PDA

View Full Version : SPLIT: Garage studs, slabs, and sealing

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 01:53 PM
whatever you do, don't do like mine and build without a pony wall. Studs are right on the slab. Gross and causes a lot of issues.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-08-2020, 02:20 PM
whatever you do, don't do like mine and build without a pony wall. Studs are right on the slab. Gross and causes a lot of issues.

x2, pony wall is a must. Studs on slab are a pain in the dick. I need a lift kit for my garage.

pheoxs
12-08-2020, 02:21 PM

Yup, plus you can use a 8 foot garage package but get a 10 foot garage height. 100% Worth it.

ottamania
12-08-2020, 02:22 PM
got it thanks! which contractor to pick?

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 02:27 PM
x2, pony wall is a must. Studs on slab are a pain in the dick. I need a lift kit for my garage.

No word of a lie, if this was a thing, I would totally do it. My garage is fuxxored from the stud-on-slab bullshit. Not to mention the odyssey tailgate nearly hits the top of the door.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2020, 02:32 PM
If you guys have studs on the slab that are getting gross, try coating them in this near the floor:

https://liquidrubber.ca/products/liquid-rubber-waterproof-sealant?variant=4274483140

Mine has the proper graded concrete "tub" but I do have 2 wooden studs alongside the garage door and I coated them in that to stop them from getting wet & salty in the winter. It's also just a cool product to have on hand for various DIY things.

ThePenIsMightier
12-08-2020, 02:53 PM
WtF?! The bottom plate of the walls is supposed to be pressure treated, by code, isn't it? Why are you guys having so many problems?
While I agree the pony wall is way better, my old garage was fine for more than a decade before I moved.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 03:01 PM
It being pressure treated helps only a little. you should come hang out in my garage and check it out. I'll play a little phil collins, dim the lights . . . .

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2020, 03:03 PM
WtF?! The bottom plate of the walls is supposed to be pressure treated, by code, isn't it? Why are you guys having so many problems?
While I agree the pony wall is way better, my old garage was fine for more than a decade before I moved.

Maybe it is, but it still gets gross & wet if it's just bare wood sitting in water and salt all day in the winter. Most pressure treated wood is brown these days too, maybe some people only associate it with the old green stuff. I helped my parents re-do some of their planter boxes originally made with pressure-treated wood a long time ago and they were so rotten you could pull he wood apart with your hands.

90_Shelby
12-08-2020, 03:16 PM
I drilled a few holes in the pad where I had water pooling near the wall. Problem fixed.

ThePenIsMightier
12-08-2020, 03:17 PM
I guess mine was sloped adequately away from the walls that mine never soaked in water.
Seems easy enough to design for, still.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 03:35 PM
I'm sure if you pick the right garage builder, this is less of an issue, and hey you know what? that's what the OP was asking before some asshole derailed this thread with discussions of stud-on-slab construction.

I don't even know who built mine, so I can't tell you who to avoid.

ThePenIsMightier
12-08-2020, 03:52 PM
It being pressure treated helps only a little. you should come hang out in my garage and check it out. I'll play a little phil collins, dim the lights . . . .

StewieGriffinHalfPackOfRolaids.mp4

BerserkerCatSplat
12-08-2020, 03:58 PM
No word of a lie, if this was a thing, I would totally do it. My garage is fuxxored from the stud-on-slab bullshit. Not to mention the odyssey tailgate nearly hits the top of the door.

It's technically possible, I've seen it done in Calgary. You jack up the whole garage and add a course or two of block wall where the pony wall would usually go. You end up reframing your doors and extending utilities so there's some complications but it's doable.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308011&showall=1

Imagine that, but with a cinderblock wall instead of the wooden knee wall.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2020, 04:14 PM
You can move entire garages, at least in some capacity. My friends did it in Kelowna to make room for a pool and it cost them about $5K, so I don't see why you couldn't also raise it once it's on the move. I suspect theirs was a more simple operation than a typical Calgary home though.

prae
12-08-2020, 04:19 PM
It's technically possible, I've seen it done in Calgary. You jack up the whole garage and add a course or two of block wall where the pony wall would usually go. You end up reframing your doors and extending utilities so there's some complications but it's doable.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308011&showall=1

Imagine that, but with a cinderblock wall instead of the wooden knee wall.

Yeah guy by me just off 10st NW by the Queens Park cemetary did this last summer and poured a knee wall. I didn't get to see much of the pour but it turned out great.

There's also a video series I've seen of this type of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UrPr7avsY

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 04:26 PM
Be a little bigger hassle since my garage is a duplex with my neighbour. Damned inner-city infills. I only talk to that dude about twice a year too. Maybe I'd have to increase the communication to make that work, lol.

killramos
12-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Be a little bigger hassle since my garage is a duplex with my neighbour. Damned inner-city infills. I only talk to that dude about twice a year too. Maybe I'd have to increase the communication to make that work, lol.

This is the way

In other news anyone have advise for refinishing a near destroyed 70 year old garage floor? Cracked and chipping near every inch.

A levelish solid slab would be such a novel concept....

prae
12-08-2020, 04:30 PM

ah. Interesting point- i'd always thought of those garages as a "bonus" rather than a liability but I see why in this scenario that is not true.

Here's a crazy idea- what if you replaced the bottom two feet of wallboard (or if you dont have drywall, even better, zero demo needed) with a cement board (ie. durock or similar) and just threw up a bricklay pattern of the cheapest, nearly-cement-coloured tiles you could find? Similar benefits to a stem/pony wall but none of the crazy structural changes needed.

If you're finding the sheathing and the framing are wicking up water from surrounding landscape, then that's a different problem of course, my frou frou tile-your-garage-idea will not help a lick.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 04:32 PM
Cut it out and repour. I've seen that topping shit not last a year.

killramos
12-08-2020, 04:33 PM
60 WTI so I can just demo and rebuild is the real answer.

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 04:34 PM
60 WTI so I can just demo and rebuild is the real answer.

I support this, especially if it comes with $3 AECO

firebane
12-08-2020, 04:35 PM
I got super lucky with my shop as 3 of the 4 walls have a small pony wall and the 4th is where the doors are.

Also because of the roof shape I want to say its either a 8" or 10" wide wall and is double studded.

They did a lot of good things and some really stupid things in my shop.

killramos
12-08-2020, 04:40 PM
I support this, especially if it comes with $3 AECO

Heck let’s throw some propane north of a dollar a gallon while we are at it

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Heck let’s throw some propane north of a dollar a gallon while we are at it
Gettign wildly off topic, but since this entire thread is my off-topic derail of the original legit thread, fuck it.
Do you remember when methane was valuable? Drilling in places like Horn River for dry (and lightly acid/sour) gas? Fuck those were fun projects. and as a former production engineer, let me tell you dry gas fields are a joy to operate.

killramos
12-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Gettign wildly off topic, but since this entire thread is my off-topic derail of the original legit thread, fuck it.
Do you remember when methane was valuable? Drilling in places like Horn River for dry (and lightly acid/sour) gas? Fuck those were fun projects. and as a former production engineer, let me tell you dry gas fields are a joy to operate.

Fairy tale nonsense

ExtraSlow
12-08-2020, 04:46 PM
I suppose at a low enough gas rate, every well acts like it's liquids rich . . . . I have experience with that too. Damn I had some good times.

AndyL
12-08-2020, 04:51 PM
If I go dig in my Google photos... I think I have before/after for a 1brick pony wall conversion. Was up in skyview...

Basically they jacked the garage up off level, cut the studs leaving exterior sheeting, installed a new sill, laid a course of brick, pinned. 3 days later they lowered one side and did the other half. Bunch of extra framing was done inside before jacking it up.

88CRX
12-08-2020, 04:59 PM
If I go dig in my Google photos... I think I have before/after for a 1brick pony wall conversion. Was up in skyview...

Basically they jacked the garage up off level, cut the studs leaving exterior sheeting, installed a new sill, laid a course of brick, pinned. 3 days later they lowered one side and did the other half. Bunch of extra framing was done inside before jacking it up.

I can just imagine some/most garage 'contractors' attempting a similar feat hah.

cyra1ax
12-08-2020, 05:10 PM
got it thanks! which contractor to pick?

Definitely not the one I picked.

AndyL
12-08-2020, 05:20 PM
I can just imagine some/most garage 'contractors' attempting a similar feat hah.

There's a few good ones out there, lots of bored as fuck construction guys if one wanted to PM it yourself - it's all subtrade work... But yeah it wouldn't be cheap - it was fiddly as fuck, garage door didn't come out originally but I ended up peeling it out and reinstalling from scratch as everything had moved just enough to be a pain in the ass.

G-ZUS
12-09-2020, 12:10 AM
I had this problem. Had a guy come in, build temporary walls down the middle and cut out the bottom of the walls/pour a pony wall. Cost me $3000 with a new apron poured.

ThePenIsMightier
12-09-2020, 12:47 AM
I had this problem. Had a guy come in, build temporary walls down the middle and cut out the bottom of the walls/pour a pony wall. Cost me $3000 with a new apron poured.

As long as it wasn't a supporting column, I assume...
Oh, too soon!
I'm sorry! That was dirty pool!

G-ZUS
12-09-2020, 09:01 AM
As long as it wasn't a supporting column, I assume...
Oh, too soon!
I'm sorry! That was dirty pool!

Oh it was

finboy
12-09-2020, 11:43 AM
Yeah guy by me just off 10st NW by the Queens Park cemetary did this last summer and poured a knee wall. I didn't get to see much of the pour but it turned out great.

Fucking LOL, pretty sure that was off syty.net, I almost bought that house but an offer got put in before ours.

prae
12-09-2020, 11:50 AM
Fucking LOL, pretty sure that was off syty.net, I almost bought that house but an offer got put in before ours.

that video? I happened to go to school with Lucas, which is how I know of the series. Pretty bonkers squeezing a HAAS into your garage lol

finboy
12-09-2020, 11:53 AM
that video? I happened to go to school with Lucas, which is how I know of the series. Pretty bonkers squeezing a HAAS into your garage lol

Sorry not the YouTube vid, there was a house right off queens park that had a very similar garage/house design to berserker’s post, garage had 10 foot ceilings that looked waaaay out of spec for the home so I figure it had to be something like the lift thread he posted.

Sadly with my new garage it is half submerged in a hill, likely a roof chop will be needed

JRSC00LUDE
12-09-2020, 12:53 PM

But it is a thing, just get someone to lift your garage then form and pour a foot tall concrete curb to set it back down on. Engineering optional! It's easier than several member's collective mom!

ExtraSlow
12-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Holy fuck I should probably do this. Wonder what the zoning is on garage height?

JRSC00LUDE
12-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Holy fuck I should probably do this. Wonder what the zoning is on garage height?

Your garage height won't change, it's just sitting on a footing. I am not aware of any bylaw restrictions on footings.....can't even imagine needing a permit for just doing a little concrete work.....

prae
12-09-2020, 01:49 PM

Yeah if you do it the way G-ZUS described, you're effectively making the framed portion of your wall shorter. You don't have to change the height of the building.

That said, it would be difficult to pour a footing without raising the whole garage- which, if it's attached to your neighbour's garage, is gonna be tough.

maximum height for an accessory building is 15' from finished floor.
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-building-and-renovations/garages-and-sheds.html?redirect=/garage#:~:text=Height,4.6%20m%20(15%20ft.)
https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/www/pda/pd/publishingimages/home-improvement-hub/garages/garage-image-3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

eh- maybe pouring a stub wall without raising the garage wouldn't be that hard. you could just pour concrete into the wall cavity basically (you've cut off the bottom plate and x inches from the studs)

G-ZUS has proven structural engineering know-how and a do-it-ive-toitiveness so I trust their assessment completely. Do it.

ExtraSlow
12-09-2020, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I'd need to get the neighbor involved for this. It's less "attached" to my neighbors garage, and more "it's a 4 car garage, with a dividing wall down the middle". Maybe I'll talk to them. If the whole thing could be 12" taller that would be awesome, but I haven't measured the height of it yet.
I would (of course) be going pretty slow on this. I haven't seen that neighbor in four months or more.

benyl
12-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Holy fuck is this guy annoying.

Did he do it right? He doesn't have studs that go from top to bottom. I feel like those walls could scissor.

benyl
12-10-2020, 10:28 AM
maximum height for an accessory building is 15' from finished floor.
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-building-and-renovations/garages-and-sheds.html?redirect=/garage#:~:text=Height,4.6%20m%20(15%20ft.)
https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/www/pda/pd/publishingimages/home-improvement-hub/garages/garage-image-3.jpg

I wonder if you can apply for a relaxation. With an 8ft ceiling height and a 3:12 roof, one would be around 12 ft already. Raising it 2-3 ft would put you at the max. I have a garage that I would want to raise 4ft. Not sure if I could do it within the spec required. Have to double check the roof height.

ExtraSlow
12-10-2020, 10:46 AM
There must be a way to get a relaxation, my mothers garage is like 16 feet tall. It's a beast.

88CRX
12-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Pretty sure you can get it relaxed through a Development Permit application.... ie: a hope you're neighbors like you application

prae
12-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Pretty sure you can get it relaxed through a Development Permit application.... ie: a hope you're neighbors like you application

Can't confirm if this is correct but I can share that a discretionary DP/BP is going to cost you thousands. 5-8k total. You'd have to really want a garage taller than 15'.

There's a place up for sale on Bowness Rd in Hillhurst that has a 15' tall slant roof garage and it's already a behemoth. I'd argue it's too tall already; it blocks the sun in the backyard.

benyl
12-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Can't confirm if this is correct but I can share that a discretionary DP/BP is going to cost you thousands. 5-8k total. You'd have to really want a garage taller than 15'.

There's a place up for sale on Bowness Rd in Hillhurst that has a 15' tall slant roof garage and it's already a behemoth. I'd argue it's too tall already; it blocks the sun in the backyard.

We are doing a full gut renovation of the house. I'll included it in the same DP application, so it should be "free."