PDA

View Full Version : What's more scary, Covid19 or the Vaccine?

ExtraSlow
12-14-2020, 05:25 PM
Really surprised by the responses in the other thread, so thought I'd ask a simple question. are you personally more worried about Covid19, or the vaccine RIGHT NOW in December 2020?

Buster
12-14-2020, 05:31 PM
I find both of the other covid threads scarier then either of them.

The vaccine will be fine....covid has come and it will go. But I'm still stuck on this planet with the the big part of humanity's bell curve. It's distressing.

Buster
12-14-2020, 05:43 PM
Also, isn't the split over in that thread more or less representative of the population?

2Legit2Quit
12-14-2020, 06:21 PM
Needs more polio

Tik-Tok
12-14-2020, 06:46 PM
Also, isn't the split over in that thread more or less representative of the population?

You have more faith than I do.

max_boost
12-14-2020, 07:20 PM
The rising debt is the scariest

The_Rural_Juror
12-14-2020, 07:22 PM
Masks are scarier. Who knows what people are hiding under those masks.

jutes
12-14-2020, 07:30 PM

5 o’clock shadows and bad teeth.

flipstah
12-14-2020, 07:34 PM
Which one is Resident Evil based on?

msommers
12-14-2020, 08:22 PM
No MEGA poll?

Let the pun-off begin.

Kloubek
12-15-2020, 03:42 AM
The vaccine will be administered to tens or hundreds of millions before it gets to most of us. I have 99.5% confidence we won't see any serious effects in the meantime... though this does look suspiciously similar to the start of 28 Days Later.

While there has been general anxiety in the public over everything, I think most in Canada have held themselves together reasonably well. Especially in times of racial issues boiling over and political unrest (mainly in the US but here too).

I was actually more concerned about the public going nutzoid than anything else. I mean, if you were ever gonna knock over a corner store or rob someone on the street, a time where mask-wearing is mandated is possibly the best time ever. Yet, as far as I know, despite some in financial crisis right now, crime has remained fairly flat. I expected people to panic (which they initially did) but figured that panic would rise proportionate to the severity of the virus, but that hasn't really happened. People are doing their best to adapt and live as well as they can under the circumstances, and more understanding and education has helped make that happen. It was scary when the first wave hit. Governments and citizens alike freaked out. But now only the activists are really still up in arms... no surprise there.

Despite the pat on the back I just gave our public, the social dynamic, political fervor and paranoia has been fascinating to watch during these times. The pandemic sucks, but all things considered it hasn't exactly been the black plague. If some actual massive event actually caused a mini-apocalypse, I think a portion of our population would be very quick to become survivalist and abandon the structure of society as they know it. Seems the fabric is very thin...

Misterman
12-15-2020, 06:13 AM
Really surprised by the responses in the other thread, so thought I'd ask a simple question. are you personally more worried about Covid19, or the vaccine RIGHT NOW in December 2020?

It's hard to choose a clear winner out of two things that are not scary in any way, shape, or form. Kind of a nonsensical question. It's like asking what tastes better, air or water?

firebane
12-15-2020, 06:37 AM
Fake poll.

No option for both.

jutes
12-15-2020, 06:47 AM
The answer is neither. Driving to catch a trans pacific flight still has more risks that those two combined.

benyl
12-15-2020, 07:41 AM
Neither. Fuck 2020

spikerS
12-15-2020, 08:22 AM
Not afraid of either, per say, but I am being cautious. Not overly, as in it isn't stopping me from doing most things that are currently ok with the restrictions. Most of my apprehension centers around my MIL that lives with us, and I can 100% guarantee that if she does catch it, it's game over for sure with her current medical conditions.

zechs
12-15-2020, 08:59 AM
I'm curious if people are actually being serious with their answers.

You see this a lot with polls on Beyond, either there are a ton of lurkers, or people are fucking with the poll results. Because there is maybe one or two posters that I think actually find the vaccine "scary".

As spikers said, I'm cautious, but vaccines are essentially the backbone of modern society. What I find more concerning is that the crisis was essentially manufactured by delaying the rollout of a vaccine that was ready two days after western countries knew there was a pandemic in the making.

Scared of vaccine? Definitely not. Scared of big pharma and government authoritarianism? Absolutely.

vengie
12-15-2020, 12:08 PM
The vaccine will be administered to tens or hundreds of millions before it gets to most of us. I have 99.5% confidence we won't see any serious effects in the meantime... though this does look suspiciously similar to the start of 28 Days Later.

*DISCLAIMER- Just being devils advocate on this one*

Isn't this is same argument the anti-vaxxers have? Why be afraid of something you have a 99.7% chance of surviving?

firebane
12-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Isn't this is same argument the anti-vaxxers have? Why be afraid of something you have a 99.7% chance of surviving?

How do you know if people take this vaccine it'll be a 99.7% chance of surviving? None of these vaccines have been administered in a large scale like its about to be.

vengie
12-15-2020, 12:17 PM
How do you know if people take this vaccine it'll be a 99.7% chance of surviving? None of these vaccines have been administered in a large scale like its about to be.

That stat is the average UN-VACCINATED Canadian's chance of surviving

ZenOps
12-15-2020, 12:21 PM
They cancelled an Australian trial because it was giving false positives for AIDS.

So take that news in whatever way you want. Screw NASA. Bye now.

Buster
12-15-2020, 12:23 PM

A larger sample size will not reveal events with a higher probability than the clinical trials revealed them...they will only reveal events with a lower probability.

(Unless only a part of a person can get covid, but I digress).

Xtrema
12-15-2020, 12:24 PM
They cancelled an Australian trial because it was giving false positives for AIDS.

So take that news in whatever way you want. Screw NASA. Bye now.

That's their own university's vaccine I believe. And you get HIV antibodies, bonus.

never
12-15-2020, 12:26 PM

I have been trying to be blissfully unaware and just assume there are a lot more good looking people out there now with masks!

sabad66
12-15-2020, 12:41 PM
That stat is the average UN-VACCINATED Canadian's chance of surviving

What’s your definition of average Canadian? Just excluding anyone who is 60 or older?

vengie
12-15-2020, 12:51 PM
What’s your definition of average Canadian? Just excluding anyone who is 60 or older?

No, this is simply taking the population of Canada vs. Deaths in Canada.

Sure you can break things down into risk for each group and demographic, but you can do the same for anything.

This was an example of what the people on the other side of the debate are thinking.

I'm trying to create a parallel in the way each group is thinking on their side of the debate.

KLCC
12-15-2020, 12:58 PM
I am in no rush for the vaccine. I don't need to inject anything that was expedited without sufficient testing. Plus, if everyone else is vaccinated, I don't need to, as there will be plenty of health resources for me to utilize if I do ever got sick.
It is a Win-Win.

sabad66
12-15-2020, 12:59 PM
No, this is simply taking the population of Canada vs. Deaths in Canada.

Sure you can break things down into risk for each group and demographic, but you can do the same for anything.

This was an example of what the people on the other side of the debate are thinking.

I'm trying to create a parallel in the way each group is thinking on their side of the debate.

Why would you use population of Canada as the denominator? That would assume that everyone in Canada has had covid already.

Confirmed cases and then maybe add another 10-20% for unconfirmed cases would be a better “death rate” although obviously far from perfect still. In that case it works out to 2% (but obviously almost all of these are 65 yrs old and older)

vengie
12-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Why would you use population of Canada as the denominator? That would assume that everyone in Canada has had covid already.

Confirmed cases and then maybe add another 10-20% for unconfirmed cases would be a better “death rate” although obviously far from perfect still. In that case it works out to 2% (but obviously almost all of these are 65 yrs old and older)

Now we are discussing the efficacy of statistics :)

This is why people on both sides of the debate do not understand each other and think the other side is a bunch of idiots.

Statistics is all about perception.

tirebob
12-15-2020, 01:29 PM
Where is the "not scared of either and just don't like humans in general" choice? Something tells me that one would have gotten more check marks than anti-vaxxer fears as understood by beyond...

pheoxs
12-15-2020, 01:45 PM

For your devils advocate.

Would you rather a 99.7% chance of surviving but businesses keep shutting down, travel restrictions, and all this bullshit?

Or take the vaccine that a millions of people have already taken (by the time general public in Canada get it, 50-100 million Americans will already have taken it) and then get back to regular life.

I'm ready as fuck to go back to normal life. Thats what it comes down for me. Get this shit over with so we can go back to life.

riander5
12-15-2020, 01:48 PM
Can we make an option for 'I don't give a fuck about either, however I practice covid safety for the sake of loved ones who are compromised, I find it fascinating how fearful the general public is, and will also likely get the vaccine eventually so I can travel again'

Lots of us would fall in that category right?!

Buster
12-15-2020, 01:52 PM
Can we make an option for 'I don't give a fuck about either, however I practice covid safety for the sake of loved ones who are compromised, I find it fascinating how fearful the general public is, and will also likely get the vaccine eventually so I can travel again'

Lots of us would fall in that category right?!

You would fall into option 1

Kloubek
12-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Fair question. Difference is that the side effect from the vaccine is probably nowhere near death, or likely even remotely close to as bad at the symptoms of getting the virus. (Also long-term, which Covid damage is unknown at this point). Unless it turns us all to zombies, which would be worse - but that's really just movie fodder.

And let's be clear: My 99.5% estimation is hardly scientific. I just meant there is an almost certainly it will be safe. These vaccines are going to make the labs ridiculous money, but it would also sink a company if the vaccine was proven to cause serious issues. If I truly put thought into a percentage of safety, it would probably be logically closer to 99.99%, if not higher.

Also, I'm not sure where you got .3% from, but John Hopkins shows no country that low, and some countries like Mexico as high as 9% fatality rate. (Wow). Most experts seem to agree it's an average of about 3%, give or take. Now if you are talking about the entire population and current infection rate, then sure - but unless we want to stay in lockdown for decades, the # of infected would rise exponentially over time until most of us got it, in which case we might as well just rip off the bandage and let the chips fall where they may now.

Finally, let's look at track record. We have all been saved from experiencing a myriad of really horrible diseases like Polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Tuberculosis, etc, and I don't think there was ever mass death (or possibly any death?) as a result of mass vax. Yes, there are those claiming Autism in a tiny percentage of cases, though such claims are backed by zero science. And yes, this vaccine was rushed but I would venture to guess ALL vaccines against deadly viruses were rushed, probably with less stringent protocols in the past.

Nah. Considering many other countries will be testing it out in mass before we do, by the time it's my turn I'll be willing without hesitation.

riander5
12-15-2020, 01:59 PM
- - - Updated - - -

You would fall into option 1

Damn, you're right

duaner
12-16-2020, 10:00 PM
Not sure if this has been posted in any of the COVID threads, but it offers an interesting perspective on why the rush on these vaccines isn't necessarily a bad thing:

https://theconversation.com/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-why-you-shouldnt-be-alarmed-150414

Kloubek
12-17-2020, 12:18 AM
Not sure if this has been posted in any of the COVID threads, but it offers an interesting perspective on why the rush on these vaccines isn't necessarily a bad thing:

https://theconversation.com/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-why-you-shouldnt-be-alarmed-150414

With all the BS out there, I prefer to listen to releases from organizations, but this does sound promising.

eblend
12-19-2020, 10:50 AM
My biggest fear with Covid isn't so much me getting sick, but getting my parents sick for example. My wife will be getting the vaccine shortly, so I might as well get it too when I can. If the whole vaccine required to travel becomes a thing, I am definitely getting it.

In Feb of last year I was in Japan and I got pneumonia, was in the hospital for 5 days on oxygen. That shit is pretty much what Covid feels like when shit gets serious, so I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, and is one of the reasons I try my best to follow the health guidelines, even thought some of them are pretty stupid.