PDA

View Full Version : Quite Tired At Office Desk

zechs
10-28-2020, 01:36 PM
Recently changed roles and am much more office bound these days. Having a hell of a time staying awake at my desk while chipping away at documents and emails all day long (luckily few meetings especially with covid).

Any tips for keeping energy up and staying awake? Normally a tea guy, but switched to coffee a while ago. I've always thought that caffeine really doesn't affect me much though, so it doesn't seem to have made a change. Had a Redbull today, did approximately zip.

I get decent sleep, typically 7 hours (try to get 8, never works). No current health issues. Work out doing cardio three times a week for a hour. Diet is ok, not great. Typically some toast and eggs for breakfast, carb/vegetables/meat for lunch, and then something similar for dinner. I am about 25 pounds overweight, but its slowly coming down.

It is tough to get a stroll in as I am at a plant site. Been doing stretches in the office. Try to take "microbreaks". I listen to podcasts or music while working.

Any suggestions? I read that taking caffeine (like said redbull) directly prior to a nap can really supercharge you, and I'm pretty sure a nap on lunch break isn't going to cause any issues. My typical experience with naps tend to leave me even more tired though.

When I was younger, I distinctly remember my office days required me struggling to stay awake. Figured it was just something I suffered from. Haven't been strictly pinned to a desk for a long time, so never thought anything of it.

Disoblige
10-28-2020, 01:38 PM
Eating makes me sleepy at work, so I never eat. Maybe a snack at most so I don't feel sick on the drive back home.

It works for me.

Xtrema
10-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Standing desk.

vengie
10-28-2020, 01:40 PM
Do what the rest of DT'ers do

BavarianBeast
10-28-2020, 01:41 PM
Cocaine usually keeps me going

ExtraSlow
10-28-2020, 01:41 PM
I really struggle for afternoons. So eating a smaller lunch, and coffee in the afternoon. Careful with what you are listening too as well, because I find some podcasts/music too soothing.
The key for me is vareity. Music for a while, then if I'm sleepy turn the music off. Or vice-versa.
Don't do redbull etc, that shit is designed to make you crash. Black coffee.

Ca_Silvia13
10-28-2020, 01:43 PM
Small lunch and a B12 pill in the afternoons.

Also what does your lunch consist of? Fried food will definitely make you a bit sleepy afterwards.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Staying well hydrated is the best way I find to feel energetic.

taemo
10-28-2020, 01:48 PM
Standing desk.

+1

1pm-3pm is usually my most tired moment, especially when you are full and just sitting in your desk.

standing desk or going for a quick 10-30min walk can be useful to get your blood flow going

flipstah
10-28-2020, 01:58 PM
This + having fruits nearby like an orange or an apple

Staying well hydrated is the best way I find to feel energetic.

ercchry
10-28-2020, 02:00 PM
Cocaine usually keeps me going

Cocaine light (TM flipstah ) aka preworkout is pretty solid too.

I’m the same way, where coffee/red bull does fuck all, but preworkout? Yup, just does it. Clear and focused. Way more productive

pheoxs
10-28-2020, 02:04 PM
Hydrate is the biggest thing. I purposefully keep a really small waterbottle at my desk so I have to keep getting up to fill it. Those 2-3 minute micro breaks are also good to get a bit of activity in. (pre-covid, now I try not to go around as much).

Avoid carb heavy meals as well, don't go for a big burger or pasta or whatever for lunch. Healthy eating helps a huge amount. Same with sugar, you'll just crash after.

Also give your eyes mini breaks. Take a minute or two and close your eyes so you aren't just staring at the monitor the whole time.

riander5
10-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Skip breakfast

No carbs at lunch

Work 45 mins, do some light exercise or get fresh air for 5-10 mins (I know you said you're at a plant site, so in whatever way you can)

No one needs carbs to sit around on your ass all day

I don't know how you can actively listen to podcasts and actually achieve any work, unless you are just bean counting or something. It's literally impossible to listen to and absorb a podcast and be engaged in another task

flipstah
10-28-2020, 02:10 PM

I’m the same way, where coffee/red bull does fuck all, but preworkout? Yup, just does it. Clear and focused. Way more productive

Pre-workout is fuckin gold. So good

Clever
10-28-2020, 02:17 PM
I used to get the afternoon slump as well, intermittent fasting helped with that, I drink coffee around 9AM eat lunch around 12:30 or later. Give it a try, might work or you as well.

msommers
10-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Matcha has been a game-changer for me, particularly in the afternoon -- I just don't get the caffeine crash that I used to with coffee. Also feel less achy because apparently I'm old AF now. Pros and cons, I just love good coffee so damn much!

Changing your sit/stand position, and getting up to stretch is helpful (and you should do it regardless).

SJW
10-28-2020, 02:29 PM
I find it hard to give a fuck after 2:30 pm.

zechs
10-28-2020, 02:34 PM
I don't know how you can actively listen to podcasts and actually achieve any work, unless you are just bean counting or something. It's literally impossible to listen to and absorb a podcast and be engaged in another task

College and University trained me I suppose. Its not like I'm sitting here doing stock trading or some whiz bang engg calcs. Just boring old paper pushing right now :whipped: At the same time, not technical podcasts either. Mainly just nerd stuff.

Some really good suggestions here.

Any suggestions on this pre-workout (I'm assuming this is supplements normally intended for going to the gym)?

I'm really considering a standing desk, might need to rig something up myself, but I don't think there will be a problem.

I will give cutting out the carbs a try. For a while, I went to a strictly meat with small portions of vegetables diet, felt wonderful.

Good call on the water bottle. Guess I'll need to switch out for something smaller. I usually go big with the water bottles as if its not right there, I forget to drink it. Part and parcel with going to the water cooler I suppose.

Kloubek
10-28-2020, 02:34 PM
This + having fruits nearby like an orange or an apple

I don't know the validity of this information, but I have heard that the actual scent of citrus fruits has an awakening effect.

Probably just internet wives tales, but figured I'd mention it.

Xtrema
10-28-2020, 02:40 PM
I'm really considering a standing desk, might need to rig something up myself, but I don't think there will be a problem.

https://www.amazon.ca/Standing-Converter-Removable-Keybroad-SD315001WB/dp/B0863BH5CL/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=standing+desk&qid=1603917431&sr=8-9

This is quite a hassle free way to turn whatever furniture you employer gives you into a standing desk.

Clear with them 1st tho, some companies have quite nasty furniture politics (the if you get one and everyone else would want one argument)

taemo
10-28-2020, 02:49 PM

line or shake?

I don't know the validity of this information, but I have heard that the actual scent of citrus fruits has an awakening effect.

Probably just internet wives tales, but figured I'd mention it.

could it also be the sugar in the fruits that wakes you up?

Lex350
10-28-2020, 03:13 PM
If you can, change your posture during the day. You should be moving at least once an hour. Go for a stroll if you have too.

SKR
10-28-2020, 03:28 PM
Go get your testosterone checked. Mine was under the low end of the scale. I've been on it for a year now and it's made a bigger change on my ability to get through a day than anything else I've ever done.

ercchry
10-28-2020, 03:59 PM
line or shake?

Oh god, I don’t think I’d be able to... flashbacks to childhood when that one idiot friend told everyone they just HAD to try snorting a pixie stick :rofl:

...I should try a shake, this shit does not mix well with water:

I know nothing about the options, grabbed this to help drive to the lake this summer. Just what they had a Safeway. Worked well, best antihistamine ever too :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Ephedrine is awesome.

Maxx Mazda
10-28-2020, 07:04 PM
You’re bored. So your brain shuts off.

Try to find a more exciting job, or if that’s not possible, look for ways to spice yours up.

Or just rip a bathroom line or two.

tonytiger55
10-28-2020, 07:12 PM
I had a similar issue when I worked in London.
I personally don't eat heavy carbs at work now, that shuts me down. Instead I keep a tray of vegetables to nibble on. Make sure you drink lots of water.
I tend to dip around 2pm. So I make a effort to stop and have afternoon tea. That gives a mini perk.
Other than that, get some bloodwork just to check your levels.

SingleBarrel
03-02-2021, 07:16 AM
Standing desk.

I second a Standing Desk. You can alternate between sitting and standing - 30mins/30mins.
You'll pick up a reall good one for about 100 bucks. One that sits on your regular desk, like a convertor.

:)

Neil4Speed
03-03-2021, 10:27 AM
A few years back, there was a thread on Beyond about the benefits of taking Vitamin D3. I ended up buying a few bottles of D3 5000iu from iherb and was taking it. Didn't really notice the difference that everyone mentioned. Fast forward a few years, and the last few weeks I was feeling really a mess... just bad mood, lethargic, unable to focus. It was about a month of this and I was about to make the doctors appointment at which point I thought I would dabble in the old medicine cabinet to see what might help. I ended up taking a single d3, and sure enough, within hours - back to normal (or even better than normal). So far so good, and its been a few weeks now.

Pretty grateful, wondering if that might help some others on here.

ExtraSlow
03-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Frankly, we should all be taking it.

Maxx Mazda
03-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Frankly, we should all be taking it.

Just go to a tanning salon instead.

ExtraSlow
03-03-2021, 02:45 PM
That's an option I guess. Not sure it's any better

bjstare
03-03-2021, 03:34 PM
Just go to a tanning salon instead.

JohnnyHockey13
04-05-2021, 04:23 PM
Haven't been back to the office in over a year now, WFH, I've gotten so much more sleep but if I feel sleepy, I just go for a cat nap and no one would laugh. Believe it or not, in my 20s I worked in this office that had a library, I'd go there and take power naps and it worked awesome but some people would point fingers and accuse me of being lazy.

Anyways, that was before I learned to get up and take walks on my breaks to get the blood flowing.....the key thing I learned is that it's like thirst, if you wait until you actually are sleepy, then it's too late, you need to do it before you get to that point so I would recommend going for a quick walk to get the blood flowing BEFORE you actually get sleepy.

legendboy
04-05-2021, 07:29 PM
You’re bored. So your brain shuts off.

Try to find a more exciting job, or if that’s not possible, look for ways to spice yours up.

Or just rip a bathroom line or two.

How can we afford a line or two when we have all taken pay cuts! I say meth. I feel lucky that half my days are spent in meeting teams or boardroom

I share an office with our operations manager, he uses his stand up desk half the day at least and he is 11 years older than myself. He still bitches and complains tho heh

killramos
04-05-2021, 07:58 PM
Haven't been back to the office in over a year now, WFH, I've gotten so much more sleep but if I feel sleepy, I just go for a cat nap and no one would laugh. Believe it or not, in my 20s I worked in this office that had a library, I'd go there and take power naps and it worked awesome but some people would point fingers and accuse me of being lazy.

Anyways, that was before I learned to get up and take walks on my breaks to get the blood flowing.....the key thing I learned is that it's like thirst, if you wait until you actually are sleepy, then it's too late, you need to do it before you get to that point so I would recommend going for a quick walk to get the blood flowing BEFORE you actually get sleepy.

Never thought I would see the day where I would have to point out the benefits of cocaine to Johnny Hockey...

ExtraSlow
04-05-2021, 08:00 PM

riander5
04-05-2021, 08:41 PM
Whatever happened to OP, is he less sleepy?!?

If none of the advice worked yet just do what kids on my construction crews did during summers between school - Rockstars and doritos all day long

Disclaimer: he eventually passed out one day and was treated for malnutrition

nissanK
04-07-2021, 01:16 PM
On a slightly related note......

Are there any programs or grants that can be applied for to receive funding during the year? Basically re-embursing a major WFH expense, such as a sit/stand desk, without waiting to claim it on the 2021 tax year?

I'm already engaging my employer on the options (they are based in Quebec) but I might just bite the bullet myself and claim it next year.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2021, 01:21 PM
On a slightly related note......

Are there any programs or grants that can be applied for to receive funding during the year? Basically re-embursing a major WFH expense, such as a sit/stand desk, without waiting to claim it on the 2021 tax year?

I'm already engaging my employer on the options (they are based in Quebec) but I might just bite the bullet myself and claim it next year.

YOu can't claim that on your taxes:

Non-eligible Expenses
You cannot claim any of the following:
• capital cost allowance
• mortgage interest
• principal mortgage payments
• capital expenses (replacing windows, flooring, furnace, etc.)
• office equipment (printer, fax machine, briefcase, laptop case
or bag, calculator, etc.)
• monthly basic rate for a landline telephone
• cell phone connection or license fees
• purchase of a cell phone, computer, laptop, tablet, fax
machine, etc.
• computer accessories (monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset,
microphone, speakers, webcam, router, etc.)
• other electronics (television, smart speaker, voice assistant, etc.)
• furniture (desk, chair, etc.)

nissanK
04-07-2021, 01:33 PM
YOu can't claim that on your taxes:

Sorry I didn't clarify.

I work from home as part of my position, it's not due to COVID as per the form you mentioned. I get a T2200 form from my employer.

ThePenIsMightier
04-07-2021, 01:48 PM
Never thought I would see the day where I would have to point out the benefits of cocaine to Johnny Hockey...

I ded.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to killramos again.

killramos
04-07-2021, 01:53 PM
I ded.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to killramos again.

Rep, Cocaine. It’s all the same to me.

ExtraSlow
04-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Sorry I didn't clarify.

I work from home as part of my position, it's not due to COVID as per the form you mentioned. I get a T2200 form from my employer.

I thought the things you could write off were the same? Although I admit I haven't looked that hard into it in non-covid related terms.