PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen SUV - weak?

syscal
10-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Tuesday morning my wife sees some lady in a VW SUV come flying around the corner in front of our place and slam into the curb. She U-turns, parks her vehicle, checks it out and leaves.

I had a look and the front tire that took the damage was pushed back into the wheel well, rubbing against it. Something expensive broken I’m sure.

Fast forward to Wednesday night there’s another VW SUV with hazards on in front of the house with the exact same issue, and the tire tracks indicating they’d also hit the curb in the same spot. I took a photo this time. Keep in mind, this spot is not particularly icy, we take that corner many times a day without winter tires - but at an appropriate speed. I find it odd that the VW’s slid into the curb in the first place, but my wife did see the one gal was taking it too fast.

It has me wondering. I haven’t hit too many curbs in my 28ish years of driving and, the one time I remember hitting hard, I straightened out the wheels before nailing it. My wife hit a curb hard a few years back in her CX9 and we had to get things re-aligned but no other damage. I can’t say I’ve seen damage like this from a sub-50km/hr hit, let alone two vehicles in a row.

So, wondering if this due to a design flaw from VW - or if I just haven’t heard enough stories?

jutes
10-22-2020, 11:55 AM
Those tires look totally adequate for snow and ice.

riander5
10-22-2020, 12:04 PM
Lol might as well be rolling on slicks

swak
10-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Alignment is off i think

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Looks like they are using all-seasons. That's probably why they are sliding everywhere, not because it's a VW.

syscal
10-22-2020, 12:51 PM
Should have know this would turn into a winter tire thread. :bullshit:

I'm wondering about the extent of the damage from hitting the curb at a low speed, not the reason they slid in the first place.

AndyL
10-22-2020, 12:58 PM
Normal, ford fusions do the same - but typically the whole knuckle/wheel sheds and fucks up the rocker.

Gotta realize the front steering isn't what it was for genx and prior - it's a crumple zone itself now - it's designed to bend absorb energy. This isn't the 70/80s where things were built more solid.

jutes
10-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Should just get a Sequioa, Armada or Yukon and stop fukin around with these baby large SUVs.

Or just get winter tires.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Curbs can fuck you right up. I did that to one of my cars once.

killramos
10-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Armada? lol

Can’t say I have ever heard of someone recommending one of those before.

Disoblige
10-22-2020, 01:05 PM
Maybe it's not VWs, but the type of people who buy VW SUVs?

killramos
10-22-2020, 01:05 PM

Women?

Disoblige
10-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Women?
Who knows...

Perhaps late-20s to mid-30s Caucasian women?

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2020, 01:13 PM
You should go take a photo of the curb to complain to 311 before it moves elsewhere.

cyra1ax
10-22-2020, 01:18 PM

I thought they're called SUVW's now....

killramos
10-22-2020, 01:18 PM
Who knows...

Perhaps late-20s to mid-30s Caucasian women?

Millennial Women!

dirtsniffer
10-22-2020, 01:20 PM
Might not be able to cook, but at least they can smoke curbs!

swak
10-22-2020, 01:20 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

jwslam
10-22-2020, 01:31 PM
is it because Wagon in Volkswagen sounds like Karen?

SKR
10-22-2020, 01:32 PM
I'd imagine having the brakes locked up would contribute to that damage a little. If the tire is able to roll it might have a chance at bouncing off the curb and staying straight.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2020, 01:44 PM
The way I did that type of damage when I was young and cool, and the best way in my opinion, is to slam the brakes hard and hold them down, with keeping the wheel cranked as far as possible to the side. Ensures a really "square" hit and maximum damage.

easing off the brakes and allowing the tire to roll over the curb is useless, barely an damage at all.

vengie
10-22-2020, 01:52 PM
Considering her rim is missing a massive chunk out of it I am going to assume she hit that curb pretty fucking hard.

lilmira
10-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Blame men for building strong curb to oppress women who can't drive good.

killramos
10-22-2020, 02:11 PM
Blame men for building strong curb to oppress women who can't drive good.

Did you just assume a MAN built that curb?!??!

*TRIGGERED*

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2020, 02:12 PM
I'd imagine having the brakes locked up would contribute to that damage a little. If the tire is able to roll it might have a chance at bouncing off the curb and staying straight.

Good to know. If crash is unavoidable, feet off the brakes and hard on the accelerator.

lilmira
10-22-2020, 02:14 PM
I'm Trudeau sorry. It's a strong non-binary curb.

Disoblige
10-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Did you just assume a MAN built that curb?!??!

*TRIGGERED*
Relax, a people-person oompa loompa mixed the concrete for that curb. All's good.

jutes
10-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Armada? lol

Can’t say I have ever heard of someone recommending one of those before.

Essentially a Titan with a SUV body, made in Japan - 2017+ anyway, shit tone of room and towing power. Cheaper version of the QX80 with just as horrific gas mileage, but don't really care about that. No bad reviews online.

killramos
10-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Relax, a people-person oompa loompa mixed the concrete for that curb. All's good.

I just want to make sure that the treaty annexation of the land that the concrete curb block was installed on was acknowledged and that an adequate consultation of indigenous knowledge and subsequent consent was obtained prior to project approval.

Disoblige
10-22-2020, 02:36 PM
I just want to make sure that the treaty annexation of the land that the concrete curb block was installed on was acknowledged and that an adequate consultation of indigenous knowledge and subsequent consent was obtained prior to project approval.
It wasn't.

SKR
10-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Good to know. If crash is unavoidable, feet off the brakes and hard on the accelerator.

I have done that once. I was headed for the ditch no matter what, but I still had a chance to decide how it was going to go. Throttle on the floor until it was more or less pointed straight, and then clutch in to keep it from stalling.

Foot off the brake keeps tires on the bead. That's a free tip from the How To Crash Like SKR Handbook.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2020, 03:38 PM
I've crashed wrong a couple time, and right a couple time. Haven't decided how I want to do it next time, there are very fine people on both sides.

Xtrema
10-22-2020, 03:43 PM

https://youtu.be/OkwRId6977w

The kids call them SUVWs.

syscal
10-22-2020, 05:41 PM

I suspect this is the case. The other side of the sidewalk has one of those 4x6 w/wire fences, so thoughts of easing off the brake would be an afterthought I’m sure.

At least it was a learning moment for one of my daughters, currently with a learner’s license. I told her to straighten the wheels if she’s going to hit a curb, but I’ll add in the no-brakes bit now as well. With the same caveat of making sure riding up the sidewalk doesn’t kill someone, or cause too much body damage. I’d imagine the repair on the hit in the photo would be less than a repair of body damage from that fence.

ThePenIsMightier
10-23-2020, 07:57 AM
Checks to see if tires are Continental.
Sees tires are Continental.

I think it's what AndyL said.