PDA

View Full Version : Coal Mining in Alberta

dirtsniffer
01-20-2021, 04:55 PM
Thoughts on the direction of the AB government to allow coal mining in AB.

Personally, I am leaning towards being alright with it.

Grassy mountain will be great for the economy of the pass
No issue with getting the product to international markets
diversifies the provincial economy
probably some spill over to jobs in Calgary

Lots of concerns with selenium leaching, like what's happening in the elk valley, but hopefully there are techniques for new mines to prevent that from happening in the first place.

bjstare
01-20-2021, 05:00 PM
I'm all for it.

vengie
01-20-2021, 05:10 PM
Albertans: "We want jobs! we want industry! stop cancelling our projects!!"

Also Albertans: "Cancel projects! not in my backyard! Rare breeding ground for the Sasquatch!!"

killramos
01-20-2021, 05:10 PM
Saying “leave it in the ground” is a Pretty slippery slope to stand on considering this country’s essential complete reliance on the resource sectors.

It’s messy. Make sure it’s cleaned up and done with reasonable care. Aside from that as long as people are buying we might as well be selling.

Saying “leave it in the ground” might as well be synonymous with “we don’t really want universal healthcare”

dubhead
01-20-2021, 05:14 PM
It’s a hard no from me, tearing up the most beautiful strip of the Province, serious question about water quality at the source of a lot of the provinces drinking water all for what amounts to mice nuts added to the economy

killramos
01-20-2021, 05:16 PM
Mice nuts sounds like a pretty good contribution in 2021.

Buster
01-20-2021, 05:20 PM
Canadians are like a mafia wife. They're vaguely aware that their lavish lifestyle comes from something dirty, but they would still rather not be involved or see it.

killramos
01-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Canadians are like a mafia wife. They're vaguely aware that their lavish lifestyle comes from something dirty, but they would still rather not be involved or see it.

Excellent analogy.

Xtrema
01-20-2021, 05:25 PM
Not sure if that's BS or not, I think people are ok with oilsand type of surface mining but not the mountain stripping type of mining?

But seems like rancher is more worry about water pollution.

Why a thread today? Isn't this a non-story now that UCP cancelled the whole thing?

The question is, why do we need an Australian middle man to sell to the Chinese which is where all these coal going to ultimately ends up anyway for steel production.

And since we all hate the CCP gov and Chinese money, why pollute our environment for them?

kertejud2
01-20-2021, 05:40 PM
Lots of concerns with selenium leaching, like what's happening in the elk valley, but hopefully there are techniques for new mines to prevent that from happening in the first place.

There aren’t. But Teck has been “working on it” for at least a couple decades. So any day now I’m sure.

dubhead
01-20-2021, 05:41 PM
Why a thread today? Isn't this a non-story now that UCP cancelled the whole thing?

Seems that was more of a bait and switch with only a handful of the most recent leases canceled that make up a small fraction of planned development with no real back pedal on policy

kertejud2
01-20-2021, 05:41 PM

They cancelled the lease expansions on Category 2 land. Not the ones people have been concerned about like Grassy.

vengie
01-20-2021, 05:42 PM
There aren’t. But Teck has been “working on it” for at least a couple decades. So any day now I’m sure.

Little tough to do when the initial infrastructure was built in 1845....

But like, new projects starting from scratch will probably have the same issues as Teck.

Xtrema
01-20-2021, 05:47 PM
They cancelled the lease expansions on Category 2 land. Not the ones people have been concerned about like Grassy.

Ah, fell for it.

But like, new projects starting from scratch will probably have the same issues as Teck.

I think they want the mining companies to put it on paper that it won't happen but they can't guarantee it.

Brent.ff
01-20-2021, 05:48 PM

Guess the bait and switch worked..

Reverting of the coal policy with no consultation and having the tourism minister and environment minister tout red tape reduction in writing to Australian coal companies to get a piddly 1% royalty (like ~30 million a year [hey that number sounds a lot like the war room?]) is an embarrassment.

lasimmon
01-20-2021, 05:52 PM
If I had any faith in the Alberta government to have acceptable regulations and make fair value for destroying such an area I could get behind it. But I don’t so I don’t support it.

vengie
01-20-2021, 05:54 PM
I think they want the mining companies to put it on paper that it won't happen but they can't guarantee it.

Can you guarantee you're not going to get hit by a car when you cross the street?

No, but when the correct actions are taken, and correct systems are in place, the probability will be significantly reduced

bjstare
01-20-2021, 05:56 PM
It’s a hard no from me, tearing up the most beautiful strip of the Province, serious question about water quality at the source of a lot of the provinces drinking water all for what amounts to mice nuts added to the economy

"A lot" of the provinces drinking water? You can't be serious.

And tell me when the last time was that you were out to this beautiful strip of our province. I don't mean the mountains in general, I mean literally the actual place they're going to dig up.

Xtrema
01-20-2021, 05:58 PM
Can you guarantee you're not going to get hit by a car when you cross the street?

No, but when the correct actions are taken, and correct systems are in place, the probability will be significantly reduced

Well if AER ain't neutered and actually have proper funding/punishment in place, I probably won't mind. But given how big a of shit show AER is and anything AER dishes out is considered anti-business and being generally toothless, hate to see one of the most scenic area get decimated.

And I still don't get why the Australians are here. The Chinese ban only started a few months ago and I'm glad Australia's lost is our gain but I rather prefer China get coal shortage to let their businesses feel the impact of stupid CCP policies that's causing power outages and steel production disruptions.

dimi
01-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Hard no. I appreciate and support our resource based economy, but having spent considerable time in that specific area, in my view we should be sensitive to the location of development projects. I have 0 faith this can be done in an environmentally sound way, and its likely going to result in the destruction of the water quality of that whole region. Teck is a great example.

Lithium I can certainly back, although I doubt the extraction of that is any more environmentally sound. At least you can spin it in that you're making Teslas...

Brent.ff
01-20-2021, 06:20 PM
And tell me when the last time was that you were out to this beautiful strip of our province. I don't mean the mountains in general, I mean literally the actual place they're going to dig up.

Spend anytime camping, fishing, hunting or hiking the Ft Road, and you’ve been there

revelations
01-20-2021, 06:51 PM
Surface mining in an area with rivers/lakes? No.

U/G mining, yes.

dubhead
01-20-2021, 07:18 PM
"A lot" of the provinces drinking water? You can't be serious.

Well the leases stretch from the Crowdnest to Grand Prarire impacting the old man, Red Deer, and North Saskatchewan river systems that something like 1.8 million Albertans rely on for drinking water.

Spent most of this summer exploring the Forestry Trunk road around Nordegg that is now covered in leases and future mine plans. Haven’t spent as much time down around the Crowsnest since moving to Edmonton but have had some great times camping not far off the mine site down there

vengie
01-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Hard no. I appreciate and support our resource based economy, but having spent considerable time in that specific area, in my view we should be sensitive to the location of development projects. I have 0 faith this can be done in an environmentally sound way, and its likely going to result in the destruction of the water quality of that whole region. Teck is a great example.

Lithium I can certainly back, although I doubt the extraction of that is any more environmentally sound. At least you can spin it in that you're making Teslas...

Lol... your post is a massive contradiction of itself.

I’ll let you figure out which parts specifically.

dimi
01-20-2021, 07:45 PM
Lol... your post is a massive contradiction of itself.

I’ll let you figure out which parts specifically.

Well there’s always going to be a contradiction in a sense. I certainly would like it if these projects can be done in an environmentally friendly fashion but having had a bunch of clients in this field, I realize that’s not always feasible, and it pays for my lifestyle…

That was just an off the cuff example of where if I was making the decision I would support say a lithium mining operation (generally those deposits are in central Alberta if my understanding is correct) which would have very strong demand moving forward vs. an open pit coal mine in the foothills/mountains that is likely to see decreasing demand and much higher environmental impact.

2c

vengie
01-20-2021, 08:05 PM
Well there’s always going to be a contradiction in a sense. I certainly would like it if these projects can be done in an environmentally friendly fashion but having had a bunch of clients in this field, I realize that’s not always feasible, and it pays for my lifestyle…

That was just an off the cuff example of where if I was making the decision I would support say a lithium mining operation (generally those deposits are in central Alberta if my understanding is correct) which would have very strong demand moving forward vs. an open pit coal mine in the foothills/mountains that is likely to see decreasing demand and much higher environmental impact.

2c

Perhaps you should research the purpose of this specific coal and what it will be used for.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2021, 08:09 PM
The public perception of the demand for the commodity should never have any bearing on the approval process for any project. Never.

dirtsniffer
01-20-2021, 08:52 PM

I was doing some reading on saturated rock fill water treatment. Sounds promising, still early for results.

The pass is poor as fuck now. Just across the border there are thriving family communities. A billion dollar investment would be great for the area, and the province.

Xtrema
01-21-2021, 10:16 AM

The coal they are after are for production of high strength steel. Just goes into less sexy part of Tesla.

ThePenIsMightier
01-21-2021, 10:36 AM
I think Canada needs to educate children that we live in a massive country that holds many valuable resources & commodities with very few people to consume them; thus, we are in the business of selling these goods to other users.
Then they need to say that again and again. Then they need to make signs that say that. Then they need to make those signs in French, Cantonese, brail, Hindi, 700 versions of Indigenous, Mandarin, Tagalog, Farsi, etc etc.
All Canadians, everywhere need to understand this.

Then, we need to ensure that the damage to the earth is minimized as much as reasonably practicable based on the value and need for the resource being extracted. Let's ensure that our environmental policies are robust and thoroughly enforced so that our country can proudly stand up and say "we do this properly and are leaders in the responsible extraction of ______ and production of ______".
Which, for the most part, we already are. I think we just need better PR to help our citizens understand this and help us avoid global smear campaigns.

The public perception of the demand for the commodity should never have any bearing on the approval process for any project. Never.

This is a great point.

killramos
01-21-2021, 10:38 AM
I do think the armchair coal mining and reclamation experts on here are very entertaining.

Arbitrary and hypocritical lines in the sand are fun.

BRB need to go drive my steel truck hundreds of km to and from burning fossil fuels the entire time to tear paths through the wilderness for my own entertainment, but resource extraction is bad mmmkay.

bjstare
01-21-2021, 10:47 AM
I do think the armchair coal mining and reclamation experts on here are very entertaining.

Arbitrary and hypocritical lines in the sand are fun.

BRB need to go drive my steel truck hundreds of km to and from burning fossil fuels the entire time to tear paths through the wilderness for my own entertainment, but resource extraction is bad mmmkay.

Unless the resources are for an electric car. Because they have no environmental or carbon footprint.

killramos
01-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Unless the resources are for an electric car. Because they have no environmental or carbon footprint.

Duh. Cause solar panels. Everyone knows that

ThePenIsMightier
01-21-2021, 10:54 AM

Holes in the wall, Bitch! It's not rocket appliances! I drive my car and then I plug it in. The infrastructure to displace the thousands of MW of dead dinosaur power with electricity is already here.
Holes. In the. Wall.

engibeer
01-21-2021, 10:55 AM
I think Canada needs to educate children that we live in a massive country that holds many valuable resources & commodities with very few people to consume them; thus, we are in the business of selling these goods to other users.

This.

Starting with kids in Ontario and BC preferably.

I grew up on the east coast and I remember most years through Primary-Elementary learning about offshore oil extraction, oil refining, and the nickle/iron ore mines. Not sure how the curriculum in the 90's somehow covered this but I'd be willing to bet it no longer exists.

Tik-Tok
01-21-2021, 10:57 AM
I'm with whoever said we won't see enough of the profit.

If we are going to let foreign companies tear up our land, we should make it worthwhile. If the the interested companies decide it isn't worth it at that price, there eventually will be someone who does. Even if there never is, we still have the natural beauty to enjoy.

If the oil royalties were bumped up before 2002, the province would have had a lot more money to enjoy, and oil companies would have invested here because it was still extremely profitable at the time. Let's learn from that.

killramos
01-21-2021, 11:11 AM
Cause the $ in capital expenditures won’t do anything for the economy at all.

Royalties are such a hilarious thing to get upset about, ‘member last time we did a royalty review and how much extra money that made us?

Tik-Tok
01-21-2021, 11:34 AM
Cause the $ in capital expenditures won’t do anything for the economy at all.

Royalties are such a hilarious thing to get upset about, ‘member last time we did a royalty review and how much extra money that made us?

That was a ridiculous waste of time because oil was already in the shitter. If the royalties were raised before the boom, it would have been beneficial. I'm sure less projects would have been started, but that would just have smoothed out our boom/collapse.

We can also leave some natural resources for our kids to mine too, unless you want them collecting mincome.

killramos
01-21-2021, 11:36 AM
How are coal prices doing?

We have no shortage of resources for hundreds of years of development if the demand is there.

vengie
01-21-2021, 11:50 AM

We have no shortage of resources for hundreds of years of development if the demand is there.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

Buster
01-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Then they need to say that again and again. Then they need to make signs that say that. Then they need to make those signs in French, Cantonese, brail, Hindi, 700 versions of Indigenous, Mandarin, Tagalog, Farsi, etc etc.
All Canadians, everywhere need to understand this.

Then, we need to ensure that the damage to the earth is minimized as much as reasonably practicable based on the value and need for the resource being extracted. Let's ensure that our environmental policies are robust and thoroughly enforced so that our country can proudly stand up and say "we do this properly and are leaders in the responsible extraction of ______ and production of ______".
Which, for the most part, we already are. I think we just need better PR to help our citizens understand this and help us avoid global smear campaigns.

You have considerably more optimism than I do in the capacity of the average Canadian brain.

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc

killramos
01-21-2021, 11:53 AM
https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

So not that much better versus historical than when the NDP did their last royalty review? Which did bad because prices sucked. But this time it’s different.

- - - Updated - - -

You have considerably more optimism than I do in the capacity of the average Canadian brain.

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X days of having no savings" etc etc

Ftfy

vengie
01-21-2021, 11:55 AM

"more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc

I mean, we are already sadly WELL on our way there.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3434447/over-half-of-canadians-are-200-or-less-away-from-not-being-able-to-pay-bills/

Xtrema
01-21-2021, 12:31 PM

Artificial bump thanks to the biggest user (China) has banned the biggest exporter (Australia). Creating price bump, shortage and diversification of coal export from other countries.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3117908/chinas-ban-australian-coal-drives-diversification-can-it-fill

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3115119/china-suffers-worst-power-blackouts-decade-post-coronavirus

All over COVID rehtorics.

ExtraSlow
01-21-2021, 01:27 PM
Resource extraction projects do need some regulations and some financial benefit to the ciitzens. But it's absolute insanity to do that kind of review a some kind of twitter/facebook plebiscite for each project.

The Kenney government has ended up going down the path of the Trudeau one, in that they are dealing with these projects based on feelings and whims, and not a clear and transparent process.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Great point. Id rep you if I could

killramos
01-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Colorized photo of current North American regulatory approval processes

ExtraSlow
01-21-2021, 01:37 PM
I spend a lot of time in the mountains, I even consider myself an environmeentalist (before that became a political word) and I work in a resource extraction industry, and I know how those two can sometimees seem to be competing priorities. However, I truly and honestly believe 1) that Canada has the best environmental performance on the planet and 2) that heavy industry is a requirement for the standard of living that we enjoy today.

kertejud2
01-21-2021, 02:40 PM
Best environmental record, but an environmental policy from the 70s had to be scrapped to allow this because it was too restrictive.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2021, 03:06 PM
Didn't the policy ban coal mining? Could they have allowed mining without scrapping it?

Xtrema
01-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Didn't the policy ban coal mining? Could they have allowed mining without scrapping it?

Did we actually ban coal mining or just coal power generation?

kertejud2
01-21-2021, 03:25 PM

Is there a difference between scrapping a policy it and ignoring a policy to do why the policy prevents?

That_Nast
01-21-2021, 03:28 PM
Is there a difference between scrapping a policy it and ignoring a policy to do why the policy prevents?

....wut?

ThePenIsMightier
01-21-2021, 03:30 PM

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc

I'm suggesting that schools start drilling it into the children to enable the show, cultural shift. Kids believe what they are told in school.

ExtraSlow
01-21-2021, 04:03 PM
Best environmental record, but an environmental policy from the 70s had to be scrapped to allow this because it was too restrictive.

I won't defend Kenney on any topic.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2021, 04:25 PM

I don't know what you're saying here.
But if the policy prevented mining where the minable material is and the goal is to mine that material, it's obvious that you need to remove the policy and the year it was written isn't really important.

Brent.ff
01-21-2021, 04:43 PM
The policy banned surface mining in Class 2 areas, so yes to openpit mine at an efficient level they had to remove said policy... that being said, it took 4 years of consultation to install the policy, yet not a second of consultation remove it and then spend tax payer dollars to defend that lack of consultation in court. What stinks about this is the so called Environment minister being the one courting mine companies. How can we possibly expect clear and fair environmental regulatory compliance when the minister is going to personally get involved? It just looks super shady, as is typical with the UCP. I would like to see the tourism dollar comparison to the mines, as the mines seem like a marginal industry when looked at over their lifespan.

I couldn’t find a more hilarious outcome then if the bighorn gets mined and all the OHV crews who fought the park lose access and then get to live downstream of one

AndyL
01-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Will operate coal mining equipment for the standard rate. :rofl:

bjstare
01-21-2021, 06:59 PM
The policy banned surface mining in Class 2 areas, so yes to openpit mine at an efficient level they had to remove said policy... that being said, it took 4 years of consultation to install the policy, yet not a second of consultation remove it and then spend tax payer dollars to defend that lack of consultation in court. What stinks about this is the so called Environment minister being the one courting mine companies. How can we possibly expect clear and fair environmental regulatory compliance when the minister is going to personally get involved? It just looks super shady, as is typical with the UCP. I would like to see the tourism dollar comparison to the mines, as the mines seem like a marginal industry when looked at over their lifespan.

I couldn’t find a more hilarious outcome then if the bighorn gets mined and all the OHV crews who fought the park lose access and then get to live downstream of one

Without having done any research myself, I suspect if you look at tourism vs mining in the location in question (well, anywhere probably), and are expecting the mine to be the one looking marginal, you'll be sorely disappointed.

rage2
01-21-2021, 07:09 PM
Is there a reason why grassy mountain is talked about now? The project has been in the works for 6+ years. Is this just riding the what I’m going to hate today train or is there more to it?

Brent.ff
01-21-2021, 07:41 PM
Is there a reason why grassy mountain is talked about now? The project has been in the works for 6+ years. Is this just riding the what I’m going to hate today train or is there more to it?

Grassy just finished their public engagement so was also being talked about a lot up to the coal leases that were in the news

Brent.ff
01-21-2021, 07:45 PM
Without having done any research myself, I suspect if you look at tourism vs mining in the location in question (well, anywhere probably), and are expecting the mine to be the one looking marginal, you'll be sorely disappointed.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3110ad72-5747-471b-baf1-a779b43f6270/resource/d4715386-3545-430e-81ac-82cf46d5e288/download/alberta-south-2016_final.pdf

Really?

90_Shelby
01-21-2021, 07:59 PM
https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3110ad72-5747-471b-baf1-a779b43f6270/resource/d4715386-3545-430e-81ac-82cf46d5e288/download/alberta-south-2016_final.pdf

Really?

I just skimmed that document but it looks like $563k in tourism revenue in 2016. Are you suggesting that the revenue from a coal mine would be less then that?

Edit: disregard, I just saw the ‘000s

killramos
01-21-2021, 08:12 PM
I just skimmed that document but it looks like $563k in tourism revenue in 2016. Are you suggesting that the revenue from a coal mine would be less then that?

I think those were ‘000s.

The more damning aspects were that almost all of those dollars came from people visiting friends and family, and the lions share of the lions share were dollars from Albertans.

Basically we are talking about bringing in literally no money that wasn’t already here. And I’m sure that money will still be around if we continue to try and destroy our resource sector.

It’s the kind of hypocritical mentality I would expect... from a British Columbian.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2021, 08:16 PM
I think grassy is over a billion in investment just to get it running.

Brent.ff
01-21-2021, 08:46 PM
I think grassy is over a billion in investment just to get it running.

It’s not.
https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/documents/p80101/103941E.pdf

Total 730 mill, ~ 40% of which is foreign spent

For clarity, im not a big naysayer on Grassy, it's going through the IAA system as it should, so be it. I am not a fan of the UCP changing the policy on the Friday of a long weekend in a pandemic, and then pretending that they backed down by removing the most recent leases. Super schyster-y, and so typical of how the UCP feels about the people who elected them..

msommers
01-21-2021, 09:10 PM
Any global energy usage projections I've read have coal essentially flat or very slightly down towards 2050. IMO this is simply because there isn't an economical replacement for steel and cement. So we should capitalize on it and at least know that we're likely the most environmentally responsible ones doing the extracting.

That said it's not perfect, and they need to get their environmental regulations under control, particularly with drinking water. Right now in Elk Valley they're fucking up both Canadian and American waterways and drinking reservoirs. For me that's a hard no until they figure their shit out.

Canada can't get it's act together WRT how it feels about resource extraction. Norway just awarded 61 licenses for the shelf FFS. Now look at the number of blocks sold YoY for offshore drilling by Nwfld....

killramos
01-21-2021, 09:24 PM
Don’t worry Norway balanced it out by having Statoil, or Vrtusgnalco whatever it’s called now, divesting it’s interests in Athabasca.

Progress!

bjstare
01-22-2021, 08:02 PM
I think those were ‘000s.

The more damning aspects were that almost all of those dollars came from people visiting friends and family, and the lions share of the lions share were dollars from Albertans.

Basically we are talking about bringing in literally no money that wasn’t already here. And I’m sure that money will still be around if we continue to try and destroy our resource sector.

It’s the kind of hypocritical mentality I would expect... from a British Columbian.

There's this, and there's also the fact that Alberta South tourism region is literally all of Southern Alberta (excluding greater Calgary area). Not exactly apples to apples.

Regardless, that's kind of beside the point. Tourism and mining development are not (even remotely) mutually exclusive, so drawing the comparison is pointless. Mining development will absolutely not demolish tourism in the Alberta South region; it may have an effect on the specific area that would be dug up, but all the tourism dollars that would be tied to that specific area, would just go elsewhere in the province, like killramos said. This means we'll just be generating that much more revenue (tourism + mining, not just tourism). Double meat subs baby.

Brent.ff
01-30-2021, 08:29 AM
I know. An article from the Tyee, must be left wing propaganda... do we really trust our regulators to hold these guys to account when ministers were going out of their way to encourage this development already?

https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/01/29/Months-Before-Albertans-Told-Coal-Policy-Australian-Miners-Knew/?fbclid=IwAR3QJaPmBtwXXDwpucfgTlM2VeAKXSunai8x3G6x3TWtyah6tacnwdOGIrY

ZenOps
02-01-2021, 06:54 PM
To start from scratch with Lithium is a waste. The only reason lithium is expensive right now is because its only been mined for a decade. Sometime around 2035 ish the limiting factor will be nickel and cobalt for batteries. The investment for lithium is get in - and get out before the decade is out. (Not professional investment advice, just personal)

Lithium ion in a battery is just that, lithium in ionic form. Literally less than 1 gram worth in an 18650 cell.

Lithium in earths crust is an order of magnitude more common than copper, and given enough time - will reflect that commonality by price.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_elements_in_Earth%27s_crust#/media/File:Elemental_abundances.svg

Coal is going to be put under the gun by Biden. We have little say if they do not intend to buy.

ZenOps
02-03-2021, 06:21 AM
https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/transalta-completes-first-off-coal-conversion-and-achieves-major-milestone-in-phase-out-of-coal-867148397.html

ExtraSlow
02-03-2021, 07:02 AM
Burning more methane is a big thumbs up from me.

ZenOps
02-04-2021, 07:20 AM
If you ask me both Kenney and the energy minister are delusional on the demand for coal. All that needs to happen is for China to give up on it, and the worldwide demand will literally be zero once the US shifts away from it.

I'm half thinking its just a game now to keep themselves and their kids employed in the industry.

engibeer
02-04-2021, 10:18 AM
All that needs to happen is for China to give up on it

I don't think they're delusional at all. There's an enormous demand for coking coal (metallurgical > making steel), especially across Asia. This report (https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/ieo/pdf/coal.pdf) is a bit old but provides some more insight on the topic. A lot of it ends up in India.

vengie
02-04-2021, 10:20 AM
Flyash shortage.

Burn more coal

ThePenIsMightier
02-04-2021, 10:28 AM
Flyash shortage.

Burn more coal

Pfffttt! What's flyash, anyways!!? Never heard of it on any of my social media feeds, therefore it's not important.

*nose back into phone... Oh! Juicy Kardashian gossip!

Brent.ff
06-17-2021, 04:17 PM
Grassy Mine: Dead

https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/documents/p80101/139409E.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1aqCfRdW2FFWqEz7rlz4cg6hjTKSadmTj3z4JOnXdCg3YahSsS_d66eaE

I'll eat some crow after this thread, i didnt think AER had the balls. The cynic in me thinks they took it on the chin cause of Nixon/Savage's handling of the file and AER had to prove they had some level of integrity regarding coal (and Ministers claim this as them protecting water)

ExtraSlow
06-17-2021, 04:45 PM
The people who wrote that report do not know what "executive summary" means.

ThePenIsMightier
06-17-2021, 04:56 PM
The people who wrote that report do not know what "executive summary" means.

No shit.
You'd have an Executive Firing Squad before an executive got half way through the "summary".

ExtraSlow
06-17-2021, 04:59 PM
I should work in government. I can execute and executive summary like nobody's business.

Brent.ff
06-17-2021, 07:16 PM
Here’s your executive summary

https://iaac-aeic.gc.ca/050/evaluations/document/139410?fbclid=IwAR2EFQM7vSdgzaOsySivXcOx-qEwuH9FnjeFseZUVtehaXtd3CE8Kfk1sBA

Xtrema
06-18-2021, 05:43 AM
So the lesson is if you got an environmental cause, get some country singers behind it?

ExtraSlow
06-18-2021, 06:07 AM
Big oil needs some country singers.

suntan
06-18-2021, 07:29 AM
Forget that, they need to go straight to K-Pop.

ExtraSlow
06-18-2021, 07:30 AM

Like.

Tik-Tok
06-18-2021, 07:40 AM

You mean blast K-pop in the area 24/7 so the mining company flees in terror?

That_Nast
06-18-2021, 09:35 AM
You mean blast K-pop in the area 24/7 so the mining company flees in terror?

It worked against Noriega