PDA

View Full Version : Cars with electric preheat - EV and PHEV or anything else?

ExtraSlow
01-23-2021, 11:01 AM
Mind was wandering today. Ya know how many (most?) full electric vehicles have electric cabin heaters that you can turn on remotely with an app or something to preheat your car before you leave? Uses the "wall" electricity and not depleting the battery?

How widespread is that feature? And do any cars that are NOT full EV have it? Some PHEV must?

Any pure gasoline cars do this? Would be amazing for my wife who remote starts for 10+ minutes at least a hundred days a year.

I guess there's the old 120v heaters that people used to use. Run that on a timer?

Anywhoo, just where my mind is wandering today.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 11:06 AM
I heard of a higher end Buick many years ago that had some sort of radiant heaters in the headliner panels. But I'm sure it only worked after starting.
Still... It would instantly warm you.

Those ancient interior heaters caused so many car fires! I'm not sure if they exist anymore. Probably do, but with actual safety features.

ExtraSlow
01-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Ford super duty diesels have a "rapid cab heater" system that uses electric heat for the cab once the engine is running. Means you don't need it idle long to warm the cab. Be neat to run that on "shore" power.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Some diesels have ceramic supplemental heaters. My 335d does and creates heat quite quickly, combined with the heated steering wheel and seats even my gf doesn’t complain on a cold start. I hate idling vehicles excessively from cold start personally.

killramos
01-23-2021, 11:12 AM
My understanding is bmw has an electric preheat for windshield defrosting, at least in some cars.

dj_rice
01-23-2021, 11:13 AM
MB Sprinters have Webasto heaters that can heat the cabin with a remote.

AndyL
01-23-2021, 11:21 AM

Pretty much all diesel trucks have the option / hook ups for webasto's. Best option ever! :)

The good old vw style (since they didn't do block heaters) retrofit circulating coolant heaters only are good for 5-10deg c. So not blowing hot air but at least warm air right from startup are 110v.

Tik-Tok
01-23-2021, 01:06 PM
The Outlander PHEV has preheat, though everything I've read it's fairly useless in our winters, and the ICE will turn on anyways if you aren't parked in a +10 garage.

mrsingh
01-23-2021, 01:33 PM
The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport PHEV's have pre-heat and pre-cool as well.

Strider
01-23-2021, 02:38 PM
At some point in time, BMW offered DEFA packages which would include a plug in engine heater, battery charger, and cabin heater... and I know how much you like battery charging.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 02:45 PM
At some point in time, BMW offered DEFA packages which would include a plug in engine heater, battery charger, and cabin heater... and I know how much you like battery charging.

I thought BMW was stubbornly, fundamentally opposed to block heaters.
"It has synthetic oil and it's expensive, therefore it'll start."

killramos
01-23-2021, 02:52 PM
They were technically inline coolant heaters. Not block heaters.

Actually, way better than a resistant sticker on the oil pan.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 06:10 PM
When I say "block heater" I mean an element that goes in a frost plug and heats the coolant. Is that not what everyone means?
Those magnet oil pan things are toys from Pep Boys.

haggis88
01-23-2021, 06:12 PM

do they still sound like jet engines?

eglove
01-23-2021, 09:15 PM
https://www.defa.com/ca/warmup-heating-charging-system/engine-heaters/

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 09:40 PM
https://www.defa.com/ca/warmup-heating-charging-system/engine-heaters/

Oh thanks. Now I understand. I didn't realize DEFA was the name of a company that someone is saying they apparently partnered with.
What's next? BMW's without RunFlat tires?!

ExtraSlow
01-23-2021, 09:42 PM
Coolant heaters are awesome.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-23-2021, 09:46 PM
Oh thanks. Now I understand. I didn't realize DEFA was the name of a company that someone is saying they apparently partnered with.
What's next? BMW's without RunFlat tires?!

BMWs have been available without them for a long time old man.

ThePenIsMightier
01-23-2021, 10:01 PM
Coolant heaters are awesome.

I know!!
I was going to put a Webasto into an old Beirut Taxi that I had. I figured I could remove it and sell it separately when I was done with the car.
Speaking of that car - it had the dumbest thing I've seen Mercedes do with this heating system for the wiper fluid where they plumbed a coolant line into a coil in the washer fluid reservoir. It made it so simple and easy to melt the ice crusted on your windshield because all you had to do was start the car and wait 15 minutes for its giant V8 to heat up and circulate coolant (that loved to leak) into the washer fluid!
Problem solved for wealthy diplomats, everywhere!

arcticcat522
01-24-2021, 07:41 AM
do they still sound like jet engines?

Yes. Have one for the cabin and one for the engine in my GMC