PDA

View Full Version : Worst high-paying job

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Just for funzies, what job that pays "well" do you think you'd personally hate? For me, Dentist would be top of the list.

The_Rural_Juror
11-06-2020, 09:05 AM
Stonk broker or exotic dancer. Maybe microbiologist because the macrobiologists always make fun of them.

benyl
11-06-2020, 09:07 AM
An extra juror in a rural court that moves slow.

Oh wait, that doesn't pay.

nzwasp
11-06-2020, 09:08 AM
You wouldn’t like people flicking toonies at your dirty bits?

killramos
11-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Politician

Not enough $ in the world for that job

ercchry
11-06-2020, 09:24 AM
Cartel head... too much stress worrying about who to kill, who is trying to kill you, who is CIA or DEA...

01RedDX
11-06-2020, 09:32 AM

pheoxs
11-06-2020, 09:34 AM
Beyond moderator

ThePenIsMightier
11-06-2020, 09:36 AM
GP Physician.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 10:02 AM
GP Physician.

Yeah, this one is a bit gross too. Especially here in Canada. GP in a private practice might be more enjoyable because you'd have less of a meat-grinder business model.

killramos
11-06-2020, 10:05 AM
GP Physician.

Is this a physician in GP, or any general practice physician?

pheoxs
11-06-2020, 10:07 AM
I think for worst job it'd have to be something that sticks with you or affects your life around you. Politician as said above comes to mind as there's a good chance people will deep dig into your private life and your families private life to swing mud. In some cases they'll throw allegations that aren't even true and that can affect your whole family.

I also couldn't do anything medical. EMS, Doctors, Nurse, etc is definitely not for me. They see so much shit that would fuck you up mentally for a long time to come.

ThePenIsMightier
11-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Is this a physician in GP, or any general practice physician?

LoL, that's funny. A GP Physician in GP would be whole-nutha-lehvo!

It's just an endless chain of drug seeker bullshit with a massive dose of people wanting cold & flu cures and a side of WCB fraud.
Then Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, whatever the fuck is the flavour of the month and 111% of your patients ignoring your advice to stop eating shit and get off your fat ass.

What do they make? Maybe $350k?
Not once, ever, never. I'm grateful they exist, but it's up there with Hot Tar Roofer in job quality.

ercchry
11-06-2020, 10:27 AM
I dunno... the nurse that sticks swabs in peepee and butt holes all day for under $100k is probably worse than any GP’s day :rofl:

jake1er
11-06-2020, 10:27 AM
I'm not envious at all of the couple lawyers I know. GP Physician in GP wins though :rofl:

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 10:32 AM
I dunno, I could handle corporate law. I find that stuff pretty interesting, at least I have this last year where I've been working with a few pretty regularly. Not saying I'm qualified of course!

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2020, 10:36 AM
A few that come to mind for me would be air traffic control, crime scene cleaner, proctologist/GI doc, commercial fisherman.

Inzane
11-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Premier of Alberta.

cjblair
11-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Yeah, big firm lawyer is up there for me. Especially now that earning partnership at a larger firm is nearly impossible. At least back in the day all the 90hr weeks could lead to a massive payout when you make partner, now they're just ppl factories that work their staff into the ground, then rotate out for new staff.

Any lawer that has a job in industry (i.e. in house counsel) is where it's at though. Decent money, good job security, 9-5.

dirtsniffer
11-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Accountant. Decent pay unless you consider it per hour.

pf0sh0
11-06-2020, 10:50 AM
Accountant. Decent pay unless you consider it per hour.

Especially if you remain in public accounting..

zechs
11-06-2020, 10:52 AM
What is high paying? As in, is there a minimum cutoff?

To this day, I still consider anything over $100k to be pretty good, especially if you are working a weekday schedule with some flexibility to hours. In fact, looking at the general job market right now... The days of getting over $100k per year unless in a management style position seems to be rapidly dwindling.

3rd class Power Engineers across Alberta typically make $150k+ per year after OT. I'd never want to do it, because night shifts or getting up at 5am continuously destroys me.

https://www.thekickassentrepreneur.com/income-percentile-calculator-by-province-for-canada/

Looks like 85th percentile is ~$100k.

In my case specifically, I prefer a weekday schedule. Doesn't really matter what I do in that time, I haven't done my specific background of education in a long time. I like challenges, which is why I started my business. The benefits of being a small business owner outweigh the schedule setbacks, but as things got established, the hours smoothed out to a fairly typical day-style job.

I wouldn't want to be a doctor or dentist. Too much personal in your face contact. Surgeon would be the absolute worst, I can't imagine any other job that makes me react so negatively.

cjblair
11-06-2020, 10:56 AM
I'd consider the min threshold for high paying to be ~$250k.

spikerS
11-06-2020, 11:08 AM
I have friends who are both cops, and EMS workers. They don't get paid big bucks, but definitely should be. The stories they tell me are so over the top that they are hardly believable most of the time. That shit has even scarred me just hearing about it, nevermind seeing it first hand or having to deal with it and interact with it.

Society and the general population are so effing fucked up, it's hard to have a positive outlook on life considering what these guys/girls see on the daily. Seriously, these first responders should be making some serious fucking bank just to pay for the mental health help they are going to need.

zechs
11-06-2020, 11:09 AM

So 98th percentile in Alberta.

Do doctors even fall in that? In arguments on Beyond, I thought their $350k income was before office expenses?

Most people I know in that range are business owners, or very high up in the respective fields. Plant managers, lawyers that have made partner, etc. All jobs that don't particularily appeal to me personally.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Take home for family doc is probably not above that.

killramos
11-06-2020, 11:17 AM
I have friends who are both cops, and EMS workers. They don't get paid big bucks, but definitely should be. The stories they tell me are so over the top that they are hardly believable most of the time. That shit has even scarred me just hearing about it, nevermind seeing it first hand or having to deal with it and interact with it.

Society and the general population are so effing fucked up, it's hard to have a positive outlook on life considering what these guys/girls see on the daily. Seriously, these first responders should be making some serious fucking bank just to pay for the mental health help they are going to need.

Cops on 2020 is definitely on the list of shit jobs, but they defs don’t make the high paid cutoff.

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful with throwing numbers like that out or you are going to be made into a meme.

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2020, 11:21 AM
The CIHI says GP's in Alberta make over $300K. Probably makes a difference if you own your own practice or not but I have seen job postings for physicians in the $300K range even in BC.

ercchry
11-06-2020, 11:22 AM
Haven’t seen too many cop incomes, but for sure around a ~$100k job with great benefits for most, similar to firefighter... besides the bad accidents and melting corpses firefighter for the same money ftw, no one hates a firefighter. But I think if you can stick it out and move up in the police force, the pay is pretty solid. Buddy who was in aspen had a detective living down the street... so cop = aspen money, not too bad, not too bad...

killramos
11-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Haven’t seen too many cop incomes, but for sure around a ~$100k job with great benefits for most, similar to firefighter... besides the bad accidents and melting corpses firefighter for the same money ftw, no one hates a firefighter. But I think if you can stick it out and move up in the police force, the pay is pretty solid. Buddy who was in aspen had a detective living down the street... so cop = aspen money, not too bad, not too bad...

Firefighters don’t gear to wear an extra penis on their belt tho

ercchry
11-06-2020, 11:25 AM
Firefighters don’t gear to wear an extra penis on their belt tho

But that hose though :love:

killramos
11-06-2020, 11:26 AM
But that hose though :love:

Haha. I owe you a rep

mr2mike
11-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Epstein's pilot.
Everyone overlooked this post.

Like everything else in Epstein's life.

cjblair
11-06-2020, 12:20 PM
Be careful with throwing numbers like that out or you are going to be made into a meme.

Unlike some others on this forum, I don't think the internet is srs business. Bring it.

RE: doctor salary... the only ones I know make more than $250k, and they aren't in any special niche or anything. Anecdotal evidence, but it's my only reference point.

Manhattan
11-06-2020, 12:30 PM
I'd consider high paying to be 2.5 to 3X the average household income so 250K is about where I'd put it. I don't think EMS, nurses, fire fighters fit that bill in any jurisdiction.

I'd put "worst" high paying jobs into 3 categories:

- things that eat up a lot of time/stressful (investment banking, corporate executive)
- things that are gross (pretty much any health care field)
- things that are tedious (dentist - doing the same thing day after day, lawyer)

Other aspects that are probably present in all those categories are doing things that are soul crushing and/or against your moral values. Career is a very personal choice and I can easily understand how someone might choose a field in any of those fields.

killramos
11-06-2020, 12:37 PM
Overall jobs are for suckers.

Tik-Tok
11-06-2020, 01:08 PM
Everyone overlooked this post.

Like everything else in Epstein's life.

If you were Epsteins pilot, I'm pretty sure you were into the same things as him.

Everyone saying cops don't earn enough to be on this worst list, isn't including their kickbacks and protection money.

mr2mike
11-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Firefighter.
I mean sleeping in a room with a bunch of other men and the possibility of bed bugs.

ShermanEF9
11-06-2020, 02:00 PM
Is it gay to be in a calendar with other shirtless dudes? Asking for a friend.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 02:05 PM
So needs to be 250k+, and then someone brings up firefighters? Pretty wide range on this discussion!

01RedDX
11-06-2020, 02:06 PM

dirtsniffer
11-06-2020, 02:09 PM
it's kind of ironic that most of us here have careers the majority consider high paying. Guess it is all relative.

cjblair
11-06-2020, 02:11 PM
So needs to be 250k+, and then someone brings up firefighters? Pretty wide range on this discussion!

Due to the wide range of interpretation of "pays well".

Or, more likely, people ignored the title and just started posting jobs they don't want.

ThePenIsMightier
11-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Overall jobs are for suckers.

Well, if you wear overalls at your job, you probably -
Oh... Different...

vengie
11-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Firefighters have a pretty gravy job (aside from some of the shit they see)

I have two buddies who are firefighters making >$100k, they essentially work 6 months out of the year and if they work at a slower hall, sleep through their night shift.

Most firefighters also have a side income of some sort, which they do on their down time at the hall or days off.

killramos
11-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Due to the wide range of interpretation of "pays well".

Or, more likely, people ignored the title and just started posting jobs they don't want.

I think it’s just a difference of opinion on cutoff for “pays well”.

Making north of 100k is a very good paying job in my books.

To some people maybe that number is 60, to others 200. Shitty jobs are shitty jobs either way though.

tirebob
11-06-2020, 02:36 PM

Jesus fuck... Am I the poorest person on beyond?? I have never once in my life made even 1/3rd of that and I am the sole bread winner in the house! haha! Sometimes I am too naive I think.

Still... I have my toys and hobbies, regular vacations that many consider to be baller, drink my fair share of definitively fine scotch and wine, have an acreage and been happily married for almost 24years now and raised my children to living on their own responsibly with a stay-at-home wife to me and mom to the kids the entire time. I have no reason to complain!

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 02:39 PM
Firefighter is a much better career than police etc. More downtime when you are working, and enough days off to run a second gig on the side.

ThePenIsMightier
11-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Jesus fuck... Am I the poorest person on beyond?? I have never once in my life made even 1/3rd of that and I am the sole bread winner in the house! haha! Sometimes I am too naive I think.

Still... I have my toys and hobbies, regular vacations that many consider to be baller, drink my fair share of definitively fine scotch and wine, have an acreage and been happily married for almost 24years now and raised my children to living on their own responsibly with a stay-at-home wife to me and mom to the kids the entire time. I have no reason to complain!

Amen! I was talking about how we're only slightly, if really at all, "happier" than when we barely had any money. Enough to pay the bills without having to work more than 2,000 hours per year and life is a pretty sweet fruit.

Why do we have to #Beyond this? There are tax brackets established by our elected officials. What's the top one, these days? I think it's around $136k, non?
Jobs that put you in the top tax bracket and suck gangrenous cock. GO!!

killramos
11-06-2020, 02:55 PM
Amen! I was talking about how we're only slightly, if really at all, "happier" than when we barely had any money. Enough to pay the bills without having to work more than 2,000 hours per year and life is a pretty sweet fruit.

Why do we have to #Beyond this? There are tax brackets established by our elected officials. What's the top one, these days? I think it's around $136k, non?

Still - Politician

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I consider anything that gets you into the top tax bracket to be "high paying." I have cracked that a couple of years, but it's been the exception for me for sure. Now having two incomes in your household both in top tax bracket, and yeah baby, that's living the double-meat life.

I've actually never had a "bad" job.

ThePenIsMightier
11-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Still - Politician

Even though MP's make $179k, I think I partially agree with you. Being an MP a prominent, politically charged city <<< being one in a quiet, rural area though.

shakalaka
11-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Lawyer and doesn't even pay much.

Mitsu3000gt
11-06-2020, 03:20 PM
Being a senator would be pretty awesome - going to work is rarely mandatory, and they get a host of other benefits like free insider trading and a good pension.

01RedDX
11-06-2020, 03:28 PM

cjblair
11-06-2020, 03:49 PM

Am I missing something? Top federal tax bracket is anything over $214k; top Alberta one is anything over $314k.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Man the state of journalism these days is brutal. Can't trust anyone.

Manhattan
11-06-2020, 03:57 PM
I don't really consider politician to be a "job" per se. It's pretty much in the same category as being a famous actor or musician in that your time is fleeting while losing your personal anonymity. There's also very few recognizable politicians out there so the chances of making it there is about as good as making it in the entertainment industry.

killramos
11-06-2020, 04:07 PM
I don't really consider politician to be a "job" per se. It's pretty much in the same category as being a famous actor or musician in that your time is fleeting while losing your personal anonymity. There's also very few recognizable politicians out there so the chances of making it there is about as good as making it in the entertainment industry.

That's the worst part, slugging in out climbing the ladder to even get to run just to do the worst job on the planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I missing something? Top federal tax bracket is anything over $214k; top Alberta one is anything over $314k.

I think one of the least well understood concept in this country is our progressive income tax system.

msommers
11-06-2020, 04:41 PM
it's kind of ironic that most of us here have careers the majority consider high paying. Guess it is all relative.

Bingo.

My job hunt this year has been pretty eye-opening. Companies wanting a guy with a PhD in math/stats, 5 years of work experience, coding in all languages, salary starting at $45,000. Pathologist salary in Alberta currently offered from $353,874.00 to $411,650.00.

Of the few GPs I know, it's >200K/yr after expenses. Then again an overwhelming majority of people go into medicine for the money, can't say I blame them, I wish it was me.

Crime scene clean-up pays sweet fuck all, is essentially 24/7 on-call and horrible safety conditions. When we moved up to Edmonton my wife did it as she was thinking about pathology and seemed like good experience to put on the resume. Some seriously fucked up stories, but mostly hoarders. One funny one of a government official who peaced out, found bunch of dildos in the dishwasher.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 04:44 PM
We can transition this thread into the what is the threshold for "high paying" jobs? thread.

msommers
11-06-2020, 05:20 PM
"In Calgary, the median family income for 2018 was $102,570. Calgary median family income increased 2.24% year-over-year, and increased 2.72% in the last five years"

Seems reasonable that 2x the average is high paying, no matter what the average Beyonder thinks. I can't believe the number of jobs I've come across (and applied to) that pay between 50-55k/yr requiring post-secondary and relevant work experience.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Well, sure, 100k is median for a two-income family sure.

msommers
11-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Well, sure, 100k is median for a two-income family sure.

Sure.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 05:47 PM
So single income median is what, 50k? Did I math that right?

ercchry
11-06-2020, 06:03 PM
So single income median is what, 50k? Did I math that right?

$90k main provider and $10k from pampered chef for second income

Or $80k from AHS, and $20k from casual, seasonal labourer job

Really depends on which part of the city we’re talking

Tik-Tok
11-06-2020, 06:16 PM
$90k main provider and $10k from pampered chef for second income

Or $80k from AHS, and $20k from casual, seasonal labourer job

Really depends on which part of the city we’re talking

$150g and -$60g for Aspen trophy wife's failing business.

$200g and -$110g for alimony and child payments

Disoblige
11-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Firefighter is a much better career than police etc. More downtime when you are working, and enough days off to run a second gig on the side.
Yeah, if you take out the whole statistical probability of dying earlier due to all the carcinogenic fumes one inhales as a career firefighter.

arcticcat522
11-06-2020, 08:38 PM
What do firefighters make? 100k.? Not bad for 8 days a month

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Yeah, if you take out the whole statistical probability of dying earlier due to all the carcinogenic fumes one inhales as a career firefighter.
Is it that high for Canadian firefighters? I didn't think it was. But haven't checked.

It used to be 4 shifts on, 4 days off, then a couple weeks vacation per year. Calgary firefighters are working a different shift this year, but it's the same number of hours.

- - - Updated - - -

8 days a month sounds like working 8x8=64 hours a month, and that makes it sound unreasonably slack.

Disoblige
11-06-2020, 09:07 PM
What's the saying?
Paraphrasing here but something along the lines of you really get to know someone when it's time for them to step up.

Mental health is also a big thing, as it was mentioned already. You see some sick shit sometimes.

Anywho, kinda off topic of this thread as it isn't a baller paying job. Decent pay but that's it.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2020, 09:13 PM
I'll shit-talk nearly every profession, except firefighters and paramedics. They get no greif from me.

killramos
11-06-2020, 09:16 PM
A good friend is a paramedic. Yea it’s a lot of sitting around playing video games. He also puts up with and goes through a ton of shit. And he sure as hell isn’t making bank.

Just one data point.

Disoblige
11-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Is it that high for Canadian firefighters? I didn't think it was. But haven't checked.

Sorry I missed this on my phone, but yes it is bad.
So many nasty fumes in the house. Think of most of the carpets out there and all the nasty compositions in it. One example out of hundreds. It's a risk every call.

arcticcat522
11-07-2020, 06:41 AM

It used to be 4 shifts on, 4 days off, then a couple weeks vacation per year. Calgary firefighters are working a different shift this year, but it's the same number of hours.

- - - Updated - - -

8 days a month sounds like working 8x8=64 hours a month, and that makes it sound unreasonably slack.

What's the saying?
Paraphrasing here but something along the lines of you really get to know someone when it's time for them to step up.

Mental health is also a big thing, as it was mentioned already. You see some sick shit sometimes.

Anywho, kinda off topic of this thread as it isn't a baller paying job. Decent pay but that's it.

Just talking about high paying jobs, that might not be so hot. No pun intended. As a fire fighter, you can eventually have 2 careers. I know of a few who do. Might not be long term though. They do see some shit and That's an understatement. I'm just salty against 24h shifts.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2020, 09:07 AM
They do see some shit and That's an understatement. I'm just salty against 24h shifts.Understandable.

JRSC00LUDE
11-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Call girl in Dubai.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2020, 11:02 AM
Call girl in Dubai.

yes that.

sabad66
11-07-2020, 12:19 PM
Politician

Not enough $ in the world for that job

This is the correct answer

The_Rural_Juror
11-07-2020, 07:34 PM
I think I can beat Farkas, Chu and Magliocca in the city counsel. Probably not Druh. They have good pensions after the first season, right?
Don't really have to do much. Show up once in a while. Decrease speed limits. Add more playground zones. Buy Nenshi a jelly roll once in a while.

riander5
11-07-2020, 10:30 PM
Firefighters make good money, and get there real quick. Like 100k + in 5 years. They also have more vacation than anyone you've ever met. Almost everyone runs a side business of some sort in all their spare time.

Fire fighting in that past I think was a shit job, but now when it comes to fighting fires, they take so many precautions that aside from a building collapsing its pretty safe long term. Full SCBA units, only X amount of hours at a fire, etc.

They do have to go to alot of gruesome first responder incidents though... car crashes, jumpers, etc.

Guy I know goes on 5-6 week long hunts a year, and runs a reno business in the summer. Plus I think at one point (could be city specific) they get a year sabbatical as well.

The_Rural_Juror
11-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Sounds fantastic. Do I need a 6 pack to be a firefighter or will 2 do?

Rat Fink
11-08-2020, 12:27 PM

riander5
11-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Yep, firefighting is a sick gig.

Only downside in my mind is if you are at a busy hall, there are some pretty convincing studies on night shifts and life expectancy.

Other than that... I can't believe how sick of a gig it is. Meanwhile i just earned my 4th week of vacation at my job for 10 years.. jesus

The_Rural_Juror
11-08-2020, 12:45 PM
4th week + flex days + stats = a lot of vacation.

Buster
11-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Are firefighters a big part of our provincial budget, because I'm starting to wonder about what I am hearing here.

ExtraSlow
11-08-2020, 12:53 PM
Fire is paid for municipally.

killramos
11-08-2020, 01:02 PM
Fire is paid for municipally.

Ahh the bastion of fiscal responsibility

dirtsniffer
11-08-2020, 01:02 PM
But yes its a big part and a target of recent reductions.

vengie
11-08-2020, 01:03 PM
Yep, firefighting is a sick gig.

Only downside in my mind is if you are at a busy hall, there are some pretty convincing studies on night shifts and life expectancy.

Other than that... I can't believe how sick of a gig it is. Meanwhile i just earned my 4th week of vacation at my job for 10 years.. jesus

This is only if you’re at a slow hall.

My buddy worked at a hall that averaged almost 4000 calls/ year, most of which are medical (aka overdose) related.
They had “regulars” that called 9-1-1 before intentionally overdosing, they would often show up, need to resuscitate, and come back again the next week to do the same.

Rat Fink
11-08-2020, 01:06 PM

ExtraSlow
11-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Wrong thread guys. This thread is about bad jobs.

revelations
11-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Divorce lawyers pretty much have it the worst - always win in terms of $$$ - but lose mentally and emotionally. The more anger from both sides, the more money they get.

Tower controllers (not ATC) at busiest airports in Canada (YVR, YYZ, etc.) tend to attract select people who are mentally and physically able to handle the demands of the job. In the US, the hiring standards are MUCH lower and they end up with clowns in the tower who would not even be manning Springbank airport in Canada. These people tend to 'go down the tubes' more than those who are properly vetted. NAVCanada does an excellent job on average and is miles ahead of the FAA in the USA.

Anything high up corporate (not board) in a public company also demands a lot and only those with a ruthless attitude towards people can make it. Anyone else will not be happy up there.

Rat Fink
11-08-2020, 01:19 PM

revelations
11-08-2020, 01:30 PM
Hi profile ones (Balfour Der) who defend drunks who kill people behind the wheel have it pretty bad - but again, certain disposition and personality type makes a huge difference.

These people are able to remain disconnected and dispassionate and are able to just focus on the facts of the case.

Darell_n
11-08-2020, 02:04 PM
I'd hate to be a criminal defence lawyer. Your entire role is exploiting loopholes and minimizing the actions of your clients who could be murderers, pedophiles, rapists, and drunks who wipe out families.

My step sister is one and she’s certainly not crying parked in her Range Rover in front of her $2mil ranch house.

The_Rural_Juror
11-08-2020, 02:07 PM
So she's an articling lawyer in training.

Buster
11-08-2020, 02:14 PM
I'd hate to be a criminal defence lawyer. Your entire role is exploiting loopholes and minimizing the actions of your clients who could be murderers, pedophiles, rapists, and drunks who wipe out families.

you get a new car every three months

The_Rural_Juror
11-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Criminals pay well.

SKR
11-08-2020, 07:52 PM
My step sister is one and she’s certainly not crying parked in her Range Rover in front of her $2mil ranch house.

This is the worst brag I've ever seen.