PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Breweries

msommers
11-13-2020, 02:51 PM
As of right now, there are 32 breweries in Calgary! What a time to be alive.

What are some of your guys' favourites places? What specific beers?

I've tried a bunch, and nothing is glaringly bad. As someone who generally does not like sours that knocks out a few (most obviously Dandy), but these are the top picks for me:

- Citizen Brewery: Probably my favourite brewery in Calgary right now. Their place has a chill and welcoming vibe, food is very good, and consistently enjoy their BELMA AND LOUISE NEPA. During the summer they had a Hawaiian inspired beer I liked...can't remember the name sadly.

- '88 Brewing: Fun place albeit very busy and a bit small. Noble Pie is a legit fantastic pizza. I like the Hologram and Night Gallery.

- Last Best Brewing: Excellent food, only tried the Dirty Bird Lager because it's that good, and haven't bothered with others yet. Lots of space, which I appreciate.

- Railyard Brewing: Lots of space, food selection is really small albeit the pretzel was very good. Really liked the Belgian Cherry DIPA IPA and NEIPA IPA - New England.

lasimmon
11-13-2020, 02:54 PM
My top places in town right now are probably:
- Establishment
- Born Colorado
- Banded Peak
- Zero Issue

I like a few beers from each. But really I can go to any tap room and find some good beers. Except a few places I am not a fan of (Annex, Cold Carden are 2)

ThePenIsMightier
11-13-2020, 03:10 PM
I was massively impressed with Good Mood when I went there long before the pandemic started. Even beer styles I don't care for were well made and balanced, there. I'm concerned they may have changed the recipe for their Cream Ale as I've found it tastes different in the last six months and that's a shame, because it was my favorite.

Tool Shed is also great. I spoke to a very friendly shareholder there to learn more about their story. Their People Skills is much better than the rest of their beers, iMO.

Hub Town in Okotoks is a nice spot. All their beer is good with the 1882 Golden Ale standing above. Its production is slightly inconsistent, though. Always good, but sometimes slightly different.

Fahr in Turner Valley is spectacular. Total hole in the wall with zero ambiance, but fuck-me-schnell all their beer is near perfection!! It's also cheap to fill a growler. $60 punch pass fills SIX growlers!

Hard Knox in Black Diamond is also great. Their Grunt Work stands out as excellent. They do produce some experimental donkeys on occasion, but that's normal.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2020, 03:24 PM
I have a connection to someone in the ownership group for Last Best (also Jasper, Banff Ave, Campio and Wood Buffalo). Actually like more of the beers from Banff Ave than Last Best, but agree the Dirty Bird is excellent.

Mitsu3000gt
11-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Hard to pick specific favorite beers as they change but this is how I would rank them for me:

Favorites:

1) Cabin (probably most consistently my favorite and good snack food). They rarely put out a beer I don't like.
2) Establishment
3) Banded Peak - best beer I have ever had was their "Keep the Tips Up" but I haven't seen it in 2 years now.
4) Born Colorado (has got way better over time IMO)
5) 88 - Noble Pie is excellent and I love their Table Beer. Can be really hard to get a table so we usually go elsewhere.
6) Revival Brewcade (I don't know how much beer they actually brew themselves but I like playing the arcade games haha)

Honorable Mention: Uncommon cider - great cider but the place itself needs a lot of work. It might be nicer now, I haven't been in a while.

Good but I didn't love:

- Citizen
- Annex
- Dandy
- High Line
- Cold Garden - busy and extremely limited seating, but you can bring your own food
- Ol Beautiful - also can bring your own food
- Legend 7

Probably would not go back:

- Paddys (garbage IMO - packed with little kids and they were letting them play behind the bar, 1hr wait for average food, beers were not to my tastes). Been a few times, all similar experiences.
- Prairie Dog (pretty good food but did not care for the beers)
- Elite Brewing
- OT Brewing
- All the highly commercialized ones (Village, Mill St, Last Best, Brewsters, Big Rock, Wild Rose, etc.) I see these more as standard pubs at this point, which isn't necessarily bad if you need room for an event or something.

Haven't Been Yet

- Railyard (have had their canned beers and I like them)
- Zero Issue
- Probably several I am forgetting

If you ever head up North, there are some great breweries in the Red Deer / Sylvan / Lacombe area like Troubled Monk, Snake Lake, Blindman, etc.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2020, 03:31 PM
Hawktail in Rimbey is niiocceee

lasimmon
11-13-2020, 03:32 PM
If you like troubled monk in red deer give Red Hart, Bellyhop, or Sawback a try. All a touch above troubled monk who have sort of dropped the last while IMO.

BavarianBeast
11-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Wildrose, without question!

Brownberry - Barracks Brown + Wraspberry Ale

Electric Ave

ercchry
11-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Fahr for a properly brewed German beer is hard to beat. For non-beer, beer. Establishment’s Jamrock ftw. Ol’beautiful is solid all around, cold garden for dogs during the old times (pre-covid) was a good way to spend an afternoon... dandy for sours and some fancier food, it’s great that they all have their own place and not just duplicates of eat other... also the banded peak/born Colorado/cabin area is great for a crawl. Can break it up with some cocktails at confluence and wine at city and country too

Brent.ff
11-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Blindman NEPA is potentially the best beer in the province in my mind.. has converted many a non-hops drinker. Also a huge fan of Establishment's Part Time Model.

never
11-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Fahr for a properly brewed German beer is hard to beat.

This

And I recently had it and really enjoyed the balance and overall flavours of 88 Brewing's Wave Pool IPA.

2Legit2Quit
11-13-2020, 04:21 PM
Cabin is my #1, Super Saturation is just so good, also why I'm on my second keg of it at the moment. I love just about anything they put out.

88 is probably a fallback for me, Night Gallery and Ringpop are right up my alley.

Beyond these 2 it's a flurry of trying various beers from all the other breweries, Collective beer market is great for trying new stuff.

Mitsu3000gt
11-13-2020, 04:24 PM
If you guys prefer buying cans instead of going to the breweries, Oak & Vine (16th ave and Inglewood), CO-OP Liquor (most of them), and Alberta Beer Exchange (10th ave) have a ridiculously good selection of craft beers from all over AB/BC. It's almost overwhelming. Oak & Vine probably has the biggest selection (and they let you mix and match single cans) but they're all good.

Kjonus
11-13-2020, 04:49 PM
My top 3
- Establishment
- Cabin
- Born Colorado

Brent.ff
11-13-2020, 04:49 PM
If you guys prefer buying cans instead of going to the breweries, Oak & Vine (16th ave and Inglewood), CO-OP Liquor (most of them), and Alberta Beer Exchange (10th ave) have a ridiculously good selection of craft beers from all over AB/BC. It's almost overwhelming. Oak & Vine probably has the biggest selection (and they let you mix and match single cans) but they're all good.

Coop sales are pretty much single handedly responsible for my beer tasting adventures

SKR
11-13-2020, 05:21 PM
A guy who used to be my supervisor at work runs Heathen's Brewing. It's all gluten free which is a good option of you're the kind of person where gluten turns you inside out.

Disoblige
06-11-2023, 08:30 PM
I'd only go to Prairie Dog Brewing if it was free.

Beer was watered down (had a flight so tried a bunch), and the BBQ was dry AF. I took 80% of the BBQ home and fed the dogs with it.

Seems like a good place for a work function though, and some OK appetizers/finger food.

ExtraSlow
06-11-2023, 08:36 PM
Yeah I haven't been impressed with Prairie Dog either time I went.

Tik-Tok
06-11-2023, 08:37 PM
I haven't actually been there since before covid, but it was pretty decent back then. That's too bad it went downhill (like most restaurants in Calgary)

Pauly Boy
06-12-2023, 01:03 AM
In no particular order:

Fahr
Zero Issue
Banded Peak
Born Colorado

Been meaning to check out Cabin and Establishment but haven't got around to it yet.

Wildrose and Tool Shed were good pre-covid, haven't been in many moons though...

Blindman NEPA is potentially the best beer in the province in my mind.. has converted many a non-hops drinker. Also a huge fan of Establishment's Part Time Model.

Blindman has some great stuff. Their 5 of Diamonds Pilsner is delicious as well.

bjstare
06-12-2023, 07:03 AM
Seems like a good place for a work function though, and some OK appetizers/finger food.

Interesting. That sounds like the last place you'd want to plan a work function, unless you don't like your coworkers.

ExtraSlow
06-12-2023, 07:07 AM
well it's big and there's a decent amount of parking, and it's in an industrial park where there aren't many other options. Most work functions choose convenience over quality.

davidI
06-12-2023, 07:42 AM
Wildrose, without question!

Brownberry - Barracks Brown + Wraspberry Ale

Electric Ave

Wild Rose is my favourite for the beer, food, building, and staff but this thread has inspired me to try a lot of the new breweries while I'm back in Calgary this Summer!

SJW
06-12-2023, 08:29 AM
Bow River Brewing Riverfest beer is amazing.

Pauly Boy
06-12-2023, 08:30 AM
A heads up - Check the websites before you go if you're planning on food. Places like Zero Issue just have the golf cart snack menu - Chips, peanuts, chocolate bars, etc. We had to run down 32nd to get actual food, lol.

Beer was great though - Love their sours.

2002civic
06-12-2023, 08:35 AM
Cabin
Establishment
Atlas in Airdrie

dirtsniffer
06-12-2023, 08:59 AM
Ol' Beautiful is the best in town.

I have been drinking a bunch of tail gunner lately and they are legit. Fahr is also great, but it's rather far..

Regarding the bump. I've been to prairie dog 3 times, twice the bbq wasn't great. 3rd try it was good.

ercchry
06-12-2023, 09:08 AM
Paddy’s BBQ and Brewery over Prairie Dog, beer is so-so though but it’s close enough to banded/born/cabin that you can just stroll over there for beer before or after

riander5
06-12-2023, 09:51 AM
I like Ol' Beautiful and mostly because they have the Okami Kasu which is one of my favorite beers.

Popped into Cold Garden with the family yesterday, they had a great selection of rotating summer beers.

2002civic
06-15-2023, 09:29 AM
Paddy’s BBQ and Brewery over Prairie Dog, beer is so-so though but it’s close enough to banded/born/cabin that you can just stroll over there for beer before or after

Paddy's closed down this past week.

ExtraSlow
06-15-2023, 10:05 AM
dang, I never made it there.

dirtsniffer
06-15-2023, 11:21 AM
way too many dogs, and dog people at Cold Garden

davidI
06-15-2023, 11:22 AM

Doesn't that make it better?

ThePenIsMightier
06-15-2023, 11:37 AM
Doesn't that make it better?

Never.
Dog-friendly food/drink places can stop sniffing my ass and start eating it. All of those people deserve to gather in the same place, like a cruise ship.
And then that cruise ship needs to be sunk.

BillBurr.gif

Disoblige
06-15-2023, 02:01 PM
White women with large dogs tend to have dirty bare feet.
Just an observation.

SJW
06-15-2023, 02:03 PM

This is what ruins those places for me. Dogs and kids. I go to a bar to avoid all that shit. Last time i went there were asshole kids running around everywhere.

killramos
06-15-2023, 09:35 PM

Yup

Ol B is better, and has tacos, and no/fewer dogs

suntan
06-16-2023, 12:05 PM
Dogs in patios are gross.

asp integra
06-16-2023, 02:26 PM
Dogs = No go for me. Leave 'em at home

killramos
06-16-2023, 03:54 PM
Dogs in patios are gross.

Patio? Cold garden let’s them inside lol

suntan
06-16-2023, 05:46 PM
Patio? Cold garden let’s them inside lol

Wait what? I thought that was not allowed. That's ultra-gross. fuck.

killramos
06-16-2023, 06:59 PM

Believe it.

ThePenIsMightier
06-16-2023, 07:02 PM
Believe it.

No. Embrace it, or else you're the most hate-filled monster who wishes all puppies would get CancerAIDS.
Racist

Tik-Tok
06-16-2023, 07:15 PM

Not just gross, against health regulations.

ThePenIsMightier
06-16-2023, 07:16 PM

Hate crime. Fur Babies.
Dox. Cancelled.

Disoblige
06-17-2023, 12:52 AM
Believe it.
Thanks Naruto.

killramos
06-17-2023, 08:05 AM
Thanks Naruto.

Am I supposed to know who that is?

ExtraSlow
06-17-2023, 08:08 AM
Hate crime. Fur Babies.
Dox. Cancelled.

Snipers

Brent.ff
06-17-2023, 09:31 AM

No, it’s not.

2002civic
06-17-2023, 09:57 AM
I don't mind the odd dog inside or on a patio, but cold garden has turned into an indoor dog park.