PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 6 Diesel Coming?

ThePenIsMightier
10-11-2020, 09:31 AM
No. But people want you to think it's a vague possibility.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36997/the-mazda6-diesel-is-finally-certified-for-america-just-in-time-for-the-end-of-production-in-europe

I wish we had way more diesel options here in Canada. I think we're on the edge of diesel fuels being massively improved (environmentally) by blending with better synthetic fuels, so it should be an interesting market before long. We'll need to keep some political morons from attempting to simply ban diesel in the meantime, so there's still risk.
A Mazda 6 would be an interesting option but I'd also like more of the German luxury options.
Did I see a diesel Cayenne the other day? Is that a thing we could buy, here?

ExtraSlow
10-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Doesn't Mazda have so e funky compression ignition gasoline engine in Europe? It sounds like fucking magic.

corsvette
10-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Doesn't Mazda have so e funky compression ignition gasoline engine in Europe? It sounds like fucking magic.

Nissan/Infiniti has a variable compression engine, coming from them the reliability of it will be questionable.

Don't think we'll see many mainstream diesel offerings in North America. Any that have been offered had pretty low take rates. The only successful diesel car maker was VW, they built them so long they had a huge following.

benyl
10-11-2020, 03:07 PM
I doubt it. Politicians are on the electric bandwagon. With California and other states banning the sale of Dino powered cars, you will see other states and some provinces follow suit.

Walmart just order a shit tonne of Electric Semis from Tesla. Amazon has an electric delivery van they are building for their own purpose. If the commercial market isn’t supporting Diesel, I am not sure the private market will.

ExtraSlow
10-11-2020, 03:37 PM

This was the thing I was thinking of.
Spark controlled compression ignition, using gasoline as a fuel.
https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/engineers/skyactiv-x/

Aleks
10-11-2020, 05:56 PM
Mazda already basically sells diesel like cars. The 2.5T gas engine in their line-up has diesel type power figures. Very low hp and high tq. 227hp/320lb.ft

BigDL
10-12-2020, 12:30 AM
there was a 2019 diesel cx5

ThePenIsMightier
10-12-2020, 08:52 AM

I don't know. I thought they released a variable compression engine that was pretty weird and that was here.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2020, 08:56 AM
This was the thing I was thinking of.
Spark controlled compression ignition, using gasoline as a fuel.
https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/mazda-stories/engineers/skyactiv-x/
ThePenIsMightier, this was the one.

ThePenIsMightier
10-12-2020, 09:17 AM
ThePenIsMightier, this was the one.

Oops. Reading > me.
Fucking decaf...

ExtraSlow
10-12-2020, 09:23 AM
I don't like coffee enough to drink decaf.

revelations
10-12-2020, 09:53 AM
May not be related, but taken over a vehicles life time, including raw materials - are ICE vehicles still not ahead of EV in terms of over all pollution?

I mean volvo had an engine (ICE) that actually cleaned the air (using all kinds of exhaust filters) - where as EVs require batteries that are mined and then disposed of. Also the assembly of the batteries requires a lot of transportation.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2020, 10:02 AM
How dare you make that comparison. Even attempting to evaluate that question is enough to get you black listed.

revelations
10-12-2020, 10:04 AM
How dare you make that comparison. Even attempting to evaluate that question is enough to get you black listed.

sorry! sorry ..... thats 20 years-ago thinking, you know back when big picture analysis was still considered ok.

ThePenIsMightier
10-12-2020, 10:07 AM

That's a big part of the reason the diesel 6 will likely never come. All these automakers are cranking out pseudo-SUV's displacing cars.

ExtraSlow
10-12-2020, 10:08 AM
There was probably some kind of unassailable social knowledge back then. Just hard to remember what it was in hindsight.

Neil4Speed
10-13-2020, 07:03 AM
I wish we had way more diesel options here in Canada. I think we're on the edge of diesel fuels being massively improved (environmentally) by blending with better synthetic fuels, so it should be an interesting market before long. We'll need to keep some political morons from attempting to simply ban diesel in the meantime, so there's still risk.
A Mazda 6 would be an interesting option but I'd also like more of the German luxury options.
Did I see a diesel Cayenne the other day? Is that a thing we could buy, here?

Agreed - I am a big fan of Diesels. Exceptional fuel mileage, and often the price is cheaper than regular (other than for a few months in the winter where it goes higher than premium for some reason). Low-end torque means that they are also fun to drive.

I am pro-EV in general, and like the direction, but at the end of the day, burning coal for electricity, and battery material sourcing/sustainability is an issue.

I have a Diesel Cayenne, its actually my second (long story), but I really love it.

ThePenIsMightier
10-13-2020, 07:38 AM
Agreed - I am a big fan of Diesels. Exceptional fuel mileage, and often the price is cheaper than regular (other than for a few months in the winter where it goes higher than premium for some reason). Low-end torque means that they are also fun to drive.

I am pro-EV in general, and like the direction, but at the end of the day, burning coal for electricity, and battery material sourcing/sustainability is an issue.

I have a Diesel Cayenne, its actually my second (long story), but I really love it.

That winter price spike seems to be due to the extreme Northern communities having a big spike in demand and supply not really changing. Diesel is burned to generate electricity in some areas and their electric heating needs skyrocket when it's extremely cold out.
I'm gonna go look up diesel Cayenne, here.

Xtrema
10-13-2020, 08:18 AM

And compared to the cheaper 2.5T which is way more fun to drive, I don't know why anyone would buy that unless you drive a lot.

May not be related, but taken over a vehicles life time, including raw materials - are ICE vehicles still not ahead of EV in terms of over all pollution?

https://youtu.be/6RhtiPefVzM

TLDW
Depends, if your pollution is strictly CO2, average offset is 2 years in for ICE vs EV. Of course this is based on 2018 tech. If battery density goes up in subsequent generation of EVs, the offset will come faster.

Even if you toast and replace battery every 8 years, you still have 6 years of huge offsets compared to fossil fuel.

For other ecological damages for mining, that's harder to quantify but I think lithium mining vs oil sand is probably a draw if you don't involve any geopolitical/labor arguments.

E3 Metal of Alberta expect $2B of lithium extracted here by 2030 out of the globally expect $116B pie by then.

While staying on topic.....

Mazda's 1st EV MX-30 will be paired with a rotary engine as range extender.
https://carbuzz.com/news/mazdas-rotary-engine-is-making-a-comeback

BigDL
10-13-2020, 09:06 AM
And compared to the cheaper 2.5T which is way more fun to drive, I don't know why anyone would buy that unless you drive a lot.

https://carbuzz.com/news/mazdas-rotary-engine-is-making-a-comeback

No clue, I think at one point they had a couple sitting on the dealer lot lol. I agree with the 2.5T in my test drives it was pretty fun to drive, out of all the ones I cross shopped it was the most fun to drive with the least amount of annoyances.

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 09:59 AM

I couldn't find much about Diesel Cayenne. It appears a Calgary dealership had some as loaners that were for sale but I think it was an older or cached web page I found.

Neil4Speed
11-09-2020, 07:49 PM
I couldn't find much about Diesel Cayenne. It appears a Calgary dealership had some as loaners that were for sale but I think it was an older or cached web page I found.

Yes, PCC was trying to sell some of the loaners about a year back, but they were definitely a bit pricey. They are relatively rare but do pop up. The challenge is getting one with a option set that meets your needs. The second one that I have is close to maxed out for options, which actually make the car feel much more special.

Overall, I would definitely recommend them to people looking for a great driving, practical and economical vehicle.

The notable "cons" would be; 1. the headunit doesn't have Carplay etc. and takes about 30 seconds to pair with your phone every time you get in. 2. Doesn't have a great 'porsche-like' exhaust sound 3. If you are really into audio, the Bose system is bit of a let down. Due to diesel gate, most have diesel component warranty that goes until 2023-2025/200k+. I am hoping to keep mine for a very long time, and thinking in a few years I will upgrade the audio/headunit, and do an exhaust modification to get better sound.

(My first one, a 2014 right after Tirebob did a summer changeover)

(Some 'everyday' photos of my second one, the first being me trying the air suspension going to a very mild trailhead)

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 08:15 PM
^That's awesome.
In future, you can save words by saying "Bose car stereo" and everyone who's ever heard over will know precisely what you mean. LoL!

Neil4Speed
11-09-2020, 09:47 PM
^That's awesome.
In future, you can save words by saying "Bose car stereo" and everyone who's ever heard over will know precisely what you mean. LoL!

LOL! Totally!

ThePenIsMightier
05-22-2021, 02:02 PM
Bump!

No diesel. In fact, it looks like Mazda is discontinuing the 6 in Canada and USA.

"Mazda deep-sixes the Mazda6, but keeps the CX-3 for Canada – New and Used Car Reviews, Comparisons and News | Driving" https://driving.ca/auto-news/industry/mazda-deep-sixes-the-mazda6-but-keeps-the-cx-3-for-canada/amp

pheoxs
05-23-2021, 09:48 AM
Seems more and more car makers are dumping out of the car market for NA following Ford's move. It's crazy we might actually just see the end of the 'car' in a decade or too.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2021, 09:51 AM
I can't wait for an automaker to bring out a "new" lowered SUV.