PDA

View Full Version : New computer recommendation

FraserB
10-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Time has come to replace the almost 7 year old laptop, screen has been giving me some flickering lately and don't want to wind up with a brick on my hands.

Pretty easy requirements.
- No desktops, laptop or tablet type only
- I don't game on my computer, so don't need bleeding edge speed
- Don't need a massive screen, but nothing tiny either (15" screen might be ideal)
- Need to run Office suite of products
- Needs either a keyboard attached or the option to connect one easily
- Good amount of storage
- Around the $1000 range

ExtraSlow
10-30-2020, 11:26 AM
my only recommendation, and this one is firm, is that you want an SSD an not spinning platters. Better battery life, faster speeds. we have a new hardware nerds who will hopefully chime in on specific systems.

revelations
10-30-2020, 11:49 AM
From a quick glance at best buy:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-vivobook-15-6-laptop-black-amd-ryzen-7-4700u-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-16gb-ram-windows-10/14934344

One thing to note is that 16gb RAM is the minimum these days for a new system that you want to last a few years.

16gb is a bit overkill right NOW as a basic workstation, but in 1-2 years it wont be.

pheoxs
10-30-2020, 11:55 AM
my only recommendation, and this one is firm, is that you want an SSD an not spinning platters. Better battery life, faster speeds. we have a new hardware nerds who will hopefully chime in on specific systems.

Definitely this.

I'm a fan of the Dell XPS laptops for design and quality BUT amd has been crushing it in the mobile game for a while now. I'd recommend looking at something with a newer Ryzen processor rather than intel. Much better performance for the buck so I'd say avoid Dell until they shift over.

jwslam
10-30-2020, 12:06 PM
Things I didn't look too deeply at when shopping and regret:

1) What type of USB-C port; the laptop I bought won't dock... it's data transfer only
2) Battery life
3) Consider the cheaper ones and see if you can upgrade RAM (so make sure not soldered)

Tik-Tok
10-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Black Friedegg is coming up in 4 weeks. A good time to get a mid-range laptop.

FraserB
11-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Very good point, missed that on the list for sure.

From a quick glance at best buy:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-vivobook-15-6-laptop-black-amd-ryzen-7-4700u-1tb-hdd-256gb-ssd-16gb-ram-windows-10/14934344

One thing to note is that 16gb RAM is the minimum these days for a new system that you want to last a few years.

16gb is a bit overkill right NOW as a basic workstation, but in 1-2 years it wont be.

Definitely don't mind paying a bit more now to future proof. If I wasn't seeing the screen flicker now I would keep this one a few more years.

Definitely this.

I'm a fan of the Dell XPS laptops for design and quality BUT amd has been crushing it in the mobile game for a while now. I'd recommend looking at something with a newer Ryzen processor rather than intel. Much better performance for the buck so I'd say avoid Dell until they shift over.

My current laptop is Dell and I have had zero issues with it until now. Good to know about the processors though.

Black Friedegg is coming up in 4 weeks. A good time to get a mid-range laptop.

Newegg.com I'm assuming?

Are there any tablet type systems that would meet the list above?

cyra1ax
11-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Definitely this.

I 100% agree on the Ryzen suggestion, but AFAIK apart from a couple of models, the OEM's are not putting them in their best chassis designs.

dirtsniffer
11-04-2020, 12:27 PM
Get something with a nice ips screen

mazdavirgin
11-04-2020, 12:40 PM
My current laptop is Dell and I have had zero issues with it until now. Good to know about the processors though.

If you've been happy with your Dell I would just buy another one. The Latitude 9410 is pretty damn amazing but it's not within your price range. The processor thing is a non issue IMHO since you're not playing games and frankly it's such a minor difference as to be unnoticeable. You'd be better off specifically getting a laptop with NVMe storage that will make the biggest difference. Will limit the amount of hard drive space you have though at the price point of 1k. Perhaps you can store additional files on a external drive connected to your dock?