PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Reset My Tire Pressure Light?

Mar
11-16-2020, 08:39 PM
My girlfriend's dad has a Mitsubishi Outlander and changed his wheels over to a set of steel winter rims. The new rims don't have tire pressure monitors in them so now his gauge light is on constantly and it's driving him nuts, how does he turn it off? There should be a way to reset this easily, it's ridiculous to think someone wouldn't change their own wheels.
I tried resetting it with my $10 OBD2 tool but that didn't work. He brought his truck to Auto Value and they couldn't do it neither.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2020, 08:45 PM
The light stays on if it doesn't sense the 4 sensors at the correct pressure. That's not a malfunction.

speedog
11-16-2020, 08:45 PM
Some black electrical tape and you're golden.

ExtraSlow
11-16-2020, 08:53 PM
You coukd disassemble the dash and remove the bulb.

90_Shelby
11-16-2020, 09:04 PM
You likely need to install sensors in the winter rims or the light will stay on. This is the case with a lot of vehicles since TPMS was mandated by law in the US in 2008.

AndyL
11-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Convince him to buy fully loaded winter wheels next time? :angel:

Pretty sure tirebob could resolve this scenario...

Tik-Tok
11-16-2020, 09:28 PM
Cheapest solution is to keep the summer tires in the trunk all winter.

JDMMAN
11-16-2020, 10:06 PM
Mar - You need a specific Mitsu software to "code" out the light. If not, the simplest thing to do would be to have his original TPMS' cloned and installed into the steel wheels

schurchill39
11-16-2020, 10:21 PM
Came for a Mar thread, was not disappointed

Maxx Mazda
11-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Came for a Mar thread, was not disappointed

:clap:

tirebob
11-17-2020, 09:34 AM
It can't just be turned out as it is a safety feature installed by the vehicle manufacturer. The Code it is throwing that trips the light is doing so because the vehicle thinks you have faulty sensors. It has no sensors to read so unless you put properly programmed sensors in the rims, you live with the light or take shit apart and remove it or cover it with something.

ThePenIsMightier
11-17-2020, 10:00 AM
How do I turn off my canary H2S monitor so when I go into the Gas Recovery Unit, it's not bothering me all the time?

ExtraSlow
11-17-2020, 10:09 AM
How do I turn off my canary H2S monitor so when I go into the Gas Recovery Unit, it's not bothering me all the time?

I know people who took their LEL monitor off when it was "too noisy". Not joking.

topmade
11-17-2020, 01:38 PM
My traction control is disabled when the TPMS alert is on so I had to buy a set of sensors for my winters. Didn't bother me that much but wife and daughter drives that car more than me so better to be safe. Check your vehicle if it does this or not, otherwise a nice piece of black tape would do the trick.

rx7boi
11-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Bought my 2013 G37Xs last year and had winters mounted on OEM rims. Didn't know much about TPMS.

Now the lights are on and it probably needs a battery change. I just live with the light for now haha.

ThePenIsMightier
11-17-2020, 02:22 PM
My traction control is disabled when the TPMS alert is on so I had to buy a set of sensors for my winters. Didn't bother me that much but wife and daughter drives that car more than me so better to be safe. Check your vehicle if it does this or not, otherwise a nice piece of black tape would do the trick.

What would motivate a car maker to disable the traction control safety feature when it senses that you may have a low pressure tire condition?

tirebob
11-17-2020, 02:28 PM
What would motivate a car maker to disable the traction control safety feature when it senses that you may have a low pressure tire condition?It is the opposite... When the light is on you are unable to disable the traction control. Helpful when a tire is low for sure, but if all your tires are up to snuff, sometimes you need to turn traction control off. The hill in front of our house is like that. If you have traction control on, sometimes it just bogs down and you can't get up the hill.

ThePenIsMightier
11-17-2020, 02:31 PM
It is the opposite... When the light is on you are unable to disable the traction control. Helpful when a tire is low for sure, but if all your tires are up to snuff, sometimes you need to turn traction control off. The hill in front of our house is like that. If you have traction control on, sometimes it just bogs down and you can't get up the hill.

I don't feel like that's what topmade said.
Are you saying that if TPMS light is on, then the driver cannot disable traction control?

tirebob
11-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Are you saying that if TPMS light is on, then the driver cannot disable traction control?Exactly... Not every car, but some are like that. I think topmade meant that but his description was unclear.

topmade
11-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Are you saying that if TPMS light is on, then the driver cannot disable traction control?

Sorry my bad, I mean the button to turn off traction control is disabled when the TPMS light is on so traction control will be on all the time which probably doesn't matter to most people.

rx7boi
11-17-2020, 03:19 PM
tirebob Would you say that 7 years is about time for TPMS batteries to be changed out?

tirebob
11-17-2020, 03:33 PM
tirebob Would you say that 7 years is about time for TPMS batteries to be changed out?

TPMS batteries cannot be changed out. They are molded in plastic solid state, otherwise moisture etc would be able to work its way in under pressure etc and they would foul in no time. When the batteries die, you replace the entire sensor.

Time frame does vary a lot. For the most part, sensors lie dormant until the car is started or under motion so for some people they can last 10 years or more and other people they die in just a few years. Truthfully I think like any battery, sometimes they just get fucked due to environmental conditions, glitches, etc. I even get brand new ones in box sometimes that the batteries are already dead. Go figure.

dj_rice
11-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Mar.

The Scat of 2020

ThePenIsMightier
11-17-2020, 03:41 PM
Sorry my bad, I mean the button to turn off traction control is disabled when the TPMS light is on so traction control will be on all the time which probably doesn't matter to most people.

Gotcha! That makes more sense. I was about to crack out the "potato" memes for the car companies.

rx7boi
11-17-2020, 04:21 PM
TPMS batteries cannot be changed out. They are molded in plastic solid state, otherwise moisture etc would be able to work its way in under pressure etc and they would foul in no time. When the batteries die, you replace the entire sensor.

Time frame does vary a lot. For the most part, sensors lie dormant until the car is started or under motion so for some people they can last 10 years or more and other people they die in just a few years. Truthfully I think like any battery, sometimes they just get fucked due to environmental conditions, glitches, etc. I even get brand new ones in box sometimes that the batteries are already dead. Go figure.

Ah gotcha. It sounds like I should have swapped out the OEM sensors when I mounted the winters to the OEM wheels last year.

It's been 6 years but I didn't even know how TPMS worked.

tirebob
11-17-2020, 04:25 PM
Ah gotcha. It sounds like I should have swapped out the OEM sensors when I mounted the winters to the OEM wheels last year.

It's been 6 years but I didn't even know how TPMS worked.They are not hard to change out usually. Some vehicles tire and wheels dictate a full dismount but if you have a typical OEM setup, most of them can just be dealt with by breaking the bead and just holding the tire down and changing the sensor. If you put a different one in and the weight is different it may need a balance but if the same sensor is going back in then it should even need that so long as the tire stays on the rim in the same position.