PDA

View Full Version : Your backup solution: NAS, Cloud, floppy disks or whatever. MEGA THREAD

ExtraSlow
12-19-2020, 04:18 PM
Rurjur likes me to make mega threads, and I crave his approval, so here we are....

What do you use for storage and backup of your files and media? We have a qnap Nas and spider oak, but the system is a bit clunky. May need to reevaluate it. How are those USB drives that you just plug straight into your router? Discuss.

taemo
12-19-2020, 04:36 PM
I'm running a QNAP NAS with 4x2TB drives to store personal photos/videos, documents and movies.
This has scheduled syncs to Office 365/OneDrive Family plan (5 accounts, 1TB each) where the personal photos and documents gets saved. Movies I'm ok if I lose them.
Also have Amazon Prime backing up the photos, free anyway if you own Prime.
Dropbox free account syncing also on the QNAP.

I would rather have a dedicated device acting as file/storage server.

rage2
12-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Same setup as tameo, plus my QNAP is synced to the cloud for additional backup.

The_Rural_Juror
12-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Backblaze and a plugging in drive. I would totally QNAP if I could run Lightroom from a central location. If anyone figures out how, please let me know.

revelations
12-19-2020, 06:07 PM
Synology NAS to Amazon glacier. 10TB

The_Rural_Juror
12-19-2020, 06:12 PM

What's the monthly cost for that? I don't nerd enough to understand all the services they offer.

Thaco
12-19-2020, 06:17 PM
I have an orico 5 bay DAS with 4tb drives in raid 5, plenty for backing up photos and business stuff... then every few months i back it up on to a 12tb external which i keep offsite.

rage2
12-19-2020, 06:20 PM
Backblaze and a plugging in drive. I would totally QNAP if I could run Lightroom from a central location. If anyone figures out how, please let me know.
I’ve run Lightroom off iCloud Drive, Microsoft one drive, as well as directly off the QNAP across several laptops. What problems are you having with it?

The_Rural_Juror
12-19-2020, 06:26 PM
I’ve run Lightroom off iCloud Drive, Microsoft one drive, as well as directly off the QNAP across several laptops. What problems are you having with it?

My last attempt was over a year ago. I don't recall but do you have everything including the catalogues in QNAP? Or do you sync the catalogues into whichever laptop you are using every time?

rage2
12-19-2020, 06:59 PM
My last attempt was over a year ago. I don't recall but do you have everything including the catalogues in QNAP? Or do you sync the catalogues into whichever laptop you are using every time?
I had the drive mapped from qnap and had the catalogs there.

Of all the cloud solutions, google drive does not work and corrupts the catalogs. Having the shit in the cloud or qnap is the way to go. Get a new laptop, install Lightroom, sign in and everything is there.

The_Rural_Juror
12-19-2020, 07:05 PM
I just figured that you are probably on the LR monthly subscription whereas I was on the old permanent license model.

On Luminar now as the "AI" works well enough for casual photos.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2020, 07:27 PM
revelations how do like glacier? I haven't looked for a long time but it seemed good for storage, which is what I need.

revelations
12-19-2020, 08:03 PM
@revelations (https://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?u=46804) how do like glacier? I haven't looked for a long time but it seemed good for storage, which is what I need.

its a little temperamental at times - but having my irreplaceable files kept in some data farm in Northern SK is pretty good.

ExtraSlow
12-19-2020, 08:06 PM
So is the upload manual or what?

colsankey
12-19-2020, 08:16 PM
Whats the cheapest, most expeccted to last online backup?

I've got a ton of media, and most of it I could find again if I cared, but family photos and legal papers, etc all get scanned and archived and I'd like an extra offsite copy.

Speed isn't too much of a consideration, and im still trying to figure out exactly how much to backup, but I'm guessing 1-2 TB

Mitsu3000gt
12-19-2020, 08:16 PM
A single local backup + Blackblaze. The local backup is strictly for convenience in case one of my HDDs die. There is no point in doing any more than that IMO with unlimited cloud storage being so cheap it feels like it's free anyway.

rage2
12-19-2020, 08:40 PM
I just figured that you are probably on the LR monthly subscription whereas I was on the old permanent license model.

On Luminar now as the "AI" works well enough for casual photos.
I don’t use LR enough to be on sub. LR perpetual ftw. I think that will end on my next laptop tho as even tho LR is 64 bit, the installer is 32 bit so my last laptop I installed Mojave (last macOS to support 32 bit), installed LR 6 and upgraded to Catalina and now Big Sur. Can’t do that on the M1s.

I mean if anyone knows how to install LR 6 perpetual straight onto a clean Big Sur install please share haha.

taemo
12-19-2020, 09:09 PM
I don’t use LR enough to be on sub. LR perpetual ftw. I think that will end on my next laptop tho as even tho LR is 64 bit, the installer is 32 bit so my last laptop I installed Mojave (last macOS to support 32 bit), installed LR 6 and upgraded to Catalina and now Big Sur. Can’t do that on the M1s.

I mean if anyone knows how to install LR 6 perpetual straight onto a clean Big Sur install please share haha.
didn't know about this but so far havent seen anything yet, been subscribed for the Adobe Photography plan for about 2 years now.

A single local backup + Blackblaze. The local backup is strictly for convenience in case one of my HDDs die. There is no point in doing any more than that IMO with unlimited cloud storage being so cheap it feels like it's free anyway.

there's a guy that has a 430TB backup on Backblaze personal haha, I thought about setting up a ISCSI drive to abuse this as well but too lazy to do it as I would need to rebuild my NAS partition.
If you have only one computer to manage and external drives then Backblaze was the one to go from my research in the past.

But if you are subscribed for Microsoft office and have lots of family members to share with, I found the Microsoft 365 Family plan to be the best bang since you can have 6 accounts with 1TB each of OneDrive space.

killramos
12-19-2020, 10:28 PM

Yea subs would cost me a fortunate for something I dabble in a few times a year.

I’m still bitter about aperture personally.

SKR
12-19-2020, 11:11 PM
I just jot down the gist of everything in a notebook I keep beside the computer.

eblend
12-20-2020, 12:20 AM
Veeam Backup and Replication, backs up my VMs and files, sync to my Azure MSDN benefit online. It's mostly documents and pictures, videos and stuff I don't really care about. All my pictures end up on smugmug automatically as well in full quality so that's the most important thing I care about anyways.

ExtraSlow
12-20-2020, 11:58 AM
Well I made an aws account last ight while I was playing poker, but didn't figure out how to use it. I think that is something I'll need to do when I'm not drunk or hungover. Maybe tomorrow!

revelations
12-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Well I made an aws account last ight while I was playing poker, but didn't figure out how to use it. I think that is something I'll need to do when I'm not drunk or hungover. Maybe tomorrow!

Its definitely not for the average non-IT person - AWS likes to keep it nerdy as possible - however the 6TB of what have you online costs about 5$ a month.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-20-2020, 08:28 PM
I use Terraform for my AWS account. Keeps it consistent.
I have a Synology. Most of it's media storage, that I don't bother backing up, but I have a share that replications to Google Cloud. I pay for 100gb of cloud storage, for the important shit.

CompletelyNumb
12-21-2020, 01:08 PM
I have my computer synced to Dropbox. (for files, not programs)

One SSD is just my Dropbox drive, constant sync. Other NVME's are for installation of apps. Makes it easy for me to move around to other computers, my laptops are all synced with DB (albeit with selective sync to keep the data lower, less free space than my desktop).

killramos
12-21-2020, 01:15 PM
I’ve been using Dropbox to sync between several computers for probably 7 years. Never paid a penny for it either, I only sync important stuff so the few go I have is plenty.

I’ve considered switching to another service with more space but I honestly just don’t care enough to bother, I suppose I have a couple hundred GB on iCloud if I was to switch to anyone else.