford the cars, it's being created by people who can't. And when they go away, the bubble goes pop. The retail posted prices to no-sale spreads on BaT are pretty telling.

you&me
05-09-2023, 01:19 PM
When assets like cars appreciate it draws in a lot of people who aren't normally rich enough to play the game, but can justify it due to the appreciation. The faster the appreciation, the more people you get in on the speculation and the faster the appreciation goes.

The car bubble isn't being created by people who can afford the cars, it's being created by people who can't. And when they go away, the bubble goes pop. The retail posted prices to no-sale spreads on BaT are pretty telling.

100000000%

There are LOTS of people that can afford, say, a $300k car... but FAR FEWER can - or want to - afford the normal depreciation on a car at that level... If a car doesn't depreciate, it's easy for the merely well-off professionals (typical lawyers, doctors, engineers) to play the game where they park (some) money in a car, drive it for a year or two and get their money back. But those same people would puke their guts out if that same car depreciated by half over 3 years, so they'll just sit it out - that's a game for the truly rich.

The manufacturers have ridden this wave and have now come to rely on it. Once the bubble starts show signs of a leak - nevermind bursting - it becomes a death spiral.

Buster
05-09-2023, 01:42 PM
100000000%

There are LOTS of people that can afford, say, a $300k car... but FAR FEWER can - or want to - afford the normal depreciation on a car at that level... If a car doesn't depreciate, it's easy for the merely well-off professionals (typical lawyers, doctors, engineers) to play the game where they park (some) money in a car, drive it for a year or two and get their money back. But those same people would puke their guts out if that same car depreciated by half over 3 years, so they'll just sit it out - that's a game for the truly rich.

The manufacturers have ridden this wave and have now come to rely on it. Once the bubble starts show signs of a leak - nevermind bursting - it becomes a death spiral.

I would love to see data on customer deposits for high-end cars (never mind exotics). Carrying a deposit with rates high is not the same as carrying a deposit when rates were very low/zero.

Gman.45
05-09-2023, 02:13 PM

This x infinity. I think goofballs like the DDE type YT channels with 8 cars in their inventory will all take massive hits/baths when the bottom really falls out. Then their channels will be about how to scrape money together in order to not lose your shirt. Might still be interesting...

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see data on customer deposits for high-end cars (never mind exotics). Carrying a deposit with rates high is not the same as carrying a deposit when rates were very low/zero.

How much difference/$ would you estimate carrying a deposit on a typical exotic is at current rates compared to say 5/6 years or whatever ago when they were extremely low or zero? Very interested to see how much $ this would mean total when considering how many cars the dealers move yearly. Fucking stealerships...