PDA

View Full Version : 2020/21 Ski/Snowboard Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

sxtasy
10-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Looks like this is going to be a historically early opening for many mountains in AB and BC. I see Norquay is already open, Lake Louise is opening tomorrow! Anyone planning on riding these mountains soon? Would be interested in sharing what the conditions look like at different resorts. I normally ride mountains around the Okanagan, but was thinking about heading to Banff area early November.

Brent.ff
10-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Based on what temps are gonna do this weekend, Norquay mighta gotten the headlines to open early but can’t imagine much good skiing is coming unless we get a big drop in temp and wet weather

sxtasy
10-28-2020, 09:29 PM
yeah, kind of expecting it to be only a few main groomer runs open this early. But will still be nice to have a longer season, I think forecasters are expecting a better than average snow season this year.

D'z Nutz
10-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I can't wait to get out there. I had a free day on my Super Saver card at Sunshine and it closed down the day I planned to go up. I emailed them shortly after and they said they'd extend the free day until the end of the calendar year for me.

I read in the news during the spring/summer that some resorts were thinking of having discounts for locals to encourage them to go out cause they're not getting the international customers they're used to having. Hopefully that's still in consideration.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2020, 06:58 AM
If your schedule is flexible rhe norquay95 pass is great value.

lasimmon
10-29-2020, 08:29 AM
I usually don't get out till later in December as there is no value IMO. Still decided against a pass this year, but will likely ski a little more than usual due to the Covid.

Hoping for a fantastic year snow wise.

cet
10-29-2020, 08:59 AM
I may try to get out to Nakiska in November. I went with a Nakiska pass and Mountain Collective pass this year. Have a few trips planned to get to the BC resorts so hopefully nothing changes and I can still get to them.

EM2FTL
10-29-2020, 09:13 AM
I may try to get out to Nakiska in November. I went with a Nakiska pass and Mountain Collective pass this year. Have a few trips planned to get to the BC resorts so hopefully nothing changes and I can still get to them.

You just missed the boat on the early bid MC pass, it's up to $589US now, still not a bad deal though.

asp integra
10-29-2020, 09:16 AM
I read in the news during the spring/summer that some resorts were thinking of having discounts for locals to encourage them to go out cause they're not getting the international customers they're used to having. Hopefully that's still in consideration.

A lot of the Cat ski operations are doing the same thing, 15-30% off days. Still super expensive but its a better to pay $750/day for peak season cat skiing than $1,000.

I can't wait to get out this year, I didn't ski once last year which is hard for me to fathom. Had a big Panorama trip planned for the weekend everything shut down and lots of spring skiing plans that didn't go.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-29-2020, 09:19 AM
I only got two days last year, least amount since I was a child. I am hoping for a much better season this year.

Brent.ff
10-29-2020, 09:29 AM
It's gonna be a gnarly year in the backcountry based on the number of feebs out in the mountains this summer. Guys already bootpacking up highwood pass with zero for avvy gear..

lasimmon
10-29-2020, 09:44 AM
A lot of the Cat ski operations are doing the same thing, 15-30% off days. Still super expensive but its a better to pay $750/day for peak season cat skiing than $1,000.

I can't wait to get out this year, I didn't ski once last year which is hard for me to fathom. Had a big Panorama trip planned for the weekend everything shut down and lots of spring skiing plans that didn't go.

I booked 25% off Heli-skiing this year... Might as well knock off a bucket list item and save some money.

bigboom
10-29-2020, 09:54 AM
It's gonna be a gnarly year in the backcountry based on the number of feebs out in the mountains this summer. Guys already bootpacking up highwood pass with zero for avvy gear..

Not to mention all the dangerous uptracks that these idiots are setting. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable in the backcountry when people are going to be setting these lines above where I might be below them, this one was from the Highwood last weekend.

D'z Nutz
10-29-2020, 09:55 AM

I booked 25% off Heli-skiing this year... Might as well knock off a bucket list item and save some money.

Nice. Post more deals if you see them, guys.

We're talking about maybe doing Fernie over Christmas/New Years. Any recommendations on places to stay?

Brent.ff
10-29-2020, 10:09 AM
Not to mention all the dangerous uptracks that these idiots are setting. Doesn't make me feel very comfortable in the backcountry when people are going to be setting these lines above where I might be below them, this one was from the Highwood last weekend.

Ya i saw that on Backcountry YYC, definitely a lesson in how not to set an uptrack. Particularly love the super tight kick turns as they're going right up the gut of the avvy path. The year of early starts to get ahead of bozos

BavarianBeast
10-29-2020, 10:25 AM
Purchased all new gear and season pass for big white this year. Cheap early bird passes this year at $750 with no restrictions. Stoked to get shredding again after that epic season last year was cut short.

For Fernie, I would stay at lizard creek or find a nice Airbnb on the hill. Keep in mind there aren’t many dining options(3 I think) without going into town.

pheoxs
10-29-2020, 10:27 AM
I wanna get out to Revy again this year but I don't think anyone I know will be up for a road trip. Is there any shuttles or solo trip options out there? I know backside does tours but those tend to be heavy on the party side of things.

D'z Nutz
10-29-2020, 10:34 AM
For Fernie, I would stay at lizard creek or find a nice Airbnb on the hill. Keep in mind there aren’t many dining options(3 I think) without going into town.

Thanks. We actually like the idea of doing a grocery run and making dinners for most of our trip so that won't be that big of a deal. Good to know though.

cet
10-29-2020, 11:24 AM
You just missed the boat on the early bid MC pass, it's up to $589US now, still not a bad deal though.

I got the MC pass about a month ago when they released the at par pricing. I think I paid $490 CAD

dimi
10-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Its going to be an interesting year.

First thing, I hope the border remains closed. From a resort covid perspective, a lot of it will come down to lift layout ie, SV will be great as long as you get there super early and clear the gondola, whereas KH is going to be a bottleneck all day. I think the BC resorts like Revy, Red, Kimbo will be great given that a big chunk of their clientele is from the US and they are less likely to see heavy traffic from AB.

From a backcountry perspective, its going to be wild. I anticipate a lot more incidents and close calls, and you're already seeing it. I recall doing Highwood pass about 5 years ago after a big dump and there was probably 10-15 of us there, nowadays it looks like a ski resort. I think the key will be to get out super early, and go in past the beginner zones.

I'm definitely doing SV, LL, and hopefully put together a few Revy trips. Backcountry, definitely doing a few trips to Rogers pass, and hopefully Terrace.

If anyone wants to tour, PM. Seems most of my partners had kids, lost jobs, moved away, or blew their acls last year.

Rocket1k78
10-29-2020, 01:17 PM
Sounds like this could be a very busy year at the hills.

pheoxs
10-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Sounds like this could be a very busy year at the hills.

I'm kinda nervous about it tbh. Camping season was already fucked from everyone deciding to get out of the city. Ski-lifts, especially if they try to reduce lift capacity are going to be a nightmare.

Gonna have to try and do weekday trips I guess.

BavarianBeast
10-29-2020, 03:20 PM
I'm definitely doing SV, LL, and hopefully put together a few Revy trips. Backcountry, definitely doing a few trips to Rogers pass, and hopefully Terrace.

If anyone wants to tour, PM. Seems most of my partners had kids, lost jobs, moved away, or blew their acls last year.

My wife and I will be shredding lots between Big white, Silverstar and Sun Peaks this winter! Send me a message if your ever in the area.

From spending the bulk of the summer in bike parks, I’m not too concerned about the lines that much. There were only a couple of occasions in Whistler and Silverstar on the weekend where the wait was over 45 min. I know it’s not a fair comparison as there are a lot more skier/snowboarders than MTBers. However, I think the resorts will find a way to monitor volume and limit sales to keep the lifts unplugged. I guess time will tell.

lasimmon
10-30-2020, 08:39 AM
I'll probably try and stick to weekday skiing this year at resorts. Its going to be ridiculous.

ExtraSlow
10-30-2020, 08:50 AM
Norquay midweek pass is great deal if you like that hill, which I do.

lasimmon
10-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Norquay midweek pass is great deal if you like that hill, which I do.

I'm more of a powder chaser. Castle/Norquay/Sunshine/Lake Louise/Kickinghorse are all within day trip distance for me.

ExtraSlow
10-30-2020, 09:02 AM
Yeah, a few days a year norquay has pretty worthwhile powder, but the rest of the time it's basically groomer city. I hardly ski any more and I'm out of shape, so groomers are kinda my jam these days. I used to be a sunshine hound, but then again, that was back in the university days when my skis ever left my car and I had an alarm to dial the snowphone early enough to get first tracks. Ah those were the days.

cam_wmh
10-30-2020, 11:10 PM
Got a season pass (Big3) for first time in 10 years. Usually it's Discount Cards/MC, and Japan/USA trip. With a consideration to potential visit caps, (Norquay did opening weekend), I want to ensure I'm able to go.

Norquay opening day; did a half dozen runs, with some boot deep fun pow.
Louise yesterday, opening day, was similar. Just Glacier QUad, and the Gondola open. I'm not going this weekend, as I imagine it's going to be a shit show, and let the resort sort out how it's going to manage the larger volumes. For lunch, LoTP had 1/2 as many tables, and introduced QR codes onto each table. They had bussers, bringing orders.
As the lodge, during COVID is intended to be for food/drink ONLY, I hope they kick-out the soccer moms/dads, who take up whole tables with their Harlequin books, and kids day lunches.

g-m
11-05-2020, 11:59 AM
Got my Fernie/KH pass as usual and we've got sleds now this year for sled skiing if it's too busy at the resort. Expecting an excellent year

13TTFX4
11-05-2020, 03:22 PM
Got my Fernie/KH pass as usual and we've got sleds now this year for sled skiing if it's too busy at the resort. Expecting an excellent year

You might find after the first few times sled skiing you just leave the ski's at home. I grew up sledding and stopped for hockey and skiing for close to 10 yrs. when i got back in to it used to go skiing 50% of the time and sled 50% and now its 95% sledding and the odd ski day.

Brent.ff
11-05-2020, 03:29 PM
You might find after the first few times sled skiing you just leave the ski's at home. I grew up sledding and stopped for hockey and skiing for close to 10 yrs. when i got back in to it used to go skiing 50% of the time and sled 50% and now its 95% sledding and the odd ski day.

and get AST if you don't already.. sledders tend to die in a greater number then skiers

lasimmon
11-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Yah I didn't know people still sled skied. Haven't heard of that in years.

13TTFX4
11-05-2020, 04:43 PM
and get AST if you don't already.. sledders tend to die in a greater number then skiers

Agree at minimum AST 1 should be required for anyone spending time in the backcountry in the winter. As well make sure you have good safety gear and that you are doing regular checks to ensure everything still functions as normal.

sxtasy
11-12-2020, 10:04 PM
Just got my new board today. Really want to go on a trip early December, where do you guys think some of the best areas are to hit up this early in the season?95312

danno
11-15-2020, 11:07 PM
How are the lineup at sunshine this year??

g-m
11-15-2020, 11:59 PM
I've got AST 2 and hundreds of BC days. I doubt I'll get hooked on sledding, I like skiing not digging... And the weightless feeling, hitting cliffs, the fluidity of ripping trees, chutes, and all the good stuff. I just see sledding as getting to the alpine meadow where I'll do touring laps from there. Basic transportation but we'll see if course

madtor1
11-23-2020, 10:44 PM
What is the general consensus on buying Costco ski lift tickets (https://dealshub.ca/d/6-albertabc-costco-ski-lift-tickets-2020-2021)
vs buying Sunshine Super Card or Lake Louise plus card

If you are going to be skiing 3 to 4 times a season?

eblend
11-23-2020, 10:56 PM
What is the general consensus on buying Costco ski lift tickets (https://dealshub.ca/d/6-albertabc-costco-ski-lift-tickets-2020-2021)
vs buying Sunshine Super Card or Lake Louise plus card

If you are going to be skiing 3 to 4 times a season?

I usually buy the card, but this year didn't bother. I bought the Louise card this year, haven't used yet, but it was $199 for 2 lift tickets. Good think about the Plus card for example, is that you can always offload it and get some money back. I have bought it most years and only go out a few times, max 4, but always able to offload it for $40-$50 when I am done as there is still a free day left and the general discount. Last year sold both our cards for $80 total, and the guy used them like 5 times after, getting 2 free days, so for him was a great deal. If you go often think the card makes sense, but I don't think I will go all that much this year, especially with COVID, so I just decided to get the passes.

madtor1
11-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Do you know if you can you get a refund for the costco tickets if they close down the ski hills?

sxtasy
11-24-2020, 06:23 PM
Went to Big White today. Snow is decent, no lift lines, but dayum the fog, hard to see the terrain right in front of you.

e31
11-24-2020, 07:01 PM
How are the lineup at sunshine this year??

Looks like a total shitshow at Sunshine. Louise adjusted their webcams to avoid showing the long lineups.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/restrictions-in-place-at-banff-alta-ski-resort-after-massive-lineups-caught-on-video-1.5200113

sxtasy
11-24-2020, 07:18 PM
Looks like covid cases are spiking in Banff, wonder if this will affect the season?

https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status/1331395712723116034?s=20

lasimmon
11-24-2020, 09:08 PM
Looks like a total shitshow at Sunshine. Louise adjusted their webcams to avoid showing the long lineups.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/restrictions-in-place-at-banff-alta-ski-resort-after-massive-lineups-caught-on-video-1.5200113

Yah sunshine annouced this week they are not allowing parking on their access road to try and limit.

mzdspd
11-24-2020, 09:13 PM
Skiing at sun peaks has been amazing this year! Ski hill opened Saturday and was quite busy but the last few days have been quiet. 10 cm of snow coming tonight, skiing should be great tomorrow morning.

Rocket1k78
11-25-2020, 11:33 AM

Sunshine was a total shit show this past saturday, the lines snaked down every row of the parking lot. You basically had to line up the moment you got out of your ride just to get onto the main road line up which went all the way back. There was a news thing on it and the reporter or sunshine staff actually said it wasnt as bad as it looked lol
Just checked the louise cams and :rofl: Smart on their part but you know its going to be a nasty problem if they went to that extent. Cousin was at louise saturday and it took him an hour and a half to get on the first gondola.

D'z Nutz
11-26-2020, 10:47 AM
I'm probably gonna save all my Sunshine visits for midweek anyways. Only 16 more work days left in the year and I have 29 vacation days remaining so I should probably work on burning a few off haha

pheoxs
11-26-2020, 10:49 AM
Sunshine was a total shit show this past saturday, the lines snaked down every row of the parking lot. You basically had to line up the moment you got out of your ride just to get onto the main road line up which went all the way back. There was a news thing on it and the reporter or sunshine staff actually said it wasnt as bad as it looked lol
Just checked the louise cams and :rofl: Smart on their part but you know its going to be a nasty problem if they went to that extent. Cousin was at louise saturday and it took him an hour and a half to get on the first gondola.

Do you know how the lines were once you were up the gondola? If its just a rough first line then normal ish on the ski lifts then that's not the worst.

D'z Nutz
11-26-2020, 11:05 AM
If any of you still have last year's Sunshine Super Card:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Banff Sunshine Village!

Please see below for our upcoming season credit policy.

2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes:

Did not have a chance to use your pass?

All unused 2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes can be upgraded for a complimentary 2020/21 Sunshine Super Card all season long.

Were you due for your 4th or 7th day free?

All 3 or 6 times used 2019/20 Sunshine Super Cards and Direct to Lift Passes can be exchanged for one complimentary lift ticket up until and valid to December 24th, 2020.

We will be able to do this exchange at our Calgary office or Guest Services on mountain.

Gonna head up there Monday for one last day before my Discovery Park Pass expires. Free snowboard day!

dimi
11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
For SSV, get there really early, clear the gondola and then the lines are relatively normal. Also, pack a lunch and water, because getting to the lodge is a long wait. The days of a warmup lunch + beers are done.

cet
11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
Thanks for posting that. I think I went 6 times on my card last year so should be able to get the 7th day ticket for this year.

ExtraSlow
11-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Yes, back in the day when I used to ski sunshine, you want to be parking at 8:15, put a granola bar in your pocket and ski until around 1:30 or 2:00 when people are finishing up lunch, then you can either eat your lunch, or just head down and get your lunch in canmore or something.

D'z Nutz
11-26-2020, 11:22 AM
For SSV, get there really early, clear the gondola and then the lines are relatively normal. Also, pack a lunch and water, because getting to the lodge is a long wait. The days of a warmup lunch + beers are done.

Can still use the lodge if you're packing your own food? Earlier in the summer, the news was saying some of the resorts were thinking about only letting people use the lodges if they were buying food and anyone packing a lunch would have to go eat outside but they would set up tents for people.

Thanks for posting that. I think I went 6 times on my card last year so should be able to get the 7th day ticket for this year.

Sunshine shut down literally the day before I was planning to use my 4th visit freebie in March so I emailed them the next day and she said she'd extend it to the end of the calendar year. I like that they expanded that to include unused cards too.

FYI, MEC has this promo for Black Friday:
https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/black-friday-spend-and-get-terms-and-conditions

Not sure if it applies to Discovery Cards, but I'm gonna give it a try and see if I get the discount.

dimi
11-26-2020, 11:36 AM
Not sure actually, the lineup was long and just not worth it IMO. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to be inside with another 200 people anyway. It's going to be interesting on the colder days though...

Rocket1k78
11-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Can still use the lodge if you're packing your own food?
Someone was telling me that some resorts are not allowing your own food in the lodge anymore. Im sure most resorts will follow this rule if they havent already. Im scared to see what the lodges are going to be like.......

Do you know how the lines were once you were up the gondola? If its just a rough first line then normal ish on the ski lifts then that's not the worst.
No i wasnt there, i saw it on the news. Rough first line is putting this nicely lol https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/restrictions-in-place-at-banff-alta-ski-resort-after-massive-lineups-caught-on-video-1.5200113. I would bet the line ups on the chairs to be bad too

taemo
11-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Yes, back in the day when I used to ski sunshine, you want to be parking at 8:15, put a granola bar in your pocket and ski until around 1:30 or 2:00 when people are finishing up lunch, then you can either eat your lunch, or just head down and get your lunch in canmore or something.

this, usually I like to go first thing in the morning and usually I'm done/bored by noon-1pm.

taking the first 2 Tuesday off in December so I'm hoping to hit Sunshine and Lake Louise.

I only went once last season, so twice this season will be an improvement haha, might ski too since my brother in law is overseas right now so I can finally use my skis again.

dimi
11-26-2020, 11:43 AM
I love Whistler and BC in general: "We're opening up today, please send us your money for a season pass, but we don't want you here, especially if you're bringing your own lunch"

eblend
11-26-2020, 12:00 PM
Do you know if you can you get a refund for the costco tickets if they close down the ski hills?

Word on the street (google) is yes. I looked this up myself.

R-Audi
11-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Not sure if this is the proper place.. but ah well.

Looking at a new jacket (shell). Seeing that I am strictly a resort guy, would I notice a difference between 2L and 3L goretex shells? And is it worth an extra $150-200 for the 3L? Currently looking at a few different Burton/Ak, 686 and Volcom jackets in the $3-500 range (which most are currently on sale)

kertejud2
11-26-2020, 03:00 PM
Not sure if this is the proper place.. but ah well.

Looking at a new jacket (shell). Seeing that I am strictly a resort guy, would I notice a difference between 2L and 3L goretex shells? And is it worth an extra $150-200 for the 3L? Currently looking at a few different Burton/Ak, 686 and Volcom jackets in the $3-500 range (which most are currently on sale)

For a hard shell I'd usually say it's 3L or bust.

But for the people who actually want to weigh the value of what you're actually getting by spending the extra money, unless it's Revy or Whistler or other resorts where it can get wet and unpleasant and have big temperature fluctuations I don't think you'd notice the difference.

For a shell, Goretex 2L is really their '2.5L.' Only insulated jackets can have 2L (or it's Goretex Paclite which is shit, but also more of a rain shell thing so not much to worry about). So you're not giving up much. If you sweat a lot and do a lot of slackcountry stuff at resorts, I'd push you back to the 3L. Otherwise 2L, particularly from the brands mentioned, is more than fine. Use the savings for the aprés-ski.

BavarianBeast
11-26-2020, 04:03 PM
Been loving the snow in big white. Been 4 days since opening!

R-Audi
11-27-2020, 01:18 PM
For a hard shell I'd usually say it's 3L or bust.

Thanks!

Ended up with the 686 GLCR GT GoreTex. Bought from a shop in Penticiton as they had the color I wanted and offered the same sale price as the 686 website. (None of the local shops had the color in stock I wanted... and one silly shop in Kelowna wouldnt match the sale price on the 686 site as the size I wanted wasnt listed in stock. Shortsighted as I bought a bunch of other stuff too.)

sxtasy
11-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Been loving the snow in big white. Been 4 days since opening!

Awesome pic! How often are you getting great days at Big White? I’ve heard some friends say fog days happen quite often and was kinda bummed getting a heavy fog day my first time there.

BavarianBeast
11-29-2020, 03:59 PM
Thanks!

Big white does get a lot of fog, I would say at least 2-3 days a week are foggy. If you know the mountain well, you can usually find pockets at gem lake or Black Forest that aren’t sopped right in. Today was my 6th day up and only 2 have been foggy.

The rest have looked like this!

D'z Nutz
11-30-2020, 07:28 PM
Alright, I went to Sunshine today.

Re: lunches, I packed a lunch and the security guard said they *might* not let me into the lounge with my own lunch but he sounded unsure so assume you can't especially if you're going on a busy day. That said, they do have tents and other buildings set up for people who are bringing their own lunches, just not the lounge. The building with the clock by the gondola is one of them and it's warm enough you could remove your outer layers while you eat. No microwaves available because they're high contact areas. No backpacks allowed in the lounge either, but they are allowed in the tents and buildings where you can eat your packed lunches (there's signs that say they're backpack friendly). There are shelves outside for people to store their backpacks if you don't want to use a day locker.

taemo
11-30-2020, 11:07 PM
good to hear, how crowded where the runs? heard goats eye is still closed, lots of people coming on weekdays too?

D'z Nutz
11-30-2020, 11:26 PM
good to hear, how crowded where the runs? heard goats eye is still closed, lots of people coming on weekdays too?

The runs weren't crowded at all, at least not on a Monday. Yeah Goat's Eye is still closed and a lot of the runs still aren't ready. I think they're at least 2 or 3 weeks away from being fully open. They definitely need more snow.

BavarianBeast
12-05-2020, 05:07 PM
What do you guys find is the best/most accurate weather station or app for snow forecast?

EM2FTL
12-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Spent Friday/Saturday at LL, no lines at all - not sure if that's related to the virus outbreak they reported Friday or the lack of fresh snow. Found some decent lines in some hidden spots though :)

Brent.ff
12-06-2020, 07:31 PM
What do you guys find is the best/most accurate weather station or app for snow forecast?

Use spotwx. By far the best

BavarianBeast
12-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Good to hear you found some good lines at lake Louise. It’s been so warm in Alberta I was wondering what the slopes had been like lately.

Awesome website, thanks for that!

Anyone have experience gambling with early season in Whistler?

Thinking of heading that way but the temps are pretty warm. Never skied there so don’t know if there is a ton of higher elevation terrain to enjoy regardless of temps?

mzdspd
12-06-2020, 08:08 PM
I’d probably wait and see if they announce more travel restrictions for BC tomorrow. They are already telling people not to travel from out of province or between BC health regions.

Sun peaks has been pretty good so far and the entire mountain opened on opening day but all of The interior BC mountains need more snow now as it has been pretty dry for about 2 weeks.

lasimmon
12-06-2020, 11:12 PM
Resorts been brutal I have heard the last while.

Planning to hit big white 2-4 days over Christmas and New Years pending snow quality.

Rocket1k78
12-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Anyone have experience gambling with early season in Whistler?

Thinking of heading that way but the temps are pretty warm. Never skied there so don’t know if there is a ton of higher elevation terrain to enjoy regardless of temps?
Whistler's a gamble any time of the year but early season would be too much of a risk for me, ive gone in January and February and both times only got 1 dry day out of the 5 we were there. You can stay higher up to avoid the wet but by about halfway down it gets clumpy which is the worst thing ever. The saving grace for us though is the village and hot tub but with covid i would imagine the village to be pretty brutal when it comes to wait times. The stores and restaurants are on the smaller side so depending on what they allow for occupancy it could be nasty to try and eat out. BRING WATERPROOF BOOTS/SHOES!

BavarianBeast
12-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Thank. I have been watching the webcams and the rain/warm weather is just wreaking havoc on the mountain right now. Going to save the drive for Jan/Feb. They’re supposed to get over 100mm this week though.

Rocket1k78
12-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Thank. I have been watching the webcams and the rain/warm weather is just wreaking havoc on the mountain right now. Going to save the drive for Jan/Feb. They’re supposed to get over 100mm this week though.
Yeah i checked the webcams after i posted and its looking pretty rough.

e31
12-08-2020, 02:21 AM
Alberta health specifically lists "Lake Louise Ski Area" under the current Covid outbreak cases in the Calgary zone.
Nothing on their website to dissuade people from visiting though.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 07:40 AM
Alberta health specifically lists "Lake Louise Ski Area" under the current Covid outbreak cases in the Calgary zone.
Nothing on their website to dissuade people from visiting though.

Because that's now how that works. There's "outbreaks" at lots of businesses that aren't asked to close. Some "essential" and some not, but there's not any connection between outbreak status and any other action against the business.

JRSC00LUDE
12-08-2020, 01:08 PM
I don't know if I'll get to go anywhere again now but I pulled the trigger on the Burton Step-ons with the DC boots and god damn, what a treat. I hope I can get a trip or two on them other than our drunken Sunshine adventure mid-November.

cam_wmh
12-09-2020, 12:37 PM
I’m on day 13, but other than the first Saturday — no more. Too busy with the plebs.

At Louise now. Dece pow out there.

cam_wmh
12-09-2020, 07:46 PM
I gotta gripe. I miss Star Wars. The new ski out, is slower and flatter. Nothing to pump thru.

SkiBum5.0
12-09-2020, 08:39 PM
Day 13?!? Nice. Did day 1 at Sunshine today. Not my favorite mountain but needed to be back by 4. We were first row of cars at 7:45. Apparently big lineups after 9:30. Conditions were okay, decent boot deep turns off Divide.

dimi
12-10-2020, 09:06 AM
13 days? Wow.

Sunshine yesterday. Good times, was nice not to have to rush for lines, as is usual on a weekend powder day.

lasimmon
12-10-2020, 09:26 AM
I just can't bring myself to pay to ski sunshine anymore. Which has really hampered my skiing days because the people I know are lazy and won't drive to louise.

asp integra
12-10-2020, 10:07 AM
I just can't bring myself to pay to ski sunshine anymore. Which has really hampered my skiing days because the people I know are lazy and won't drive to louise.

Even though the drive to Louise is farther, by the time you drive up the access road and get up the gondola it ends up being about the same time as it is to drive to Louise.

Rocket1k78
12-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Even though the drive to Louise is farther, by the time you drive up the access road and get up the gondola it ends up being about the same time as it is to drive to Louise.

This! i cant do sunshine either, the runs are just too short for me. Im a groomer guy also so thats why i love LL

cam_wmh
12-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Half my days have been solo. Do it! It’s liberating.

dimi
12-10-2020, 11:09 AM
LL is better terrain overall. When the dive and/or WW are open, laps of those and touring to the backside of wawa ridge are a great combo, but early season sunshine is limited.

Solo is awesome. Now with the new restrictions, you're technically not supposed to be driving out with your buddies, which kind of sucks having to drive out alone. If they set up a stop in front of LL and ssv checking cohorts, half the parking lot will have to turn around and go home :rofl:

Rocket1k78
12-10-2020, 11:22 AM
Now with the new restrictions, you're technically not supposed to be driving out with your buddies, which kind of sucks having to drive out alone. If they set up a stop in front of LL and ssv checking cohorts, half the parking lot will have to turn around and go home :rofl:

This could actually be a good thing for the next month, the hills definitely wont be as packed.

D'z Nutz
12-10-2020, 11:26 AM
Half my days have been solo. Do it! It’s liberating.

Yeah I've basically mostly gone solo now for the last few years. I got tired of trying to organize days when everyone's off, coming up with a meeting place, waiting for people's asses to wake up cause they thought they could sneak in a few extra minutes of sleep, then stopping for gas and food cause nobody else prepared the day before, and then parking way in the back cause we're an hour behind. Not only that, but I get twice as many runs in. My job is flexible enough and I have a lot of vacation days, so I have the option of going midweek a lot of the times anyways.

I'll still go with friends, but I'll meet them on the hill.

lasimmon
12-10-2020, 12:02 PM
LL is better terrain overall. When the dive and/or WW are open, laps of those and touring to the backside of wawa ridge are a great combo, but early season sunshine is limited.

Solo is awesome. Now with the new restrictions, you're technically not supposed to be driving out with your buddies, which kind of sucks having to drive out alone. If they set up a stop in front of LL and ssv checking cohorts, half the parking lot will have to turn around and go home :rofl:

I only go for Dive and WW laps now. I won't even bother with backside of Wawa anymore. Not worth the money for a lift ticket haha.

cam_wmh
12-10-2020, 04:08 PM
I only go for Dive and WW laps now. I won't even bother with backside of Wawa anymore. Not worth the money for a lift ticket haha.

So you didn’t shred last season?

cam_wmh
12-15-2020, 10:53 PM
g-m

How are Quartz/Gorman ?

lasimmon
12-16-2020, 09:21 AM
So you didn’t shred last season?

I think I did one day at Sunshine last year haha.

Going to give Louise a go on saturday.

g-m
12-16-2020, 11:26 AM
I donno I honestly have been sledding like twice. We did sled into McMurdo a few years ago to tour from the hut and I think that's quartz. It was incredible, too bad its literally impossible to book the hut
https://i.imgur.com/d197HRY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HbhvJE5.jpg

pillows for days. Would go back 100% if it were possible to book. Took a line down all the pillows/cliffs in the second photo, one of the coolest runs I've ever done

e31
12-16-2020, 05:44 PM
Mcmurdo is near Silent Pass. Last week some genius drove a chained-up 4x4 down the groomed snowmobile trail.
I'd like to do more snowbiking in the Columbia Valley this winter. Considerably more snow at the north end (Golden) than south (Cranbrook) so far.

BavarianBeast
12-16-2020, 11:00 PM
It’s been pillows for days in big white. Just puking the last week.

Upgrading to a new TRS for tomorrow!

BavarianBeast
12-20-2020, 04:30 PM
Enjoying the new deck so far. Feels a bit stiffer than the 2011 and that’s about it. Not sure if these things get more flexible over time? This is my first new snowboard in 10 years.

lasimmon
12-20-2020, 05:04 PM
Went to Louise yesterday for the first time in a few years. Pretty good snow. The summit double blacks had a ton of snow.

Should have went to kickinghorse today though... 35 cm..

sxtasy
12-20-2020, 07:18 PM
It’s been pillows for days in big white. Just puking the last week.

Upgrading to a new TRS for tomorrow!

Awesome pics, and nice board. I'd like to try Big White again soon but looks like it's closed to anyone who lives more than 150km away due to their huge covid outbreak. Going to try out Manning Park, around 70cm pow expected over the next few days.

EM2FTL
12-20-2020, 10:27 PM
I prefer Louise too but Sunshine was in top form today :love: