PDA

View Full Version : CPS Officer killed during traffic stop

Pages : [1] 2

dirtsniffer
01-01-2021, 09:38 AM
https://twitter.com/CalgaryPolice/status/1344957613532827648

shakalaka
01-01-2021, 09:45 AM
So sad. Saw this in my news feed first thing after waking up. RIP to the officer and condolences to the family.

JRSC00LUDE
01-01-2021, 09:49 AM
Jesus, that is terrible.

tcon
01-01-2021, 09:58 AM
Hope they got the plate# for the POS in the vehicle

danno
01-01-2021, 10:24 AM
Left work at midnight and they were every where last night. Saw 30 cop cars just parked at various locations. I thought it was just typical nye procedure to patrol the whole city but maybe they were looking for someone.

nismodrifter
01-01-2021, 10:48 AM
Saddened to hear this.

ganesh
01-01-2021, 10:54 AM
RIP to the officer. Condolences to the loved ones.

Hope they catch the POS.

max_boost
01-01-2021, 10:57 AM
That’s terrible. RIP.

The_Rural_Juror
01-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Rip. :(

vengie
01-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Apparently the 17 year old was the driver.
Very happy they released his info.

Masked Bandit
01-01-2021, 01:36 PM

Apparently the 17 year old was the driver.
Very happy they released his info.

Fuck these two clowns! Look like a couple of thug life hood rats. Assuming the info is accurate I can't imagine the arrest, when made, will be terribly gentle.

RIP to the officer and condolences to their family and co-workers.

blueToy
01-01-2021, 01:43 PM
Its so very sad and tragic that someone who is trying to serve and protect US got killed by these two .....
Bring back the death penalty and let these two pieces of excrement swing from a rope!!!

killramos
01-01-2021, 01:44 PM
That’s a lot of wasted skin. I hope the cops find them before they turn themselves in.

jutes
01-01-2021, 01:46 PM
Already had mugshots of the two in the database? Outstanding Canadians and members of society.

revelations
01-01-2021, 02:26 PM
First degree murder implies these door knobs planned on killing a member in advance. Doubt that will stick. Also, drive offs are not rare as many perps know the CPS wont chase and HAWCs is not always available.

The Canadian police stats dont lie, the most dangerous part of the job is (ie. deaths) dealing with vehicles/collisions - not weapons.

The_Rural_Juror
01-01-2021, 02:46 PM
First degree murder implies these door knobs planned on killing a member in advance. Doubt that will stick. Also, drive offs are not rare as many perps know the CPS wont chase and HAWCs is not always available.

The Canadian police stats dont lie, the most dangerous part of the job is (ie. deaths) dealing with vehicles/collisions - not weapons.

Murder of a police officer is always first degree.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-231.html

Murder of peace officer, etc.

(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is

(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;

roopi
01-01-2021, 02:46 PM
Already had mugshots of the two in the database? Outstanding Canadians and members of society.

Could those be drivers license photos?

Buster
01-01-2021, 02:59 PM
Can we tack on years for that one fucker's hair and the other fucker's beard?

Buster
01-01-2021, 03:03 PM
Also, I'll bet some alcohol that the youth gets tried as a youth, and does a couple of years somewhere comfy.

AFAIK, there is no evidence the 19yo committed a murder, as he was the passenger? I'm not sure how evading the police works if you are a passenger in a car that takes off.

Prepare to be disappointed people.

killramos
01-01-2021, 03:05 PM
That’s why it works better if they show up in a ditch a couple weeks from now.

snowcat
01-01-2021, 03:07 PM
"The vehicle is described as a copper-coloured, 2006 Infiniti FX, with a small spare tire on the front passenger side. It has visible hail damage."

schurchill39
01-01-2021, 03:11 PM
That’s why it works better if they show up in a ditch a couple weeks from now.

I've got zero problem with this.

mr2mike
01-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Also, I'll bet some alcohol that the youth gets tried as a youth, and does a couple of years somewhere comfy.

AFAIK, there is no evidence the 19yo committed a murder, as he was the passenger? I'm not sure how evading the police works if you are a passenger in a car that takes off.

Prepare to be disappointed people.

If you turned yourself in voluntarily after the fact, I bet no issues.
However, enough time has passed now that you're culpable too at this point.

Edit:

Calgary police Chief Mark Neufeld, speaking on Friday, said the vehicle was stopped because the licence plates did not match the vehicle and that the suspects are known to police, but he declined to elaborate.

D'z Nutz
01-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Murder of a police officer is always first degree.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-231.html

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Anyways, here's a news article that shares some details:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/murder-warrants-issued-against-2-people-in-death-of-calgary-police-officer-1.5250538

sabad66
01-01-2021, 07:08 PM
Looks like the two peeps turned themselves in about 30 mins ago.

dirtsniffer
01-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Probably took a while this morning to get fay or dur lined up for the next 3-4 years

killramos
01-01-2021, 08:05 PM
Probably took a while this morning to get fay or dur lined up for the next 3-4 years

Cause those guys look like they can afford a slurpee let alone a top notch lawyer.

Kloubek
01-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Looks like the two peeps turned themselves in about 30 mins ago.

Rarely much point in running once they know who you are. These two couldn't possibly stage a grand escape to Mexico..

Darell_n
01-01-2021, 08:32 PM
Rarely much point in running once they know who you are. These two couldn't possibly stage a grand escape to Mexico..

I'm sure their Mom wouldn't buy the ticket for them.

D'z Nutz
01-01-2021, 08:36 PM
Oh wow, I didn't know that.

Anyways, here's a news article that shares some details:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/murder-warrants-issued-against-2-people-in-death-of-calgary-police-officer-1.5250538

This article has been updated with more details about the incident:

Amir Abdulrahman, 19, and a 17-year-old who can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act are facing charges of first-degree murder after turning themselves in to police later in the day. Police had earlier named the 17-year-old suspect, having made an application to the Youth Division of the Calgary provincial court.

He can no longer be named now that he is before the justice system. Police had also released images of a suspect vehicle, which was located a short time later and taken for forensic testing.

Well, it's a little too late for that now ain't it!? Haha

rx7boi
01-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Nice, glad they are now in custody.

I read about the officer yesterday and that they found the car earlier this morning in Taradale.

Terrible end to 2020.

Disoblige
01-01-2021, 08:45 PM
This article has been updated with more details about the incident:

Well, it's a little too late for that now ain't it!? Haha
Yeah, weird how things work. When they looking for suspect, age doesn't matter. But his name is already all over the internet post-custody.

Al-Azan Shah Muhammad, 17.

spikerS
01-01-2021, 08:58 PM
Yeah, weird how things work. When they looking for suspect, age doesn't matter. But his name is already all over the internet post-custody.

Al-Azan Shah Muhammad, 17.

I don't know if we can get in trouble for this or not, but they did post it as an update on the CPS FB feed...

Update #4 – Calgary police officer killed in the line of duty
Two individuals wanted on warrants for first degree murder in relation to the death of Calgary Police Service officer Sgt. Andrew Harnett have turned themselves in to police.
At approximately 5:30 p.m., today, Friday, Jan. 1, 2021, co-accused Al-Azan Shah MUHAMMAD, 17, and Amir ABDULRAHMAN, 19, both from Calgary, were arrested at police headquarters after turning themselves in to police.

Buster
01-01-2021, 09:14 PM
Smart move...they might have run into some "issues" if they were found someone dark.

The_Rural_Juror
01-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Smart move...they might have run into some "issues" if they were found someone dark.

Dem black folks can never catch a break.

Buster
01-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Dem black folks can never catch a break.

TYpe-O.

....or was it?

flipstah
01-01-2021, 10:09 PM
RIP

Will this be an issue releasing a youth name in this manner?

The_Rural_Juror
01-01-2021, 10:16 PM
Officer's wife is pregnant with their first kid. :(

FraserB
01-01-2021, 10:52 PM
RIP

Will this be an issue releasing a youth name in this manner?

It’s already public knowledge. And I doubt that the Crown would even try to get a conviction against someone for posting the name of a cop killer

The_Rural_Juror
01-01-2021, 11:38 PM
TIL that the police do not have to tell you that they are cops and the methods they will use to convince you that they are not cops.
https://www.derbarristers.com/articles/

So, if you are wondering if your new friends or business partners are cops, maybe ask them to punch you in the face.

Sentry
01-02-2021, 02:43 AM
So what you're saying is, don't talk to anyone ever without a lawyer present.

spikerS
01-02-2021, 09:48 AM
TIL that the police do not have to tell you that they are cops and the methods they will use to convince you that they are not cops.
https://www.derbarristers.com/articles/

Dude, if you think that is messed up, I knew cops don't have to identify themselves as cops or even tell the truth while undercover and such but, they can flat out lie and bullshit you when interrogating you when you are in the station being interviewed or under investigation.

I watched this video on YT where the cops had arrested the completely wrong guy after a foot chase. They brought him down to the station and booked him, then tried to get a confession. The cop flat out said multiple times they had him on video robbing the store. Dude they arrested was a 6'+ black dude and they were chasing a smaller white dude, and the poor guy had *JUST* gotten off a bus when the cops rounded the corner and saw him there.

To me, THAT is fucked up.

BemHqUqcpI8?t=154

ExtraSlow
01-02-2021, 09:50 AM
I think we can find a better thread to discuss police tactics. Rip to the officer.

Shlade
01-02-2021, 09:52 AM
This won't be murder 1. It'll be pleaded down to vehicular manslaughter likely... Be out before they're 30... Can thank our "justice" system for that.

max_boost
01-02-2021, 09:54 AM
So what you're saying is, don't talk to anyone ever without a lawyer present.

The videos when cops pull lawyers over for bs reasons are hilarious. The escalation and saving face and then subsequent warning/letting go lol

- - - Updated - - -

This won't be murder 1. It'll be pleaded down to vehicular manslaughter likely... Be out before they're 30... Can thank our "justice" system for that.

Yea it sucks. Only thing you hope for is these kids rehab and become productive members of society. Idk the stats but how many reoffend serious crimes?

jabjab
01-02-2021, 09:54 AM
They will not be convicted of first degree murder but a much lesser charge. Nobody knows exactly what happened but i doubt these punks thought to themselves "lets kill this cop right now".

spikerS
01-02-2021, 10:01 AM
I think we can find a better thread to discuss police tactics. Rip to the officer.

You are right, at least it will be an easy thread split. But yes, RIP to the officer. It is incredibly sad.

- - - Updated - - -

They will not be convicted of first degree murder but a much lesser charge. Nobody knows exactly what happened but i doubt these punks thought to themselves "lets kill this cop right now".

There probably won't be any lesser charge here. You are thinking of the charge of first degree being for the general population that plans a murder. In this instance, first degree murder does not have the same bar that must be met, but has a different subsection when your actions kill a person operation as a peace officer and has a separate bar that must be met for first degree murder charges.

killramos
01-02-2021, 10:05 AM

I don’t think these societal skid marks are used to doing much “thinking”

The_Rural_Juror
01-02-2021, 10:13 AM

Yes you are right. I was more surprised at the tone of that article from the lawyer's site.

- - - Updated - - -

I read that the max sentence for the younger one is only 10 years.

dirtsniffer
01-02-2021, 10:43 AM
If he is charged as an adult or as a youth?

The_Rural_Juror
01-02-2021, 10:49 AM
If he is charged as an adult or as a youth?

Youth.

killramos
01-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Doesn’t YCA still limit sentencing even if he is charged as an adult?

I think we need to ship all these skids off to an island for life in lieu of prison, just keep these losers away from everyone else.

My vote is Vancouver Island, doubt it will even change the demographics much.

Disoblige
01-02-2021, 11:48 AM
I will prepare to be disappointed but I have this glimmer of hope that they're going to use this to set an example given the timing of this as 2020 ended. People are human so given how people keep saying 2020 is a shit year, they could subcautiously use that to this kid's sentence.

jutes
01-02-2021, 12:51 PM
Being 2020 has nothing to do with it. A different year better have no influence in a court setting.

People keep saying “thank god 2020 is over” like anything will change overnight. Out in the real world nothing has changed except some sense of mental well-being that a number on a calendar went up one.

spikerS
01-02-2021, 01:00 PM
Being 2020 has nothing to do with it. A different year better have no influence in a court setting.

People keep saying “thank god 2020 is over” like anything will change overnight. Out in the real world nothing has changed except some sense of mental well-being that a number on a calendar went up one.

I don't think anyone expects that like flipping some magic switch, 2021 is going to instantly be better. If you think that is the case of those poeple, you are dumber than the doorpost I thought you were before this.

Everyone can agree, I am sure, that 2020 sucked. Everyone has been impacted by it in one way or another do some degree. For a lot of people it has been absolutely devastating. I think most people, myself included, are looking at 2021 as the time where things will get better, and it gives hope. Does anyone expect that January 1st is going to make everything go away? fuck no. But like everyone that celebrates NYE or makes a new year's resolution, people are hoping that things will get better. Will it be better for everyone? of course not, but with the start of the vaccine roll-out, people can begin to see light at the end of this dark tunnel, and hope that 2021 will be better for everyone.

killramos
01-02-2021, 01:14 PM
I dunno. Depending on the timelines of all this mess I would say 2021 has a high likelihood of being far worse than 2020.

Most of 2020 life has had relative normalcy, first 3 months completely normal, April to June were a bit rough but not that bad, summer through end of November were basically back to normalcy. December was awful.

No do the math on 2021, we have 3-6 months of similar garbage to December. Maybe a chance of relative normalcy in the summer but those are long odds. Maybe we see some light in the fall/winter months, but tainted with the aftermath and sobering reality of our economy and balance sheets, from the personal level all the way up to the feds, decimated.

We actually traded an “ok” 2020 for a really dismal next 5 years IMO.
No, I don’t think 2021 will be a better year than 2020.

jutes
01-02-2021, 01:27 PM
I think most people, myself included, are looking at 2021 as the time where things will get better, and it gives hope. Does anyone expect that January 1st is going to make everything go away? fuck no. But like everyone that celebrates NYE or makes a new year's resolution, people are hoping that things will get better. Will it be better for everyone? of course not, but with the start of the vaccine roll-out, people can begin to see light at the end of this dark tunnel, and hope that 2021 will be better for everyone.

Use whatever mental gymnastics you need to make yourself feel better about the future, would you like a prescription for happiness? Most people like to think a new year will bring a change to normality, there is nothing indicating that will happen.

The_Rural_Juror
01-02-2021, 01:31 PM
I dunno. Depending on the timelines of all this mess I would say 2021 has a high likelihood of being far worse than 2020.

Most of 2020 life has had relative normalcy, first 3 months completely normal, April to June were a bit rough but not that bad, summer through end of November were basically back to normalcy. December was awful.

No do the math on 2021, we have 3-6 months of similar garbage to December. Maybe a chance of relative normalcy in the summer but those are long odds. Maybe we see some light in the fall/winter months, but tainted with the aftermath and sobering reality of our economy and balance sheets, from the personal level all the way up to the feds, decimated.

We actually traded an “ok” 2020 for a really dismal next 5 years IMO.
No, I don’t think 2021 will be a better year than 2020.

Probably another mega thread split. I never had 2021 as a happy year in my projections even with an efficient vaccine rollout. Most people are too optimistic to the point that they are budgeting that this will go away in a few weeks.

spikerS
01-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Use whatever mental gymnastics you need to make yourself feel better about the future, would you like a prescription for happiness? Most people like to think a new year will bring a change to normality, there is nothing indicating that will happen.

fuck, I hate being baited by the troll, but that whole statement just proves my theory about your IQ.

There is literally zero mental gymnastics going on here. Literally none. zilch. No one thinks that because the date changed from 2020 to 2021 that that will somehow make everything better, find me one of those people that flat out says that because it is 2021 the pandemic is over, I will eat my hat. Will there be a change to normalcy in 2021, I think so. With the vaccine delivery, barring anything else catastrophic, yes, I think things will trend back to something normal like before the pandemic. Do I think that all the damage that occurred during the 2020 year will be repaired? of course not. As Killramos said, repairing the economy, recovering the billions spent with CERB and other programs, we are going to be paying for that for years to come. But, is there hope that this year we will be able to attend car meets, or visit our family at Christmas? I think there is a very real, and even a good chance that will happen in this new year.

So yes, with the vaccine delivery, that is a VERY big indicator that things might return to some form of normalcy this year.

Either way, this thread is being derailed, again. There is another thread for this topic already, and if I continue to engage this bullshit rhetoric from you, it will be there.

The_Rural_Juror
01-02-2021, 08:39 PM
Update from CPS.

https://m.facebook.com/CalgaryPolice/posts/10159032074354530

shakalaka
01-02-2021, 09:31 PM
2020 or 2021 nothing ever changes on Beyond. Still the usual derailing of threads with irrelevant posts.

Back to the slain officer, I read somewhere (perhaps here) that his wife was pregnant. Has this been confirmed yet? Man not that this was good in any way, my heart just goes out to that poor kid thinking about how he never even got to see his father. This was so unnecessary and avoidable.

roopi
01-02-2021, 10:13 PM
I read she is 3 months pregnant on CP and there does seem to be a cop or ex cop posting in the thread as well.

adam c
01-03-2021, 02:48 PM
I read she is 3 months pregnant on CP and there does seem to be a cop or ex cop posting in the thread as well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-sgt-andrew-harnett-wife-pregnant-1.5860022

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 04:32 PM
:(

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comments/kpsfhc/grieving_for_two_widow_of_slain_calgary_police/

From the Chief's Awards Gala, 2017.

Just after midnight on, on Tuesday, May 24, 2016, a woman and her husband got into an argument. Their three children - a 15 year-old girl, a 12-year old girl and a 3-year-old boy - watched as the argument escalated. The oldest girl stepped in to intervene, but her father turned his rage on her, choking her before leaving the residence. He returned moments later with a gun and shot his wife and oldest daughter. The wife died immediately.

Despite gunshot wounds to her face and hand, the oldest daughter was still alive but played dead in hopes of deterring any further assault. The 12-year-old girl hid in a corner protecting her little brother from the terrible sight.

The father demanded that the two youngest children grab their coats. The 12-year old had the presence of mind to hide their jackets, telling him that she didn't know where they were, knowing her sister had called 9-1-1 and help was on the way. The father went back to the bedroom where his victims lay and kicked them repeatedly. He then gathered his youngest two children and fled in his car.

Despite her serious injuries, the oldest daughter was able to place a second call to 9-1-1 to tell officers her father had fled with her brother and sister. Before this information could be relayed, Constables Kyle Palyga, Andrew Harnett and Ashley Majewski arrived and forced their way into the home, not knowing the suspect had fled. They found the victims and quickly realized the oldest daughter was in serious condition.

Constable Palyga talked to her, keeping her calm and getting as much information from her as possible. All three officers worked quickly to tend to her wounds. EMS arrived and transported the victim to hospital where she later recovered from her injuries.

Meanwhile, other officers had located the suspect. He had pulled over and fired a round into the air. Knowing the children were still in the vehicle, officers were able to safely challenge and arrest him without further incident. The two children were found in the back of the car, the 12-year old girl covering her little brother with her own body for protection.

For their courage, bravery and quick thinking, the sisters have been acknowledged with the Chief's Award for Exceptional Recognition for Valour. To protect their identities we have not named them.

dannie
01-04-2021, 12:36 PM
CPS is asking members of the public to put up blue lights or blue ribbons around the city so his fam and colleagues can see how much support they have. We've put up ribbons at all my offices and personal home. Just an FYI should you feel so inclined.

tonytiger55
01-04-2021, 03:52 PM
I was just reading the article from CBC news.
The officer was dragged 400 meters and flung into oncoming traffic!!!! FUCKING HELLL!!!! This is horrific.

Sgt. Andrew Harnett was dragged 400 metres before he was flung from a fleeing SUV and that footage captured on his body-worn camera will be played in court during the bail hearing for the youth accused of murdering the officer on New Year's Eve, CBC News has learned.

For 400 metres and reaching speeds of up to 90 km/h, the driver attempted to push Harnett off the SUV while Abdulrahman grabbed the wheel.

Eventually, Harnett was flung into oncoming traffic.

jabjab
01-04-2021, 04:31 PM
these guys have to be complete morons...take the ticket for whatever they are trying to avoid would have been much easier than going to court for murder. Clowns.

Mitsu3000gt
01-04-2021, 04:36 PM
RIP, senseless act.

The only question remaining is will the suspects get their left or right hand slapped at sentencing?

revelations
01-04-2021, 04:46 PM
I was just reading the article from CBC news.
The officer was dragged 400 meters and flung into oncoming traffic!

This isnt the first time this has happened to a CPS member. No doubt CPS traffic stop policy will be adjusted as a result - perhaps roadside vehicles will all have to be turned off during the verbal interaction portion? Keys on the dash kind of thing.

The_Rural_Juror
01-04-2021, 09:18 PM
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/crown-to-oppose-bail-for-teen-accused-in-calgary-police-officer-s-death-1.5252430

and of course

Abdulrahman has retained high-profile defence lawyer Balfour Der. He also called in to his brief court hearing by phone Monday...Der said a warrant was also out for Abdulrahman for a common assault and missing several court appearances.

OTown
01-04-2021, 10:40 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/sgt-andrew-harnett-body-worn-camera-bail-hearing-murder-1.5860890

Some of the details are disturbing.

Around 11 p.m. on New Year's Eve, Harnett pulled over an SUV. After speaking with the driver, who police allege is the 17-year-old youth, Harnett was in the process of issuing tickets related to the driver's graduated licence and headlights, which were not on.

In the meantime, other officers arrived at the traffic stop.

The passenger, who police say was Amir Abdulrahman, 19, was wanted on four warrants, including one for assault and three for failure to comply with court orders.

As two officers were at the passenger side door dealing with Abdulrahman, he allegedly began shouting for his younger friend to take off.

The SUV sped away, but Harnett was still attached to the vehicle. It's unclear if he was holding on to the SUV or became stuck.

For 400 metres and with the vehicle reaching speeds of up to 90 km/h, the driver attempted to push Harnett off the SUV while Abdulrahman grabbed the wheel.

Eventually, Harnett was flung into oncoming traffic.

Wow. This is absolutely horrific. News is also saying that the youth is turning 18 next week.

Heartbreaking for everyone involved.

Disoblige
01-04-2021, 11:25 PM
RIP, senseless act.

The only question remaining is will the suspects get their left or right hand slapped at sentencing?
Thanks, broken record :thumbsup:

BerserkerCatSplat
01-04-2021, 11:33 PM
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/crown-to-oppose-bail-for-teen-accused-in-calgary-police-officer-s-death-1.5252430

and of course

I mean how could you not hire a defense lawyer with a HockeyDB page? (https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98956)

dirtsniffer
01-04-2021, 11:45 PM
I mean how could you not hire a defense lawyer with a HockeyDB page? (https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=98956)

Wait, I thought it was the prosecution who was supposed to be putting people on ice? Seriously though, fuck these guys.

As an aside..
How ethical is it for people to be all up in arms about this officer dying while supporting defunding the police?

jwslam
01-04-2021, 11:50 PM
How horrifying for the driver in the oncoming traffic... :cry:

PTSD for sure.

The_Rural_Juror
01-05-2021, 12:02 AM

The other db hired Kaysi Fagan.

Manhattan
01-05-2021, 12:13 AM
Wait, I thought it was the prosecution who was supposed to be putting people on ice? Seriously though, fuck these guys.

As an aside..
How ethical is it for people to be all up in arms about this officer dying while supporting defunding the police?

Supporting defunding or better described as reallocation of resources to mental health services and grieving for the senseless loss of a public servant are not mutually exclusive.

mr2mike
01-05-2021, 07:41 AM
How are these criminals affording these lawyers? Serious question. Doubtful Der does this pro-bono and I don't think they get legal aid for Der.
Neither do anyone else who retains Der.
Are they HELOC'ing their homes? No way would any family be helping me out if this happened and I was a POS with other charges outstanding, etc.

flipstah
01-05-2021, 08:00 AM
This isnt the first time this has happened to a CPS member. No doubt CPS traffic stop policy will be adjusted as a result - perhaps roadside vehicles will all have to be turned off during the verbal interaction portion? Keys on the dash kind of thing.

The latter part you might have met symbolically as keyless entry can’t apply to that. I agree but how?

haggis88
01-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Why do people keep saying "Normalcy"?

Isn't the correct word "Normality"?

killramos
01-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Why do people keep saying "Normalcy"?

Isn't the correct word "Normality"?

They are synonyms. So yes. And no.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/normalcy

BerserkerCatSplat
01-05-2021, 10:32 AM
How are these criminals affording these lawyers? Serious question. Doubtful Der does this pro-bono and I don't think they get legal aid for Der.
Are they HELOC'ing their homes? No way would any family be helping me out if this happened and I was a POS with other charges outstanding, etc.

I've often wondered that myself, never heard any good explanation. Maybe he offers financing plans.

mr2mike
01-05-2021, 10:42 AM
I've often wondered that myself, never heard any good explanation. Maybe he offers financing plans.

He does offer financing options as per his website and his fee is a total fee. Not by the hour.
Still you're going to burden the whole family to do this and your chances of making a ton of money after the proceedings is low at best unless its dirty money.

Manhattan
01-05-2021, 10:43 AM

Either family co-signing or making payments for the rest their lives although I'm curious too as to how and if Der actually collects on the debt. Possible that Der does this for exposure without expectation of being fully paid hence why he seems to represent every high profile criminal case.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2021, 10:54 AM
different words.

JohnnyHockey13
01-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Either family co-signing or making payments for the rest their lives although I'm curious too as to how and if Der actually collects on the debt. Possible that Der does this for exposure without expectation of being fully paid hence why he seems to represent every high profile criminal case.

How long you been in Calgary? Balfour Der does it simply for the jerk off material at night before bed.

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2021, 11:02 AM

As an aside..

I don't think you really understand the "defund" concept which, due to the idiots protesting and the useless media misconstruing the thought, is pretty easy to understand.

What I don't understand is why so many people get a full pound of salty sand up their vaginas over people hiring good defense lawyers. Jesus fucking Christ. I don't give a shit how big a piece of trash the person is, everyone gets the right to a defense. It's unfathomable to me that people are so quick to throw that— and so many other rights—away when it suits their current emotional state.

sabad66
01-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Is Balfour Der even good? or is he just one of the few criminal lawyers in Calgary that would be willing to take on these types of cases, so it seems like he's good since we just see his name on anything high profile?

jabjab
01-05-2021, 11:24 AM
Is Balfour Der even good? or is he just one of the few criminal lawyers in Calgary that would be willing to take on these types of cases, so it seems like he's good since we just see his name on anything high profile?

He used to be a lot better. Pat Fagen used to be the man but fell off. I can see the defense saying that the officer put himself in an unsafe position when pulling the car over or something, anything to show that 1st degree being lowered. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

dirtsniffer
01-05-2021, 11:27 AM
If I ever had criminal charges against me I would pay whatever the best lawyer charged. Money doesn't mean much when you are locked up.

vengie
01-05-2021, 12:28 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a live stream of his funeral procession today starting at noon.

My Neighbor (active duty CPS) was very good friends with Andrew, he's very broken up about this. Just an awful situation :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1gR9-5EcmcFQlJggVZkNyjNwfcBCCRUIUeoGRvRKBDEQ-6D_voNEaPO1I&v=kA7Vu0YmjU0&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=CalgaryPoliceService

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-05-2021, 12:35 PM
Many many people lining Memorial for the procession.

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2021, 12:37 PM
If I ever had criminal charges against me I would pay whatever the best lawyer charged. Money doesn't mean much when you are locked up.

Agreed. And so would every single loudmouth who gets upset about it. And most of them would also do it if it were their kid in the majority of circumstances too I would suggest. Hypocrisy, it isn't just for politicians!

revelations
01-05-2021, 12:51 PM
The latter part you might have met symbolically as keyless entry can’t apply to that. I agree but how?

for high risk stops like this was (even before the incident) I see the CPS definitely asking for the vehicle to be turned off. It would be ideal if the key /fob was given to the members for duration of the high risk the stop but thats not allowed though - no seizures willy nilly.

Tik-Tok
01-05-2021, 01:17 PM
I don't think you really understand the "defund" concept which, due to the idiots protesting and the useless media misconstruing the thought, is pretty easy to understand.

I always thougt a better catchphrase would have been "de-escalate the police". It encompasses the problem that people are concerned about, and isn't as dividing for people who automatically think it means they don't want a police force at all.

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2021, 01:26 PM
I always thougt a better catchphrase would have been "de-escalate the police". It encompasses the problem that people are concerned about, and isn't as dividing for people who automatically think it means they don't want a police force at all.

I better not say more, don't want another neg rep. I learned my lesson!

dirtsniffer
01-05-2021, 01:29 PM
There probably is a defund the police thread around here somewhere. Probably not right to hijack this one

vengie
01-05-2021, 01:33 PM
There probably is a defund the police thread around here somewhere. Probably not right to hijack this one

It keeps getting bumped off the page by Mario's lottery group thread

The_Rural_Juror
01-05-2021, 01:44 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a live stream of his funeral procession today starting at noon.

My Neighbor (active duty CPS) was very good friends with Andrew, he's very broken up about this. Just an awful situation :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR1gR9-5EcmcFQlJggVZkNyjNwfcBCCRUIUeoGRvRKBDEQ-6D_voNEaPO1I&v=kA7Vu0YmjU0&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=CalgaryPoliceService

Stop cutting onions. Can't a dude cry in peace?

vengie
01-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Stop cutting onions. Can't a dude cry in peace?

No onions required here.

Love seeing the thousands of people lining the streets to show support.