PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Flu Shots thread

ExtraSlow
10-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Mods, feel free to move this to the coronavirus sub-forum if that's more appropriate . . .

Little different getting flu shots in Alberta this year. No mass clinics unless your family has a kid under 5, or you are a health care worker. Pharmacies seem to the primary method, although based on the crowd of blue-hairs at my local one, I'd like to avoid that. Called the family doctor and receptionist say that clinic isn't doing anyone under 10 years of age. So need to send my youngest to the public health clinic or a pharmacy I suppose.

We always get our flu shots, so our desire to get them is no different than other years, although I'm guessing demand is higher this year. Or I'm hoping it is.
What a year.

SKR
10-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Is Flumist an option rather than a needle for the kids? Might be worth looking into.

I got mine done at my local pharmacist since I was there for another needle anyway. Fuck all to it, in and out like a fiddler's elbow.

sabad66
10-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Skipped it last year but figured it's smart to get it this year just to help narrow it down if we do get sick.

Wife and daughter got it yesterday, son and me booked for next Tuesday. Kids are under 5 so luckily was able to use the AHS booking system.

killramos
10-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Got mine on Tuesday. This years made my arm ache like a bitch.

We brought someone in to run a private flu clinic for the company.

The_Penguin
10-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Got mine on Tuesday. This years made my arm ache like a bitch.

We brought someone in to run a private flu clinic for the company.

Same, got ours on Monday. Didn't feel a thing when she did it, hurt for quite a while a few minutes later.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2020, 02:19 PM
Got mine the first day it was available. My office is doing it but not for another week.

Shoppers has a tent set up in the mall downtown and wait times appear very short every time I've walked by.

Both my GF and I commented that our arms didn't ache nearly as long as they usually do, not sure if that's to do with the nurse or the shot itself though.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2020, 03:40 PM
Is Flumist an option rather than a needle for the kids? Might be worth looking into.Some years they have that, some years they don't. It's a nice option when they have it available.

nzwasp
10-22-2020, 03:41 PM
Just got it done at the aspen shoppers. My daughter was screaming so loud im sure everyone in and out of the store heard her.

Tik-Tok
10-22-2020, 04:33 PM
Had mine, and my daughters at Shoppers on Monday. Was quiet and efficient. They spaced the appointments far enough apart that there's no line.

One of my arm muscles has been randomly twitching since though. Never had that happen before.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2020, 04:34 PM
One of my arm muscles has been randomly twitching since though. Never had that happen before.

That's just the Autism from the shot.

The_Rural_Juror
10-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Just got it done at the aspen shoppers. My daughter was screaming so loud im sure everyone in and out of the store heard her.

I thought you screamed louder tbh.

Kudos for getting your shot in a nice area. I hear they use recycled poop needles at other places.

dirtsniffer
10-23-2020, 09:56 AM
going to get the shot as soon as I am over this chest cold. Fuck.

eglove
10-23-2020, 10:07 AM
Got mine on monday, compared to other years holy fuck I couldn't use my arm for two fucking days. I've never had that happen in the past

SJW
10-23-2020, 10:30 AM
I got the flu shot on the 19th. The only side effect is that my penis got larger.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2020, 10:32 AM
I got the flu shot on the 19th. The only side effect is that my penis got larger.

Pics or GTFO

The_Rural_Juror
10-23-2020, 10:44 AM

That is why I always ask for the shot on my penis despite the nurse wanting to shoot it in my testicles.

SJW
10-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Pics or GTFO

That's just it. It's hard to take a selfie now and get it all in one shot.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2020, 11:03 AM
#respek

bjstare
10-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Wife and daughter got it yesterday, son and me booked for next Tuesday. Kids are under 5 so luckily was able to use the AHS booking system.

Luckily? You must have a different AHS than I do. It's 100x worse experience than walking into a clinic.

Went this morning, appt booked for 9:30. Showed up a few mins before, and stood in line for ~1h... and the lines weren't really even big. Not to mention we had to listen to every single kid that got the shot scream their head off. Even some of the older ones were way worse than my 2y.o., people are raising a bunch of sissies in the next generation, tell ya what.

Every time I've gotten at a clinic, it's been <10min in and out.

sabad66
10-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Luckily? You must have a different AHS than I do. It's 100x worse experience than walking into a clinic.

Went this morning, appt booked for 9:30. Showed up a few mins before, and stood in line for ~1h... and the lines weren't really even big. Not to mention we had to listen to every single kid that got the shot scream their head off. Even some of the older ones were way worse than my 2y.o., people are raising a bunch of sissies in the next generation, tell ya what.

Every time I've gotten at a clinic, it's been <10min in and out.

Haha fair point, probably going to be a shitshow if it’s anything like the drivein COVID test I did in august.

For this one I booked it at the Brentwood clinic so hopefully they have their shit together and won’t need to wait an hour with a booked appointment.

ThePenIsMightier
10-26-2020, 07:53 PM
I have had nothing but good luck going to the tiny pharmacies that offer it. Fuck Shoppers Douche Cart, fuck Walmart, etc. Think like the ones that barely sell anything, but they're attached/adjacent to a GP's office. Zero lines. Zero bullshit and they are often WAY better with kids who are scared.

shakalaka
10-26-2020, 08:22 PM
Called Walmart this morning and scheduled an appointment for this evening. In and out more or less - except for the extra 30 mins the wife wanted to spend on ‘things we need’.

adam c
10-26-2020, 09:37 PM
Have to do it at AHS since we have an under 2, hopefully it's not a huge wait like I've seen in pictures

Darkane
10-26-2020, 09:47 PM
Have to do it at AHS since we have an under 2, hopefully it's not a huge wait like I've seen in pictures

Went to the sundance flu clinic tonight for an 1830 appt. With waiting 15 min after the shot we left at 1950.

Could have been worse.

adam c
10-26-2020, 09:55 PM
Went to the sundance flu clinic tonight for an 1830 appt. With waiting 15 min after the shot we left at 1950.

Could have been worse.

Not the best but choices are limited, ours is booked for 730pm tomorrow

Darkane
10-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Not the best but choices are limited, ours is booked for 730pm tomorrow

The people who walked in at 1930 were only like 10 min behind us. You’ll be fine.

They mentioned 1530-1600 was slow.

revelations
10-26-2020, 10:13 PM
Had mine, and my daughters at Shoppers on Monday. Was quiet and efficient. They spaced the appointments far enough apart that there's no line.

You can ask for a list of ingredients. I dont think the flu shot is 100% same in all of alberta? (local variations in suppliers, etc.)

ThePenIsMightier
10-26-2020, 10:32 PM
You can ask for a list of ingredients. I dont think the flu shot is 100% same in all of alberta? (local variations in suppliers, etc.)

I don't believe so.

Note to others that you should consider getting school-age kids done on a Friday. The common side effects from the flu shot are symptoms indicating YOU DEF HAVE COVID-19 AND SHALL ISOLATE AND GET A COVID TEST BEFORE BEING ALLOWED BACK IN SCHOOL!1!!!1¡!¡!
They may last 48hr and you don't need them being sent home needlessly.

Nufy
10-26-2020, 10:41 PM
The 4 of us in my family got them this evening at the Co-op in Deer Valley.

In and out in less then 10 minutes.

Xtrema
10-27-2020, 11:45 AM
I don't believe so.

Note to others that you should consider getting school-age kids done on a Friday. The common side effects from the flu shot are symptoms indicating YOU DEF HAVE COVID-19 AND SHALL ISOLATE AND GET A COVID TEST BEFORE BEING ALLOWED BACK IN SCHOOL!1!!!1¡!¡!
They may last 48hr and you don't need them being sent home needlessly.

Scheduled mine on a Friday next week. My old man got his and got all the COVID symptoms for 3 days and can't go anywhere.

ThePenIsMightier
10-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Scheduled mine on a Friday next week. My old man got his and got all the COVID symptoms for 3 days and can't go anywhere.

Yes. It's very important and hardly anyone has recognized the havoc caused by post-immunization symptoms being mistaken for CoVid.

Asian_defender
10-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Got mine has Monday at Beacon Hills Costco. No appointment needed which was nice and the wait was less than 10 mins

D'z Nutz
10-27-2020, 01:31 PM
I got mine on Wednesday at the NE Costco. I hate that Costco but they had the earliest appointment so I took one at 12:20. I showed up at 12:00 thinking I'd walk around before my appointment but nobody was there so I was in and out and on the road before 12:20 haha

Disoblige
10-27-2020, 01:35 PM
I got mine on Wednesday at the NE Costco. I hate that Costco but they had the earliest appointment so I took one at 12:20. I showed up at 12:00 thinking I'd walk around before my appointment but nobody was there so I was in and out and on the road before 12:20 haha
What's so bad about that Costco?

D'z Nutz
10-27-2020, 01:38 PM
What's so bad about that Costco?

The fucking parking lot drives me nuts.

Xtrema
10-27-2020, 01:47 PM
The fucking parking lot drives me nuts.

Always go in/out of 29th St entrance and park close to 29th. Any spots near 32nd St entrance is pure shit show.

killramos
10-27-2020, 01:53 PM
Always go in/out of 29th St entrance and park close to 29th. Any spots near 32nd St entrance is pure shit show.

This is the answer.

Tik-Tok
10-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Stop giving away secrets ffs.

D'z Nutz
10-27-2020, 02:14 PM
Ha, I always enter through the 29th entrance, but it never occurred to me to park along there.

The_Rural_Juror
10-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Stop giving away secrets ffs.

Ha, I always enter through the 29th entrance, but it never occurred to me to park along there.

Look what you did. D'z Nutz is going to grab the last spot now.

SJW
10-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Any truth to the fact that the flu shot turns you gay?

Xtrema
10-27-2020, 03:23 PM

PM me your dick pic and I'll let you know after next Friday.

ExtraSlow
10-27-2020, 04:16 PM

It worked for me!

sabad66
10-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Brentwood AHS wasn't bad at all today for me and my 3 yr old. Appt at 3, showed up at 3:05, done vaccine by 3:15, out the door at 3:30. I will say it did suck hearing all the other kids crying though. Thankfully the nurse we had was great... i distracted my kid with YT Kids and before he knew it, it was done. Kid cried a bit but nothing too unmanageable.

I guess the key with AHS family clinics is to avoid the first week which is always a shitshow it seems.

Strider
10-27-2020, 09:12 PM
Brentwood AHS wasn't bad at all today for me and my 3 yr old. Appt at 3, showed up at 3:05, done vaccine by 3:15, out the door at 3:30. I will say it did suck hearing all the other kids crying though. Thankfully the nurse we had was great... i distracted my kid with YT Kids and before he knew it, it was done. Kid cried a bit but nothing too unmanageable.

I guess the key with AHS family clinics is to avoid the first week which is always a shitshow it seems.

Had our appt at Brentwood at 5:30. Got there at 5:30, spent about 40 minutes in line, 15 minutes for 4 of us to get the shot, then sat around for 15 minutes. Finally out at 6:40.
Long story short, go during office hours.

88CRX
10-27-2020, 09:57 PM
Got ours tonight at Seton shoppers. In and out in 10 minutes.

Arm is fucking sore as shit though! Never had that happen before.

adam c
10-28-2020, 03:32 AM

I echo the sore arm, haven’t had this sore that I can remember keeps waking me up if I move

90_Shelby
10-28-2020, 06:49 AM

I echo the sore arm, haven’t had this sore that I can remember keeps waking me up if I move

Maybe the nurse forgot to give you bandaids? My kid’s owie’s felt all better once they had bandaids on.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2020, 06:50 AM
Arm feels same as every year. Nurse could have been a little careless giving you a deep bruise or something that hurts for a few days.
My kid got a sticker. I did not. So I stole theirs. It was a rad hot wheels.

adam c
10-28-2020, 07:02 AM
Maybe the nurse forgot to give you bandaids? My kid’s owie’s felt all better once they had bandaids on.

That’s 100% it, I got nothing my my 11yo got a standard brown bandaid
https://tenor.com/xbO8.gif

90_Shelby
10-28-2020, 08:16 AM
That’s 100% it, I got nothing my my 11yo got a standard brown bandaid
https://tenor.com/xbO8.gif

I got a band aid that looked like a tattoo. My arm did not hurt, it's science.

Darkane
10-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Hahaha.

The_Rural_Juror
10-28-2020, 10:20 AM
A Flu Shot Might Reduce Coronavirus Infections, Early Research Suggests
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-flu-shot-might-reduce-coronavirus-infections-early-research-suggests/

It might seem far-fetched that a vaccine designed to protect against one infection could protect against others, too. But a growing body of research suggests that this does, in fact, occur through a process called “trained innate immunity.” Vaccines are known to work by stimulating the adaptive immune system, causing the body to make antibodies that can recognize and attack a specific pathogen if it is encountered again. But recent studies suggest that some vaccines also train the body’s faster-acting and less specific innate immune system, improving its ability to fight off many kinds of infections. Vaccines appear to achieve this feat by reprogramming stem cells that give rise to cells involved in this early innate immune response.

shakalaka
10-28-2020, 10:24 AM
My arm had a little localized soreness at the injection spot yesterday (got the injection the evening before), but now it's fine for the most part. So pretty usual I think.

austic
10-28-2020, 10:25 AM
Got mine on Friday. Actually got a reaction this time. Had a migraine that started 6 hours after with some chills etc. lasted 2 days and was fine. Overall sucked but way better than getting the flu. Surprisingly no arm soreness this year but I went and worked out after so alot of movement in the arm probably helped.

There is a great pharmacy in westhills that has been my hidden gem every year. I think I was in and out in under 5 mins.

The_Rural_Juror
10-28-2020, 10:27 AM
I got a headache for a day as my brain assimilated the autism.

sabad66
10-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Also had a headache in the evening after my shot, but I think it’s more the chinook and not the vaccine

ExtraSlow
10-28-2020, 10:41 AM
I got a headache for a day as my brain assimilated the gay.FTFY brother.