PDA

View Full Version : Video Monitoring system

benyl
01-02-2021, 10:15 AM
So I want to pre-wire the new build with cat6a to a whole bunch of locations for cameras. My cousin in Vancouver has an always on system (no idea what) that has a monitor in his kitchen that shows feeds from all his cameras. I don’t think I need always on, but I might want it.

I’ve been looking at UniFi Protect as it would seamless integrate into my network really well (UDMP, UniFi POE switches, etc). https://unifi-network.ui.com/camera-security

Nest looks compelling as well. I think it also integrates into HomeKit. While I am on the Apple ecosystem for many things, I haven’t setup HomeKit at all. I’m guessing I can get a 16 camera view with Nest to work on AppleTV, or can I?

Right now I have a cheap Wyze cam for the garage.

I will probably set up 6 cameras on the outside of the house, one in the garage and one probably inside somewhere.

What’s everyone’s experience? Anything better? I haven’t really looked at Lorex. Any good?

spikerS
01-02-2021, 10:17 AM
I have a couple buddies with the Arlo Pro packages, and they all swear by them. completely wireless and seem to be pretty good.

benyl
01-02-2021, 10:23 AM
I have a couple buddies with the Arlo Pro packages, and they all swear by them. completely wireless and seem to be pretty good.

Wonder what the longevity of the battery is when it is -20. Wired and Wireless has pros and cons. I have the option to run power, so I don’t need completely wireless.

ganesh
01-02-2021, 10:27 AM
If you want to stay with in Unifi Ecosystem it doesn't support the Homekit integration natively.
You can integrate it with Home Bridge or Hoobs.
I am staying with in the Unifi Eco system. I have bought the cameras but haven't got around to install it yet. Probably a summer project for me.

killramos
01-02-2021, 10:29 AM
You will find yourself extremely disappointed by nest. It does not natively integrate with HomeKit and won’t do what you desire. And it’s expensive af.

Google has given up on nest, tough to say why people buy their products anymore.

I’d go with Unifi protect or some other IP camera solution with local storage and monitoring.

Once you have protect setup they make a little Ethernet to HDMI dongle that will provide you with your camera dashboard you are looking for. I plan I transitioning everything to Unifi when I find the time/budget.

Honestly HomeKit is not that useful for video imo

sabad66
01-02-2021, 10:46 AM
If I had an opportunity like you to wire and design from scratch I would go with a Lorex 4K PoE system. Never used before personally but reviews are great and they seem like they have good support. Costco usually has deals on their packages throughout the year as well.

The_Rural_Juror
01-02-2021, 10:47 AM
I had the Arlo pro. Awful battery life in the winter and wireless quality is generally poor if it's outside.

Unifi works way better if you have them wired up. I have over 10, including the one under the desk.

killramos
01-02-2021, 11:00 AM
POE also has the benefit, combined with a UPS, of continuing to function if you lose power.

Not really a big deal in Calgary but a nice assurance. Power goes out and you lose nest entirely.

Cameras are also bandwidth heavy, and often spaced to far corners of signal strength, so offloading as much of that onto wires is only going to help keep your wireless ecosystem happy.

How Unifi compares to Lorex or other POE solution I don’t know, but it’s an ecosystem I am more familiar with.

rage2
01-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Nest has a few pros, and a fuck ton of cons.

Pros: cheap 24/7 cloud storage (now), good ui to export specific clips, awesome doorbell product, good motion, people, and face detection, decent homekit integration.

Cons: no wired option WiFi only, no Poe support making wiring shitty, no more single view interface (did have it for Apple TV but they abandoned the app), iOS and web interface isn’t single view, have to scroll if you have more than 4 cameras. Need starling.io to integrate homekit (surprisingly seamless), owned by google so you know it’s going to randomly EOL at some point with no notice.

I dunno if I would use nest in a new build, but some of the pros are really great and used daily, and afaik isn’t as smooth with anyone else as nest. Man I sound like I’m in an abusive relationship with nest haha.

killramos
01-02-2021, 11:34 AM
That’s pretty much how it’s goes with nest.

I’m just done defending them after owning 7 of their devices and slowly working that number down over time.

rage2
01-02-2021, 11:41 AM
That’s pretty much how it’s goes with nest.

I’m just done defending them after owning 7 of their devices and slowly working that number down over time.
Thanks for passing your abusive spouse over to me. :love:

Buster
01-02-2021, 02:29 PM
I'm running Unifi Protect right now. I can't imagine going with another option, especially if you already have the UDMP ready to go.

I much prefer the unifi doorbell to my old Ring. Setup and integration with your existing software makes things easy. Camera quality is really good. Local storage (no cloud service or sub needed, if that matters to you).

Only Con I have seen is the cost of the cameras....but that's fine. Buy once, cry once.

benyl
01-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Thanks. Did you get the Viewport?

What happens when the door bell rings? is it like Ring?

Does the doorbell just act like another camera when nothings is happening?

Buster
01-02-2021, 03:53 PM
Thanks. Did you get the Viewport?

What happens when the door bell rings? is it like Ring?

Does the doorbell just act like another camera when nothings is happening?

I don't have the viewport - don't really need it.

When the doorbell rings, you get a notification on your phone, you can click it and it opens the app for you to do whatever. Similar to other doorbell apps, I guess.

And yes, the doorbell acts like a normal camera otherwise.

bjstare
01-02-2021, 03:57 PM
I know AvertX is a pretty solid system. IIRC it is not the cheapest, but it's good.

muse017
01-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Recently purchased 3 camera Blink system from Amazon and pretty satisfied with the performance and integration with amazon alexa.
Two lithium AA batteries can last up to 2 years according to the website.

benyl
01-02-2021, 05:56 PM
If I had an opportunity like you to wire and design from scratch I would go with a Lorex 4K PoE system. Never used before personally but reviews are great and they seem like they have good support. Costco usually has deals on their packages throughout the year as well.

The price is compelling when you consider one 4K Unifi camera is the same price.

killramos
01-02-2021, 06:00 PM
I least the Unifi cameras have a reasonable % of the camera face as a lens...

those lorex cameras look like they would be useless in the dark.

mr2mike
01-02-2021, 06:41 PM
You guys dropping thousands on cameras so you can see someone checking door handles and crime. My wyze v3's work just fine and way cheaper. I can't see spending more and gaining the same outcomes.
Also my area has action almost nightly. But has slowed since the neighbour got pinched for beating up an old guy for his jacket.
Everyone on my street has cameras. We can clearly identify culprits but cps don't care much so I ask why add $900+ setups?

bjstare
01-02-2021, 06:42 PM
You guys dropping thousands on cameras so you can see someone checking door handles and crime. My wyze v3's work just fine and way cheaper. I can't see spending more and gaining the same outcomes.
Also my area has action almost nightly. But has slowed since the neighbour got pinched for beating up an old guy for his jacket.
Everyone on my street has cameras. We can clearly identify culprits but cps don't care much so I ask why add $900+ setups?

Completely agree, sounds like you should be saving those extra dollars to move out of the ghetto.

Asian_defender
01-02-2021, 06:55 PM
I installed a Costco lorex system for my dad.
Other than some weird DCHP issues with the cameras during installation they've been great.
It's been over a year and cameras have been flawless.
App is a little clunky but video quality make up for it. Cameras have a built in motion sensing flood light so that was a bonus

rage2
01-02-2021, 09:21 PM
My system isn’t to see who’s checking door handles. My system is used to settle fights amongst the children. :rofl:

I need quick replay access to see who punched who first haha.

eblend
01-02-2021, 09:54 PM
I don't have POE (shit was expensive back then) and when I bought my place 12 years ago, I wired it all with Coax. I got 8 cameras total. A few years back changed to HD cameras that run over COAX. Currently use a a SWANN system. The quality if excellent, the interface works fine. It's not as fancy as my Nest Doorbell (alerts when rings, alerts when packaged dropped off/picked up, quick clips preview) but all the data is just written to a local hard drive. I have no use looking at it unless I need to see what happened. I do use video out on the PVR through an ethernet blan to display all my 8 cameras by my front door. When we bought the house this is where a home security system control panel was which was wired with ethernet cable. I bought a cheap flash mount headrest car monitor and recessed it into the wall. It looks pretty slick and techy. I also use the app upstairs on an old android phone that just streams all the time all cameras. I don't use any notifications or anything on these. I am sure there are much slicker systems nowadays, but this still works for me. New place would be POE for sure. Another thing that good with Nest if you have any Google Hubs, they show doorbell camera the moment someone rings it and announce throughout the Google Homes all over the place. My nest, single camera, chews up 300GB/month in bandwidth...couldn't even imagine running multiple cameras.

Anyways, I would get a Lorex system some mentioned form Costco if you on a budget, all go balls deep with a UniFi system (don't know anything about it, so can't comment).

This is my front headrest monitor recessed into drywall. When people come over to pickup shit for Kijiji, they will see it on the way out and think twice about fucking with me haha

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mFz64hC/0/2517be97/X3/i-mFz64hC-X3.jpg

rage2
01-02-2021, 10:07 PM
My nest cameras runs 150gb uploads and 3.5gb downloads per month at the highest quality settings. So ya, basically 1.5tb a month of uploads lol.

colsankey
01-02-2021, 10:13 PM
Avigilon or bust, I thought this forum was full-on ballers spending 250+ on a bottle of wine.

killramos
01-02-2021, 10:34 PM
Avigilon or bust, I thought this forum was full-on ballers spending 250+ on a bottle of wine.

Wrong analogy, real ballers have armed guards.

cyra1ax
01-03-2021, 12:02 AM
My wyze v3's work just fine and way cheaper.

I'm just about ready to abandon my Wyze setup, but wouldn't mind getting a hold of a V3 to try. How did you get yours? Amazon US? Or did you somehow get in on early access?

ThePenIsMightier
01-03-2021, 12:13 AM
I have little to contribute, other than to say that until humans start walking around with license plates pasted to their skulls, stealing packages and prying your door open with a 3' crow bar, the images are unrecognizable unless they are your birth mother. So... I don't see a great solution.

eblend
01-03-2021, 12:58 AM
I have little to contribute, other than to say that until humans start walking around with license plates pasted to their skulls, stealing packages and prying your door open with a 3' crow bar, the images are unrecognizable unless they are your birth mother. So... I don't see a great solution.

Hum...perhaps you got used to watching security footage video on TV in SD...things have definitely changed.

Seems pretty clear to me...?

https://video.nest.com/clip/61a268e3d3f44810b1f9a34e42cd156b.mp4

rage2
01-03-2021, 01:10 AM
Hum...perhaps you got used to watching security footage video on TV in SD...things have definitely changed.

Seems pretty clear to me...?

https://video.nest.com/clip/61a268e3d3f44810b1f9a34e42cd156b.mp4
Yea images are clear but it’s still next to impossible to actually identify the person. Unfortunately, petty crimes aren’t going to be a priority for the police to pursue.

ThePenIsMightier
01-03-2021, 02:14 AM
Yea images are clear but it’s still next to impossible to actually identify the person. Unfortunately, petty crimes aren’t going to be a priority for the police to pursue.

This x1000.
If your literal neighbour steals from you: profit.
Otherwise, take your grainy or 4k HD footage to someone who doesn't recognize them and... Non profit.

benyl
01-03-2021, 10:30 AM
This x1000.
If your literal neighbour steals from you: profit.
Otherwise, take your grainy or 4k HD footage to someone who doesn't recognize them and... Non profit.

Yeah, the purpose for me is not to “catch” what happened. It more to see what is going on around the house.

At our current house, I left our garage door open over night back in September. Some guys came in and took some stuff. They unplugged my Wyze camera. They were wearing masks... lol. So I didn’t see what they riffled through or what they took. With a permanent installation, I should be able to see what was taken. I have no illusion that they will be caught.

With an always on system, I will see the garage is open.

I had to leave my Ring with our old house when we sold it. Not sad about that fact, but do not like that I don’t have the ability to see who is at the door before I get there.

benyl
01-03-2021, 10:46 AM
This is my front headrest monitor recessed into drywall. When people come over to pickup shit for Kijiji, they will see it on the way out and think twice about fucking with me haha

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mFz64hC/0/2517be97/X3/i-mFz64hC-X3.jpg

I like the idea of this. Kinda like what my cousin in Vancouver has. I don’t know if I want it permanent in the wall, but it has it’s merits.

Still want to stream it to the main TV (wife wants to see the kids in the back or front yard if she is inside and they are outside).

killramos
01-03-2021, 10:48 AM
Doorbell cams are great to have.

Aside from that I don’t have any misconceptions that a camera system is at least 79% a toy for me.

I suppose it’s helpful if you have a teenage daughter.

schocker
01-03-2021, 10:52 AM
The main issue with the unifi option is availability of literally any of their products. If you were using unifi for home network also, I suppose that saves some steps if you get a UDM Pro or cloud key plus.
I have all nests but if I was building new it would be all POE. Some of the nest devices at least can be powered by poe to usb splitters if you had wanted to try those. I like having thermostat/smoke detector/camera all in one app, but wish it supported homekit now that I switched to an iphone.

Linus did a couple reviews on unifi
NkjD4xIhfTw
o1cgvG1Yadg

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 10:55 AM
Between Ring, Nest, Dlink, and Arlo, I greatly preferred the Nest. I use the Nest doorbells in addition to Unifi cameras with IR boosters where needed.
You can stream the Unifi cameras to your phone or a tablet if you need it, so the permanent TV is not required. Simply take an old tablet and mount it on a stand somewhere. Having the TV by the door is a touch silly as it is not a convenient location, and allows intruders to figure out where they want to rape you easily.

1 package thief arrested so far.

ExtraSlow
01-03-2021, 10:55 AM
If a system of household cameras is an important part of your parenting plan for a teenage daughter, it doesn't speak well about you.

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 11:01 AM
If a system of household cameras is an important part of your parenting plan for a teenage daughter, it doesn't speak well about you.

Are you and Buster ganging up on your buddy?

killramos
01-03-2021, 11:06 AM

You got to pick and choose. Cameras or no Pop.

mr2mike
01-03-2021, 11:15 AM
I'm just about ready to abandon my Wyze setup, but wouldn't mind getting a hold of a V3 to try. How did you get yours? Amazon US? Or did you somehow get in on early access?

MyUS account, paid for wyze via PayPal, had sent to the MyUS box and reshipped to Canada.

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 11:20 AM
no Pop.

Didn't the Mormons try that? Doesn't seem to work.

killramos
01-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Didn't the Mormons try that? Doesn't seem to work.

Hasn’t it?

ExtraSlow
01-03-2021, 11:40 AM
You got to pick and choose. Cameras or no Pop.

The choice is obvious. It's called respect.

killramos
01-03-2021, 11:42 AM

What kind of sappy BS have you glommed onto in the new year?

ExtraSlow
01-03-2021, 11:43 AM
Trying to do a 'coupe pop callback.

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 11:44 AM
Hasn’t it?

Do we have any Mormons here to confirm? *sips pop*

You've changed dude.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying to do a 'coupe pop callback.

The real MVP is 89wife. Who puts up with this shit?

Buster
01-03-2021, 11:57 AM
the real mvp is 89wife. Who funds this shit.

ftfy

Thaco
01-03-2021, 12:00 PM
i've been looking at a system recently as well because i plan on moving soon, right now we're in a small condo so i just have 2 reolink cameras over IP and blueiris on my PC... but i think when i have the need for it i'll be buying this setup.

It includes 8 cams butthe NVR supports 16 and the cams are only just over $100 each

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082KHKG89/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A22EYB2OIILVQA&psc=1

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 12:08 PM
ftfy

I am patiently waiting for a wife humblebrag. 89wife :love:

HiSpec
01-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Is anyone using the Reolink cameras with an Unifi switch? How would the NVR communicate with the Unifi UDM Pro/Gateway?

Thaco
01-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Is anyone using the Reolink cameras with an Unifi switch? How would the NVR communicate with the Unifi UDM Pro/Gateway?

i have a dream machine (not pro) and access points, but i use my PC with blueiris and set up the stream IP address, i would assume if you can just define a stream IP address in the UDM then it should work fine.... worst case, the camera is $105 on amazon, buy one and find out... if it doesnt work, re-sell or return

benyl
01-03-2021, 12:47 PM
I was just looking on the UniFi forums on how to wire up two door bell cams (one front and one back). Looks like it isn’t well supported and you need 2 separate transformers, can’t just use one big one.

The_Rural_Juror
01-03-2021, 12:54 PM
I was just looking on the UniFi forums on how to wire up two door bell cams (one front and one back). Looks like it isn’t well supported and you need 2 separate transformers, can’t just use one big one.

Nest is pretty easy to wire both to the same transformer. Having Nest and Unifi provides redundancy like your dual Teslas + nice friend to borrow a travel wagon from.

rage2
01-03-2021, 02:05 PM
Don’t get stuck on dual tramsformers. They’re like $10 lol.

killramos
01-03-2021, 02:10 PM
But rewriting them could be an irritant. I guess he’s rebuilding so irrelevant.

rage2
01-03-2021, 02:13 PM
But rewriting them could be an irritant. I guess he’s rebuilding so irrelevant.
Exactly.

I have a whole list of shit I’d wire properly in a new build the day I have to do a new build.

killramos
01-03-2021, 02:20 PM
Man. I would have so much wiring in a new build It would be borderline comical.

benyl
01-05-2021, 11:54 AM

In the US Store, they seem to have a great Wyze competitor.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-cameras/products/unifi-protect-g3-instant-camera

$29 USD

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1439/1668/products/UVC-G3-Mini01_439e4708-f4bf-4609-bdc4-541624afd7b9_grande.png

The_Rural_Juror
01-05-2021, 01:03 PM
That is cheap.

schocker
01-05-2021, 04:51 PM
What you need is this badboy
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-cameras/products/unifi-protect-g4-ptz

It is nice they have a wide range of price point cameras.

killramos
01-05-2021, 04:56 PM
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-cameras/products/unifi-protect-g4-ptz

9 or 10 of those around the house seems like a bare minimum in my books

:rofl:

Buster
01-05-2021, 04:57 PM

I just got a semi.

benyl
01-05-2021, 06:52 PM

CAD price will likely be over $2,500. Most of my neighbours are grandmas, I have no need for 22x optical. I would need to upgrade to PRO switches to power the damn thing.

Thaco
01-05-2021, 07:38 PM
i wouldn't bother with outdoor PTZ in our climate anyway, one place i worked at in IT we were responsible for the security system and they had a giant commercial grade PTZ, heater sin it and everything, and it was always non-functional in the winter.

killramos
01-05-2021, 07:49 PM
My folding mirrors don’t even work when it snows lol

schocker
01-05-2021, 09:18 PM
CAD price will likely be over $2,500. Most of my neighbours are grandmas, I have no need for 22x optical. I would need to upgrade to PRO switches to power the damn thing.
Yeah, I looked that up, I couldn't even power them with my current switch :rofl:
Also 15 lbs with the mount which is pretty beefy. I would need to be a drug dealer before I would get those.

edit: Nest Lives!
https://9to5google.com/2021/01/05/new-google-nest-cam/

Thaco
01-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I looked that up, I couldn't even power them with my current switch :rofl:
Also 15 lbs with the mount which is pretty beefy. I would need to be a drug dealer before I would get those.

i'd need to be a drug dealer before i could afford them.

eblend
01-05-2021, 10:02 PM

Oh I have no illusion that this is for anything more than my own peace of mind, at best, I might be able to catch some porch pirate or some punk kid doing stupid shit and put their picture on the community mailbox haha, just to shame the fuckers. For me it's to basically know what happened, not to catch someone for the deed.