PDA

View Full Version : Exterior soffit lighting

Rocket1k78
10-23-2020, 12:18 PM
We normally do the normal strand xmas lights but ive started seeing a couple houses in my area where they have these built in lights which look like its installed into the underside of the roof that has the overhang(my apologies if that makes no sense), anyone have these and know what to expect cost wise approximately? Ive emailed 2 companies but havent heard back yet.

I have a neighbor across who has them and when its not a special occasion he will turn just parts of them on and it looks pretty nice

ExtraSlow
10-23-2020, 12:24 PM
My buddy just bought gemstone. He's happy.

Rocket1k78
10-23-2020, 12:37 PM
Thanks! just sent them a quote request. The pic of the house on the home page where only some lights are on is exactly like my neighbors set up, at first me and my buddy were thinking he cheaped out and spaced them too far apart but then last week he had them all on and in orange and it was very slick. Im probably getting into this at the worst possible time because its cold now and xmas is literally around the corner.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2020, 12:43 PM
Just leave your string lights up year round. Bonus points if they're icicle lights.

ganesh
10-23-2020, 01:08 PM
My buddy just bought gemstone. He's happy.

+1
I went with Gemstones and extremely happy with it.
Here is the Original thread.
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/407897-Out-door-trim-lights?highlight=gemstones

The_Penguin
10-23-2020, 01:13 PM
Thanks! just sent them a quote request. The pic of the house on the home page where only some lights are on is exactly like my neighbors set up,
What part of town? sounds familiar

mr2mike
10-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Quotes seem to be approx 4 CERB cheques.

ExtraSlow
10-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Quotes seem to be approx 4 CERB cheques.

How many if you are working full time and collecting CERB? Lol.

Yeah they are expensive, and I can't see myself springing for it, but damn they look good. I think that original thread had someone who figured out the parts to DIY this, but installation is going to be a hassle.

revelations
10-23-2020, 01:47 PM
https://www.gemstonelights.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/image7-10.jpg

holy crap - this used to be called TACKY, back in the day - is this cool now?

Paul
10-23-2020, 02:20 PM
I’m on my second year with my Gemstone lights, super convenient, lots of presets in the app, use for Xmas and architectural lighting.

bjstare
10-23-2020, 02:28 PM
I think these are awesome, but like most nice things, they aren't cheap.

Will probably be looking to put these on my next house, but won't be in this one much longer and I'm not so charitable that I'd like to put these babies in for the future owner.

B.Spilner
10-23-2020, 02:30 PM
$21/LF is what we were quoted.

Everyone that we talk to that has them, absolutely loves them.

The_Penguin
10-23-2020, 05:37 PM

The software could use some updating (timer has no sunrise/sunset wtf?) but yeah we really like ours.

ganesh
10-23-2020, 05:59 PM
The software could use some updating (timer has no sunrise/sunset wtf?) but yeah we really like ours.

I know I was even hoping may be I can do something with IFTT no such luck so far.

mr2mike
10-23-2020, 06:13 PM

$7K loves them? I love many other things that would return more than $7k when you sell your home.

B.Spilner
10-23-2020, 06:17 PM
$7K loves them? I love many other things that would return more than $7k when you sell your home.

We were quoted 3400 and 3700. 7k would be a home done both front and back.

But yea everyone that I've talked to loves the lights but not the price. If this was our forever home I'd be getting them...

Paul
10-23-2020, 08:45 PM
Mine, posted above, was < $3000 in 2019

Very simple lines tho, no peaks

goldfish168
10-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Check out Mr. Bright Lights on Facebook. They're apparently new to the market only charging $975 so undercutting others by quite a bit. Not sure if they can be dimmed cause they seem a bit too bright.

Paul
10-23-2020, 09:38 PM
Check out Mr. Bright Lights on Facebook. They're apparently new to the market only charging $975 so undercutting others by quite a bit. Not sure if they can be dimmed cause they seem a bit too bright.

There’s also let strips on Amazon for $2.99. What I paid for, and the difference in my mind was, the convenience of a full one-stop quote to install system with a complete suite of custom application options via their in-house support vs everything else that was available and 3rd party outsourced their support.

#shoplocal ?

ExtraSlow
10-23-2020, 09:44 PM
For sure cheaper options out there. Just be sure you are happy with the value.

A properly handy person could totally DIY this kind of install. But it's not a trivial punt of research and work, and the warranty is worth something too.

Paul
10-23-2020, 10:03 PM
For sure. I think it’s a 5 yr warranty, and LED bulbs are rated 20+ yrs - but app support was lifetime.
The two installers (17 yo kids) said they’d been asked to move to California because that’s where Gemstone was expanding to, don’t know how that played out tho.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2020, 10:33 PM
For sure. I think it’s a 5 yr warranty, and LED bulbs are rated 20+ yrs - but app support was lifetime.
The two installers (17 yo kids) said they’d been asked to move to California because that’s where Gemstone was expanding to, don’t know how that played out tho.

Lol. Sounds like two hopeful idiots. Pretty sure they aren't going to get a H-1B as a "soffit light installer"

Rocket1k78
10-27-2020, 10:43 AM
I’m on my second year with my Gemstone lights, super convenient, lots of presets in the app, use for Xmas and architectural lighting.
Messaged Gemstone friday but no reply back yet. I fucked up by waiting til now though because this is probably their crazy time

Messaged him too and havent heard back but i think their system doesnt allow you to run just certain lights like pauls first pic, from all his pics it looks like its gotta be the whole strand. Ill wait and see tho. The price is really good but you dont want to be running the whole set up all year, during the non holiday times the partial lights looks really classy imo

B.Spilner
10-27-2020, 11:06 AM
^^^ The pot light look is a must for year round.

Masked Bandit
10-27-2020, 11:31 AM
I've messaged the Gemstone guys twice in the last three weeks, can't get a call back / email. I'd spend the money, I guess they have too many customers and no inventory / staff?

roopi
10-27-2020, 11:37 AM
There’s also let strips on Amazon for $2.99. What I paid for, and the difference in my mind was, the convenience of a full one-stop quote to install system with a complete suite of custom application options via their in-house support vs everything else that was available and 3rd party outsourced their support.

#shoplocal ?

I've also heard they have taken deposits for work and they aren't meeting timelines. Who takes a deposit for light installation?

Rocket1k78
10-27-2020, 01:07 PM
I dont see anything wrong with taking a deposit as long as you come through though. If my business was booming hard im not going to take any risks on missing out on other installs unless i knew they were for sure. Too easy for people to cancel last minute if they dont have any money down

I've message the Gemstone guys twice in the last three weeks, can't get a call back / email. I'd spend the money, I guess they have too many customers and no inventory / staff?
I was on Mr brights site and his posts are all about how busy he is and him saying he will get back eventually. We're trying to get in at the worst possible time im sure lol Ill let you know as soon as i get something from gem or mr bright but if you havent heard back after 3 weeks im probably not gonna get anything sooner

ganesh
10-27-2020, 01:57 PM
I've messaged the Gemstone guys twice in the last three weeks, can't get a call back / email. I'd spend the money, I guess they have too many customers and no inventory / staff?
I called the guy I dealt with and he said they are busy however they are answering the phones and working on fulfilling the orders. Call their general line -403-450-0083

Masked Bandit
11-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Update time:

Neighbour of mine tried to use Mr. Bright Lights, total shit show. Guy took a deposit and then ghosted him for three weeks. Friend leaves 27th message saying he wants to cancel the job and get his deposit back and all of a sudden Mr. Bright Lights can communicate just fine. Neighbour still cancelled but did get his deposit back.

My story is the other direction. I went with Gemstone and it turns out these guys are way bigger than I thought and I ended up with a quote in my inbox a couple days after my original post in this thread. They came out during the day, took a few pictures of the house and sent me a quote with different options. Once we settled on a few details (where stuff would go) I got the final quote, paid the deposit and install was scheduled for about 1.5 weeks later. I live on a corner so I got the front, side & rear done, first and second storey, not cheap but god damn to they look AWESOME! The installers were a couple of young guys and they busted their asses all day and finished up about two hours after dark. Super polite, really nice kids. For the front face of a regular house would be $1500 - $2000 is my guess but this is EASILY worth the money if you can swing it. We've already had a couple neighbours ask for contact info to get quotes.

Gemstone FTW!

403ep3
03-06-2021, 04:40 PM
I've been following gemstone for quite awhile and finally bit the bullet. Front and back was ~4600 and all around would have been ~7000. Great product so far and install took roughly 6 hours.

Expensive, but love the look it gives the house during any holiday and everyday architectural.

Kobe
03-06-2021, 08:12 PM
My dad did it recently on our place after the hail damage and added stone instead of siding on the bottom.

Looks really nice, I can ask him for a quote with an invoice if needed, but I think he might be pretty busy right now. Edit: Seems his not really interested since there is a lot of re-wiring and has a lot of work now.

Highly recommend the pot lights in the soffit though, we also purchased a dimmer from Amazon for $25

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079775ZZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can have them turn off/off at a set time daily.

https://i.gyazo.com/8d34465b97200e58133a5f66339de1b6.jpg

Basically Remove Soffit.
Wire where you want the lights.
Measure holes for new soffit, cut out (This seems like the worst part)
Add them

Obv sounds easier than said though.