PDA

View Full Version : Unnecessary dental expenditures (split)

mr2mike
02-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Went to dentist today. Those mf'ers are charging $7/person for PPE.
Guess some are winning in this pandemic.
Can't see my insurance covering this.

nzwasp
02-08-2021, 10:50 AM

I think the dental masks they get you to wear are different though. They arent these non medical masks we have. In saying that $7 seems unreasonable.

Xtrema
02-08-2021, 10:51 AM

Or like mine that point out I have 3 cavities without any proof and charges my insurance $450 for 15min of work fixing those "cavities".

They didn't charge for PPEs tho. But they definitely spent more on gears and a new rinse procedure before work starts.

nzwasp
02-08-2021, 11:02 AM
Yes my dentist claims I need a crown for $1600 and was wanting me to take advantage of my insurance by the year end except my insurance a) does not have maximums for dental and b) does not end at the end of the year and I do not and have not felt any pain on this tooth for the entire of 2020.

In covid news: a GOP congressman recently diagnosed with covid died today.

D'z Nutz
02-08-2021, 11:25 AM

Or like mine that point out I have 3 cavities without any proof and charges my insurance $450 for 15min of work fixing those "cavities".

They didn't charge for PPEs tho. But they definitely spent more on gears and a new rinse procedure before work starts.

Yes my dentist claims I need a crown for $1600 and was wanting me to take advantage of my insurance by the year end except my insurance a) does not have maximums for dental and b) does not end at the end of the year and I do not and have not felt any pain on this tooth for the entire of 2020.

In covid news: a GOP congressman recently diagnosed with covid died today.

Sounds like you guys need to switch to Concept Dentistry. No funny business there.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/409999-Recommend-a-Dentist-for-People-Who-Hate-The-Dentist

pheoxs
02-08-2021, 11:32 AM
For cleanings I just go to Lifetime smiles hygiene clinic, it's cheaper since its just hygienists rather than dentists and they do all the work anyways. She took x-rays and if there's any cavities or major work needed then they can send over the xrays to an actual dentist to book but otherwise it seems cheaper for the routine cleanings. Also bonus is a tiny 2-3 person clinic so no annoying drilling in the background / probably more covid safe nowadays.

revelations
02-08-2021, 11:41 AM
For cleanings I just go to Lifetime smiles hygiene clinic, it's cheaper since its just hygienists rather than dentists and they do all the work anyways. She took x-rays and if there's any cavities or major work needed then they can send over the xrays to an actual dentist to book but otherwise it seems cheaper for the routine cleanings. Also bonus is a tiny 2-3 person clinic so no annoying drilling in the background / probably more covid safe nowadays.

Do they use ultrasound for cleaning or basic scraping?

pheoxs
02-08-2021, 11:48 AM
Do they use ultrasound for cleaning or basic scraping?

Both, she started with basic scraping but then she asked if I wanted to use the ultrasonic for some of it and switched to that.

Edit: Looked at my bill it was 436$ pre-insurance for this, over half was the xrays:

4 bitewing xrays
3 periapical xrays
3 units of scaling
1 unit of polishing
1 unit fluoride
Teeth whitening.

rx7boi
02-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Many dentists have never been reasonable.

These motherfuckers charge $600 for a set of night guards when they know insurance covers it, but they'll "do you a favour" and lower it to $400 when you don't have insurance.

ExtraSlow
02-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Many dentists have never been reasonable.

These motherfuckers charge $600 for a set of night guards when they know insurance covers it, but they'll "do you a favour" and lower it to $400 when you don't have insurance.

Often these items are highly negotiable, which feels pretty slimy

rage2
02-08-2021, 02:06 PM
No dental max? Jealous haha.

Xtrema
02-08-2021, 02:14 PM
No dental max? Jealous haha.

No Shit. I'm out like $3-4k on crowns last few years even with insurance.

JRSC00LUDE
02-08-2021, 02:20 PM

Do you need a spouse? Nothing overly conjugal required on this end, could talk if it's a negotiating chip.

Rocket1k78
02-08-2021, 02:24 PM
I get charged $90 for simple fluoride lol

lilmira
02-08-2021, 02:35 PM
you are all anti dentite

nzwasp
02-08-2021, 04:18 PM
No Shit. I'm out like $3-4k on crowns last few years even with insurance.

The crowns are only 50% coverage though.

Atleast they are partially covered the previous company I was with used to consider them all cosmetic.

dimi
02-08-2021, 04:31 PM
~$500 for cleaning, my teeth don't really require extensive cleaning/polishing, the dentist is there for 2-3 mins at most, and I'm not even there for the full time they charge me. $60-70 of that is fluoride ($90 lol), to the point I've thought about buying a bottle and doing it myself.

I guess its good to see everyone is getting ripped off to the same extent.

schocker
02-08-2021, 04:40 PM
~$500 for cleaning, my teeth don't really require extensive cleaning/polishing, the dentist is there for 2-3 mins at most, and I'm not even there for the full time they charge me. $60-70 of that is fluoride ($90 lol), to the point I've thought about buying a bottle and doing it myself.

I guess its good to see everyone is getting ripped off to the same extent.

I use this stuff once a week, only 1/10th the concentration of the dental stuff it looks like though but that is only twice a year.
https://www.londondrugs.com/x-pur-opti-rinse-plus-0.2-oral-rinse---mint---500ml/L1049763.html

I thought my dentist wasn't following the fee guide, but it is actually blue cross. They cover 80% of 95% of my dental :rofl:

D'z Nutz
02-08-2021, 04:54 PM
you are all anti dentite

Who needs them? Not to mention the Blacks and Jews.