PDA

View Full Version : What is sexual harrassment? (split)

suntan
11-11-2020, 01:55 PM
I went to school with the minhas siblings. I don't love all thier beers, but I got no beef with them, I'm down with thier biznazz.

I used to work for a company that made commercials for their products. They sexually harassed the female staff members.

tirebob
11-11-2020, 02:03 PM
I used to work for a company that made commercials for their products. They sexually harassed the female staff members.Sexually harassed like Weinstein style or just hit on them looking for a phone number? There is a pretty large variable in the middle of all that. I have only dealt with the main brother and sister and both have never shown anything but professionalism through and through. I wasn't there so I can't comment but there are tons of people in a company that large so saying "they" is also a little vague.

suntan
11-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Sexually harassed like Weinstein style or just hit on them looking for a phone number? There is a pretty large variable in the middle of all that. I have only dealt with the main brother and sister and both have never shown anything but professionalism through and through. I wasn't there so I can't comment but there are tons of people in a company that large so saying "they" is also a little vague.

"You have great tits"
"Fuck that thong makes your ass look awesome"
"I bet you suck dick like a pro"

That sort of thing.

This is very early on in their beer career - remember those super amateur commercials they used to run? - so it wouldn't surprise me that the sister told the brother to shut the fuck up.

killramos
11-12-2020, 10:42 AM
"You have great tits"

That sort of thing.

This is very early on in their beer career - remember those super amateur commercials they used to run? - so it wouldn't surprise me that the sister told the brother to shut the fuck up.

See but when you picture the sister saying it...

The_Rural_Juror
11-12-2020, 10:45 AM
See but when you picture the sister saying it...

Something like this from a leftist girly mag?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/kimberly-guilfoyle-sexual-harassment-allegations-get-even-darker

her former assistant filed a complaint alleging she “was frequently required to work at Guilfoyle’s New York apartment while the Fox host displayed herself naked, and was shown photographs of the genitalia of men with whom Guilfoyle had had sexual relations"

sabad66
11-12-2020, 05:08 PM
I believe only one person has made that accusation, but ya I kind of agree that he should maybe edit the post to avoid any libel. Google returns beyond threads in a lot of search results especially if you are from Calgary.

suntan
11-13-2020, 12:45 PM
I believe only one person has made that accusation, but ya I kind of agree that he should maybe edit the post to avoid any libel. Google returns beyond threads in a lot of search results especially if you are from Calgary.

It's only libel if it ain't true.

I will say he totally acted proper after that first meeting.

tirebob
11-13-2020, 01:25 PM
It's only libel if it ain't true.

I will say he totally acted proper after that first meeting.So that does beg the question... Is it sexual harassment if a guy takes a chance at getting laid (however crudely worded) but quits when he gets shot down or is that just courting and failing? In my mind sexual harassment is continuing to take things past being told no, not interested. Maybe I am wrong on that? I am old so my perceptions may be a little Gen X rather than Millennial based.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Well, there's a different threshold that needs to be crossed to make it criminal harassment. Typical that would require extended duration, and some kind of unequal power dynamic.

Just "shooting your shot" once isn't going to land you in jail.

The area between those does get confusing.

killramos
11-13-2020, 01:45 PM
So that does beg the question... Is it sexual harassment if a guy takes a chance at getting laid (however crudely worded) but quits when he gets shot down or is that just courting and failing? In my mind sexual harassment is continuing to take things past being told no, not interested. Maybe I am wrong on that? I am old so my perceptions may be a little Gen X rather than Millennial based.

It’s 2020. It’s sexual harassment to look in someone’s general direction the wrong way.

ThePenIsMightier
11-13-2020, 01:47 PM
It’s 2020. It’s sexual harassment to look in someone’s general direction the wrong way.

I hear something about Baby Yoda just committing sexual harassment. And genocide, or something. Maybe both? At least one?
It is the way.

Maybe it was just eating.

suntan
11-13-2020, 02:19 PM
So that does beg the question... Is it sexual harassment if a guy takes a chance at getting laid (however crudely worded) but quits when he gets shot down or is that just courting and failing? In my mind sexual harassment is continuing to take things past being told no, not interested. Maybe I am wrong on that? I am old so my perceptions may be a little Gen X rather than Millennial based.

I'd say the tolerance for these sorts of stunts is far less than it used to be. Also the mob of Twitter can destroy careers in short order now.

tirebob
11-13-2020, 02:43 PM
I'd say the tolerance for these sorts of stunts is far less than it used to be. Also the mob of Twitter can destroy careers in short order now.Oh for sure I agree, but you said he was sexually harassing her and I guess I am asking if he actually "harassed" her or was he just tactless but took the hint. Whether or not tolerance is high or low for specific behaviours, it still is kind of different scenarios. I am not arguing for or against in his defence, but how this all came up does warrant discussion as not unlike twitter, if you happened to have started a mob mentality assassination of someones character, he could get rightfully be pissed if people just accept your assessment of her story to be worse than the actual occurrence. These things can take on a life of their own so I guess I am saying one should be very clear if they are throwing stuff like this around or risk possible libel action.

suntan
11-13-2020, 02:47 PM
Oh for sure I agree, but you said he was sexually harassing her and I guess I am asking if he actually "harassed" her or was he just tactless but took the hint. Whether or not tolerance is high or low for specific behaviours, it still is kind of different scenarios. I am not arguing for or against in his defence, but how this all came up does warrant discussion as not unlike twitter, if you happened to have started a mob mentality assassination of someones character, he could get rightfully be pissed if people just accept your assessment of her story to be worse than the actual occurrence. These things can take on a life of their own so I guess I am saying one should be very clear if they are throwing stuff like this around or risk possible libel action.

Try saying those things to some female employees and see what happens.

What planet do you live on where you think those statements are acceptable in a work situation, sans a strip club?

tirebob
11-13-2020, 02:58 PM

What planet do you live on where you think those statements are acceptable in a work situation, sans a strip club?Not saying you are wrong. Just saying it matters. People say all kinds of shit that pisses me off on a constant basis, but calling people out on a live forum I will not do without some serious consideration to consequences. Look please don't think I am trying to give you a hard time specifically here. It just brought up a bunch of questions that now are rolling around in my head and is drawing me down the rabbit hole.

Rocket1k78
11-13-2020, 04:37 PM
I'd say the tolerance for these sorts of stunts is far less than it used to be. Also the mob of Twitter can destroy careers in short order now.
This! Throwing out allegations like that on an online forum can be just as detrimental because word will get around and next thing you know he's fighting for his livelihood and we all know once you're labelled theres no coming back whether or not you're innocent. Again im not saying this didnt happen but like Bob said theres a lot of grey area and this was also probably over 10 years ago if not more(if youre talking his cheesy commercial days lol)

These things can take on a life of their own so I guess I am saying one should be very clear if they are throwing stuff like this around or risk possible libel action.

but calling people out on a live forum I will not do without some serious consideration to consequences. Look please don't think I am trying to give you a hard time specifically here.
With you 100% Bob and thats why i had to say something initially. This is very serious what he said and the repercussions can be life changing for the Minhas fam if this got spun out of control which can be super easy, haters everywhere lookin for anything to attack with.

lasimmon
11-15-2020, 12:21 AM
"You have great tits"

That sort of thing.

Those comments didn’t seem to bother my male EIT...

The_Rural_Juror
11-15-2020, 12:35 AM
Those comments didn’t seem to bother my male EIT...

I think he is in love with you.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2020, 01:01 AM
if not, fire him.

Tik-Tok
11-15-2020, 09:33 AM

What planet do you live on where you think those statements are acceptable in a work situation, sans a strip club?

I'd agree with this. I think the laws say it has to be numerous events, but IMO a boss (or person in position of power) zero sexual talk/innuendo's should be spoken, ever. Equal co-workers, so long as it's just the "take your shot once" thing, and not in the work environment.

The_Rural_Juror
11-15-2020, 10:57 AM

ThePenIsMightier
11-15-2020, 11:23 AM
Am I to understand that no does not mean "kick her in the teeth"?
Didn't some future leaders at Queen's say that quite awhile ago?

Toilet_X
11-15-2020, 11:46 AM
C'mere ill show ya

finboy
11-15-2020, 12:47 PM
I always went with dont dip the pen in company ink, poor risk mitigation to work in the same industry, never mind at the same company as your significant other in calgary IMO

ExtraSlow
11-15-2020, 12:47 PM
I think many men dip there pen anywhere they can.

ThePenIsMightier
11-15-2020, 01:05 PM
I think many men would fuck the pocket if a fur coat of they were half sure no one was looking.

FtfY

FraserB
11-15-2020, 01:22 PM
FtfY

Is it harassment if they talk dirty to the fur coat first?

ExtraSlow
11-15-2020, 01:42 PM
FtfY

Accurate

ThePenIsMightier
11-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Is it harassment if they talk dirty to the fur coat first?

Only if the fur coat identifies as a triggered millennial