PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another What Car to Buy Thread

94boosted
10-29-2020, 03:07 PM
Well Beyond I'm looking for your advice again. Last time I did this y'all had some good suggestions, and unlike most of these "What to Buy" threads I actually bought the car (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/388364-Help-Me-Pick-a-Winter-Beater) and then subsequently sold it a year later (https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397092-FS-2012-Volvo-S60-R-Design) :rofl: because like many of you I'm sure, I have Car ADD, Car ADHD perhaps.

In July I sold my Golf R as it was a bit small and coming off warranty, in hindsight I probably shouldn't of as it was such a great little car especially with an RSB, Juice Box and some minor wheel/tire/suspension work. I then foolishly bought an Audi A6 3.0T (thinking it would basically be a slightly bigger/heavier S4), that lasted all of 2 months.

My criteria is as follows and I am fairly strict on these:

1. Reliable - I've done the Audi thing and the BMW thing and I'm pretty sick of German car problems, so no off warranty German cars is basically what I'm saying, CPO would be ok I guess
2. Quick - Let's say North of 350HP (I found the 320HP A6 booooring), I have a track/autocross car so it doesn't have to necessarily be nimble or agile
3. RWD or AWD
4. Low-ish Mileage - Let's say under 75,000kms
5. Under $40K
- Sedan or Wagon, perhaps a Coupe with a really big back seat
- I will drive it year round with a set of winters though if there's a big dump of snow I'll take my truck
- Manual or auto is fine

I've basically narrowed it down to two cars but curious to see if Beyond can think of anything else.

2012-13 Cadillac CTS-V
Pro: Bullet proof drivetrain, fast af, intoxicating S/C whine, seems to have of flattened out in pricing so should do well when I sell it in a couple years
Cons: Looks dated, the 6spd auto is very meh (manuals cost too much), expensive to insure, horrible fuel mileage

2011-12 Lexus ISF
Pro: Toyota reliability, great sounding exhaust, also seems to have of flattened out in terms of pricing
Cons: Tough to find a low mileage example that's not crack money, ??

Oh and before anybody suggests it, it can't be a Trackhawk :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-29-2020, 03:39 PM
Jaaaggg XF?

Buster
10-29-2020, 03:47 PM
Dude.

Trackhawk....then murder it out like it's 2012 again.

A2VR6
10-29-2020, 03:49 PM
Q50 Red Sport
ATS-V

Sentry
10-29-2020, 03:58 PM
I think a CTSV would be a great pick. ISFs are good cars too, just not fast enough for what you'd pay for one. Especially at Calgary elevation.

ThePenIsMightier
10-29-2020, 04:01 PM
I've got a sturdy 3-quarter-boner for an ISF.
:slurp:

vengie
10-29-2020, 04:06 PM
I'd thrice the IS-F.

So damn slick.
Sure they aren't the fastest, but man do they look good.

94boosted
10-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Jaaaggg XF?

Jag + Reliable = Does Not Compute :rofl:

Dude.

Trackhawk....then murder it out like it's 2012 again.

Lolz

Q50 Red Sport
ATS-V

You of all people suggesting a Red Sport, that's rich ;)
Don't know much about the long term reliability of that 3.6TT in the ATS-V

pheoxs
10-29-2020, 04:38 PM
Genesis Sedan with the 5.0?

gpomp
10-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Stinger GT.

ISF is good choice if you want to be slower than a stock 335 while using 2x the gas.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2020, 05:11 PM
Stinger GT with a tune yes this.

94boosted
10-29-2020, 05:11 PM

Hmm something to consider, there's one in town I might go take it for a spin.

Stinger GT.

ISF is good choice if you want to be slower than a stock 335 while using 2x the gas.

Stinger might work, last I checked they were still over $40K and getting a first model year production version of one could have some reliability concerns :dunno:

True but at least the ISF won't catch on fire, which is more than I can say of my old 335 :rofl: and will likely do really well in terms of value

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-29-2020, 07:16 PM
Should have just sent it on that CTS-V. GM has never ever done me wrong....................

bjstare
10-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Isf is fast enough to be fun, but it’s dog shit as a winter car. It was the only reason I sold mine and ended up replacing with an S4.

The isf was way more fun in the summer, but just so bad in the winter. For some reason worse traction than other rwd cars I’ve had, takes forever for oil to get to operating temp, suspension is heavily sprung and gets all clunky in the cold. Just overall the car feels like it’s unhappy when it’s below -5. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still have one. Drove mine for two years and sold it for $500 less than I bought it for.

I like the stinger gt, but wouldn’t touch a first year one with a ten foot pole.

I know you said no off warranty germans, but there’s two guys that live near me that both drive RS4s year round, and they seem awesome. Will retain value, and arguably the most reliable hi-po German of that era. Might be worth consideration?

The ctsv is probably a solid bet.. Feels a bit like an old man car, so they are soft enough to be comfy, but still high strung enough to be fun. I drove one that was tuned and pulley-ed, and it was a monster. One of the few American cars I’d consider buying. Recaros are a must have.

I hate FCA products, but a slightly older 2nd gen srt8 Jeep? It’s not a trackhawk, but almost as good. Idk if it’s in your price range, but probably ticks some boxes.

ExtraSlow
10-29-2020, 07:58 PM
I hear the alltrak with a tune was beastly. Practically a trackhawk wagon.

rc2002
10-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Should have just sent it on that CTS-V. GM has never ever done me wrong....................

My issue with GM is the dealerships. I had my worst dealership experience ever at GSL and I sold my corvette because of GSL even though it was still under warranty. After two years of waiting for them to do my sunroof recall I just gave up (I made several calls to check on status but I don’t think they ever ordered the parts). It took me 3 tries to get an oil change done even though I made appointments each time. I realized they were not actually too busy to do my oil changes but wanted my car in the shop so they could joy ride in it. Everytime I went to pick it up there was ~30km of additional mileage and the oil change wasn’t completed and they wanted me to bring it back. One of those times the spring on my clutch pedal had snapped in half and lying on the driver side floor mat when I picked up the car so I had to bring it back yet again to have that fixed. I documented all of this and provided it to GM head office and they did nothing about it.

As for the CTS-V, the engine block is probably quite reliable but I’m not so sure about the rest of the car. Given the amount of warranty work I had on my corvette which had only 20k km on it, I’m not very optimistic about GM products. I find that the tremec manual transmission in the CTS-V is not a very enjoyable transmission to drive. It takes so much effort to shift, throws are long, and it is very notchy.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-29-2020, 08:38 PM
My issue with GM is the dealerships. I had my worst dealership experience ever at GSL and I sold my corvette because of GSL even though it was still under warranty. After two years of waiting for them to do my sunroof recall I just gave up (I made several calls to check on status but I don’t think they ever ordered the parts). It took me 3 tries to get an oil change done even though I made appointments each time. I realized they were not actually too busy to do my oil changes but wanted my car in the shop so they could joy ride in it. Everytime I went to pick it up there was ~30km of additional mileage and the oil change wasn’t completed and they wanted me to bring it back. One of those times the spring on my clutch pedal had snapped in half and lying on the driver side floor mat when I picked up the car so I had to bring it back yet again to have that fixed. I documented all of this and provided it to GM head office and they did nothing about it.

As for the CTS-V, the engine block is probably quite reliable but I’m not so sure about the rest of the car. Given the amount of warranty work I had on my corvette which had only 20k km on it, I’m not very optimistic about GM products. I find that the tremec manual transmission in the CTS-V is not a very enjoyable transmission to drive. It takes so much effort to shift, throws are long, and it is very notchy.

I was insinuating I’m done with GM vehicles as well. My Corvette was a piece of shit, and GSL also screwed me...and I worked there. I can’t wait to offload my Duramax and CTS-V in spring.

90_Shelby
10-29-2020, 08:39 PM
I’m definitely biased but CTS-V for sure. ATS-V would be a solid choice but I don’t think you’ll find one under $40k.
The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies. I’ve owned mine for ~6 years now.

This one would be my first choice:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2018-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk/1528350708?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Or this one as a second pick:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2012-cadillac-cts-v-sedan-auto-sunroof-black-rims-556hp/1514052212?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Or this if the second pick sold, a few mods which should have it at ~600hp
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/2009-cadillac-cts-v/1528091977?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-29-2020, 08:40 PM
I’m definitely biased but CTS-V for sure. ATS-V would be a solid choice but I don’t think you’ll find one under $40k.
The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2018-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk/1528350708?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2012-cadillac-cts-v-sedan-auto-sunroof-black-rims-556hp/1514052212?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

I believe OP did make a offer on that V but they lowballed him on his trade and that car is now sold.

cars5431
10-29-2020, 08:52 PM
If you change your mind on German Have a 2014 335i M Performance addition. I’m looking to change to something new in spring but could be swayed to sell sooner. Under 70k, comes with winters

prae
10-29-2020, 09:10 PM
I vote gen2 CTSV. I enjoyed the shit out of the one I had. 25L/100km on the regular though, which you understand going into it, it seems.

Buster
10-29-2020, 10:19 PM
Manual ctsvs are very expensive now.

The main reliability point would be the magnetic suspension and a couple of minor issues with the superchargers.

never
10-29-2020, 11:12 PM
My buddy still has his 09 V and I think he would sell it for about $38k (he’s really lazy about selling so it has just been parked in his shop for quite a while - not listed anywhere of course!). Silver A6 sedan with about 50,000 km, Recaros. It is modded and has gone 10.6@130-something. He has stock 19s and a set of Weld RTS drag wheels...not sure both would go with the car at that price though. PM me if you want his contact info.

I didn’t find the long term gas mileage in my V2 to be that bad but I generally drive pretty mellow and mainly highway.

94boosted
10-30-2020, 09:18 AM

Yah they literally sold it a day before I sold my Audi :cry:

Isf is fast enough to be fun, but it’s dog shit as a winter car. It was the only reason I sold mine and ended up replacing with an S4.

The isf was way more fun in the summer, but just so bad in the winter. For some reason worse traction than other rwd cars I’ve had, takes forever for oil to get to operating temp, suspension is heavily sprung and gets all clunky in the cold. Just overall the car feels like it’s unhappy when it’s below -5. If it wasn’t for that, I’d still have one. Drove mine for two years and sold it for $500 less than I bought it for.

Good feedback on the ISF, thanks

It's definitely a YMMV scenario, I've had many GM's over the years including a Corvette (which was tracked and autocrossed aggressively for 5+ years) and while I've had shitty experiences at Shaganappi GM overall the cars themselves have been rock solid and far, far more reliable than the German cars I've had.

The styling is dated but they deliver awesome bang for the buck. Mag ride suspension is fantastic and the transmission is ok once you learn the tricks to work around the deficiencies. I’ve owned mine for ~6 years now.

Or this if the second pick sold, a few mods which should have it at ~600hp
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/2009-cadillac-cts-v/1528091977?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Yah Don Wheaton being sleeazy with that 2012 CTS-V, I'm pissed. I'd much prefer a 2012-13 over a 2009.

I vote gen2 CTSV. I enjoyed the shit out of the one I had. 25L/100km on the regular though, which you understand going into it, it seems.

Yikes, I expected it to be bad but not that bad :O

Manual ctsvs are very expensive now.

The main reliability point would be the magnetic suspension and a couple of minor issues with the superchargers.

Yah the mag shocks have come down a lot in replacement cost and the Supercharger I think is covered for 10yrs/100,000km

My buddy still has his 09 V and I think he would sell it for about $38k (he’s really lazy about selling so it has just been parked in his shop for quite a while - not listed anywhere of course!). Silver A6 sedan with about 50,000 km, Recaros. It is modded and has gone 10.6@130-something. He has stock 19s and a set of Weld RTS drag wheels...not sure both would go with the car at that price though. PM me if you want his contact info.

I didn’t find the long term gas mileage in my V2 to be that bad but I generally drive pretty mellow and mainly highway.

Thanks but I'd definitely prefer something that's not modded as it will be a DD.

94boosted
10-30-2020, 09:21 AM

Just drove the 2016 5.0 at Precision Hyundai last night, :zzz: I had to double check twice that it was the V8 and not the V6. So big and sluggish.

Neil4Speed
10-30-2020, 05:38 PM
If you are willing to break the no German rule (consider that Porsche reliability is pretty good), perhaps consider a used Macan Turbo?

bjstare
10-30-2020, 07:46 PM
If you are willing to break the no German rule (consider that Porsche reliability is pretty good), perhaps consider a used Macan Turbo?

Idk about the macan, but if the cayenne is any indicator, they are a nightmare to own out of warranty. Random example, the battery is located under the drivers seat, and replacing it is just as bad/expensive as you’d think. Not to mention cylinder scoring is rampant in that v8. :dunno:

rc2002
10-30-2020, 09:47 PM
It's definitely a YMMV scenario, I've had many GM's over the years including a Corvette (which was tracked and autocrossed aggressively for 5+ years) and while I've had shitty experiences at Shaganappi GM overall the cars themselves have been rock solid and far, far more reliable than the German cars I've had.

That’s one thing I agree with you on. I would much rather an American car fail on me out of warranty than a German one.

It’s really too bad there’s not a lot of Japanese vehicles with decent performance. The IS-F is getting a bit long in the tooth and they feel overpriced for a platform that debuted in 2006. Not sure if GS-F prices have dropped into your price range yet but those seem decent - Jeremy Clarkson did a review on one a couple years back on Grand Tour. I think they are RWD only, but maybe Lexus has improved the RWD for better winter driving since the IS-F?

I was insinuating I’m done with GM vehicles as well. My Corvette was a piece of shit, and GSL also screwed me...and I worked there. I can’t wait to offload my Duramax and CTS-V in spring.

Gotcha, I read that completely wrong. My sarcasm detector must be broken. Sounds like GSL hasn’t changed that much - I sold my Corvette over a decade ago before the bumper to bumper expired.

SKR
10-31-2020, 06:43 AM
I know "reliable" and "GM" don't always go together, and "reliable" and "Northstar" really don't go together. But what about getting weird with a Cadillac STS-V?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/beautiful-shape-cadillac-sts-v/1532824162

It's a little bigger than a CTS-V and a lot more rare. Is it far enough under your budget to take a chance on something like that?

SKR
10-31-2020, 10:12 AM
I'm not very good at this game because I'm always biased toward GM and tend to prefer contrarian solutions. Here's a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/saskatoon/2009-pontiac-g8-gt/1532539913

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-31-2020, 10:19 AM
I'm not very good at this game because I'm always biased toward GM and tend to prefer contrarian solutions. Here's a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT.

Im not saying I don’t like GM stuff, I’m just saying I can’t afford it.

ExtraSlow
10-31-2020, 10:26 AM
That Pontiac is a sweet car. I rented one back in the day when they were new, because I have that hookup at the rental place. They got those basically by accident. Sweet sweet engine. I did a hot lap from Peter Lougheed park to calgary taking the sibbald road. Traction and stability control kept my out of the ditches somehow while I pretended to be a rally driver.

dirtsniffer
10-31-2020, 10:57 AM
Maybe a bit over budget

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=560202428&zip=T1X%2BT&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3DT1X%252BT%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26modelCodeList%3DG8%26makeCodeList%3DPONT%26searchRadius%3D200%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=G8&makeCodeList=PONT&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=PONT&modelCode1=G8&clickType=listing

And one definitely over.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=566133525&zip=T1X%2BT&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3DT1X%252BT%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26modelCodeList%3DCHEVSS%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%26searchRadius%3D200%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CHEVSS&makeCodeList=CHEV&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEVSS&clickType=listing

Corvette all the things!

ThePenIsMightier
10-31-2020, 01:47 PM
G8's are great.
What's an imported Chevy SS cost?

Neil4Speed
10-31-2020, 02:10 PM
Idk about the macan, but if the cayenne is any indicator, they are a nightmare to own out of warranty. Random example, the battery is located under the drivers seat, and replacing it is just as bad/expensive as you’d think. Not to mention cylinder scoring is rampant in that v8. :dunno:

The 958 Cayenne's have generally been quite good as far as reliability goes. The major fault being the transfer case is now covered under extended warranty, cylinder scoring was a problem in the first gen.

Macan is shown to be pretty good so far. If you are comfortable with the American brands, it's worth a look.

npham
10-31-2020, 03:02 PM
You probably could find a CLS550 in that price range or if you bumped it up a bit, could snag a CLS63.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 - 47k
https://www.mercedes-benz-downtowncalgary.ca/inventory/used/2014-mercedes-benz-cls-calgary-alberta/18067975

Or take Jordan's allocation on the RS6 Avant.

03ozwhip
10-31-2020, 04:04 PM
You probably could find a CLS550 in that price range or if you bumped it up a bit, could snag a CLS63.

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 - 47k
https://www.mercedes-benz-downtowncalgary.ca/inventory/used/2014-mercedes-benz-cls-calgary-alberta/18067975

Or take Jordan's allocation on the RS6 Avant.

I love beyond...go from 40k budget to 140k lol

Strider
10-31-2020, 09:27 PM
I love beyond...go from 40k budget to 140k lol

-Insert comment about cost of ownership and not losing money on trade

bjstare
11-01-2020, 10:59 AM
The 958 Cayenne's have generally been quite good as far as reliability goes. The major fault being the transfer case is now covered under extended warranty, cylinder scoring was a problem in the first gen.

Macan is shown to be pretty good so far. If you are comfortable with the American brands, it's worth a look.

I had no idea they fixed that for second gen. Are they the budget baller family hauler now? They depreciate like crazy.

94boosted
11-01-2020, 02:05 PM
I know "reliable" and "GM" don't always go together, and "reliable" and "Northstar" really don't go together. But what about getting weird with a Cadillac STS-V?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/beautiful-shape-cadillac-sts-v/1532824162

It's a little bigger than a CTS-V and a lot more rare. Is it far enough under your budget to take a chance on something like that?

Interesting suggestion, link is down though.

That one seems rough around the edges but could be considered I suppose.

Maybe a bit over budget

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=560202428&zip=T1X%2BT&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3DT1X%252BT%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26modelCodeList%3DG8%26makeCodeList%3DPONT%26searchRadius%3D200%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=G8&makeCodeList=PONT&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=PONT&modelCode1=G8&clickType=listing

And one definitely over.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=566133525&zip=T1X%2BT&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3DT1X%252BT%26listingTypes%3DUSED%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26marketExtension%3Dinclude%26modelCodeList%3DCHEVSS%26makeCodeList%3DCHEV%26searchRadius%3D200%26isNewSearch%3Dfalse%26transmissionCodes%3DMAN&listingTypes=USED&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0&modelCodeList=CHEVSS&makeCodeList=CHEV&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEVSS&clickType=listing

Corvette all the things!

I would absolutely love a G8 GXP or a Chevy SS but the prices on them are insane plus importing a car with Covid could be tricky as you can't drive it across the border yourself.

tonytiger55
11-01-2020, 04:24 PM
Not quite north of 350bhp.
Infinity Q50..?

Graham_A_M
11-05-2020, 12:02 AM
I ended up buying an 18 Impala Premium for my fiance' and she wanted a solid dependable car. I honestly love it. The infotainment system on it is perfect, apple or Android auto works amazing, I literally don't ever have to touch my phone while driving, I can make calls, send texts or fuck around with Spotify on the fly. It gets unreal fuel economy, despite its 305hp 3.6 V6, if you want more power, the 3.6 is widely used in the GM line up, tons of HP adders for it. 900km's to a $60 tank isn't too shabby. You could live in the trunk of it, it's so big. Rear passenger room/space is huge. Handles quite well, not on sports car standards, but I have no difficulties going 30kph faster then what normal cars do around cloverleaf and on ramps.

The factory sound system on it, is exceptionally hard to fault, it shakes my mirrors to the point where they are useless. Clarity and sound stage is fantastic.

They can be had for quite a reasonable price. The premium is the um, the premium version....... um, yeah. Lol. You can take mine for a boot if you were interested.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-05-2020, 08:08 AM
I think op bought something last night.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2020, 08:23 AM
did he buy it from a reputable beyonder? I didn't sell anything last night.

94boosted
11-05-2020, 08:29 AM
I did indeed buy from a reputable beyonder :)

Car's getting some 3M put on and some winter tires, will post a picture once I've got it home.

brucebanner
11-05-2020, 08:40 AM
I did indeed buy from a reputable beyonder :)

Car's getting some 3M put on and some winter tires, will post a picture once I've got it home.

... Is it a CTSV?

Disoblige
11-05-2020, 09:28 AM
900km's to a $60 tank isn't too shabby.
This doesn't sound right for a 305 HP V6. 70 L tank gets you 900 km?
So you're saying the average L/100 km in 7.78? Honestly, I'm not that much lower with a Honda Fit, so that seems very odd unless it's mostly or all highway.

bjstare
11-05-2020, 11:22 AM
So you're saying the average L/100 km in 7.78? Honestly, I'm not that much lower with a Honda Fit, so that seems very odd unless it's mostly or all highway.

A6 is too much of a boat, suggests large rental car :rofl:

Gotta give the guy a bit of a break though, can't expect a sommelier to be super knowledgeable about cars...

heavyD
11-05-2020, 11:53 AM
The ATS-V is more agile and fun to drive than the CTS-V and is cheaper. The only thing the CTS-V has on it's little brother is the engine but the TTV6 isn't a slouch.

JRSC00LUDE
11-05-2020, 12:54 PM

No idea about that car but my buddy just bought a Yukon Denali for this wife and that fucking thing went from Lake Louise to Banff and back and then all the way to Saskatoon on one tank. Blew my mind. That's about 900 km on a 90 liter tank, so maybe that impala CAN do that.

ExtraSlow
11-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Highway mileage on half tons and large SUV's is routinely around 10 L/100km now, so on more aero-efficient vehicles line an impala, I'm not at all surprised they do that well on pure highway.

ThePenIsMightier
11-05-2020, 12:58 PM
No idea about that car but my buddy just bought a Yukon Denali for this wife and that fucking thing went from Lake Louise to Banff and back and then all the way to Saskatoon on one tank. Blew my mind. That's about 900 km on a 90 liter tank, so maybe that impala CAN do that.

I've rented an Impala and I think it'll do about 7.5-8 on all Highway.
I was very impressed with that car, throughout. I don't know what they cost, but it seemed great for a larger car

Graham_A_M
11-06-2020, 12:29 AM
A6 is too much of a boat, suggests large rental car :rofl:

Gotta give the guy a bit of a break though, can't expect a sommelier to be super knowledgeable about cars...

Fuck off and die dude. :rofl: highest I get is 8.2 combined, 7.5 or so is fairly average for me. Engine is at 1800 at 120 in 6th gear. If I drive it quite aggressively, 9.0 is common, but driving it casually, even 8.5 is high.

90_Shelby
11-06-2020, 07:31 AM
The Trackhawk is showing 24.2L/100km currently. More is better right?

prae
11-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Do you find the trackhawk usually does better than the Vagon, mileage wise?

Buster
11-09-2020, 03:14 PM
People are so obsessed with fuel mileage...when the marginal difference between an okay car and a shit car is not a big part of your TCO.

Nobody should care what the difference in mileage is between a trackhawk and a V-wagon.

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 03:28 PM
People are so obsessed with fuel mileage...when the marginal difference between an okay car and a shit car is not a big part of your TCO.

Nobody should care what the difference in mileage is between a trackhawk and a V-wagon.

Yes. Smiles per gallon.

94boosted
11-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Mileage and the insurance premium were the two biggest cons for me against a Gen 2 CTS-V. Easily $150-200/mo more than other cars I was looking at. While it's not huge it was definitely a factor in my decision.

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 06:43 PM

It must take premium as well, right?

90_Shelby
11-09-2020, 07:41 PM
With similar driving, short commute and no roads over 50, the wagon usually averages around 17-18L/100km. The gas tank is fairly small with the wagon which makes it a bit annoying when it seems you’re always filling up. Premium with both, I typically run Petro 94.

Ignore Buster’s criticism on the mileage inquiry. He also doesn’t care about performance metrics, but for reasons unknown, still likes performance cars. I don’t get it.

Buster
11-09-2020, 08:05 PM
I also don't buy my wine based on alcohol content.

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 08:12 PM

I've heard of people who can't afford Amarone, but didn't think I'd communicate with one... Didn't realize the vid had dragged you down so low.

prae
11-09-2020, 08:26 PM
I'm pleased to have rustled Buster's jimmies this hard.

90_Shelby
11-09-2020, 08:26 PM

If we’re drawing parallels, i’m guessing you buy wine just to look at the bottle?

Buster
11-09-2020, 08:28 PM
If we’re drawing parallels, i’m guessing you buy wine just to look at the bottle?

I buy wine for the flava

ExtraSlow
11-09-2020, 08:28 PM
There is a member on here who pours fancy drinks "for the gram" .

prae
11-09-2020, 08:30 PM
There is a member on here who pours fancy drinks "for the gram" .

Hey you leave 89coupe alone

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 08:36 PM
LoL, are you being mean, or are you talking about that guy with the fancy liquor bottle photo's that are all outdoorsy & shit?

prae
11-09-2020, 08:39 PM
You'll never see me hating on Eride; getting paid to drink nice bottles sounds great.

- - - Updated - - -

wait is this the scotch thread or the trackhawk thread?

nvm every thread is trackhawk thread

ThePenIsMightier
11-09-2020, 08:42 PM
You'll never see me hating on Eride; getting paid to drink nice bottles sounds great.

- - - Updated - - -

wait is this the scotch thread or the trackhawk thread?

nvm every thread is trackhawk thread

I think it's the drinking + TrackHawking thread. Which means it should maybe be moved into Ask Leo...

ExtraSlow
11-09-2020, 08:45 PM
I probably post more alcohol photos than anyone. Did I play myself?

90_Shelby
11-09-2020, 08:49 PM
I buy wine for the flava

Perfect, you probably have better taste then me too. Open invitation next time you’re downtown, you buy the good stuff, i’ll drink it for the alcohol content. We can discuss symmetric interiors.

Buster
11-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Perfect, you probably have better taste then me too. Open invitation next time you’re downtown, you buy the good stuff, i’ll drink it for the alcohol content. We can discuss symmetric interiors.

haha, sure thing.

I don't have a problem with fast cars - I just think that because 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times are one of the few things you can measure that it is the most important thing. If you had a good way to measure "emotion", that's what I think is most important.

90_Shelby
11-09-2020, 09:08 PM
haha, sure thing.

I don't have a problem with fast cars - I just think that because 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times are one of the few things you can measure that it is the most important thing. If you had a good way to measure "emotion", that's what I think is most important.

Emotion? Have I got a recommendation for you!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2018-jeep-trackhawk-max-loaded-lowest-kms-132-000-gst-new/1534051972?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

I should throw out an offer for someone to drive mine in order to do a review. It’s actually a riot.