PDA

View Full Version : Border crossing for car parts

4CylFiero
01-05-2021, 03:16 PM
what does everyone know?

I want to purchase about 10K worth of USA manufactured car parts (rims, carbon fiber, exhaust, etc) Is the border open for crossing into Montana to pick this stuff up?

If one was to pick stuff up in Montana would you only have to pay GST on the 10K (ie $500)

Thanks in advance

killramos
01-05-2021, 03:26 PM
You cannot drive across the border unless you are a US citizen or an essential worker.

You are stuck paying someone to cross the border for you.

That and duties in excess of gst are still a thing depending on the time.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2021, 03:39 PM
Get it shipped to your home, you cannot drive across the border.

Thaco
01-05-2021, 03:52 PM
DYKpost has an importing service, you ship it to their warehouse in sweetgrass and they do the brokerage, you pay the taxes/duty and brokerage fee, and for a nominal fee they bring it to calgary.

It's gonna depend on the individual situation as to whether it's worth going that way or just have it shipped direct (if that's even possible)

ThePenIsMightier
01-05-2021, 07:37 PM
I recall a story from an extremely good looking, sensible gentleman who accomplished this feat, years ago. I'll see if I can recall the details...

You get everything shipped to your Vegas hotel's "business center" (exploiting their horse shit "resort fees" for the first time ever) for free and then take it back as predominantly luggage. Claim it at the border as "I bought this on Craig's List, but it's made in USA anyway and it's worth $ _______ (fraction of worth)" and then waltz back into Canada.

It's best to not do this if you happened to already have been to Vegas twice that month, because you're going to get searched and thoroughly examined. Which, you'll still get through.
So I'm told...

*Sorry if this doesn't help if you've already made shipping arrangements, but it's a neat story!

Thaco
01-05-2021, 07:40 PM
I recall a story from an extremely good looking, sensible gentleman who accomplished this feat, years ago. I'll see if I can recall the details...

You get everything shipped to your Vegas hotel's "business center" (exploiting their horse shit "resort fees" for the first time ever) for free and then take it back as predominantly luggage. Claim it at the border as "I bought this on Craig's List, but it's made in USA anyway and it's worth $ _______ (fraction of worth)" and then waltz back into Canada.

It's best to not do this if you happened to already have been to Vegas twice that month, because you're going to get searched and thoroughly examined. Which, you'll still get through.
So I'm told...

*Sorry if this doesn't help if you've already made shipping arrangements, but it's a neat story!

the problem isnt shipping it within the USA, the problem is going to get it with covid travel restrictions.

Tik-Tok
01-05-2021, 07:41 PM
the problem isnt shipping it within the USA, the problem is going to get it with covid travel restrictions.

Maybe ask a MLA to bring it back with them?

ThePenIsMightier
01-05-2021, 07:44 PM

I know. But this still works actually solve that as we may fly to US vacation destinations. This guy just combined it with a vacation.

- - - Updated - - -

Winning!!

ExtraSlow
01-05-2021, 07:52 PM
What I got shipped to Vegas was small items that fit both in my suitcase and within my customs allowance. If you are referring to me.
Not car parts.

ThePenIsMightier
01-05-2021, 08:38 PM
What I got shipped to Vegas was small items that fit both in my suitcase and within my customs allowance. If you are referring to me.
Not car parts.

Not that ridiculously good looking gentleman, no.
This person bought a clutch & flywheel assembly, a turbo, some connecting rods... I can't recall what else.
Luggage was hilarious! One roll of socks plus clutch = 49.97 pounds! Pants plus Turbo = 49.6 pounds!
He put notices in the luggage saying "I BET YOU'RE EXAMINING THIS AND IT LOOKS WEIRD!! IT'S JUST CAR PARTS."

I hear the customs guy was hilarious, too. Surprised it didn't end up on Border Security TV show. Remember that show? The single most horrifically racist, anti-white show in history? It was like C.O.P.S.^-1.
That show was hilarious.

"Oh, you're a harmless Chinese lady trying to sneak in a fucking hockey bag full of raw chicken from China and several cartons of creepy seeds?"
"Don't do that. I'm confiscating this."

"White dude still has half a pack of crushed cigarettes in his back pocket?"
"Didn't claim them. Lifetime ban!"

"Sudanese guy pretends to forget English when they find 35 live exotic pets he's trying to smuggle in?"
"Sent back on next plane with a fine he'll never pay".

"White Chick admits to smoking pot when she was in high school?"
"Full vag exam, no lube!"

"Chinese guy brings pallet of counterfeit Gucci and Versace bags 'as a gift for his mommy'?"
"Come right in!"

"Giant Polish guy gets upset because they can't find him a translator?"
"RCMP tazer him to death". *also real

ExtraSlow
01-05-2021, 09:27 PM
Okay, yeah, I think I just bought a belt and a wallet from Saddleback that time. Felt like a baller telling the hotel I had a package waiting. Wasn't a baller.

- - - Updated - - -

But mirage business desk gives a+ service even to chumps like me.

dirtsniffer
01-06-2021, 12:45 AM
Ive done it a few times with nfl swag from lids or the nfl shop. So much bigger selection down there.

cyra1ax
01-06-2021, 08:49 AM
NGL I've brought car parts home in my luggage from Japan, got it shipped to my hotel, ripped apart all the boxes and stuffed them between clothes. Housekeeping must've wondered wtf was with all the boxes when they came to clean the room.

Shlade
01-06-2021, 08:57 AM

Yes!