PDA

View Full Version : Longest time at a job before you quit (no package involved)

Pages : [1] 2

speedog
11-19-2020, 11:23 PM
Might be a worthy discussion but then maybe not either - many people never ever quit a job, they'll ride out a crappy situation until a package arrives or be laid off permanently but there must be some out there who have actually quit a job with no package because their mental or physical well being was not worth the stress of staying at that company/job any longer.

I figured for the longest time that I'd be one that would never quit a job and yet I did just that after almost 26.5 years - funny thing is that I would've probably had stayed if it wasn't for my wonderful wife posing the question to me of whether or not I could stick around for another 10 years or so until retirement from that company. What had become the issue for me was stress at the workplace, I was completely happy with my last line of work there (engineering technician), worked with a great crew and had a great supervisor but I had come to hate the company. The incessant internal red tape I had to deal with on a daily basis and the ever growing lack of respect of every employee's value/contributions to the company was taking it's toll on me to the point that I would be pretty much throwing up before I went into work.

My wife's simple question hit me very hard and it took only a few hours one evening to make the decision to pull the plug after 26.5 years - no package, just 2 weeks notice, actually I gave them 3 weeks out of respect for my supervisor. Funny thing is my supervisor was not allowed to spend any company monies on a farewell event because I had resigned even though it was on good terms - it just wasn't on the company's terms. Never the less, the old guy dug some money out of a project and had a little going away event and he probably did that because he had come to despise the same company as well.

One thing is for sure, quitting opened up my eyes to all sorts of new opportunities (none related to the 26.5 career I had had) and much better pay checks as well - I have only worked for myself since leaving and in retrospect, probably should've been doing that all along. What was interesting is the number of funerals I went to in the first 5 years after I quit - people dying either within 2-3 years of retirement or 2-3 years after retirement and 13 years later, of the crew of 16 I was a part of when I quit, 6 are dead.

So what of some of you, have you ever quit a job and how long were you at that company? I'm not talking about those jobs when you were a teenager and didn't give a fuck but an actual job that you saw as a possible career. I'm also not talking about getting laid off or packaged out - you just quit without any sort of a golden handshake, left on your terms and not someone else's terms.

revelations
11-19-2020, 11:49 PM
Many times - vertical and lateral moves within several industries (aviation, survey/land, IT) for various reasons. Longest place I was employed at was 4.5 years - good place too - but I have been contracting for 9 years now and would never have it any other way.

phreezee
11-20-2020, 08:03 AM
3 years, quit and moved to Calgary. Best decision of my life.

SKR
11-20-2020, 08:11 AM
First job out of school was 8 months, second was 11 months. When I started the third job I was worried about a pattern developing and decided to try to last 5 years. Made it to 5.5 years before switching again.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-20-2020, 08:13 AM
4.5 years, was told on a Monday that I was “bringing down the team” and quit Tuesday morning. The “team” left pretty quickly after that and it’s been a revolving door there since.

killramos
11-20-2020, 08:24 AM
3.5 Years

The only way your comp / position ever gets better in Calgary is by leaving and getting a new job, I don’t think I’ve had a “raise” in 6 years.

The years of being a lifer are dead.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2020, 08:36 AM
The years of being a lifer are dead.Accurate.

I've quite a few jobs. I guess my first professional job I quit about 1 year after my company was acquired, maybe 6 years in that company total.
My "best" professional job probably would never have left, but again, company assets were sold, and I went with them, and didn't like the new company, quit about 9 months afer that, but was around 6 years total.
Went into my highest base salary job, but that was the fall of 2014, and the oil ad gas downturn was starting, laid off 1 year and 2 weeks in (got me a hefty 3 weeks severance baby). Been a rollercoaster ever since.

Tik-Tok
11-20-2020, 09:04 AM
18 years.

I worked at one of the better companies in a shitty industry, and the first decade or so was awesome. There were only 7 of us, but we were a well oiled machine who got shit done.

Over the next five we got busier and busier, and overtime was every week (not an extra hour or two per day, but a full day or two per week, which translated to almost everyone working 400-500 OT hours a year), but management wouldn't let us hire anyone else. Then they finally relented, but my boss "couldn't find anyone" (he wasn't even trying). Then we got a contract that made our shiftwork go from shitty but tolerable to ridiculous, without even a penny increase in compensation.

I figured I'd give it a year to see where the cards fell, and started adjusting our finances to make sure I could take a lower wage for a better job. My boss did find two more people, but at that point we needed 4 more. Two out of the nine of us left around the same time. They replaced the two of us with 6. Within the last year, they've hired 8 more on top of that. A testament to how good of a group we had before all this.

They could have saved a lot of money by just keeping us happy, instead of needing the amount of people they have now. But some management can't see past their noses when it comes to long term planning.

A790
11-20-2020, 09:14 AM
6-almost-7 years.

riander5
11-20-2020, 09:49 AM
3.5 Years

The only way your comp / position ever gets better in Calgary is by leaving and getting a new job, I don’t think I’ve had a “raise” in 6 years.

Kind of true. Been at my company for 5 years, had my salary increase 30% over that time (O&G). Although unless a management position magically appears im likely getting inflation type raises from here on out....

Also, my answer to the thread is also 5 years haha

dj_rice
11-20-2020, 10:57 AM
9 years. My first job when I moved to Edmonton, then I kept moving up in positions to finally landing in Parts. Wanted to leave the first time I almost quit, they said they would come back at me with a salary increase, then what they gave me was a slap in the face so gave my 2 weeks and went to another company that gave me way more to start than what the salary increase was at the old place. Just funny how once your gone, they throw offers at you to come back. Nope.

ThePenIsMightier
11-20-2020, 11:35 AM
I guess my answer would be just under two years?
Explanation... Total was almost 9 years but it became a pretty embarrassing place after six years. Losing quite a lot in compensation about 7 years in plus the total lack of stability and terrible work environment meant I pulled the plug about 1.5 - 2 years after that.

adam c
11-20-2020, 11:42 AM
My first ever job I worked at for 6 years until I realized it wasn't a career that I wanted to continue with, over the next few years it was a few jobs that always paid crappy before getting into my current profession, current company it'll be 8 years coming up soon

brucebanner
11-20-2020, 11:54 AM
7 years. Left a contractor to work on the client side.

My superintendent couldn't even be bothered to come see me during my last shift (7 days). Miss some of the people there but best move for me career wise.

pheoxs
11-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Only counting after university:
First job - 1.5 years
Second job - 10 months
Third job - 4.5 years
Self employed the last 3 years

Overall happy with how my career has gone. Have yet to be laid off even through the downturns and each job change was a nice step up. I found within a job I rarely ever got much of a raise. Even when I got my P.Eng. the last company said that was included in my 2% inflation raise ... just not worth staying.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2020, 01:17 PM
I didn't get a raise for my P. Eng. When I got it either. But in my current job it helps make me about 2% less likely to get laid off.

killramos
11-20-2020, 01:26 PM
P.Eng. Not even sure I opened the certificate when I got mine.

They are happy to send me a bigger bill every year since though as a happy acknowledgement.

adam c
11-20-2020, 01:28 PM
... my P. Eng. ...

Ah so that's how you managed to create the 'b' stickers

riander5
11-20-2020, 01:30 PM
What you guys don't have yours framed sitting on your desk to look at all day? With a special pinky ring holder?

ExtraSlow
11-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Hah, I made someone else do that work.

BavarianBeast
11-20-2020, 01:36 PM
5 years was my longest stint working on a promising career with an industry leader. Both my wife and I left our jobs at the time, bought a VW bus and toured west coast Canada/USA. One of the best decisions of our lives for sure, helped us change gears and priorities. Too many successful people I know that worked themselves to death by 55-60. Not the life I want to live. Money’s cool, but it can’t buy time.

flipstah
11-20-2020, 01:49 PM
8 months. First job out of university and went to the oilfields in a 10/4 shift. Essentially I was doing bookkeeping.

It was miserable. Didn't regret quitting.

msommers
11-20-2020, 01:50 PM
4 years of working erratic, unreliable but well paying fieldwork. My boss was pretty mad I decided to go back to school. In hindsight so am I.

revelations
11-20-2020, 02:12 PM
4 years of working erratic, unreliable but well paying fieldwork. My boss was pretty mad I decided to go back to school. In hindsight so am I.

You are unhappy about returning to school to further your career?

killramos
11-20-2020, 02:14 PM

If by further your career you mean go from employed to unemployed

ExtraSlow
11-20-2020, 02:20 PM
To be fair, he was going to end up unemployed either way, although he would have gotten another year or two of well-paying fieldwork.

prae
11-20-2020, 02:37 PM

fuck is this ever depressing. Time to hit a coding bootcamp dude. How much software skill you got?

msommers
11-20-2020, 04:48 PM

It opened doors at CNRL and Imperial Oil. But hiring freezes, IOL Aspen getting shelved and companies restructuring their full-time staff first...opportunities just aren't there. If Aspen was going ahead, they would have hired me already because they told me as such ha. Heavy oil and reservoir characterization is my wheelhouse.

To be fair, he was going to end up unemployed either way, although he would have gotten another year or two of well-paying fieldwork.

Hard to say. Some wellsite guys are getting jobs here and there but it's slim pickings. Some Geosteering guys are still cruising along as per usual which is awesome.

fuck is this ever depressing. Time to hit a coding bootcamp dude. How much software skill you got?

It's not depressing (anymore), it just is what it is honestly. I've really given coding/"data science" all the buzzy shit a real solid effort this year, got Python certificates, etc, but I just have no passion or desire for it at all. Part of changing careers is understanding what you like and don't like.

ThePenIsMightier
11-20-2020, 04:50 PM
P.Eng. Not even sure I opened the certificate when I got mine.

They are happy to send me a bigger bill every year since though as a happy acknowledgement.

I allegedly got mine on the 29th of July and rec'd it on the 4th of August. Got billed for the full month of July in my first year.
That's how quickly I learned where APEGA's priorities are. They also refused to award it to me earlier when for about 6 months of my EIT'edness I worked over 70hr/week. Nope - credit for the exact same 26 weeks as every cream jockey holding down an office chair who couldn't find his way to site, let alone know what to do when he got there.

msommers
11-20-2020, 04:51 PM
They sent you a pin, didn't they? What more do you want!

killramos
11-20-2020, 04:55 PM

I apparently had to attend some stupid ceremony to get the pin.

Did not attend.

ThePenIsMightier
11-20-2020, 04:59 PM

Fuck - I don't recall getting a pin!! What do you know that I don't??!!! I'm getting fucked right on the ass, aren't I?!!!?

Hey, I recall your employment struggles recently and since that other guy (nicely) essentially said "LeArN tO cOdE!!" It got me thinking...
Does anyone in here know how to program PLC control systems or even DCS like DeltaV? It must be a bit rare because those mahfks charge a Brink's Truck of money and it can't be something that is that difficult.

B.Spilner
11-20-2020, 05:00 PM
16 years. Left and started my own company.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2020, 05:01 PM
Have not heard of a pin.

revelations
11-20-2020, 05:44 PM
I've really given coding/"data science" all the buzzy shit a real solid effort this year, got Python certificates, etc, but I just have no passion or desire for it at all. Part of changing careers is understanding what you like and don't like.

Also, do not try to hit a home run. Aim for something you like and then the passion will help you advance in that career/role. Done it several times.

tirebob
11-20-2020, 06:25 PM
I never worked any one job longer than 3 years before opening my own business. I would just eat them up, reach a point where I was never going to get any further than I was and would ask myself if I would be satisfied doing this same job forever, and if the answer was no, and it always was, I would move on.

Recca168
11-20-2020, 06:42 PM
Worked at the same place for 12 years.
Had a great team and was generally pretty happy there. Did look around over the years but didn't really have any incentive to leave. At the end you could tell the department would fold so I decided not to stick around.

Everyone else was offered a package the month after... :banghead:

16hypen3sp
11-20-2020, 07:07 PM
Came out of high school. Partied for a year which was a ton of fun. lol.

Joined the "real world" at a food processing plant (brewing industry) at 19 in operations. I was by far the youngest person there. Did that for exactly 4 years. Left on my own terms to pursue oil sands plant ops. Been doing that for almost 8 years. Told myself when I got hired that I'd do it for 5 years but the economy and lateral moves within has kept me going. Would love to switch to petrochemical at some point tho. Or do something else entirely.

CompletelyNumb
11-20-2020, 09:40 PM

:closed:

I got maybe 5 years in at one place.

03ozwhip
11-20-2020, 09:45 PM
5 years. Left TELUS to become a welder......thats been hit or miss for the last 3 years, especially this year. Like someone else said, I said I'd do it(as a journeyman) for 5 years, I have a bit over 2 years left to move onto something else, maybe get my level one or something.

AndyL
11-20-2020, 10:05 PM
10yrs for that branch, 14 for the company itself.

Downhill spiral, from family owned - owner/president insists on handing you a Christmas bonus every year, to being sold/resold by investment groups quarterly (and Christmas 'bonus' became a card).

Literally put me in the psych ward as it deteriorated into chaos...

Still haven't settled since... Every time I think I've found a direction to move it seems to go to crap too.

brucebanner
11-20-2020, 10:14 PM
5 years. Left TELUS to become a welder......thats been hit or miss for the last 3 years, especially this year. Like someone else said, I said I'd do it(as a journeyman) for 5 years, I have a bit over 2 years left to move onto something else, maybe get my level one or something.

QC? I hear that's a tough place to get rolling currently (like anything I suppose).

The_Penguin
11-20-2020, 10:26 PM
I averaged 3-5 years throughout my career, then 10 years self-employed, and 17 years and counting in my current job.
I'm happy there, and they're happy with me, but no guarantees. With so much IT going "cloud" (though it still needs to be managed) and the economy sucking.
Not going anywhere at my age, I'd be pretty effed if I lost this job.

dirtsniffer
11-20-2020, 10:42 PM
Graduated in 2013. Fortunate enough to stay employed. How the could I go anywhere else.

03ozwhip
11-20-2020, 11:10 PM
QC? I hear that's a tough place to get rolling currently (like anything I suppose).

Ya QC, I hear ya on that too. Best way to do it is to be with a company that has them and force it on them eventually lol nothing wrong with getting the level 1 and having it until something opens up.

Being that im a welder already gives me an edge over these fools without tickets.

speedog
11-21-2020, 12:06 AM

Hah, HELUS was the place I quit as well. A bit of variety after that but have certainly settled into something I enjoy and being my own boss is a bonus.

Xtrema
11-21-2020, 10:28 AM
14 going into 15.

Compensation is decent and job/environment is good enough that never looked elsewhere.

But COVID does put things/outlook into a different perspective beyond just money and things.

As for longest job before quitting is 7 years. Shortest is 8 months.

brucebanner
11-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Ya QC, I hear ya on that too. Best way to do it is to be with a company that has them and force it on them eventually lol nothing wrong with getting the level 1 and having it until something opens up.

Being that im a welder already gives me an edge over these fools without tickets.

For sure. You know, it's important to actually know what you're looking at :rofl:

03ozwhip
11-21-2020, 11:43 AM
For sure. You know, it's important to actually know what you're looking at :rofl:

Don't get me started lol

legendboy
11-21-2020, 05:13 PM
I quit a job I had been at for 10 years over personalities. Hindsight it was a mistake but being insulted in front of our largest customers etc. was just too much for me to take after years of unprofessionalism and insults.

I did get a call back from the owner 7 years later desperate for me to come back and put in another 2 years before a snake in the grass let me go via PIP. Still a little bitter considering I trained my under paid replacement

Kloubek
11-21-2020, 05:20 PM
15 years almost to the day working for FGL Sports. (SportChek). Last couple were brutal, as I was promised career advancement into management but found none.

ExtraSlow
11-21-2020, 05:31 PM
I quit from Forzanis back in the day when they had a discount outlet in Deerfoot mall. When they built the new sport check, the new manager didn't really give me any shifts.
Selling shoes at the discount outlet was fun-ish.

The_Rural_Juror
11-21-2020, 07:52 PM
I quit from Forzanis back in the day when they had a discount outlet in Deerfoot mall. When they built the new sport check, the new manager didn't really give me any shifts.
Selling shoes at the discount outlet was fun-ish.

Dat Al Bundy lyfe.

finboy
11-22-2020, 02:22 AM
A little over 4 years, hit a ceiling as far as available roles for next steps, considering an industry change.

spikerS
11-22-2020, 06:39 AM
A little over 4 years, hit a ceiling as far as available roles for next steps, considering an industry change.

I hear that. The glass ceiling is real at work. For me, it took a complete role change to break through, and for the better. A lot of people say that they have to leave and come back a year or so later, and then for some weird reason things open up and better pay. I am just too chicken shit to do it.

Having said that, I know Speedy is bitter about TELUS, but, I have to say for the most part, I have found it pretty good. I have now been with the company going on 15 years, and don't regret it at all, and don't see myself going anywhere. Before TELUS, I bounced around a lot looking for a good fit, never staying in a company for more than a year.

ShermanEF9
11-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Dang. Lots of ex-TELUS guys in here. I may be heading to TELUS, depending on what the job is (hasn't been set in stone yet)

Been in my industry for about 6 years. Spent 5 at the first company, got tired of the BS, and decided to follow one of the project managers. 8 months at the next, got offered a job with the government here, now I've been almost a year on "the other side." Doing work for the client is amazing. Being government has its upsides too.

dirtsniffer
11-22-2020, 07:15 PM
Nvm

Pauly Boy
11-23-2020, 01:50 PM
10 years at Shanahan's (Now merged into Access SMT) - Commercial hardware sales. FIL was the branch manager, and they needed a guy good with computers since everyone in the office was 50+. Was great until the second set of equity partners bought the place and began to re-shuffle things. Almost walked out on a daily basis but held it together until I found a replacement. Now I'm at the City collecting that sweet sweet pension (and thank god job security). Still haven't used my degree, but maybe I can shift into the GIS/Planning department someday.

hampstor
11-23-2020, 07:44 PM
6 years, 9 months at an integrated energy company in Calgary. I got regular promotions in pay right to when I quit (both during annual cycle and mid cycle as well). I had more responsibilities until 4th year, when I hit a wall. After that it was a revolving door of leadership above me - 5 different direct leaders in 2 years, at least 2 of them said to me when they quit that they "felt like they were keeping the seat warm for me and they kept deferring questions to me about managing the team, work plans, strategy, etc".

Took some time to rethink about what I wanted. Went to my director and said "I'm done with this team and now looking for my next job outside of it. You have 6 months - 1 year tops to knowledge transfer from me".

Best decision ever for 2 reasons:
1) After I made it known within the org that I was looking for my next job, I had a few opportunities within the company from other depts. I had an opportunity to move laterally in Calgary, a promotion into another team in the GTA, and I was tapped on the shoulder to do the "tour of duty" in YMM.
2) I had this opportunity out here in Victoria (posted on beyond asking about people for feedback about it). Said fuck it, thanked them for the opportunity in YMM, took the job in Victoria, and felt like I dodged the biggest bullet ever given what's happening in the energy sector right now.

Total time from when I told my director, to my last day at the company was 5 months, 3 weeks :)

KO22
11-23-2020, 09:51 PM
A month and a half..

Rat Fink
11-27-2020, 10:15 PM

schurchill39
11-27-2020, 10:22 PM
My last job was just a smidge over 9 years. I thought I was going to be a lifer at that company but things changed pretty drastically. Thankfully the skillset I learned there gave me something to lean on while I learned other aspects of dat contractor lyfe.

P.S I asked for a package multiple times as they were giving them out around the time I finally pulled the pin but either they wanted me to stay, or knew I was going to leave regardless. My guess is the latter.

kvg
11-27-2020, 10:59 PM
7 years, then rage quit, then a year later they asked me back with a better position then another 7.

max_boost
11-28-2020, 10:51 PM
25 years and 4 months and still going lol have walked out several times only to go back cuz I’m useless in the real world.

davidI
11-29-2020, 05:53 AM
I just pulled the pin on the job I've been doing for the last 14 years, ever since graduating University.

There were some location changes and even company changes but the job/project was more or less the same.

Not sure if I've retired or if I'll try to find another job in the future but I knew it was time and have no regrets thus far. Still need to transition out over the next few weeks but hopefully everything will end on good terms and they'll be able to fill the gap I'm leaving.

ExtraSlow
11-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Interested to hear the next chapter davidI.

The_Rural_Juror
11-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Retiring in your 30's. That's some Fat FIRE. Good job davidI!!

ThePenIsMightier
11-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Retiring in your 30's. That's some Fat FIRE. Good job davidI!!

30's?
Is this guy Doogie Howser, or are you doing Marth?

Edit - no. I am Marth of the Marth century... RoFL!!!

The_Rural_Juror
11-29-2020, 11:50 AM
We are all Marths.

davidI
11-30-2020, 04:24 AM
Retiring in your 30's. That's some Fat FIRE. Good job @davidI (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=588)!!

Thanks man. Goal was to FIRE at 35 but ended up waiting until 36... seems like terrible timing as far as the asset bubble we're currently in but I'll spend the next year sorting out a portfolio that will hopefully be defensive enough until valuations regress to the mean. Worst case scenario, I find a side-hustle that I enjoy to make a little cash on the side if the next decade's returns are as terrible as I expect them to be.

The Cosworth
11-30-2020, 08:48 AM
First job out of school was 8 months, second was 11 months. When I started the third job I was worried about a pattern developing and decided to try to last 5 years. Made it to 5.5 years before switching again.

Yep sounds like me, I struggled my first year out of School. First job was 11 months, second was 6. Third company has been 12.5 years so far, 6 jobs in the company, all promotions, but still. Longest ever position was 4.5 years though.

Buster
11-30-2020, 09:00 AM
Thanks man. Goal was to FIRE at 35 but ended up waiting until 36... seems like terrible timing as far as the asset bubble we're currently in but I'll spend the next year sorting out a portfolio that will hopefully be defensive enough until valuations regress to the mean. Worst case scenario, I find a side-hustle that I enjoy to make a little cash on the side if the next decade's returns are as terrible as I expect them to be.

Yeah I think a lot of peoples fire plans got screwed up by zirp

ExtraSlow
11-30-2020, 09:02 AM
I'm on the "financial ineptitude, retire ever?" plan.

Buster
11-30-2020, 09:04 AM
I'm on the "financial ineptitude, retire ever?" plan.

You've said that before but I don't believe it. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

ExtraSlow
11-30-2020, 09:06 AM
Hah, well, I can retire the day my wife's sweet sweet public sector pension kicks in. I guess that will make her financially independent, and me very dependent.

The_Rural_Juror
11-30-2020, 09:34 AM
You've said that before but I don't believe it. You seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

Werd

killramos
11-30-2020, 10:48 AM
Hah, well, I can retire the day my wife's sweet sweet public sector pension kicks in. I guess that will make her financially independent, and me very dependent.

Kinky

vengie
11-30-2020, 11:04 AM

This is the way...

ExtraSlow
11-30-2020, 11:06 AM
More people on beyond.ca are using this strategy than they would like to admit.

vengie
11-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Why do you think I'm firmly on the "Teachers aren't paid enough" wagon.

Someone needs to bring home the bacon.

Oil and gas services is certainly not the way.

schurchill39
11-30-2020, 01:04 PM

"Please lord give me one more oil boom. I swear I won't piss it away this time!"

At least that's what I say every night before bed as I came into the industry during a boom and pissed it all away....

killramos
12-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Working in Oil and Gas is basically being the garbage man in 2020, except without the Pension.

No one likes the idea of it, but they are sure happy when the warm juice shows up at their house and is available to move their cars.

It really is a public service :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
12-01-2020, 12:31 PM
I am starting to think that I would like to be a teacher.

Xtrema
12-01-2020, 02:01 PM
More people on beyond.ca are using this strategy than they would like to admit.

I'm waiting for UBI.

flipstah
12-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Ever wanted a ethnic step-son?

killramos
12-01-2020, 03:12 PM

If he says no he’s a racist.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2020, 03:15 PM

you know the answer is yes.

AndyL
12-01-2020, 04:05 PM
I am starting to think that I would like to be a teacher.

Screw that, I wanna answer phones at alberta works. That seems like a great job with lots of upward mobility these days.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2020, 04:09 PM
Screw that, I wanna answer phones at alberta works. That seems like a great job with lots of upward mobility these days.

IT department at Alberta Disability Supports is also a paragon of job satisfaction and efficiency.

killramos
12-01-2020, 05:32 PM
You are all wrong. The best city job is getting paid union money and pension to work at the dump.

ercchry
12-01-2020, 06:05 PM
The best public sector job is the one where you can work minimal time before claiming stress leave, and get 75% of salary from a non-taxable disability benefit forever... well 65, but still. Wtf

ExtraSlow
12-01-2020, 06:09 PM
You are all wrong. The best city job is getting paid union money and pension to work at the dump.

I would totally work in waste services.

bjstare
12-01-2020, 06:29 PM

Spoken like a guy who's never actually been to a dump.

I mean, they don't smell as bad as a feed lot, but they're pretty fucking gross.

speedog
12-01-2020, 06:35 PM

I mean, they don't smell as bad as a feed lot, but they're pretty fucking gross.

He was talking about the city hall.

ercchry
12-01-2020, 06:42 PM

Drop n go is pretty clean... could be the guy who takes the job of pointing at which station you should go to very seriously, always such deep thought put into it. Very rewarding :rofl:

ExtraSlow
12-01-2020, 06:42 PM
The dump may smell, but it's less objectionable then many jobs.

killramos
12-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Are you kidding? The guy who points you to which bin to dump your crap into? Amazing Job.

Have you been to the dump this decade? You know you don’t back up to a heap of garbage anymore right?

- - - Updated - - -

Drop n go is pretty clean... could be the guy who takes the job of pointing at which station you should go to very seriously, always such deep thought put into it. Very rewarding :rofl:

This

speedog
12-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Are you kidding? The guy who points you to which bin to dump your crap into? Amazing Job.

Have you been to the dump this decade? You know you don’t back up to a heap of garbage anymore right?

Several times to the dump this year already and not once to the throw and go, always to the big heap. Even in past years, it's almost always to the big heap.

killramos
12-01-2020, 07:03 PM
I think I have been 4 or 5 times this year junking crap from the new house and renos. Always throw and go at Beacon Hill.

Who’s anecdotal story is more valuable? Tough to say... but I’d say 4-5 beats several? :rofl:

Maybe the old age got to you and you ignored/didn’t hear the instructions and just kept driving?

Buster
12-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Jesus...you guys are discussing the merits of the various jobs at the dump? Can we jsut merge this with the Covid depression thread?