PDA

View Full Version : Denis Villeneuve, Dune

Buster
09-09-2020, 11:11 AM
First trailer here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQCH3wObeU

colsankey
09-09-2020, 02:02 PM
Looks good, but lots of action cuts, hopfully it's not all the good parts.

Buster
10-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Delayed a whole year!

https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-release-date-delayed-2021/

colsankey
10-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Son of a bitch!

That trailer music comes back to me every few days, was really looking forward to streaming this.

birdman86
10-05-2020, 09:02 PM
God damnit.

finboy
10-06-2020, 07:17 AM
God damnit

birdman86
07-22-2021, 09:55 AM
Second trailer dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG7QhzmavZg&ab_channel=KinoCheckInternational

shakalaka
07-22-2021, 10:37 AM
Never played the games but seems like my kinda movie.

ZenOps
07-23-2021, 11:53 AM
Dune 2 on PC was classic. The spice must flow.

holden
10-21-2021, 11:07 AM
What's the deal with theatre's these days, are they full capacity? I wanna watch Dune in IMAX, but would rather not be sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers for 2.5 hours.

2Legit2Quit
10-21-2021, 11:18 AM
What's the deal with theatre's these days, are they full capacity? I wanna watch Dune in IMAX, but would rather not be sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers for 2.5 hours.

Was just looking into this for the same reason, looks like at Chinook you can reserve your seats and they'll place an empty seat beside you on each side. You can view the seat maps here: https://www.cineplex.com/Theatre/scotiabank-theatre-chinook

The Landmark up north with imax looks to have pairs of 2 for selection with 2 empty seats beside selectable ones.

beyond_ban
10-21-2021, 11:43 AM
Landmark theatres are the best with power reclining side by side chairs with a liftable arm rest between. Even if the theare was at max capacity, you still have no chance of touching a neighbour unless you really were trying.

beecue
10-21-2021, 11:55 AM
The landmark imax doesn't have recliners though and it sucks compared to chinook if you are only looking at imax.

I booked my tickets for tomorrow night even though I could stream it tonight. This is a must watch in theatres.

birdman86
10-21-2021, 12:12 PM
It was down to Imax at Chinook or Ultra AVX at Sunridge...ended up going for the AVX for recliner seats and nicer theater overall. Pretty sure AVX is better in everything except screen size anyway isn't it?

2Legit2Quit
10-21-2021, 12:13 PM
Booked ours just now for Saturday at Chinook, looking forward to finally seeing this

beecue
10-23-2021, 11:33 AM
Such a visually stunning movie! Just sucks there was not really a climax since it was part 1. We don't even know if there will be a sequel either. That would be the worst if that's all we got.

dirtsniffer
10-23-2021, 01:39 PM
One of my favorite directors with a bunch of my favorite actors. No idea what dune is about but looking forward to seeing this regardless

Buster
10-23-2021, 01:41 PM
Saw it in Imax at chinook yesterday. Was sensational.

I'll take a faux climax and a second movie, no problem at all.

dirtsniffer
10-23-2021, 02:21 PM
But you're probably used to seeing faux climaxes. Might need another opinion

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 02:24 PM
Probably going Tuesday.

Buster
10-23-2021, 02:25 PM
But you're probably used to seeing faux climaxes. Might need another opinion

I did not see this coming, and it's amazing.

2Legit2Quit
10-23-2021, 03:15 PM
Saw the noon IMAX showing today, crazy good. Visuals are insane, great cast, good pace for a long movie. Well worth the wait.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 03:20 PM
I don't go to cinemas much. What's Imax Vs laser atmos?

I used to like the "real" Imax at the eau Claire theatre, but that's different, right?

Buster
10-23-2021, 03:23 PM
I don't go to cinemas much. What's Imax Vs laser atmos?

I used to like the "real" Imax at the eau Claire theatre, but that's different, right?

Chinook is the only iMax worth considering. It's a worthwhile upgrade over the other technologies

ExtraSlow
10-23-2021, 03:26 PM
That's easy, I'm not going to chinook, so I won't worry about it.

finboy
10-23-2021, 08:47 PM
Such a visually stunning movie! Just sucks there was not really a climax since it was part 1. We don't even know if there will be a sequel either. That would be the worst if that's all we got.

This is my concern, theatre was not very full and the numbers for this weekend aren’t great. Sad part about Villeneuve is that he makes great movies that most people don’t want to see.

Fingers crossed we get a conclusion

For context:

Last week the new Halloween movie made $49.4 million. It also released same day digital.

The week before Bond made (a disappointing) $55.5.

The week before that, Venom pulled in $90.

Shang Chi made more money in its second weekend than Dune is projected to make in its first.

Jungle Cruise opened to $35 mil in the last weekend of July.

This is the lowest opening for a major movie since Free Guy in August, which had a budget $40 mil less and Covid was worse.

BR 2049 opened to the same numbers with a smaller budget (and undoubtedly a smaller marketing campaign) and is considered a financial failure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/qdw8vs/dune_shifting_between_30m32m_opening_weekend/

2Legit2Quit
10-25-2021, 01:52 PM
Dune did $40.1 million over the weekend domestically across US/Canada, should aid in the sequel(s?) being green lit

suntan
10-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Apparently it's mostly good?!? I want to watch now. I quite like the books.

I did not know they were planning to do two movies, that will be MUCH better. Always LOL at the Lynch version that compresses the last 2/3 of the book into 15 minutes.

"Well shit, we ran out of money, here's Sting almost naked!"

Darell_n
10-25-2021, 02:13 PM
I really enjoyed the movie as well. Also downloaded the 31 Dune audio book refresher to keep me listening for the next forever, or until I’m sick of them. (23Gb)

2Legit2Quit
10-25-2021, 02:51 PM
The new movie is missing some Captain Picard holding a pug during battle though, loses a few points for that

finboy
10-25-2021, 04:18 PM
Apparently it's mostly good?!? I want to watch now. I quite like the books.

I did not know they were planning to do two movies, that will be MUCH better. Always LOL at the Lynch version that compresses the last 2/3 of the book into 15 minutes.

"Well shit, we ran out of money, here's Sting almost naked!"

I think it will end up working a lot better watching straight through on both movies (hopefully with director cuts). This movie just kind of stops like a commercial break rather than a closing scene that will lead to a next movie.

2Legit2Quit
10-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Welp looks like it didn't take long for the sequel to get the go ahead, October 2023 aimed release date

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-sequel-greenlit-by-legendary-warner-bros-theatrical-release-1234862383/

beecue
10-26-2021, 02:01 PM
What a relief! I watched it again at home last night and so glad I watched in the theatres the first go.

Though I wish I watched it in Imax. I'm definitely not making that mistake for the second part.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2021, 07:06 AM
Holy fuck, that was loud. That is my first and last impression of that movie. I don't know if Landmark had the volume fucked up or what, but it was painfully loud.

Also some movement flicker at parts, particularly the overhead city shots when they first got to arakis.
Ended up in the Landmark Country Hills Imax theatre due to showtimes.
Still satisfied. Still interested for ep2.

msommers
10-27-2021, 09:55 AM
As someone who hasn't read the books, I was pretty lost and feeling like there is a ton they couldn't fit in the movie. Visually great yes, but lots of holes. May have to embark on reading the books

Buster
10-27-2021, 09:57 AM
As someone who hasn't read the books, I was pretty lost and feeling like there is a ton they couldn't fit in the movie. Visually great yes, but lots of holes. May have to embark on reading the books

*Book

I dont think there are any plans to make the sequel books, which were quite different.

suntan
10-27-2021, 11:18 AM
Holy fuck, that was loud. That is my first and last impression of that movie. I don't know if Landmark had the volume fucked up or what, but it was painfully loud.

Also some movement flicker at parts, particularly the overhead city shots when they first got to arakis.

Theatres these days are LOUD.

I watched Gladiator in the USA, it was so loud that my hearing was muffled after the movie was over.

colsankey
10-27-2021, 07:32 PM
Loved it.
Volume was kept at a normal level in my basement, but I really liked it.

Big upgrade from the original I re-watched about 2 months ago.

schocker
10-27-2021, 10:59 PM

Feels like I was at a concert. Even louder than no time to die. I thought it was great though having not yet read the book.

holden
10-28-2021, 08:55 PM
Looks like this is the last weekend to see it in IMAX.

Inzane
11-02-2021, 10:51 AM
I saw it last week and thought it was excellent. I'm quite familiar with the source material (books), and the David Lynch film, and the sci fi mini-series.

This was a pretty good representation so far. However, I found it lacked some exposition that would've helped people that are coming in cold. A lot of important details and explanation was left out. And a few key characters too, which surely will appear in part 2, but were conspicuously absent in part 1.

For the most part this movie was vastly superior to the two prior on-screen incarnations. But I couldn't help but compare at certain points. And surprisingly I found there were still a few things I still liked better in the Lynch version than here. For example, I like how the gom jabbar scene was done in the Lynch film more. (perhaps it was the acting of the two characters involved) Also the scene with the first worm appearance when they are mining spice - one of the highlights of the Lynch film IMO. In this new one, your head is slammed with the Zimmer score which is basically just a wall of sound at times and it was hard to hear and discern what was going on.

Most of the cast was great. But not all of them are necessarily better than their 1984 Lynch counterparts. e.g. I thought the new Lady Jessica was played rather flat... lacked the emotional range that Francesca Annis had.

I am relieved Part 2 has been green lit. Now the long wait.

Buster
11-02-2021, 10:55 AM
I saw it last week and thought it was excellent. I'm quite familiar with the source material (books), and the David Lynch film, and the sci fi mini-series.

This was a pretty good representation so far. However, I found it lacked some exposition that would've helped people that are coming in cold. A lot of important details and explanation was left out. And a few key characters too, which surely will appear in part 2, but were conspicuously absent in part 1.

For the most part this movie was vastly superior to the two prior on-screen incarnations. But I couldn't help but compare at certain points. And surprisingly I found there were still a few things I still liked better in the Lynch version than here. For example, I like how the gom jabbar scene was done in the Lynch film more. (perhaps it was the acting of the two characters involved) Also the scene with the first worm appearance when they are mining spice - one of the highlights of the Lynch film IMO. In this new one, your head is slammed with the Zimmer score which is basically just a wall of sound at times and it was hard to hear and discern what was going on.

Most of the cast was great. But not all of them are necessarily better than their 1984 Lynch counterparts. e.g. I thought the new Lady Jessica was played rather flat... lacked the emotional range that Francesca Annis had.

user name checks out

Inzane
11-02-2021, 11:33 AM
user name checks out

about which part??

JRSC00LUDE
11-02-2021, 03:07 PM
I know absolutely nothing about this franchise whatsoever which makes it hard to want to bother trying to watch it. I am the polar opposite of Inzane. Or maybe I am just Inzane in the membrane and should give it a go?

Tik-Tok
11-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Sounds to me like I'll be disappointed with the "ending" and should just wait until part 2 comes out to watch them both.

beyond_ban
11-02-2021, 05:48 PM
I know nothing about Dune but i have been told i must see it so i am going to Imax tonight at 7. Will report back.

ExtraSlow
11-02-2021, 05:55 PM
Take earplugs

Buster
11-02-2021, 06:01 PM

No aspect of the Lynch film is superior to the DV film. No acting, no worm appearances, Rebecca Ferguson was great as Jessica.

beyond_ban
11-03-2021, 09:47 AM
I loved it. I am no movie buff but that really checked a lot of boxes, almost makes me want to pick up the books to see what happens next rather than waiting years for the sequel.

Take earplugs

It was loud but thankfully i've ruined my hearing enough over the years with loud music that i don't think any further damage was done.

birdman86
11-09-2021, 07:00 PM
I loved it. I am no movie buff but that really checked a lot of boxes, almost makes me want to pick up the books to see what happens next rather than waiting years for the sequel.

It was loud but thankfully i've ruined my hearing enough over the years with loud music that i don't think any further damage was done.

To be fair the first book is probably the single best science fiction novel ever written. My opinion...but not an uncommon one

Xtrema
11-10-2021, 12:47 PM
I know absolutely nothing about this franchise whatsoever which makes it hard to want to bother trying to watch it. I am the polar opposite of Inzane. Or maybe I am just Inzane in the membrane and should give it a go?

Give it a go while it's still on good screens. Beautiful pictures, beautiful sound.

But if you are more like ADHD Marvel movies kind of person, you'll get bored.

holden
11-11-2021, 03:12 PM
For those that didn't like it, what did you think about something like Blade Runner 2049, another Villeneuve film. Many called it a sci-fi classic and better than the original, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Buster
11-11-2021, 03:14 PM
For those that didn't like it, what did you think about something like Blade Runner 2049, another Villeneuve film. Many called it a sci-fi classic and better than the original, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

It was amazing. But I'm a huge DV fanboi.

Inzane
11-15-2021, 12:14 PM

BR 2049 was pretty great, but NOT better than the original. IMHO.

*edit. sorry I didn't notice the first part of your question. I liked Dune AND BR 2049.

Xtrema
11-15-2021, 01:32 PM

Visually stunning but his pace on story is much too slow in today's ADHD world.

Arrival is still DV's best film IMHO. Mostly because it's not an existing IP and you didn't expect what's coming. Also very Nolan-ish.

Buster
11-15-2021, 01:38 PM
Visually stunning but his pace on story is much too slow in today's ADHD world.

Arrival is still DV's best film IMHO. Mostly because it's not an existing IP and you didn't expect what's coming. Also very Nolan-ish.

Arrival was existing IP.

Xtrema
11-15-2021, 01:46 PM
Arrival was existing IP.

I guess I should have said sequel/prequel/reboot.

killramos
03-29-2022, 08:31 PM
Was there like 3 other movies I was supposed to watch before I watched this to be able to enjoy it fully or something?

A lot of epic for very little explanation…

Buster
03-29-2022, 08:50 PM
Was there like 3 other movies I was supposed to watch before I watched this to be able to enjoy it fully or something?

Books help

suntan
03-29-2022, 09:40 PM
It’s about the first half of the first book.

Tik-Tok
03-30-2022, 07:39 AM

They definitely blow through the lore quickly. Watching the beginning again might help. Or read the book.

The eighties one was even worse. I remember being confused as fuck, so I had to read it.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2022, 07:42 AM
It's a confusing and complicated story.

Gman.45
04-04-2022, 10:46 AM
They definitely blow through the lore quickly. Watching the beginning again might help. Or read the book.

The eighties one was even worse. I remember being confused as fuck, so I had to read it.

Agreed, when I saw the 80s film I was in complete wtf mode, even though I was 12 or 13 when it came out. I read the first book that week, and it's been a favorite I re read every few years ever since. This Villneuve film was fantastic IMO, the sound in the theater alone was worth the price. I can't wait for the second part.

There is a TV series out this year on the Bene Ges apparently too.

I really like the original TV series that SciFi did, both the Children of Dune 3 part and the original 2 part, it wasn't bad at all. This latest film though was great.

BigDL
04-04-2022, 01:01 PM
I really like the original TV series that SciFi did, both the Children of Dune 3 part and the original 2 part, it wasn't bad at all. This latest film though was great.

Found a youtube video for the scifi series. Man I think I like the 80's physical effects vs a lot of the bad early CGI.