PDA

View Full Version : Crazy hoonigan STI stunts

KLCC
12-12-2020, 05:54 PM
That gotta be the craziest video I have seem coming from the hoonigan.....Travis definitely got a pair of iron balls.

https://youtu.be/32I0Qso4sDg

revelations
12-12-2020, 06:53 PM
wow, 3 wheels on the dock and 1 over the edge - ken cock would definitely put it in the drink at that point

firebane
12-12-2020, 07:06 PM
wow, 3 wheels on the dock and 1 over the edge - ken cock would definitely put it in the drink at that point

He did that as a show off to Ken because in one of the earlier Gymkanas Ken did the exact same thing but just kind of put the tire off.

- - - Updated - - -

That gotta be the craziest video I have seem coming from the hoonigan.....Travis definitely got a pair of iron balls.

https://youtu.be/32I0Qso4sDg

You might want to watch the other Gymkana series. This wasn't that great.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2020, 07:59 PM
High production value stunt driving is cool, but kinda leave me feeling cold. I don't think they do hundreds of takes, but it wouldn't look different if they did.

arcticcat522
12-12-2020, 08:48 PM
The other videos look like they may take more skill, but jumping a car that far/fast would be dam scary.

firebane
12-12-2020, 10:57 PM
The other videos look like they may take more skill, but jumping a car that far/fast would be dam scary.

The last big jump they did if you watch carefully the landing hit something like 269 feet.

Maxx Mazda
12-13-2020, 07:24 AM
I watched the “build biology” for that car. It’s nuts. Active aero, and Travis could control the angle of the rear duckbill with the handbrake, in order to keep the car level in the air for that jump.

arcticcat522
12-13-2020, 08:56 AM
thats nuts in a car that you have practically no control over once it leaves the ground. Plus what speed was he going?

- - - Updated - - -

Watch it on YouTube? Or what?

firebane
12-13-2020, 11:03 AM
thats nuts in a car that you have practically no control over once it leaves the ground. Plus what speed was he going?

- - - Updated - - -

Watch it on YouTube? Or what?

Literally in the first post.

He was shown at times to be doing over 144mph.

arcticcat522
12-13-2020, 11:22 AM
i was referring to the "build biology." Quote didn't work on the edit. If that's there too, I missed it. Watched while walking the dog and it was cold last night.

firebane
12-13-2020, 11:51 AM
i was referring to the "build biology." Quote didn't work on the edit. If that's there too, I missed it. Watched while walking the dog and it was cold last night.

Yeah build biology is on their Youtube channel.

arcticcat522
12-13-2020, 11:52 AM
Sweet. Will watch tonight on the walk. Thanks

Masked Bandit
12-13-2020, 12:39 PM
How many sets of tires do they burn through for what gets edited down to 10 minutes of video?

civic_stylez
12-14-2020, 11:57 AM
How many sets of tires do they burn through for what gets edited down to 10 minutes of video?

As someone who works for Yokohama, I can tell you that it is A LOT. He ran a mix of the A052 and V601 Advans for the video. The A052 is a 200 treadwear tire so being spun that hard and that fast puts a lot of stress on the compound.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-14-2020, 01:43 PM
A052 don’t last long at the best of times but they are fast.

revelations
12-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Now I want to see the outtakes.

pheoxs
12-14-2020, 02:55 PM
I like this one more tbh. Rx7 gets lighter each race as it loses more pieces haha

n8_2rWB5vRw

Xtrema
12-14-2020, 03:14 PM
You might want to watch the other Gymkana series. This wasn't that great.

The only cool part is the town, Annapolis MD.

Love that historic vibe in that town.

firebane
12-14-2020, 03:35 PM
I like this one more tbh. Rx7 gets lighter each race as it loses more pieces haha

n8_2rWB5vRw

Watching Rob build that car and go through all the shit he went through is nuts. The fact that car was untested and did that well against the Hoonicorn should speak volumes.

I truly hope Rob gets that car sorted because it will be a complete animal to drive.

90_Shelby
12-14-2020, 04:00 PM
I liked the race against the RS3 better, and it amazes me how fast the car is and how close to stock it is for an 8 second car. I’m pretty sure if the guy wasn’t so sleepy on the light he would have won that round.

The RX7 is bad ass though and it’s too bad it wasn’t sorted before he showed up.

taemo
12-14-2020, 04:31 PM
guy needs to make a cameo on F&F movies

finboy
12-15-2020, 08:15 AM
I liked the race against the RS3 better, and it amazes me how fast the car is and how close to stock it is for an 8 second car. I’m pretty sure if the guy wasn’t so sleepy on the light he would have won that round.

The RX7 is bad ass though and it’s too bad it wasn’t sorted before he showed up.

You catch the video on the rs3 owners shop? He has the same 5 cyl in his 80’s Audi quattro, it is nuts.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-16-2020, 02:46 PM
You catch the video on the rs3 owners shop? He has the same 5 cyl in his 80’s Audi quattro, it is nuts.

That's bonkers, good thing it has a cage, it must be an absolute animal.

spike98
12-16-2020, 04:23 PM
High production value stunt driving is cool, but kinda leave me feeling cold. I don't think they do hundreds of takes, but it wouldn't look different if they did.

You can tell from the skid marks in the scene. Some they were first take for sure. Some they had tried a few. Very few i saw that looked like they did many many takes.

Ca_Silvia13
12-16-2020, 04:36 PM
You can tell from the skid marks in the scene. Some they were first take for sure. Some they had tried a few. Very few i saw that looked like they did many many takes.

Scotto did a pod cast on Smoking Tire. They did 4 takes of the high speed jump.

spike98
12-16-2020, 04:43 PM
Scotto did a pod cast on Smoking Tire. They did 4 takes of the high speed jump.

Thats crazy :nut:

firebane
12-16-2020, 04:59 PM

Watch this series... It's crazy.

https://www.hoonigan.com/blogs/climbkhana-season-1/ken-block-s-climbkhana-two-914hp-hoonitruck-on-chinas-most-dangerous-road-tianmen-mountain

finboy
12-16-2020, 05:27 PM
That's bonkers, good thing it has a cage, it must be an absolute animal.
Brian Scotto from hooligans is having them build an og 20v for his Quattro coupe and a 07k 5 cyl for his 944 (boost brothers on YouTube make a kit to fit it in there). Not gonna lie, after hearing a straight piped 07k in a 944 I was tempted to sell the forester, the 944 would look so period correct with my place :rofl:

Skip to just before 9:00

https://youtu.be/nriNmMezRs8

BerserkerCatSplat
12-16-2020, 07:11 PM
Brian Scotto from hooligans is having them build an og 20v for his Quattro coupe and a 07k 5 cyl for his 944 (boost brothers on YouTube make a kit to fit it in there). Not gonna lie, after hearing a straight piped 07k in a 944 I was tempted to sell the forester, the 944 would look so period correct with my place :rofl:

Damn that must sound glorious in person. Also, brave of you to imply that Scotto is ever going to actually make progress on that Audi. :rofl:

Buster
12-16-2020, 07:24 PM
I dont get why 4 cylinders sound like crap, V-6s sound like crap...but 5 cylinders sound awesome.

ExtraSlow
12-16-2020, 07:36 PM

Nah, I mean, wait, no, forget it, I meant what I said.

finboy
12-16-2020, 07:46 PM
Damn that must sound glorious in person. Also, brave of you to imply that Scotto is ever going to actually make progress on that Audi. :rofl:

Suppyvisor seems to help, scotto has the most interesting ideas but they never transform from ideas to functioning vehicles lol

I dont get why 4 cylinders sound like crap, V-6s sound like crap...but 5 cylinders sound awesome.

Even my parents eurovan 10v sound at least interesting, shame more companies don’t work with 5 cyl.

From reddit:

Every engine makes two tones simultaneously. These tones are always the same pitch interval apart (octave, major tenth, etc.), and they slide up and down together with RPM always maintaining the same interval apart.
The bottom note is constant through every type of engine for a given RPM. It’s the top note that changes (and therefore the interval to that constant bottom note) depending on the cylinder count.
On 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 cylinder engines, the top pitch is one octave up from the bottom pitch (from, say, a C to the next C up on a piano. 12 semi-tones apart).
5 and 10 cylinder engines produce two pitches a major 10th apart (from a C, past the next C to an E. 16 semi-tones apart). These are the best and most interesting sounding to me because it’s the richest sounding interval.
3, 6, and 12 cylinder engines have their top tone a perfect 12th up from the bottom tone (from a C, past the next C to a G. 19 semi-tones.).
Theoretically, a 7 or 14 cylinder engine would produce a slightly-flat minor 14th interval (from a C, past the next C to a B-flat. About 22 semi-tones apart.):
What this means is that at a given RPM, that loud top tone of a V12 creates a higher pitch than a V10 at the same RPM, which makes a higher pitch than a V8. It’s one of the reasons those Ferrari and Lamborghini V12s just scream.

If anyone is interested in hearing some examples, the road cars all have about the same redline (8.5k RPM) and the F1 cars have the same redline (19k RPM) but you can hear how the upper pitch is higher at the moment before they shift at redline going from the 8 to 10 to 12 cylinder engines. The bottom pitch at redline is the same through all the engine types.
The top note of the F1 V8 is E-flat at redline but the F1 V10 is the G above that for the same RPM. (The bottom note is of course the E-flat am octave below at redline.)

zipdoa
12-17-2020, 02:37 PM
4-cylinder motors can sound good. There's a lot more influencing the sound of an engine than just the cylinder count. Camshaft duration, exhaust configuration(think of how different unequal length headers sound vs equal length on a subaru), crankshaft design, etc

One of the best sounding 4cyl's imo:

IWUJo-wIVVw

Buster
12-17-2020, 02:38 PM
I personally don't think 4 cylinder sport bikes sound that good...that's why I bought a ducati. But that's a personal taste thing.