PDA

View Full Version : Cars and Bids in Canada?

Buster
02-10-2021, 07:37 PM
It sounds like its working well in the states, and they do offer it in Canada too.

Does anyone know anyone who has sold on C+B? Any stories?

I'm thinking about throwing the GLA45 up there no reserve for fun.

ExtraSlow
02-10-2021, 07:42 PM
Please tell us when you do. I'd help put a floor price on it.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-10-2021, 07:51 PM
In for info. I wish there was a more common Canadian specialty vehicle site.

you&me
02-10-2021, 10:10 PM
I have a car-centric auction platform sitting on the shelf doing nothing... Wonder if it's time to dust it off? Hmmm....

killramos
02-10-2021, 10:17 PM
Dewit

finboy
02-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Prices for my car are much lower on there than BAT, that makes me a sad panda

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 08:33 AM
I have a car-centric auction platform sitting on the shelf doing nothing... Wonder if it's time to dust it off? Hmmm....
Running a platform like that is a great business. you should start it up! Get Buster to be your first customer. Then get shakalaka to be your spokesman. Its foolproof.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Prices for my car are much lower on there than BAT, that makes me a sad panda

Prices of almost anything that isn’t exported to the USA already or very special are also quite low on BaT and Cars and Bids.

vengie
02-11-2021, 09:32 AM
Running a platform like that is a great business. you should start it up! Get Buster to be your first customer. Then get shakalaka to be your spokesman. Its foolproof.

Buster can be the first customer, Shak can be the second, third, fourth, fifth...........

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 10:11 AM
I'll buy busters go-kart.

heavyD
02-11-2021, 10:24 AM
Is Doug's website working well? I haven't really followed Cars and Bids.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 10:31 AM
Aw gawd, is this that insufferable Doug Demuro guy? How does he stay relevant when he's actually made like 3 good videos, ever. The other 6,312 videos are so formulaic and nauseating.
How much money does he need?!

heavyD
02-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Aw gawd, is this that insufferable Doug Demuro guy? How does he stay relevant when he's actually made like 3 good videos, ever. The other 6,312 videos are so formulaic and nauseating.
How much money does he need?!

I'm a fan. He's done well for himself as I think he's worth around $3 million. I like to see regular car guys like us succeed like this.

Buster
02-11-2021, 11:00 AM
I like Doug. I like that he gets into detail on cars. I like that he doesn't do the normal vlog style BS. I like that he doesn't do press cars, or press launches.

benyl
02-11-2021, 11:07 AM
The other 6,312 videos are so formulaic and nauseating.

Ever watch SaabKyle04? haha

https://www.youtube.com/user/saabkyle04/videos

Cars and bids had 2 cars for Canada when I looked a couple of days ago. Needs a bit of maturity as I don't think people in Canada go there to buy cars.

vengie
02-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Ever watch SaabKyle04? haha

https://www.youtube.com/user/saabkyle04/videos

Cars and bids had 2 cars for Canada when I looked a couple of days ago. Needs a bit of maturity as I don't think people in Canada go there to buy cars.

Hey everyone! HOW's it GoIn!

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 11:22 AM
I'm a fan. He's done well for himself as I think he's worth around $3 million. I like to see regular car guys like us succeed like this.

I like Doug. I like that he gets into detail on cars. I like that he doesn't do the normal vlog style BS. I like that he doesn't do press cars, or press launches.

Really? I only found the video about fueling up his daily Ferrari to be really good.
The rest of the in-depth analysis seem to be him playing with the trunk release buttons and burning several minutes talking and "the quirks" and oddities. His vocal inflection and emphasis severely irritates me, so maybe that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

Buster
02-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Really? I only found the video about fueling up his daily Ferrari to be really good.
The rest of the in-depth analysis seem to be him playing with the trunk release buttons and burning several minutes talking and "the quirks" and oddities. His vocal inflection and emphasis severely irritates me, so maybe that's it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would recommend you do not watch his videos.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 11:46 AM
I would recommend you do not watch his videos.

It might surprise you to find out that I don't. I have watched enough to know that suffering through the bad videos to find the good ones isn't worth it, for me.
Most recent one I've skimmed through was the BMW critique someone posted here, this week.
It reaffirmed my position that I'm just not that into him.

Buster
02-11-2021, 11:48 AM
It might surprise you to find out that I don't. I have watched enough to know that suffering through the bad videos to find the good ones isn't worth it, for me.
Most recent one I've skimmed through was the BMW critique someone posted here, this week.
It reaffirmed my position that I'm just not that into him.

I'll let him know.

mr2mike
02-11-2021, 11:53 AM
I'll let ExtraSlow know he still has a chance to WooOo you.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 11:57 AM
I'll let him know.

Oh, he knows! I spend 6hr a day commenting on YouTube videos.
https://www.theonion.com/youtube-reaches-1-trillion-racist-comments-1819574709

beyond_ban
02-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Doug can certainly be annoying and tends to get caught up on silly details, but if you want to know the ins and outs of a certain vehicle he provides some pretty good in depth analysis. Plus, after watching a few Shmee videos you will want to watch Doug on repeat for 48 hours.

Buster
02-11-2021, 12:46 PM
Doug can certainly be annoying and tends to get caught up on silly details, but if you want to know the ins and outs of a certain vehicle he provides some pretty good in depth analysis. Plus, after watching a few Shmee videos you will want to watch Doug on repeat for 48 hours.

yeah... Stradman, Mr. JWW, or (shudder) DDE. All completely insufferable content for 13 year olds.

I actually like JayEmm on cars. He's good.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Dougs voice is annoying, but I like the content. If a woman with an appealing accent did that same review I'd be in heaven.

shakalaka
02-11-2021, 01:03 PM
Doug got his niche down. It maybe formulaic or repetitive but he knows it works so he keeps churning them out. He's another channel too on top of the cars and bids nonsense.

beyond_ban
02-11-2021, 01:29 PM
yeah... Stradman, Mr. JWW, or (shudder) DDE. All completely insufferable content for 13 year olds.

I actually like JayEmm on cars. He's good.

Agreed on all points, but you missed potentially the worst of them all... supercar blondie.

JayEmm is solid, others on my list include VINwiki, Smoking Tire, Mighty Car Mods, and if you want Canadian content TheStraightPipes.

Buster
02-11-2021, 01:33 PM
Agreed on all points, but you missed potentially the worst of them all... supercar blondie.

JayEmm is solid, others on my list include VINwiki, Smoking Tire, Mighty Car Mods, and if you want Canadian content TheStraightPipes.

Supercar blondie? I dont even know who that is.

killramos
02-11-2021, 01:34 PM

You aren’t missing much

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 01:35 PM
Doug got his niche down. It maybe formulaic or repetitive but he knows it works so he keeps churning them out. He's another channel too on top of the cars and bids nonsense.

Yeah, he's the Nickelback of YouTube car videos.
Didn't realize everyone on Beyond went to high school in Hanna.
LoL!

beyond_ban
02-11-2021, 01:38 PM

You're lucky, don't google.

ThePenIsMightier
02-11-2021, 01:40 PM
... Plus, after watching a few Shmee videos you will want to watch Doug on repeat for 48 hours.

Is Shmee the fat, sweaty guy from Donut Media, or the slightly less fat, pumpkin-faced, Euro guy always spunking on a Ferrari?
Just kidding, I don't give a fuck. I can't stand either of those turds, whatever their names are.

vengie
02-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Supercar Blondie is hot.... That's where it ends

killramos
02-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Supercar Blondie is hot.... That's where it ends

She’s not nearly as hot as she thinks she is

vengie
02-11-2021, 01:50 PM
She’s not nearly as hot as she thinks she is

I mean I'd let her do my dishes any day.

Kloubek
02-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Lol... I just happen to be playing a Demuro video while I found this thread. I AM a fan.

Yeah he's a geek, but he knows how to express himself and state details. I'm curious to hear all those "quirks and features" since it is often in a vehicle I have zero hope of ever owning. What IS driving a nearly 10 second quarter mile vehicle like? Hell if I will ever know, but I live vicariously through Doug. He does the research and knows a lot about vehicle history as to compare current trends, etc.

At least his details are actually worthwhile as opposed to Blondie who is like "Hey guys - check this out. It's sooo beautiful!". I don't give a shit, Blondie. I'll form my own opinions. I'd reluctantly tap you, but please just shut your mouth.

bjstare
02-11-2021, 02:32 PM

Thesmokingtire/Matt Farah is one of my favorites.

Just found out this week his dad is pretty successful. Was named Chief Executive of the company that operated bloomingdales when he was 33, led Woolworth through a change in business to focus on athletic shoes, which spawned footlocker. Was COO for Ralph Lauren, Chairman of Tiffany&co , Co-ceo of Tory Burch, blah blah blah.

Wait, was this thread about fashion and retail or am I lost?

shakalaka
02-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Supercar blondie is annoying AF. Not sure why she's so fucking big. Tried watching a video of hers for the first time yesterday on the new Aston Martin DBX for my research lol and within 45 seconds I was done.

Doug I don't mind, his videos are actually informative about the vehicles and I don't mind the lads from straight pipes. But that's about it. I don't watch any of the other stradman or anything else.

mr2mike
02-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Supercar blondie... Not sure why she's so fucking big... watching a video of hers for the first time yesterday... and within 45 seconds I was done.

Sounds like a good channel. :thumbsup:

Skrilla
02-11-2021, 04:03 PM

THIISSS...is a 1999 ford tempo, show you all its QUIRKS an FEATURES!!

I love Doug, and the "Dougs the type of guy...." comments on his channel. Find myself following Hoovie more than Doug, but he does get some very unique rides on his channel, and not just supercars/shit no one can afford.

shakalaka
02-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Sounds like a good channel. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

lilmira
02-11-2021, 04:11 PM
I don't mind Doug but listening to him saying Cars and Bids gets old fast. The straight pipes are not bad. Them and the throttle house are like Coke and Pepsi. Savagegeese got his own quirkiness as well.
I like engineering explained but it's more of a tech channel than car review.

killramos
02-11-2021, 04:19 PM
I watched a Doug video today, he seems to like to talk about the kind of dumb shit that interests me so that’s a win in my books.

Made me feel like I should watch more videos.

ExtraSlow
02-11-2021, 06:45 PM
I mostly like dumb shit.

Kloubek
02-12-2021, 02:07 AM
I don't mind Doug but listening to him saying Cars and Bids gets old fast.

..and throwing his hands up like it's some spectacular website when in fact, it's pretty poorly put together imo. And come on Doug - after a few months you can stop calling it "new".

ExtraSlow
02-12-2021, 07:00 AM
I keep reading this thread title as cars and birds in Canada and I think you still need a car to get to the best birding spots.

beyond_ban
02-12-2021, 09:43 AM
Thesmokingtire/Matt Farah is one of my favorites.

Just found out this week his dad is pretty successful. Was named Chief Executive of the company that operated bloomingdales when he was 33, led Woolworth through a change in business to focus on athletic shoes, which spawned footlocker. Was COO for Ralph Lauren, Chairman of Tiffany&co , Co-ceo of Tory Burch, blah blah blah.

Wait, was this thread about fashion and retail or am I lost?

Correct, a lot of people hate on him because his dads money is a large part of where he is today. I personally don't care, and if my dad hooked me up with a trust fund i'd most definitely use it to fuel my passions. The new car storage complex he built in LA is one such example, i saw a bunch of CRE guys breaking down the estimated cost to build vs. potential net income and it seems like a losing proposition business wise. But again, who cares?

2Legit2Quit
02-12-2021, 10:19 AM
Hi guys I'm shmeeeeeeee

Team_Mclaren
02-20-2021, 07:35 PM
My friend just bought a W210 E55 AMG on Cars and Bids, seen like a pretty normal process. It's up with no reserve and the seller was kinda sad cause it didnt pull as much as he wanted.

cam_wmh
02-21-2021, 04:39 AM
Hi guys I'm shmeeeeeeee

die

bjstare
02-21-2021, 11:04 AM
My friend just bought a W210 E55 AMG on Cars and Bids, seen like a pretty normal process. It's up with no reserve and the seller was kinda sad cause it didnt pull as much as he wanted.

That car has the biggest collection of the stupidest subtle mods that I've seen in a long time. S55 badge on the back is a good one.

shakalaka
02-21-2021, 01:05 PM
All the cars seem to be from the States so doesn't a Canadian buyer needs to be aware of what's actually even importable to Canada before bidding and what not?

Team_Mclaren
02-21-2021, 07:01 PM
That car has the biggest collection of the stupidest subtle mods that I've seen in a long time. S55 badge on the back is a good one.

Agreed, and that wing is brutal. But it wont cost a whole lot to put it back.

- - - Updated - - -

All the cars seem to be from the States so doesn't a Canadian buyer needs to be aware of what's actually even importable to Canada before bidding and what not?

.... just like any auction or buying a car in the states... yes...

you&me
01-30-2023, 02:26 PM
Doug wins.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kbrauer/2023/01/30/doug-demuro-from-car-videos-to-car-auctions-to-car-empires/?sh=7458d59f1b3d

And now, with a $37 million investment from The Chernin Group (TCG) in his recently-launched Cars & Bids auction site, Doug can add “entrepreneur” to his list of accolades...

"I still own a good chunk of the business and I’m still going to be day-to-day involved,” Doug assured us.

Absolutely bonkers on a third-rate platform selling ~$100mm a year and grossing ~$4.5mm. But good for him.

Buster
01-30-2023, 02:30 PM
I'm assuming they will revamp the platform significantly. They just want the brand and association.

you&me
01-30-2023, 02:38 PM
Agreed. They're leaning VERY hard on Doug's reach to his audience.

The CEO their parachuting in was previously at eBay motors and has experience with other more polished platforms. TCG also lead an investment in Hoodinkee, so they like this space.

Still, very bonkers $$$

Buster
01-30-2023, 02:39 PM
Valuations cease to amaze me nowadays

Xtrema
01-30-2023, 02:41 PM
Now I wonder how much BaT was sold for.

you&me
01-30-2023, 02:44 PM
Now I wonder how much BaT was sold for.

I can confidently say it was in the very low 9-digits.

Even if Doug retains only 1% of C&B, their valuation blows BAT out of the water... Which is why it's such a head-scratcher to me.

Xtrema
01-30-2023, 02:48 PM
I can confidently say it was in the very low 9-digits.

Even if Doug retains only 1% of C&B, their valuation blows BAT out of the water... Which is why it's such a head-scratcher to me.

Especially considering it has only moved 1/4 of cars in value compare to BaT when it was sold.

Wait, 9 digits? As in $100M range? BaT brought in $68M rev last year if based on 5% commission. So that ain't bad for a dozen or so programmers keeping site up.

you&me
01-30-2023, 03:00 PM
Especially considering it has only moved 1/4 of cars in value compare to BaT when it was sold.

Wait, 9 digits? As in $100M range? BaT brought in $68M rev last year if based on 5% commission. So that ain't bad for a dozen or so programmers keeping site up.

BAT sold >$1B last year, so C&B has brought in less than 1/4 of the annual sales of BAT, in 2.5 years.

BAT was acquired in 2020, and has grown hugely since then. The valuation wasn't unreasonable, at the time, but looks like a relative bargain today. Of course with fees capped at $5,000, it's not as simple as taking 5% of sales, but it gets you close for the sake of argument.

BAT has about 40 staff members.

ExtraSlow
01-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Doug is a neat dude, and I want people like that to get money.

heavyD
01-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Doug is a neat dude, and I want people like that to get money.

How can you not be happy for a guy like Doug that actually started at the bottom and worked his way into money in contrast to rich kid Youtubers.

Team_Mclaren
01-30-2023, 04:34 PM
I dont know the upbringing of Doug, but i've always found him annoying. On the other hand, Ed from Vinwiki is a good story teller.

Buster
01-30-2023, 04:36 PM
I find Doug to be far less annoying than most other YTers. Ed is the best though. Until I bought his book and it was all about Jesus. I'll stick to his videos.

you&me
01-30-2023, 04:48 PM
I dont know the upbringing of Doug, but i've always found him annoying. On the other hand, Ed from Vinwiki is a good story teller.

Ed's entertaining... as long as you remember his stories are just that - stories. Some of the shit he spouts is about as make believe as his best friend in the sky.

ThePenIsMightier
01-30-2023, 05:36 PM
"Oowwwhhhh... No one's ever got a moment to talk about The Lord!"

Xtrema
02-07-2023, 05:21 PM
https://youtu.be/ZDXWUGsFkKU

Doug closed the deal and bought a Carrera GT.

mr2mike
02-07-2023, 10:25 PM
https://youtu.be/ZDXWUGsFkKU

Doug closed the deal and bought a Carrera GT.

... And now you know the rest of the story.

BavarianBeast
02-07-2023, 10:35 PM
Man that guy is such a loser. You couldn’t pay me to hang out with Doug DeMoron

Buster
02-07-2023, 11:05 PM

I'm not sure what peoples' big issue with Doug is.

BavarianBeast
02-08-2023, 12:43 AM
He is so odd, the way he communicates dialogue and annunciates is just bizarre. He drives like a little bitch, points the camera at his lame ass face while going half throttle in a hypercar like he’s about to nut while sounding like a complete horny whiny idiot. He just reeks of a try-hard “enthusiast” in my opinion and I just cannot stand the videos! 2 cents haha

ThePenIsMightier
02-08-2023, 01:17 AM
He is so odd, the way he communicates dialogue and annunciates is just bizarre. He drives like a little bitch, points the camera at his lame ass face while going half throttle in a hypercar like he’s about to nut while sounding like a complete horny whiny idiot. He just reeks of a try-hard “enthusiast” in my opinion and I just cannot stand the videos! 2 cents haha

This.
He is the epitome of a YouTuber whose content is masquerading as a hard core car enthusiast but whose audience is silly boys who want to feel like they have gained knowledge and expertise from the real world experience of super car ownership in aspects where they feel like they can shit on those who actually own these vehicles and thus justify their regular lives feeling like they aren't missing out. That's roughly 90% of his videos.
There are some gems, like his gas station videos where some baby-dick tries to call him out because his 20yo exotic has fewer HP than some new SUV. But he knows his audience and where the monetization is. "Your life is fine because this Lambo owner needs to pay $2k every oil change. Don't feel bad about your Genesis and keep watching my channel. Like & subscribe!"

THIS.... is his channel - in a nut shell!

ExtraSlow
02-08-2023, 06:56 AM
Guys, stop, I already liked him. You are selling past the close here.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-08-2023, 08:55 AM
For people who don’t like him you sure seem to watch a lot of him…

ThePenIsMightier
02-08-2023, 09:10 AM
For people who don’t like him you sure seem to watch a lot of him…

LoL, that sounds like a reasonable argument, but the truth is that if you've seen 5 of his videos, you've seen them all.
They are more formulaic than the recipe for toast.

mr2mike
02-08-2023, 09:19 AM
There's only one more car YouTuber I dislike more... He's more of a Boomer with an annoying voice.

riander5
02-08-2023, 09:29 AM
Just listened to the first minute of that video clip. Never again

JfuckinC
02-08-2023, 09:38 AM
Just listened to the first minute of that video clip. Never again

fuck me, i made it 10 seconds lol

Tik-Tok
02-08-2023, 10:50 AM

Is he going through puberty, or is he purposefully sounding like that?

bjstare
02-08-2023, 10:58 AM
LoL, that sounds like a reasonable argument, but the truth is that if you've seen 5 of his videos, you've seen them all.
They are more formulaic than the recipe for toast.

When I read this, I heard it in his voice... and it worked perfectly.

2Legit2Quit
02-08-2023, 11:02 AM
Hey guys it's Shmeeeeeeee

flipstah
02-08-2023, 11:03 AM

Fuck Shmee. Saabkyle04 ftw

gmc72
02-08-2023, 11:11 AM

I made it to just past the ad for "Cars and Bids". Then I had to shut it off. :barf:

Xtrema
02-08-2023, 11:16 AM

Now that's a guy I can't stand.

benyl
02-08-2023, 11:26 AM
He is so odd, the way he communicates dialogue and annunciates is just bizarre.

Ironic coming from a Canadian.

Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy doog, but Canadians annunciate words in a bizarre method for the rest of the english speaking world.

As much as people don't like him, you can't really shit on his success. He went from a freelance journalist to buying a Ford GT, now the Carrera and raking in millions for cars and bids. You can't say he didn't work for it.

Buster
02-08-2023, 12:29 PM
car youtubers in general are played out.

I (thankfully) don't even get them on my YT algo anymore.

shakalaka
02-08-2023, 12:39 PM
Good for him. Kinda cool to see a simple person work their way up to something like that but then makes me feel like shit about my non-achievements. Haha.

Power of social media/internet is insane when you think about it.

JfuckinC
02-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Good for him. Kinda cool to see a simple person work their way up to something like that but then makes me feel like shit about my non-achievements. Haha.

non achievements? aren't you a successful lawyer? haha

killramos
02-08-2023, 12:54 PM

Yea but he only drives an Audi, not a LambAudi

JfuckinC
02-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Yea but he only drives an Audi, not a LambAudi

he needs a pro touring camaro.....

heavyD
02-08-2023, 01:33 PM

I would love to have a beer and talk cars with Doug. Seems like a totally down to earth guy that's a real enthusiast.

shakalaka
02-08-2023, 03:44 PM

Haha I was talking strictly in financial sense relatively speaking.

Back when growing up in 90's, no one could ever imagine that one day internet/social media would allow people to become multi-millionaires like this.

flipstah
02-13-2023, 04:40 PM
'Internet Celebrity' is the new version of 'actor'

ExtraSlow
02-13-2023, 04:49 PM
Back when growing up in 90's, no one could ever imagine that one day internet/social media would allow people to become multi-millionaires like this.
No shit. Social media as we know it today wasn't even invented until the late 2000's, and really the monetization model was after 2010.

Flipper has it right, just another kind of actor.

Neil4Speed
02-13-2023, 08:54 PM

Your humility is Kinda cool