PDA

View Full Version : USA healthcare is weird and expensive.

ExtraSlow
02-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Further to the conversation in the travel thread about snowbirds. More fun stuff from USA healthcare in a clickbaity article :
https://jalopnik.com/injured-in-a-crash-some-hospitals-will-skip-the-insura-1846196435

Xtrema
02-04-2021, 01:15 PM
If the commenters to be believed, hospitals pulling this are on their last leg due to a stressful year thanks to COVID.

dirtsniffer
02-04-2021, 01:22 PM
ahhh jalopnik. same place that said in the trx review that the trucks emissions were too high.

ThePenIsMightier
02-04-2021, 03:43 PM
I've been to an ER in Las Vegas due to a mysterious, severe allergic reaction. Treatment consisted of zero care until credit card is produced & swiped with a large pre-auth, waiting for fucking ever and eventually getting an injection of benadryl + Pepcid administered in a way that's forbidden in Canada. No x-rays, scans, blood testing or anything else.
The bill was over $7k USD (may need to dig up records as I can't recall if it was even more than that).

Insurance covered everything except the cab back to the hotel (covered the one there, though... LoL!) but the hospital will still mail you collection agent, scary, threatening bullshit about your unpaid bill, even though your insurance company is supposed to be dealing with everything.

I don't want to live there.
Oh and while I was in the waiting room, a lower income black female had obvious signs of severe kidney disease/failure and she had to ignore the doctor's advice and leave because she didn't have any money and couldn't miss work tomorrow.

Bombs bursting in air!

tirebob
02-04-2021, 04:29 PM
I've been to an ER in Las Vegas due to a mysterious, severe allergic reaction. Treatment consisted of zero care until credit card is produced & swiped with a large pre-auth, waiting for fucking ever and eventually getting an injection of benadryl + Pepcid administered in a way that's forbidden in Canada. No x-rays, scans, blood testing or anything else.
The bill was over $7k USD (may need to dig up records as I can't recall if it was even more than that).

Insurance covered everything except the cab back to the hotel (covered the one there, though... LoL!) but the hospital will still mail you collection agent, scary, threatening bullshit about your unpaid bill, even though your insurance company is supposed to be dealing with everything.

Oh and while I was in the waiting room, a lower income black female had obvious signs of severe kidney disease/failure and she had to ignore the doctor's advice and leave because she didn't have any money and couldn't miss work tomorrow.

Bombs bursting in air!

When my wife was pregnant with our son when we were first married she didn't have any status in Canada yet so she did her pregnancy and birth in Washington because she had US insurance still. Everything was supposed to be covered. When she went into labour and went through child birth she needed an epidural. All went well and I have to say the standard of care was stellar!

Then 3 weeks after our son was born we got a bill in the mail saying everything except the epidural was covered and they wanted payment for almost $15,000 just for that!!! I almost choked! Fortunately with a couple phone calls they confirmed that she was actually covered and we didn't have to pay anything, but it sure woke me up to the costs of US medical care quickly!

Buster
02-04-2021, 04:34 PM

Bombs bursting in air!

No end of things you can catch from those midget* prostitutes.

* I don't care waht you are supposed to call midgets.

D'z Nutz
02-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Between my friends and I, we all have an understanding that should anything bad happen to us while vacationing in Washington/Idaho/Montana to just drive back to Canada and take the injured to the nearest hospital after crossing the border.

Buster
02-04-2021, 04:36 PM
When my wife was pregnant with our son when we were first married she didn't have any status in Canada yet so she did her pregnancy and birth in Washington because she had US insurance still. Everything was supposed to be covered. When she went into labour and went through child birth she needed an epidural. All went well and I have to say the standard of care was stellar!

Then 3 weeks after our son was born we got a bill in the mail saying everything except the epidural was covered and they wanted payment for almost $15,000 just for that!!! I almost choked! Fortunately with a couple phone calls they confirmed that she was actually covered and we didn't have to pay anything, but it sure woke me up to the costs of US medical care quickly!

If you think Americans have expensive healthcare, you should see Canada's.

tirebob
02-04-2021, 04:40 PM
If you think Americans have expensive healthcare, you should see Canada's.

Oh I realize what it actually costs in the back end and taxes, but I am talking about when you are shocked with a surprise invoice when you are young and just starting out while making $30,000 a year haha! Half a years pre-tax wages just for one shot in the back was an eye opener!

Xtrema
02-04-2021, 04:46 PM

My cousin in Virginia got prego eons ago and her hubby is Catholic so aborting is out of the question and they can't really afford a kid at that stage. He ended up frantically switching job for just the right coverage before baby was born.

And after seeing how my mom gone thru cancer treatment here and how my cousin's mom gone thru the same in Virginia, the quality of care and follow up is definitely way better in Canada and getting sick never carry any financial risk. Her mom (late 60s) is still working to keep health coverage.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 04:55 PM
If you think Americans have expensive healthcare, you should see Canada's. True, it really makes it seem even more ridiculous when Americans still somehow pay more per capita for less service

ThePenIsMightier
02-04-2021, 04:55 PM
No end of things you can catch from those midget* prostitutes.

* I don't care waht you are supposed to call midgets.

Don't I know it!
But I also know, it was totally worth it to live out that Dorf On Golf fantasy.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 04:58 PM

Bombs bursting in air!
At least there was the option of relying on the credit card, my friend had travel insurance but it was taking forever to get it figured out and he kept saying "I can pay for this right now just give me treatment"
"but sir it could be as much as $5,000"
"yes fine whatever I can afford that many times over, and I'll get it back later, here's my credit card"
"sorry sir this will have to go through your insurance now so we can be sure you can afford this"

ridiculous

Masked Bandit
02-04-2021, 05:01 PM
The entire health care situation in the US is a 100% deal killer for me ever living there. I've read quite a lot regarding all things early retirement and the constant theme that the Americans stress over is healthcare costs and that's just not something I need to think about here. It's a deal breaker.

Xtrema
02-04-2021, 05:04 PM
The entire health care situation in the US is a 100% deal killer for me ever living there. I've read quite a lot regarding all things early retirement and the constant theme that the Americans stress over is healthcare costs and that's just not something I need to think about here. It's a deal breaker.

It's fine if you are rich. Sucks for average folks. The fact that your life's major decisions revolves around health coverage seems awful.

Buster
02-04-2021, 05:14 PM
True, it really makes it seem even more ridiculous when Americans still somehow pay more per capita for less service

Why do I care what it costs per capita. I only care about what things cost per me.

Buster
02-04-2021, 05:18 PM
It's fine if you are rich. Sucks for average folks. The fact that your life's major decisions revolves around health coverage seems awful.

Canadians are doing exactly the same thing.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 05:26 PM
Why do I care what it costs per capita. I only care about what things cost per me. And how would this differ?

spikerS
02-04-2021, 05:28 PM

I have been saying this for years. I had a job offer with a major telecom in the states, and they were willing to give me my magic number to make me leave, but they wouldn't match my current healthcare benefits, and for that alone it was a deal breaker.

Buster
02-04-2021, 05:46 PM
And how would this differ?

Because half of Canadians don't pay anywhere near enough tax yup cover their healthcare costs.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Because half of Canadians don't pay anywhere near enough tax yup cover their healthcare costs. Which is true in America as well. You'd be paying for Medicare, Medicaid, the general mark-up in costs due to uncovered bills, and on top of that insurance.

nzwasp
02-04-2021, 05:49 PM

Bombs bursting in air!

This wasn’t my experience I don’t think it’s always scary.

Two times I have had to use hospital in the USA.

In 2007 I broke my arm while drunk in California I think I was in Santa Barbara at the time. I went to the hospital there pulled out my rbc insurance card. Everything was covered. I think it was 30k for a cast on it.

In 2014 we took our daughter to Disneyworld and we were staying on the resort. She ended up getting a high fever whilst at animal kingdom and We went to the first aid station at disneyworld they basically ushered us out the back and drove us in some unmarked van to the hospital. We produced our sunlife insurance from work and they covered it all didn’t have to pay anything. It was $2k for some bloodwork and Tylenol. Disney then gave us some merch and a free day pass to one of the parks.

Buster
02-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Which is true in America as well. You'd be paying for Medicare, Medicaid, the general mark-up in costs due to uncovered bills, and on top of that insurance.

And you think that makes up for the income tax we pay here?

Our "free" healthcare system is just a transfer of wealth.

- - - Updated - - -

You're also placing a decades long bet on Canada by retiring here. Is Canada a country you want to bet on?

ThePenIsMightier
02-04-2021, 06:27 PM
In my story, there was no payment for anything at the hospital and insurance was produced and it all went through. The credit card was a backup and it wasn't actually charged. That's seemed clear to me, but maybe my explanation wasn't clear?

The shitty letters were apparently because the insurance co was negotiating with the hospital and dragging things on so apparently the hospital gets pissy and threatens the patient.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 06:32 PM

:dunno: stand on principle if you like, I'd be more concerned about the actual money involved than some vague notion of wealth transfers. Especially since the exact same thing is happening with regard to health care in America

topmade
02-04-2021, 06:44 PM
I have been saying this for years. I had a job offer with a major telecom in the states, and they were willing to give me my magic number to make me leave, but they wouldn't match my current healthcare benefits, and for that alone it was a deal breaker.

It's because US heath care is expensive as hell and can be easily over $2k/month for a small family. They would need to substantially increase your salary to cover that cost. We closed an office in SD and this was one of the main concerns for the staff that were all let go because our company subsidized a big chunk of it for them.

Buster
02-04-2021, 06:51 PM
:dunno: stand on principle if you like, I'd be more concerned about the actual money involved than some vague notion of wealth transfers. Especially since the exact same thing is happening with regard to health care in America

I'm concerned about actual money involved when the transfer is from me to someone else.

dirtsniffer
02-04-2021, 06:59 PM
If I tore my ACL in the USA I could be scheduled in for an mri in 2 days and surgery the next week.

Here you remain injured for so long it heals wrong and then you get surgery a year later and have to heal all over again. As long as you can afford it or have insurance, their care is not even in the same league.

revelations
02-04-2021, 06:59 PM
Doesent healthcare costs/service/insurance vary widely from state to state down there?

Buster
02-04-2021, 07:03 PM
The ONLY major thing Canadians do better than Americans is the number of guns running around on the publics streets.

Maybe Canada has better zoning laws in most municipalities.

Antonito
02-04-2021, 07:04 PM
I'm concerned about actual money involved when the transfer is from me to someone else. Then we agree, American health care would be disastrous for your pocketbook

Buster
02-04-2021, 07:04 PM
Then we agree, American health care would be disastrous for your pocketbook

No, it wouldn't be.

sexualbanana
02-04-2021, 07:20 PM
A few years back, I went to my physician about some mild stomach discomfort. He ended up sending me to the ER so they could run further tests. After a day of tests, they conclude that I have a ruptured appendix and needed to schedule me for emergency surgery. Out of curiosity, I decided to look up what the cost of an appendectomy was in the US. The answer: minimum $30k. I couldn't imagine having to face that decision if the surgery wasn't covered.

I bring that up because I also like watching shows like Botched and Dr Pimple Popper. It's crazy to watch these patients who have to live for years with these giant growths on their bodies and heads. It occurred to me that that may be a symptom of the medical system, that they have to basically get cast as a freak show in order to get the proper treatment at an affordable (or free) price.

kertejud2
02-04-2021, 07:20 PM

Healthcare isn't what makes our taxes higher than the U.S.

To match public healthcare spending with the U.S. our taxes would have to go up. Considerably. The U.S. public healthcare spending burden is much higher than Canada's.

https://data.oecd.org/healthres/health-spending.htm

Antonito
02-04-2021, 07:25 PM
No, it wouldn't be.
You put an enormous dollar value on your feelings and emotions

Buster
02-04-2021, 08:07 PM
Healthcare isn't what makes our taxes higher than the U.S.

To match public healthcare spending with the U.S. our taxes would have to go up. Considerably. The U.S. public healthcare spending burden is much higher than Canada's.

All I care about is how much I pay in taxes and what I get for it.

kertejud2
02-04-2021, 08:31 PM
All I care about is how much I pay in taxes and what I get for it.

Good to know it’s not about healthcare as a transfer of wealth, then.

Buster
02-04-2021, 08:35 PM
Good to know it’s not about healthcare as a transfer of wealth, then.

do you read what you write before you type it? Or is it a random word generator?

kertejud2
02-04-2021, 08:45 PM
do you read what you write before you type it? Or is it a random word generator?

You’re upset that healthcare in Canada transfers more of your wealth to others than it would in the U.S. via taxes even though the healthcare in the U.S. transfers more of your wealth to others via taxes, meaning the difference is attributable to other things.

What am I missing?

If the U.S. had Canadian healthcare they could have lower taxes. If Canada had American healthcare we’d have higher taxes, because American healthcare, both public and private, is more expensive, which is the point of the thread.

Buster
02-04-2021, 08:50 PM
What am I missing?

You're finally asking the right questions.

jutes
02-04-2021, 08:57 PM
If the commenters to be believed, hospitals pulling this are on their last leg due to a stressful year thanks to COVID.

By stressful you mean not having the same number of customers in ERs because they are avoiding them? Hospitals in the US are glorified businesses under the guise of healthcare. Nothing wrong with that, if you can afford it.

ExtraSlow
02-04-2021, 09:15 PM
All this arguing is going to lead to some very steamy sex, if the videos I've been watching are true.

ThePenIsMightier
02-04-2021, 11:59 PM
All this arguing is going to lead to some very steamy sex, if the videos I've been watching are true.

Didn't you just finish watching the snow shoveling multiple homicide video??

Masked Bandit
02-05-2021, 07:10 AM
You're also placing a decades long bet on Canada by retiring here. Is Canada a country you want to bet on?

Compared to the Excited States, oh fuck ya! I'm not saying Canada isn't without it's problems but Canadians don't have to worry about medical expenses bankrupting them.

max_boost
02-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Has anyone actually been through the medical system in the USA and where? Or all y’all just stating opinions of what you think goes down? It’s a lot different when you actually talk to friends who moved there. It’s not exactly doom and gloom like some of you paint it. I agree with buster lol I wouldn’t really bet on Canada lol everything free without an economy to back it up.

killramos
02-05-2021, 07:57 AM
Compared to the Excited States, oh fuck ya! I'm not saying Canada isn't without it's problems but Canadians don't have to worry about medical expenses bankrupting them.

Medical expenses no, taxes? Absolutely.

Buster
02-05-2021, 09:09 AM

The bet I'm referring to is that Canada will stay status quo for decades. It won't. This version of Canada isn't some permanent institution. It is more like an experiment that isn't going well and won't last.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Sorta on-topic, but someone with better google than me can probbaly dig up how much per person the GOVERNMENT in the USA pays for healthcare. It's not small is it?

SkiBum5.0
02-05-2021, 10:01 AM
We had two kids in the US, my wife had weekly Ultrasounds for 24 weeks, and I can tell you it’s not the shit show everyone here is describing. When you take a job, one of the main criteria is medical coverage, in addition to salary, vacation etc. Same as Canada.

They have an effective triage system in the form of 24 hour Urgent Care clinics that handle everything from broken bones to high fevers. What you don’t get in the US, is everybody using the ER like their personal doctor, you don’t get baby tourism like you do here (not uncommon to a woman off a plane from third world country who is 38 weeks pregnant and straight to the Foothills). And these clinics do not cost $50,000 to visit. All those who say you were in Vegas and went to the ER - that’s why it cost what it did. No one goes to the ER unless it’s a trauma event down there. A private ambulance company made bank off you not knowing where to go.

ThePenIsMightier
02-05-2021, 10:12 AM
... All those who say you were in Vegas and went to the ER - that’s why it cost what it did. No one goes to the ER unless it’s a trauma event down there. A private ambulance company made bank off you not knowing where to go.

Well, not in the case I described and I think I'm the only one who brought up Vegas... Went to the on-site medical facility at the hotel, followed by a reasonably nearby medical clinic who didn't have the capability to do the injection, followed by a hospital near the university. No ambulance involved.
As an insured tourist, you're also being advised which facilities are preferred by your insurance provider, so that's also a factor.
And it wasn't a fuckin hangnail. By the time the swelling is constricting an airway, I think ER is a pretty reasonable selection.

Is it different for residents vs tourists? Very likely! I'm just starting my experience although as I mentioned, I watched a resident decide to go home and die while I was there.

rage2
02-05-2021, 10:23 AM
Has anyone actually been through the medical system in the USA and where? Or all y’all just stating opinions of what you think goes down? It’s a lot different when you actually talk to friends who moved there. It’s not exactly doom and gloom like some of you paint it. I agree with buster lol I wouldn’t really bet on Canada lol everything free without an economy to back it up.
Everyone I know has the same experience that’s been posted here. Way better than Canada. As long as you have a good job with good insurance.

The shitty experience doom and gloom and bankrupt bills we all hear about is from people who can’t afford it, or can’t be employed with good coverage, which is a whole different problem. Another one is if you end up with a medical issue where you can’t work anymore, you instantly go from the great experience to the experience that poor people go through once you lose coverage.

There are definitely huge challenges with the US system, but for most people it easily beats what we have here.

killramos
02-05-2021, 10:37 AM
NO NO NO US MEDICAL BAD CANADA MEDICAL GOOD

If you believe anything else you are a fascist

Tik-Tok
02-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Before the "socialist commy scum" affordable health Care act, shit was nuts.

Say you had a great job with good coverage. You developed some condition that requires regular medical attention, but can still work with no problems, you're covered by insurance for that. However if you ever left that job for a better company/position, or whatever reason, the new companies insurance wouldn't cover you because of your pre-existing condition.

And people were still against Obamacare. Even Trump said it was a part of it they had to keep.

HHURICANE1
02-05-2021, 11:17 AM
I know someone who had a heart attack in the States. She was in the hospital 5 days and the bill was $500,000 US. Lucky they had good insurance. It took almost a year of fucking around between the insurance and hospital along with the collections threats from the hospital to settle the bill. The insurance got it down to about $250,000. Apparently that is just standard procedure down there. Quote way high and then negotiate the price down with the insurer. I'm sure if you had no insurance they would not be so "accommodating".

rage2
02-05-2021, 11:21 AM
I know someone who had a heart attack in the States. She was in the hospital 5 days and the bill was $500,000 US. Lucky they had good insurance. It took almost a year of fucking around between the insurance and hospital along with the collections threats from the hospital to settle the bill. The insurance got it down to about $250,000. Apparently that is just standard procedure down there. Quote way high and then negotiate the price down with the insurer. I'm sure if you had no insurance they would not be so "accommodating".
Quotes are retail and ridiculously priced. If you don't have insurance you can haggle, but it's so inflated you're going broke anyway. Insurance has contracts that stipulate 70% discounts. It's a silly system.

If you live in the US and have US heathcare insurance, you don't really see any of this.

Xtrema
02-05-2021, 11:21 AM

It's really not much different that how our dentists operates here.

ZenOps
02-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Dude, everyone should have access to affordable healthcare - full hippie.

rage2
02-05-2021, 11:26 AM
It's really not much different that how our dentists operates here.
To a degree. It's worst here with dental because it's rare to have coverage for anything more than routine and maintenance work. I have over $20k worth of dental work happening, and the majority of that is coming out of pocket.

zechs
02-05-2021, 11:27 AM
So ~50% of your income taxes pay for healthcare.

If you earn six figures, like every beyonder does, you already pay $15k per year for healthcare, even though you likely already pay another couple grand a year for a health care plan/insurance as well.

In the states, you have health insurance that is partially paid for (or fully) if you are employed, and it covers everything except for a deductible.

And as Rage said, people with insurance don't see the back end shenanigans.

So whose system is better? Oh yea, and there aren't 6 month wait lines to get your gallbladder removed that could explode at any second ( a friend of mine is dealing with this). Or 6 month waits to get into a lung specialist. Or year long waits to get hip replacement done with outdated methods.

Etc etc etc.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2021, 11:30 AM
So ~50% of your income taxes pay for healthcare. Is that an accurate percentage in Canada? What percentage of your federal taxes in the USA go to healthcare? It's not zero.

Xtrema
02-05-2021, 11:36 AM
Is that an accurate percentage in Canada? What percentage of your federal taxes in the USA go to healthcare? It's not zero.

Well, it's more like 75% if you compare $20B AB got from income tax and spend $15B on AHS.

But since AB only take 10%-15% of your income, to hit zechs $15K figure, you have to clear $200K of yearly income.

So basically if we are using this metric, say single income, family of 4... someone makes $100K pays $6K and someone makes $200K pays $15K.

According to USA Today, it's average of $28K/yr USD for the same coverage in US.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/06/06/health-care-costs-price-family-four/676046002/

zechs
02-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Is that an accurate percentage in Canada? What percentage of your federal taxes in the USA go to healthcare? It's not zero.

https://www.ephpp.ca/healthcare-funding-policy-in-canada/

$7068 average for every citizen. Lets say half of citizens pay taxes. Pretty close.

And since we have a progressive tax system, I'm going to say really close for those earning more than $100k/year

You can be pedantic, and mince words, and grind the stats however you want (the royal you, not you specifically). We pay for our healthcare, and we pay a lot.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2021, 11:55 AM
We pay for our healthcare, and we pay a lot. Totally agree with that, and I'm not great defender of the Canadian way of delivering health care. I just really hate when people make philosophical arguments but dress it up in one-sided math to prove the point.

I have never lived in or used healthcare in the USA, but I have been involved in planning for health insurance for US employees, and I was pretty alarmed with the costs, considering some significant percentage of taxation ALSO goes to health care.

But as an ordinary wage-slave with unstable employment, I cannot imagine the stress of dealing with health insurance down there. Lose your job, and suddenly you lose coverage for anything you might already have? Fack no.

spikerS
02-05-2021, 12:04 PM
well, in talking with my friends in the states, all of them made sure they were working with company benefits before having their kids. Apparently, according to them, to have a baby without health insurance for the average US citizen costs between $12 and $15,000 as long as there are no complications. If anything out of the ordinary happens, that bill goes up dramatically. They tell me they pay like a $2000 deductible and health insurance covers the rest of the costs.

kertejud2
02-05-2021, 03:03 PM
Sorta on-topic, but someone with better google than me can probbaly dig up how much per person the GOVERNMENT in the USA pays for healthcare. It's not small is it?

~$9300/person for the U.S.
~$3800/person in Canada

But that's a national average (states and provinces have different budgets, so the numbers aren't the same everywhere you go). If some Google napkin math is your thing because you don't want to sort through OECD's source database to see how deep it goes, it's easy enough to get some rough numbers. Easiest with federal money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending_in_the_United_States
https://www.va.gov/budget/docs/summary/fy2021VAsBudgetFastFacts.pdf

So ~$3300 federal dollars between Medicare, Medicaid, and the Discretionary Budget's 'Health' allotment. There's be another $300 on top of that from the portion of the VA Budget that goes towards medical, but VAC doesn't have the same kind of straight healthcare allotment so I figure I'd leave it out. Though worth noting that the entire Veteran's Affairs Canada budget comes to under $150/person, so it's at least a $150 less regardless.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/federal-transfers.html
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/news-media/facts-figures/summary

Federal health spending in Canada is ~$1120/person via the Canada Health Transfer.

So then you've got state and provincial budgets, which can conflate things, particularly because of how jurisdictions can track costs. For example Quebec combines Health and Social Services, while Alberta and Ontario do not. But for Alberta's government spending:

$20.6B includes the $4.8B from the CHT, so it comes out to ~$4600CAD/person

Take a common comparable state: Colorado

$10B of state health on top of federal programs; ~$1700 more, so a Colorado resident would be ~$5,000USD/person.

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year_spending_2021CObs_22bs2n_10#usgs302

Quebec $4700, Ontario $3400; California $6700, Texas $5100 for some highlights.

If you're wondering why the numbers don't line up with OECD, that would involve the deep dive into the source database. But as mentioned that Quebec number includes things like social services, where it doesn't in other provinces. Also what they consider healthcare costs (isn't a universal standard across countries of what is covered under healthcare and is defined differently).

And similar to the VA numbers not being included because it's a part of harder to track budgets, also not included are things like Department of Justice healthcare costs ($600M/year https://www.justice.gov/jmd/page/file/1034421/download ) or the Military healthcare costs ($49.5B for US, https://www.justice.gov/jmd/page/file/1034421/download $500M for Canada https://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_200710_04_e_23828.html) etc.