PDA

View Full Version : Police on scene of double fatal crash in southwest Calgary

89coupe
12-12-2020, 08:48 PM
Everyone safe? Happened in Aspen

https://calgaryherald.com/news/police-on-scene-of-double-fatal-crash-in-southwest-calgary

nickyh
12-12-2020, 09:12 PM
It’s all over the Westside group; sounds like a car was pulled over by 69th and fled from the cops. Ended up in the pond behind the Condos, on the west side of 85th.

nzwasp
12-12-2020, 09:43 PM
The car also killed a pedestrian a women in her 30s and another man in his 50s was ejected from the vehicle. The driver was taken to hospital.

Buster
12-12-2020, 10:16 PM
Fucking covid

ExtraSlow
12-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Fucking Treaudeau ftfy

89coupe
12-13-2020, 09:18 AM
https://www.facebook.com/21374974529/posts/10158979506639530/?d=n

ExtraSlow
12-13-2020, 09:31 AM
Why do cops insist on using the phrase "high rate of speed"? Not only is it incorrect from a physics perspective, it's grammatically complex and unclear.

"a high speed" or simply "high speed" would be so much better.

dj_rice
12-13-2020, 09:39 AM
Fuck...RIP to those pedestrians

Shlade
12-13-2020, 12:01 PM
Why do cops insist on using the phrase "high rate of speed"? Not only is it incorrect from a physics perspective, it's grammatically complex and unclear.

Does that REALLY matter?

Dickhead was speeding, fled from the police, and killed two innocent people.

ExtraSlow
12-13-2020, 12:11 PM
Doesn't matter even a little bit. Just thought it was common on the internet to make comments about tangential topics instead of confronting serious issues.

RIP to the innocents, thoughts and prayers for their families.

The_Rural_Juror
12-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Fucking covid

Fucking Tesla.

Buster
12-13-2020, 12:38 PM
Does that REALLY matter?

Dickhead was speeding, fled from the police, and killed two innocent people.

But was he going at a high rates of speed?

dirtsniffer
12-13-2020, 12:43 PM
I thought one person who died was his passenger? Mid 50's.. you'd think this would be more a dumb kid decision. Oh well, I hope he enjoys his 6 months in prison.

nzwasp
12-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Initially the media at the scene said that. I went through the intersection earlier today, I think the people who died must of been crossing 17th Ave at the time. Maybe the driver swerved last second when he saw them and that’s how he ended up in or near the pond.

OTown
12-13-2020, 08:41 PM

I wouldnt say it's 'incorrect'... maybe a bit more words than are needed but who cares.

rate [ reyt ]

noun
[....]
a certain quantity or amount of one thing considered in relation to a unit of another thing and used as a standard or measure:
at the rate of 60 miles an hour.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rate?s=t

RIP to those involved. Cant even imagine what they are going through.

AndyL
12-13-2020, 09:06 PM
Oh well, I hope he enjoys his 6 months in prison.
You think 6 months? I'm betting under 90 days, some sob story + 12months or less driving ban

Xtrema
12-13-2020, 10:57 PM
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/man-and-woman-taken-to-calgary-hospital-after-hit-and-run-1.5229357

At first I was like nobody died... than I realized this is a different incident 5 hr later.

nzwasp
12-15-2020, 08:33 PM
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7521348/couple-engaged-victims-85-street-crash/amp/

Victims named.

03ozwhip
12-15-2020, 09:07 PM
Very close friend of mine was stupid and drove drunk, didn't run from cops but got into an accident and hurt a couple people in his car pretty bad.

He ended up doing 9 months and his license was suspended for 3 years. He did his time and has been sober ever since.

This was very mild compared to this fucking douchebag, I hope they throw the book at him.

Xtrema
12-16-2020, 12:13 AM
This was very mild compared to this fucking douchebag, I hope they throw the book at him.

We have seen this time and time again, the book is pretty light on DUI, even on multiple deaths.

ThePenIsMightier
12-16-2020, 07:41 AM
We have seen this time and time again, the book is pretty light on DUI, even on multiple deaths.

This.
We can't even get a habitual DUI offender declared a Dangerous Offender. Take Roger Walsh, for example.
Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering and theft were entered into evidence during his 2009 trial for killing a lady in her wheelchair and continuing on for another 10km before cruising into a ditch.
He was not declared a Dangerous Offender and he got out on parole in December of 2019!

max_boost
12-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Holy wtf that is tragic as hell. Rip. They look like really good ppl too. Far too young. Fkn hell man.

NoSup4U
12-16-2020, 08:24 AM
Very tragic...RIP

I know it's probably a coincidence, as a lot of people were in the same boat, but wasn't there a member here that had to postpone their Hawaiian wedding because of covid?

sabad66
12-16-2020, 08:28 AM
Oh man that is brutally tragic. RIP to that couple :(

nzwasp
12-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Very tragic...RIP

I know it's probably a coincidence, as a lot of people were in the same boat, but wasn't there a member here that had to postpone their Hawaiian wedding because of covid?

yes it was finboy, I also had this thought. Not the same guy though.

revelations
12-16-2020, 11:35 AM
This.
We can't even get a habitual DUI offender declared a Dangerous Offender. Take Roger Walsh, for example.
Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering and theft were entered into evidence during his 2009 trial for killing a lady in her wheelchair and continuing on for another 10km before cruising into a ditch.
He was not declared a Dangerous Offender and he got out on parole in December of 2019!

This is exactly where the system fails miserably - assholes like this who will never get rehabilitated and never learn. We need laws to take away peoples freedom like these - permanently - and then sent to a facility thats in the middle of Africa perhaps. The cost to house these people annually there would be far less than 114 convictions and 18 DUI convictions.

Shlade
12-16-2020, 11:43 AM
I'm surprised more anti coppers aren't throwing blame at the cops for trying to stop the dickbag

"If they never pursued him he would of never killed these people"

Sad thing is, the cops will get more internal scrutiny from this shit than that asshole.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-16-2020, 12:00 PM
I'm surprised more anti coppers aren't throwing blame at the cops for trying to stop the dickbag

Sad thing is, the cops will get more internal scrutiny from this shit than that asshole.

From what I understand after the initial stop they did not pursue when the car took off.

Xtrema
12-16-2020, 12:02 PM

The don't chase for that reason and it's been used by defense lawyers plenty of times.

Sentry
12-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Yeah they didn't chase and fuckhead still binned it. Also DUI penalties get less severe the thicker the guys wallet is, that's really the main thing that effects sentencing if we're honest. Actually, was this even a DUI? I don't remember seeing that in the story, just that he ran and crashed.

Shlade
12-16-2020, 12:12 PM
From what I understand after the initial stop they did not pursue when the car took off.

Yeah, I gather the same.

Just to be clear- I'm not putting any blame on anyone other than the asshole behind the wheel. Sad situation all around.

finboy
12-16-2020, 12:54 PM
yes it was finboy, I also had this thought. Not the same guy though.

Still kickin here in briar hill, can’t afford that aspen life.

That is a rough way to go, hope they lock the fucker up for a long time, but it would surprise me if he is back out in under 5

asp integra
12-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Is it bad that I hope the guy behind the wheel gets covid while in hospital and has long lasting effect etc? More punishment than what charges would come from the dui/multiple deaths etc

AndyL
12-17-2020, 06:40 PM
https://trib.al/74bcBQA

See 1500$ fine for killing someone...

revelations
12-17-2020, 06:57 PM
https://trib.al/74bcBQA

See 1500$ fine for killing someone...

Thats a failing to yield case - ie. an accident. Not reckless endangerment.

nzwasp
12-17-2020, 07:20 PM
Im trying to figure out where the couple that were killed were in relation to the car that hit them. The article says they had been shopping at aspen landing and were walking home. So that to me says that they were probably crossing 85th at 17th ave. However if the driver had of been going down 17th he would of had to turn into the oncoming lane on 85th in order to hit them to come to rest at where the accident took place which was about 10m North of the intersection on the west side. If he had turned his car into the correct lane going north then his car wouldn't of ended up in the lake unless it flew over the concrete barrier which doesnt appear damaged.

Then the other possibility is they were crossing 17th towards Montreux and he hit them then the car swerved right and went into the lake however there is a power box (untouched) and a yield sign (also untouched) just past that intersection on the right hand side. I wonder if the cops will provide any sort of explanation on this after their investigation.

In my picture the car ended up in that red circle is that stuff is / was all busted the next day. I believe the car was travelling down 17th ave as the police note they stopped him on 17th ave sw at 69th st. All the stuff thats not in the red circle is undamaged so theres alot there for a car to weave around and end up there (especially at a high rate of speed)

89coupe
12-17-2020, 07:28 PM
The utility boxes were destroyed. Saw them mangled the day after.

nzwasp
12-17-2020, 07:35 PM
yes they are the ones in the red circle - my circle isnt perfect. Still doesnt explain how the car went from 17th ave unless slightly north west to end up crashing into there.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Maybe they were southbound, crossing 17th on the East side of 85th? Driver is too busy checking his mirror to see them, makes contact, loses control, which sends him flying into the north west side triangle curb.

nzwasp
12-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Maybe they were southbound, crossing 17th on the East side of 85th? Driver is too busy checking his mirror to see them, makes contact, loses control, which sends him flying into the north west side triangle curb.

Hmm potentially. That would mean taking a big round about way (going through aspen woods) to get to the same place instead of just continuing along 17th ave. Although I guess if he knew the cops were potentially following him he would do that.

a 40-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman, who had been struck by the silver Acura while crossing 17 Avenue at 85 Street.

I guess this clears up where the couple who were killed were, I watched some clip just now about it and a witness said that the car hit a concrete block, lost control hit the pedestrians and then kept rolling towards the pond. The high rate of speed was estimated to be 130kph

nzwasp
12-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Driver died this morning.

rx7boi
12-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Fucking tragic. I don't have the words. No one wins here.

lasimmon
12-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Wasn't the photos of the car up against the fence on the north side of 17th? That would put it further west than your photo and circle is.

Nvm. Just looked again and I was incorrect.

dirtsniffer
12-18-2020, 02:00 PM
Good riddance