PDA

View Full Version : Buster Reno Thread - Part DEUX

Pages : [1] 2 3

Buster
01-22-2021, 03:50 AM
So it's finally time to get around to upgrading the things I didn't do in 2016.

I'll get to posting some more details, but for now:

1. Rear deck area to be totally revamped.
2. Kitchen will be stripped out and a new one installed. I'm actually probably going to move it across to the other side of the house!
3. Windows/envelope.

My architect is doing some of the drawings and original sketches.

But it is WISH LIST time.

What would be your guys' wishlist for a deck area, and a kitchen?

I've seen other wishlist threads, and they always turn up great ideas I hadn't considered.

finboy
01-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Looking forward to build thread 2.0, red knob everything?

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2021, 07:48 AM
I'd like a kitchen fan (hood fan) with more features than my current setup. Features such as:
a.) Less than 123 dB.
b.) Actually removes smoke and cooking vapours.
c.) Multi-speed that doesn't have all four speeds >120 dB.
d.) Does more than zero of simple things it was exclusively designed to do.
e.) Brings me less rage.

I think these issues are disappointingly common with hood fans, so I think it's worth addressing with your contractor.

ExtraSlow
01-22-2021, 07:54 AM
Commercial extractor fan. If it isn't large enough to require make-up air, it's not large enough.

Buster
01-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Commercial extractor fan. If it isn't large enough to require make-up air, it's not large enough.

I need to look into this. So does The Mighty Penis it seems.

killramos
01-22-2021, 08:30 AM
I'd like a kitchen fan (hood fan) with more features than my current setup. Features such as:
a.) Less than 123 dB.
e.) Brings me less rage.

I think these issues are disappointingly common with hood fans, so I think it's worth addressing with your contractor.

I’ll one up you, mine does all those things yours does, but the buttons are all stuck so the only way to interact with it is to smack it in strategic locations hoping the right function clicks.

bjstare
01-22-2021, 08:37 AM
Put a pot filler above your stove if you haven't already. Drives me nuts we didn't do this when we took our kitchen down to the studs.

I appreciate our dovetail drawers. IIRC the incremental cost to get these over normal ones wasn't a ton, but they're much nicer to look at.

Assume you've thought of it, but toe kick central vac thingie. Another one that we could have done but didn't for some reason.

If you have a lazy susan somewhere in a cupboard, you can get one that has no stripper pole in the middle, it's just flat shelves. It's worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Don't get a Miele fridge/freezer. My parents freezer failed a few months outside warranty period, Miele stopped making replacement parts, and their only suggestion was to replace with a new one. I can tell you the rest of the story sometime if you're interested, but won't clutter the thread. They're happy with all the other Miele appliances.

killramos
01-22-2021, 08:39 AM
Soooooo Subzero?

ExtraSlow
01-22-2021, 08:50 AM
Put a pot filler above your stove if you haven't already. Drives me nuts we didn't do this when we took our kitchen down to the studs.

I appreciate our dovetail drawers. IIRC the incremental cost to get these over normal ones wasn't a ton, but they're much nicer to look at.
I think this is a really nice detail. Doesn't matter to 80% of people, but will be strongly appreciated by the rest. Should also be slightly quieter on closing as well. I hate drawers that "rattle" when you close them. Soft-close hardware is also a good call. Whatever Ikea uses, no joke, I think it's some fancy euro brand you can buy separately.

Not for buster, but for others, if you are buying "entry level" cabinets, you are better off just getting ikea cabinets, as they are similar quality, and during kitchen event, great discount.

ganesh
01-22-2021, 08:57 AM
+1 For Pot filler.
Run the waterline for Cappuccino maker
A double sided Fireplace for the deck.

Buster
01-22-2021, 08:58 AM

Assume you've thought of it, but toe kick central vac thingie. Another one that we could have done but didn't for some reason.

If you have a lazy susan somewhere in a cupboard, you can get one that has no stripper pole in the middle, it's just flat shelves. It's worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Don't get a Miele fridge/freezer. My parents freezer failed a few months outside warranty period, Miele stopped making replacement parts, and their only suggestion was to replace with a new one. I can tell you the rest of the story sometime if you're interested, but won't clutter the thread. They're happy with all the other Miele appliances.

Soooooo Subzero?

No idea on appliances yet. Based on current research, I think people often go Miele dishwasher and then a package of Wolf/SZ to round out the rest. I already have the Miele dishwasher to replace my old one last year, so I'm set there. My brother has a steam oven thing that he really likes. I despise microwaves, but my wife and my inlaws think they are a primary kitchen tool, so I think I will have to get one.

benyl
01-22-2021, 08:58 AM
I need to look into this. So does The Mighty Penis it seems.

Based on my research, short of going full commercial custom, get a https://ventahood.com/.

It doesn't have the "pretty" grill grease catchers, but those are what cause the noise. We are going with a 1200cfm version. It much quieter than anything else I've seen / heard.

Buster
01-22-2021, 09:01 AM
Based on my research, short of going full commercial custom, get a https://ventahood.com/.

It doesn't have the "pretty" grill grease catchers, but those are what cause the noise. We are going with a 1200cfm version. It much quieter than anything else I've seen / heard.

nice. I don't think I will go commercial. But not sure what you mean about the grease catchers being pretty. I need to look into this.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 For Pot filler.
Run the waterline for Cappuccino maker
A double sided Fireplace for the deck.

Double sided fireplace? Do you mean with one side in the house?

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:01 AM
No idea on appliances yet. Based on current research, I think people often go Miele dishwasher and then a package of Wolf/SZ to round out the rest. I already have the Miele dishwasher to replace my old one last year, so I'm set there. My brother has a steam oven thing that he really likes. I despise microwaves, but my wife and my inlaws think they are a primary kitchen tool, so I think I will have to get one.

Make sure when you get your stove, either get the real range top or get a full wolf range. Do not just buy a cooktop no matter how "pretty" it looks.

Check the BTU specs to understand what I mean.

Also dual wall ovens, get way more use than you think they will but dont have to be wolf if you want to save a few $.

On the water line, its not uncommon for your fridge to have a waterline out to minimize filter changing on multiple appliances. Something to think of.

Buster
01-22-2021, 09:03 AM
Make sure when you get your stove, either get the real range top or get a full wolf range. Do not just buy a cooktop no matter how "pretty" it looks.

Check the BTU specs to understand what I mean.

I'm not a fan of cooktops because they often aren't vented and the odd time I want to crust some meat at 550 degrees in the oven I can't without smoking up the house. Wall ovens look nice though.

ganesh
01-22-2021, 09:06 AM
nice. I don't think I will go commercial. But not sure what you mean about the grease catchers being pretty. I need to look into this.

- - - Updated - - -

Double sided fireplace? Do you mean with one side in the house?

Yes one side inside the House.

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:06 AM
You are making me kitchen Jelly. I have been planning a dream kitchen for years haha

Thoughts on the rear deck? Consider putting shutters all around to increase the length of the season? 3 season room style.

Bonus points you don't have to shovel your deck.

Buster
01-22-2021, 09:15 AM
You are making me kitchen Jelly. I have been planning a dream kitchen for years haha

Thoughts on the rear deck? Consider putting shutters all around to increase the length of the season? 3 season room style.

Bonus points you don't have to shovel your deck.

It may be semi covered, I'm not sure. Kinda depends on what the architect comes up with. I'm replacing all of the windows fronting onto the lake and the new deck with big sliding door style ones so we can convert to indoor/outdoor living space when we ant.

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:18 AM
Sounds very practical considering we live in Calgary.

Heck, even if I lived somehow warmer I’d still cover my deck.

Think of all the money you will save on bbq covers

jwslam
01-22-2021, 09:19 AM
Under Cabinet Lighting 100%
Main double sink + extra sink closer to range for quick handwashing
I would actually NOT put the main washing sink in the kitchen island nor facing a window; I want it under a cabinet. See photo; those Finnish people are so smart. (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/b0/ef/f2b0effea925257a312e4f68ee11e835.jpg) Near a window would be idea.
Double dishwasher if I could fit it
That fancy microwave drawer style
Specific storage drawers for pot lids
Pull out hanging shelf for pans (https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/images/organizing-pots-and-pans-pull-out-hanging-organizer-amazon-original.jpg)
Riser for kitchenaid, w/ plug inside that cabinet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LkWY07yEo)
Dedicated "drop zone / phone charging" and "junk drawer" area

Buster
01-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Under Cabinet Lighting 100%
Main double sink + extra sink closer to range for quick handwashing
I would actually NOT put the main washing sink in the kitchen island nor facing a window; I want it under a cabinet. See photo; those Finnish people are so smart. (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/b0/ef/f2b0effea925257a312e4f68ee11e835.jpg) Near a window would be idea.
Double dishwasher if I could fit it
Specific storage drawers for pot lids
Pull out hanging shelf for pans (https://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/images/organizing-pots-and-pans-pull-out-hanging-organizer-amazon-original.jpg)
Riser for kitchenaid, w/ plug inside that cabinet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5LkWY07yEo)
Dedicated "drop zone / phone charging" and "junk drawer" area

This is all great stuff.

That shelf thing above the sink is pure sorcery!

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:26 AM
My caveat with second dishwasher, is if you have a second one somewhere else in the house (bar) then that’s more than good enough for the very few times you need it.

Wrt bulky appliances, get that shut out of the kitchen. Only things that should be in there should be things used daily (toaster if that’s your think, coffee maker if not built in)

Everything else bulky goes in adjacent and separate oversized butlers pantry.

Buster
01-22-2021, 09:32 AM
Right now we have a zojirushi hot water boiler dispenser thing on our counter. We love it, but I can't help but to think there is a better solution for on-demand 195 degree water.

bjstare
01-22-2021, 09:33 AM
I think this is a really nice detail. Doesn't matter to 80% of people, but will be strongly appreciated by the rest. Should also be slightly quieter on closing as well. I hate drawers that "rattle" when you close them. Soft-close hardware is also a good call. Whatever Ikea uses, no joke, I think it's some fancy euro brand you can buy separately.

Not for buster, but for others, if you are buying "entry level" cabinets, you are better off just getting ikea cabinets, as they are similar quality, and during kitchen event, great discount.

Yeah I assumed soft close hardware was a given. We have Blum in our kitchen. Idk where it falls on the spectrum if I'm honest, but I assume not the cheapest, as it doesn't rattle.

I would actually NOT put the main washing sink in the kitchen island nor facing a window; I want it under a cabinet.

This is supposed to be a wish list, not a "things to avoid" list.

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:33 AM
Right now we have a zojirushi hot water boiler dispenser thing on our counter. We love it, but I can't help but to think there is a better solution for on-demand 195 degree water.

Um. Put that fucker under the sink with an extra sink faucet to dispense. Dunno about the brand but we used to have something similar, right next to the RODI faucet.

Disoblige
01-22-2021, 09:43 AM
You mean something more built-in?

That would be nice, but you gotta think how difficult it may be to descale once in a while?

cet
01-22-2021, 09:47 AM

If you have an unfinished basement this is fairly easy to add. I added one in my last house when I was finishing the basement.

tirebob
01-22-2021, 09:49 AM

Bah... If they ain't hand cut you only posing! :rofl:

https://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingtheDrawer_html_47d0c311.jpg

Darkane
01-22-2021, 09:53 AM
You are making me kitchen Jelly. I have been planning a dream kitchen for years haha.

Oldest mid/late 20 year old in history

killramos
01-22-2021, 09:54 AM
Oldest mid/late 20 year old in history

Couldn’t care less. Cooking is easily my favourite hobby.

Zero shame.

Darkane
01-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Couldn’t care less. Cooking is easily my favourite hobby.

Zero shame.

Take it as a compliment. I would.

benyl
01-22-2021, 09:59 AM

Many hood fans have baffles to catch grease. It's a restriction and causes noise.

https://www.blazegrills.com/wp-content/uploads/Vent-Hood-New-Baffles-1.jpg

Ventahood doesn't. So it might look unfinished or like something is missing.

https://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/images/large_no_watermark/khsld_liner.jpg

benyl
01-22-2021, 10:10 AM
Do you have room for a butler kitchen? We are doing a combined pantry butler kitchen (drawings aren't quite finished). All the counter top appliances get hidden in the back with dedicated plugs. The "kitchen" that people see will just have the cook top, the hood fan, and sink in the island. Everything else hidden away in the back. We aren't sure it if will work, but willing to try.

This is the sink we are putting in the island. I hate nothing more when things like baking sheets can't fit in the sink. It's 44" wide.

https://www.kohler.ca/ca/prolific-44-x-18-1-4-x-10-under-mount-single-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-accessories/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/1368615.htm?skuId=1368551&brandId=1092284

https://kohler.scene7.com/is/image/PAWEB/Category_Template?$PDPcon$&$gradient_src=PAWEB%2Forganic-gradient&$shadow_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge1_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge4_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge3_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge2_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$product_src=is{PAWEB%2Fzac33282_rgb}&fmt=webp

Darkane
01-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Do you have room for a butler kitchen? We are doing a combined pantry butler kitchen (drawings aren't quite finished). All the counter top appliances get hidden in the back with dedicated plugs. The "kitchen" that people see will just have the cook top, the hood fan, and sink in the island. Everything else hidden away in the back. We aren't sure it if will work, but willing to try.

This is the sink we are putting in the island. I hate nothing more when things like baking sheets can't fit in the sink. It's 44" wide.

https://www.kohler.ca/ca/prolific-44-x-18-1-4-x-10-under-mount-single-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-accessories/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/1368615.htm?skuId=1368551&brandId=1092284

https://kohler.scene7.com/is/image/PAWEB/Category_Template?$PDPcon$&$gradient_src=PAWEB%2Forganic-gradient&$shadow_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge1_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge4_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge3_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$Badge2_src=PAWEB%2FBlank&$product_src=is{PAWEB%2Fzac33282_rgb}&fmt=webp

I agree about the sink - on the flip side you’re defeating the purpose of a nice big island. If you cook a lot having one without a sink is amazing. Tons of room to work.

Buster
01-22-2021, 10:20 AM

good idea on the sink. I like the idea of a second sink for washing hands and other small things as well.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2021, 10:23 AM
a.) Less than 123 dB.
e.) Brings me less rage.

I've mentioned it before, I've got one of these. 1100 cfm. I need to open a window if I want it on maximum. Mounted in the attic, and very minimal noise.

https://www.broan-nutone.com/en-us/accessory/hlb11

Exhaust can be roof, or wall mounted

96993 96994

Edit: I'm think of putting some hidden ceiling vents in the kitchen ceiling as well, hooked up to a remote damper leading to the fan, so I can hit a switch and the ceiling will exaust the occasional smoke show that happens. The hood fan is too low to capture a lot of it if it isn't turned on quick enough.

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2021, 10:24 AM
A large, single basin sink is twice as good as a double sink.
That ain't no Marth.

Oh, and include plumbing (fed by softened water) for a Saeco or DeLonghi or whatever $1k coffee maker.

ThePenIsMightier
01-22-2021, 10:29 AM
I've mentioned it before, I've got one of these. 1100 cfm. I need to open a window if I want it on maximum. Mounted in the attic, and very minimal noise.

https://www.broan-nutone.com/en-us/accessory/hlb11

Exhaust can be roof, or wall mounted

Edit: I'm think of putting some hidden ceiling vents in the kitchen ceiling as well, hooked up to a remote damper leading to the fan, so I can hit a switch and the ceiling will exaust the smoke from an occasional smoke show that happens. The hood fan is too low to capture a lot of it if it isn't turned on quick enough.

Why open a window when you can wave a kitchen towel at the smoke detector while it's alarming? That's the ExtraSlow way

*Assuming you can hear the smoke detector over my deafening kitchen fan.

benyl
01-22-2021, 10:29 AM
good idea on the sink. I like the idea of a second sink for washing hands and other small things as well.

Second sink in the back in the butler kitchen.

Buster
01-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Here's kinda what I am thinking. The area right now is being used as a TV/family room. But I think it would be better to have the kitchen there.

Rocket1k78
01-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Pop up plugs on the island. Thats what i wanted but i forgot to order them and then the counters came in. I have a plug in on each side of my island but i constantly have cords plugged in there so it looks like shit.
https://www.kitchenpowerpopups.com/collections/all?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvK6vbyw7gIV5D6tBh1U3wBVEAAYASAAEgJZtPD_BwE

a.) Less than 123 dB.
e.) Brings me less rage.

I think where a lot of people buying hood fans run into issues is because you can buy one that looks almost identical to another one thats double the cost. I just bought a new one this summer and i almost grabbed some wayfair special for $450.00 but after talking to another friend who researched the shit out of them he showed me what to look for and thankfully he told me or else id have a 380cfm loud piece of shit. I ended up with one that has 600cfm and it works really good for us and i can have it on high and still talk to people in the kitchen. You need to be checking out the sones level for each hood fan

Make sure when you get your stove, either get the real range top or get a full wolf range. Do not just buy a cooktop no matter how "pretty" it looks..
That is my biggest regret with our reno, we fell for the pretty looks of the glass cook top and its literally the worst fucking thing ever. Doesnt matter what you do you have to use a special cleaner to clean it or else it has burnt on shit all over. My buddy has a new 2 week old one and they dont clean it daily and it looks like a mess

finboy
01-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Not to fully derail, but what is a budget for a “good” hood fan?

Buster
01-22-2021, 04:17 PM
Pop up plugs on the island. Thats what i wanted but i forgot to order them and then the counters came in. I have a plug in on each side of my island but i constantly have cords plugged in there so it looks like shit.
https://www.kitchenpowerpopups.com/collections/all?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhvK6vbyw7gIV5D6tBh1U3wBVEAAYASAAEgJZtPD_BwE

I think where a lot of people buying hood fans run into issues is because you can buy one that looks almost identical to another one thats double the cost. I just bought a new one this summer and i almost grabbed some wayfair special for $450.00 but after talking to another friend who researched the shit out of them he showed me what to look for and thankfully he told me or else id have a 380cfm loud piece of shit. I ended up with one that has 600cfm and it works really good for us and i can have it on high and still talk to people in the kitchen. You need to be checking out the sones level for each hood fan

That is my biggest regret with our reno, we fell for the pretty looks of the glass cook top and its literally the worst fucking thing ever. Doesnt matter what you do you have to use a special cleaner to clean it or else it has burnt on shit all over. My buddy has a new 2 week old one and they dont clean it daily and it looks like a mess

I'll probably get something like this

https://ca.subzero-wolf.com/en/wolf/ranges/dual-fuel/48-inch-dual-fuel-range-6-burners-infrared-charbroiler

Rocket1k78
01-22-2021, 04:19 PM

I paid $800 for mine but ive seen plenty for less. https://victoryrangehoods.com/shop/range-hoods-on-sale/professional-range-hoods-on-sale/professional-hoods-36/victory-twister-36-professional-wall-hood-with-rotary-switches.html

killramos
01-22-2021, 04:25 PM

Fairly expensive actually. I’ve never looked into it substantially but I held back 1,000 bucks on my home purchase because mine didn’t work right on advice of my electrician as the minimum it would cost me to fix/replace.

They didn’t want to fix it.

Rocket1k78
01-22-2021, 04:25 PM
I'll probably get something like this

https://ca.subzero-wolf.com/en/wolf/ranges/dual-fuel/48-inch-dual-fuel-range-6-burners-infrared-charbroiler

I wouldnt expect anything less lol Thats a sick stove!! Thankfully my stove wasnt a ton of money and right now i can kinda deal with the daily heavy cleaning but eventually its gas, the thing that worried me was my daughter is starting to use the stove so i was worried gas would burn her hair.
Cant wait to see this and Benyls renos come along, those are gonna be some sick renos

killramos
01-22-2021, 04:26 PM
48”. Ballin.

Give up on the Mclaren then?

Buster
01-22-2021, 04:34 PM
48”. Ballin.

Give up on the Mclaren then?

Give up on nothing. Ever.

prae
01-22-2021, 05:06 PM
I'm definitely thinking of a cooktop with a griddle on the new build. Wife sent me a fisher & paykel one like https://www.fisherpaykel.com/ca/cooking/cooktops/professional-cooktops/gas-rangetop-48in-griddle-cpv2-485gdn-n-71378.html

They certainly seem cool on paper but in practice I'm wondering how much of a mess they'll create.

benyl
01-22-2021, 05:09 PM

Induction solves this problem.

killramos
01-22-2021, 05:10 PM
Induction lol. People gonna bring that up again.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Induction solves this problem.

Induction is great. Best of all worlds.

Induction lol. People gonna bring that up again.

It truly is superior.

Edit: unless you need your stove to hot knife or make crack or something. Then I suggest gas.

benyl
01-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Induction is great. Best of all worlds.

Yup. I am dealing with a regular glass top in our temporary house and I fucking hate it. I’d rather have coil burners.

90_Shelby
01-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Vroom Vacuflo

Buster
01-22-2021, 05:37 PM
I dont really want induction.

killramos
01-22-2021, 05:37 PM
I’ll cook with fire until Trudeau makes it illegal thanks

Buster
01-22-2021, 05:38 PM
I'm definitely thinking of a cooktop with a griddle on the new build. Wife sent me a fisher & paykel one like https://www.fisherpaykel.com/ca/cooking/cooktops/professional-cooktops/gas-rangetop-48in-griddle-cpv2-485gdn-n-71378.html

They certainly seem cool on paper but in practice I'm wondering how much of a mess they'll create.

griddle or charbroiler thing?

Disoblige
01-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Yes to the griddle. God damn yes.

Burgers, eggs, pancakes, tortillas, steak, Edo... you name it.

Buster
01-22-2021, 05:48 PM
I just use an electric one I haul out when needed. Then I can just toss it when it gets worn out. Seems like a good compromise?

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll cook with fire until Trudeau makes it illegal thanks

ya, big magnets will give you cancer or teh AIDS.

finboy
01-22-2021, 05:51 PM
I wouldnt expect anything less lol Thats a sick stove!! Thankfully my stove wasnt a ton of money and right now i can kinda deal with the daily heavy cleaning but eventually its gas, the thing that worried me was my daughter is starting to use the stove so i was worried gas would burn her hair.
Cant wait to see this and Benyls renos come along, those are gonna be some sick renos

I have stove envy, still hunting used on kijiji for a good one used one. What are you doing for outdoor cooking buster? Stonework pizza oven?

Buster
01-22-2021, 05:56 PM
I have stove envy, still hunting used on kijiji for a good one used one. What are you doing for outdoor cooking buster? Stonework pizza oven?

I'm not sure yet. It depends on the architect a lot. My kitchen is on the main floor, and it's a walkout so you're a story up. So my whole new deck is planned to replace the existing deck and wrap around the side on the outside of the kitchen to the north. I may put my BBQs and such out there on that deck. I don't really plan on doing a big out-door kitchen. But maybe a bar area would be cool.

killramos
01-22-2021, 06:06 PM
griddle or charbroiler thing?

Charbroiler mustn’t be very dirty, so hot it just incinerates everything.

Might be a fun novelty since the 48” will have more burners than you can use anyway.

You planning dual fuel or all gas?

Buster
01-22-2021, 06:52 PM
Charbroiler mustn’t be very dirty, so hot it just incinerates everything.

Might be a fun novelty since the 48” will have more burners than you can use anyway.

You planning dual fuel or all gas?

Dual fuel

ExtraSlow
01-22-2021, 06:53 PM
Yup. I am dealing with a regular glass top in our temporary house and I fucking hate it. I’d rather have coil burners.

Yes, when it comes to electric options.
Regular glass < coils < induction.

I have regular glass and it's horseshit and literally the worst thing in my entire house.

killramos
01-22-2021, 06:56 PM
Dual fuel

I have all gas right now, I don’t hate that aspect of it. Wish the broiler was better designed but gas broiler is kindof fun

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 12:34 PM
-1 on the Subzero fridge.

It's buying a Maybach instead of an S-Class.

killramos
01-23-2021, 12:39 PM
I’m not nearly as into SZ as I am Wolf.

Different strokes.

benyl
01-23-2021, 12:43 PM

I have a hard time with this.

The maintenance nightmares I’ve heard from people make me want to stay away.

I was looking at Dacor, until I found out Samsung bought them. The high end Samsung Fridges have the same hinges.

I think I’m sticking with trusty Bosch and Kitchen Aid.

suntan
01-23-2021, 12:57 PM

96991Although English dovetails look nice, the French dovetail is probably more appropriate for kitchen drawers.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 01:23 PM
I have a hard time with this.

The maintenance nightmares I’ve heard from people make me want to stay away.

I was looking at Dacor, until I found out Samsung bought them. The high end Samsung Fridges have the same hinges.

I think I’m sticking with trusty Bosch and Kitchen Aid.

I don't understand. My post is against SubZero and yours appears to be, as well. ??

They're fantastic, but so are fridges half the price. One of my friends who had one actually sold it in favour of a new model that was like half the money.
And OmG they are hilariously heavy!

Buster
01-23-2021, 01:32 PM

whats the S class equivalent?

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 02:35 PM
whats the S class equivalent?

I'll try and confirm. I think one of them is a Kitchen Aid but that sounds wrong. I'll find out what the one dude bought to replace his.
Let me get back to you.

killramos
01-23-2021, 02:46 PM
Miele makes a good built in fridge to my knowledge.

But I think panelled appliances are massively overrated. With maybe the exception of a panelled undercounted pullout supplemental fridge.

Everyone knows it’s a fridge. Hiding it seems silly.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 03:24 PM
Oh and in the meantime, take Gaggenau off the list before it ever gets on.

bjstare
01-23-2021, 03:47 PM
Miele makes a good built in fridge to my knowledge.

But I think panelled appliances are massively overrated. With maybe the exception of a panelled undercounted pullout supplemental fridge.

Everyone knows it’s a fridge. Hiding it seems silly.

My parents built in Miele was not good. Anecdotal experience though.

My dad was pissed they stopped making replacement parts, as his friend with like a 50 year old sub zero had his repaired around the same time haha.

Buster
01-23-2021, 03:49 PM
I'm open to competitors on the fridge side of things. But the more mainstream consumer brands seem like a step down. Does anyone other than SZ make a high end fridge?

prae
01-23-2021, 03:51 PM
One of the best things we did in this kitchen was put a 3” jog in the wall where the regular fridge rolls in. Gives you a “counter depth” fridge appearance without having to buy a lame and shallow fridge.

In our new build I hope to do something similar. Don’t want to splash out on an expensive built in fridge that will just burn us on maintenance costs.

BavarianBeast
01-23-2021, 07:41 PM
3 things I love in my kitchen that I’ll probably do at all my properties eventually;

- heated floors for cooking breakfast barefoot
- heated counters for enjoying warm cup of coffee on in the morning
- central vac routed to kitchen island with sweep inlet for easy cleanup

ExtraSlow
01-23-2021, 08:08 PM
Wow, I have never experienced a heated counter. Incredible.

BavarianBeast
01-23-2021, 08:15 PM
They’re actually amazing. Convinced my mom to do it on her kitchen

https://www.sprucemagazine.ca/tuscan-takeover/

Buster
01-23-2021, 08:22 PM
3 things I love in my kitchen that I’ll probably do at all my properties eventually;

- heated floors for cooking breakfast barefoot
- heated counters for enjoying warm cup of coffee on in the morning
- central vac routed to kitchen island with sweep inlet for easy cleanup

Awesome!

npham
01-24-2021, 11:15 AM
I saw this video a while back and love the walnut cabinets. But more specifically, it's the uppers on this build is awesome as I love the variety over seeing the same shit in every kitchen. Might not be needed since you have the space, but over a coffee bar or a butler's pantry could work:

Edit: Around 13 minutes is where you see the uppers being finished.

https://youtu.be/kNXX8Bb84iA?t=784

dirtsniffer
01-24-2021, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to seeing the outdoor kitchen. And some solid wood cabinets

tirebob
01-24-2021, 12:50 PM
They’re actually amazing. Convinced my mom to do it on her kitchen

https://www.sprucemagazine.ca/tuscan-takeover/I actually love a cool/cold countertop, just because when you are hung over and decide to splay out on it the cool is refreshing lol! Yes, I have been known to do that...

Rocket1k78
01-25-2021, 11:35 AM
I'm open to competitors on the fridge side of things. But the more mainstream consumer brands seem like a step down. Does anyone other than SZ make a high end fridge?

Thermador? My bro bought a place last summer and the previous owner went balls to the wall with thermador appliances but then lost the house to the bank, we worked it out and the appliance package in the kitchen was around 70k.

killramos
01-25-2021, 11:38 AM
I think the biggest rule to follow is don’t get hung up on buying all of the same brand of appliances.

Chances of any one brand making the best of everything? Slim.

Rocket1k78
01-25-2021, 11:53 AM
I think the biggest rule to follow is don’t get hung up on buying all of the same brand of appliances.

I got major ocd about shit matching so it would drive me nuts to have a bunch of different brand appliances:facepalm: And i would also guess a lot of the buyers of these high end brands arent really caring so much about having the absolute best performing item

killramos
01-25-2021, 11:58 AM
I guess it depends on your relative value of form versus function.

Even if you do value form, chances of one brand making the vest looking appliances across the board? Also slim.

you&me
01-25-2021, 12:03 PM
I got major ocd about shit matching so it would drive me nuts to have a bunch of different brand appliances:facepalm: And i would also guess a lot of the buyers of these high end brands arent really caring so much about having the absolute best performing item

I'm with you on that OCD...

You're also generally at a point of diminishing returns... While one might make a slightly better oven and another might make a slightly better refrigerator, I would expect any of the high end brands will perform within a fairly close range.

finboy
01-25-2021, 09:27 PM
Thermador? My bro bought a place last summer and the previous owner went balls to the wall with thermador appliances but then lost the house to the bank, we worked it out and the appliance package in the kitchen was around 70k.

Reminds me of my uncles place, he bought it from the bc courts, old guy went balls out on everything in the house and then died before moving in, family got the bills and the place got foreclosed. Based off the high end appliances on kijiji (there are people who seem to have businesses flipping them), it makes me wonder how many former o&g workers lost everything to the bank.

I’m with you, I’d rather have the items that are buy-once/cry-once and never have to think about them again, instead of buying all one brand when they have reliability issues with fridges, or ovens, etc.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Is there any solid data that suggests spending more actually gets you superior reliability? I've actually heard the opposite, although that's just an anecdote, and subject to my nasty cheap confirmation bias.

Tik-Tok
01-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Is there any solid data that suggests spending more actually gets you superior reliability? I've actually heard the opposite, although that's just an anecdote, and subject to my nasty cheap confirmation bias.

I think there's a plateau of price point against reliability. If the electronic boards are made in China, a $7500 dishwasher will have the same reliability as a $2500 one.

ExtraSlow
01-26-2021, 07:44 AM
Hah, what about the $750 one?

dirtsniffer
01-26-2021, 08:36 AM
As long as it's not a Samsung

Rocket1k78
01-26-2021, 10:59 AM
The only guarantee you get with paying more for a high end appliance is that the repair bill will be way more lol My bro has a built in thermador espresso machine and it wasnt working when he got the place, cost him $1200 to repair it

What are you a student or something:rofl:

ExtraSlow
01-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Not a student. A cheapskate.

killramos
01-26-2021, 11:03 AM
I would also argue if you don’t care about nice appliances then that isn’t a good use of money for you. I find the little extra features, details, design, build quality interesting and matter to me.

Aside from that most of them pretty much all look the same on the outside if all you care about is eventually taking photos of the kitchen for a home sale.

It’s like anything else, we all have dumb things we like to throw money at.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2021, 11:23 AM
It’s like anything else, we all have dumb things we like to throw money at.

Hey now, no need to call strippers dumb.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2021, 12:03 PM

Having seen the guts of a $800 Bosch, and a $2500 Bosch dishwasher, the $2500 will be more reliable for moving parts, but the same reliability for the brains.

prae
01-26-2021, 10:39 PM
My builder just recommended we look at bertazzoni appliances. IDK seems like the Alfa Romeo of home appliances.