PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first new(ish) boat!

Skrilla
02-05-2021, 10:48 AM
After watching my new Harley sit all season, and selling my old boat last year (Vanguard Phantom) to repair costs adding up beyond my purchase price, I decided to sell the bike and purchase another boat. Nothing fancy but will work great as a family fun/fishing boat. Should get a lot more use than another bike.

Boat is a 2004 Campion Allante S545, Volvo 4.3 GXi. Not a plug, but the dealership was great to work with. Storing it no charge until spring when we go pick it up, price was great and the sales staff was excellent to deal with. With our new addition to the family, I cant wait to teach my son how to fish on something a tad more reliable :clap:

Any lake recommendations around Calgary for good Walleye fishing?

SJW
02-05-2021, 11:07 AM
Congrats. I sold my motorcycle in 2013 and bought a boat. If you want excellent walleye fishing go to Crawling valley, I fish it a lot. I got a 10.5lb last summer. They're getting bigger in there.

The bite is on at the end of june thru to sept. Catch and release. Crawing Valley is known to take props so stay away from the sides of the lake at full speed. If you google earth is you can actually see the shallow spots.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Congrats on the boat. A fun hobby, and you already made one smart decision by buying used.

SJW
02-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Congrats on the boat. A fun hobby, and you already made one smart decision by buying used.

I bought new in 2013 and i've put exactly 1127 dollars into maintenance. I've been on boats all my life so I know how to fix the stupid shit. It's when you blow a coil pack half way down the lake when it gets complicated. Now i have a spare coil pack in my glove box.

gwill
02-05-2021, 11:48 AM
how's their inventory this year? I imagine this will be a big issue for all boat dealers.

SJW
02-05-2021, 11:52 AM
how's their inventory this year? I imagine this will be a big issue for all boat dealers.

There's nothing more entertaining than "new boaters" at the boat launch. That's all i know.

And Skrilla, make sure you make a secret compartment for your beer/empties. There's no possible way to fish on a boat without beer.

spikerS
02-05-2021, 12:07 PM
I have always wanted a nice boat. Looked at Martin a few times, and they always seem to be on the really expensive side, but always had nice stuff too.

Congrats man! know that i am jealous! lol

killramos
02-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Congrats. Will be a fun summer.

ExtraSlow
02-05-2021, 12:19 PM
I want this kind of boat.

SJW
02-05-2021, 12:48 PM

How about a 17ft walleye slayer?
I give you best price.

asp integra
02-05-2021, 01:22 PM
After watching my new Harley sit all season, and selling my old boat last year (Vanguard Phantom) to repair costs adding up beyond my purchase price, I decided to sell the bike and purchase another boat. Nothing fancy but will work great as a family fun/fishing boat. Should get a lot more use than another bike.

Boat is a 2004 Campion Allante S545, Volvo 4.3 GXi. Not a plug, but the dealership was great to work with. Storing it no charge until spring when we go pick it up, price was great and the sales staff was excellent to deal with. With our new addition to the family, I cant wait to teach my son how to fish on something a tad more reliable :clap:

Any lake recommendations around Calgary for good Walleye fishing?

Congrats on the boat purchase! My Dad has an older Allante 545 with a 200 Yamaha OB. It's a good solid boat

There's nothing more entertaining than "new boaters" at the boat launch. That's all i know.

And Skrilla, make sure you make a secret compartment for your beer/empties. There's no possible way to fish on a boat without beer.

Nothing better than hanging out by the launch, watching people who have no idea what they are doing, try and launch, or receive a boat.
This past summer was the worst I have seen in a few years, so many new people to boating because of Covid.

I have always wanted a nice boat. Looked at Martin a few times, and they always seem to be on the really expensive side, but always had nice stuff too.

I am constantly on the search for direct drive/V drive boats and their prices do seem to be on the high side.
That being said I bought my 2001 Malibu Sunsetter in the spring of 2018, and sold it in fall of 2020 for way more than I bought it for. Crazy how prices have gone up for used boats in recent years.

killramos
02-05-2021, 01:37 PM

Fishing boats are surprisingly expensive.

I figure the used ones on Kijiji are all guys who promised the wife they would sell the bit but then stuck the price arbitrarily high.

SJW
02-05-2021, 01:42 PM
Fishing boats are surprisingly expensive.

I figure the used ones on Kijiji are all guys who promised the wife they would sell the bit but then stuck the price arbitrarily high.

I paid 27500 for mine brand new in 2013 and i'll bet I can get close to that now for it.

killramos
02-05-2021, 01:52 PM
I paid 27500 for mine brand new in 2013 and i'll bet I can get close to that now for it.

I wouldn’t doubt it for a second.

schurchill39
02-05-2021, 02:05 PM
If you're in the Hat head out to Lac Pelletier or even Diefenbaker which is just off HWY 4 north of Swift Current.

Gman.45
02-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Hah, SJW that got an out loud laugh from me - I have some vids we took 2 years ago at the launch near the camp ground/community some of my family own/operate on Last Mountain Lake/Long Lake in Sask. We should put together a pitch for a TV show on this theme, as I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life, not just with the hijinks of noobs trying to back in/launch, but the family fights that are created due to the chaos.

Skrilla - nice boat, congrats. We're boatless right now, last boat we had was a Sea Doo Challenger I picked up from someone in Ft Mac who had lost his job and needed cash fast, deal I couldn't pass up. Wasn't a bad little boat at all, but now I'd be in the market for something just like what you picked up Skrilla. Campions are usually very good boats IMO, but I'm not real familiar with the Volvo motor, and wouldn't mind hearing what you think about it once you get it in the water.

Gman.45
02-05-2021, 02:18 PM
If you're in the Hat head out to Lac Pelletier or even Diefenbaker which is just off HWY 4 north of Swift Current.

We used to do a lot of time @ Diefenbaker as well - good fishing IMO, we had a slip at the main marina by the golf course, and my uncle has a really nice beachfront home there. Highly recommend Diefenbaker for all things boat/fishing/just cruising/whatever.

SkiBum5.0
02-05-2021, 03:52 PM
Nah Diefenbaker is shit, terrible fishing, weirdos, lake monsters, accountants-turned-cartel shills. Stay away...

B.Spilner
02-05-2021, 03:54 PM
How about a 17ft walleye slayer?
I give you best price.

16ft?? I think we may have the same boat

Nm I can't read. Same boat just bigger

Skrilla
02-05-2021, 03:59 PM
thanks for the kind words! My first experience with Volvo, but most of what I read online, and the dealers input seems to be the Volvo outdrives are superior. The engine is the same GM block as Merc, but I read they are easier to get at serviceable parts so that's a plus! Parts are more, and longer delivery but I'm hoping to not have to cross that bridge anytime soon lol. Only thing I wasn't keen on was the Roswell tower, so may sell those as Id prefer some more fishing goodies instead. And I already had a canopy. I really wanted a dedicated bass boat like a Ranger or Lund, but this was more practical for friends and family use. Maybe next time :burnout:

Ill definitely check those out, thanks!

Thanks Man! Yea I didn't want to finance and wanted to stay under 20k, so I just used the Harley money I got from the sale.

Absolutely!

Appreciate it! I didn't find much out there for sale that caught my eye, but compared to what was, they had the best deal, and taking a full inspection, service, and warranty I thought it made sense going there vs private.

13TTFX4
02-05-2021, 04:05 PM
My family bought a Brand new moomba outback in 2003 and other than a issue with the depth finer and speedo in the early days it has been dead reliable. winterize it and do an oil change every September and replace the impeller every other year and its good to go.

A lot of people say boats are money pits but there are very few toys that still retain 40-50% of their value 20 years later. We are at the stage where our next boat will probably be a pontoon since we no longer need a tournament ski boat but regardless there is nothing better than being on the water on a nice summer day.

killramos
02-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Probably for the best considering most people are still paying for them 20 years later haha

Skrilla
02-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Terrible, that’s why he said they can’t keep sub 25k boats on the lot, they sell almost immediately.