https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1545269036

killramos
02-13-2021, 07:05 PM
I was really hoping it was going to be a Bitcoin mining rig for some reason

revelations
02-13-2021, 07:58 PM
Been looking around and came across this, was curious on others opinion on it

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1545269036

Opinions about what specifically? Are you looking for a litre bike for some reason?

One thing that stands out is the clutch pack replacement at 20k - highly unusual - possibly from running the wrong type synth oil or other abuse.

Buster
02-13-2021, 08:10 PM
my opinion is your thread title is not detailed enough

ThePenIsMightier
02-13-2021, 08:13 PM
Quite high mileage for a crotch rocket.
Wheel stand a more likely indication it's been tracked/raced (which I feel is good, not bad). People who brag "always babied" are silly.

ExtraSlow
02-13-2021, 08:33 PM
My opinion is you could buy a Honda rukus instead.

LAFNGAS
02-14-2021, 06:09 AM
Opinions about what specifically? Are you looking for a litre bike for some reason?

One thing that stands out is the clutch pack replacement at 20k - highly unusual - possibly from running the wrong type synth oil or other abuse.

looking for a liter bike yes, just seeing what others thoughts are on it or anything to look for. Wasn't sure about the mileage, its an 11 yr old bike so thought 2000kms/yr wouldn't be an issue

Quite high mileage for a crotch rocket.
Wheel stand a more likely indication it's been tracked/raced (which I feel is good, not bad). People who brag "always babied" are silly.

most of the time people have the wheel stands to help with maintenance but i hear where you're coming from

blueToy
02-14-2021, 10:48 AM
What are your other bikes that you've ridden? I too would suspect that maybe she's seen either tracked or ridden pretty hard.

LAFNGAS
02-14-2021, 11:00 AM
What are your other bikes that you've ridden? I too would suspect that maybe she's seen either tracked or ridden pretty hard.

ive rode misc other 1l bikes like 05 gsxr 1000, 07r1, and 08 gsxr 750.

mileage im not sure as it averages out to 2000/year which isnt much at all

ThePenIsMightier
02-14-2021, 11:09 AM

mileage im not sure as it averages out to 2000/year which isnt much at all

I have less than half that mileage on a bike the same age, so... I don't think it's really low mileage. Silly toys like this are rarely used.

revelations
02-14-2021, 11:32 AM
30,000kms on a 10-11 y/o bike is not high. While this is no viffer, if its your average street/highway use bike, its not a big deal. I did 2-3k a year on my bikes on average. Obviously if its smoking on decel or idle, its been treated wrong.

Ask for a cold bike if viewing.

They also did not mention chain and cog replacement, which is definitely due at that point, and many also adjust the ratios for their own use (eg. more accel or lower highway rpms)

tirebob
02-14-2021, 01:49 PM
I have less than half that mileage on a bike the same age, so... I don't think it's really low mileage. Silly toys like this are rarely used.I did 12,000km on my S2R1000 in two summers... This is not such a crazy amount of mileage even for a casual summer user I think, so long as he road regular.

ThePenIsMightier
02-14-2021, 01:55 PM
I did 12,000km on my S2R1000 in two summers... This is not such a crazy amount of mileage even for a casual summer user I think, so long as he road regular.

Yes, but a Monster doesn't have the riding position of a dog humping a football.

tirebob
02-14-2021, 02:02 PM
Yes, but a Monster doesn't have the riding position of a dog humping a football.Haha! For this old ass it kinda did, but no, you are right it is not quite the same thing. Next bike for me will be a Multistrada I think.

pheoxs
02-14-2021, 02:20 PM
25k kms is a major service interval for the bikes including checking / adjusting valves if needed. Would definitely ask if its been done and any paperwork necessary. Also why was the clutch replaced at 20k? That's fairly low unless its been beat pretty hard.

cjblair
02-14-2021, 02:20 PM
Hard to say without viewing the bike, but no red flags for me. Wheel stand doesn't mean anything IMO; I've known a few guys that basically just rode their liter bikes up and down 17th, but they had center stands, adjustable levers, etc.

As long as it's been maintained (some type of proof of oil changes, check how worn the chain is, etc), probably nothing to worry about. Riding a bike hard isn't the concern, its more about how it's been kept.

blueToy
02-14-2021, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you have enough experience on bikes to be able to tell if its a good buy. Just my opinion, but, as mentioned by Rev., go check it out cold. Fire it up and if it doesn't puke blue and settles into a nice hum, I'd take a chance if all the paperwork checks out. Its a drag there is no chance to test ride right now.

If I was buying a bike for a short term, a bike ridden hard or tracked a lot wouldn't be a huge concern, but if I was planning to keep the thing around for more then a couple of seasons and going to rack up the mileage, then yeah, I'd pass on a big beaten-hard bike. Also, I'm not a baller that can toss money away easily when buying almost anything. When I check something out, I've already made a list of questions to ask the owner and I scrutinize not just the bike ( or car/truck/whatever ) but the seller too. Do they seem honest? Fidgety or nervous? I look for anything that might cause me to doubt the purchase. Too many red flags, I walk.
That said, from the photo in the ad, looks like a nice ride. Good luck.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Yes, but a Monster doesn't have the riding position of a dog humping a football.

I put 25k on my CBR600rr over 5 years. I also had a rear stand and never even went near a track. It was just nice to have for chain lubing/storage.

ThePenIsMightier
02-15-2021, 11:56 AM
I put 25k on my CBR600rr over 5 years. I also had a rear stand and never even went near a track. It was just nice to have for chain lubing/storage.

Yep. I didn't say "guaranteed track bike" just that it's a potential indicator. And I know lots of people who mile up their bikes. It's just that I know lots more who don't.

16hypen3sp
02-15-2021, 02:46 PM
Fire it up and check for heavy oil burn. That gen was hit and miss for that, but mostly the 08's and 09's.

Everything else looks fine to me. Nice bike.

revelations
02-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Fire it up and check for heavy oil burn. That gen was hit and miss for that, but mostly the 08's and 09's.

Everything else looks fine to me. Nice bike.

Was that gen also known for clutch pack replacements before 30,000 kms?

16hypen3sp
02-15-2021, 05:04 PM
Was that gen also known for clutch pack replacements before 30,000 kms?

Can't speak to that. I only know about the oil burn.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-15-2021, 09:19 PM
Yep. I didn't say "guaranteed track bike" just that it's a potential indicator. And I know lots of people who mile up their bikes. It's just that I know lots more who don't.

I always wonder why people in Calgary assume 25k over 11 years is "miled up". Anything over 10k seems to get noses turned up at it, but there's a ton of bikes (sport bikes included) that easily do 100k miles. It's a motor. As long as you take good care of it, and check the normal indicators, it's going to be fine. My first bike was a 01 CBR600 F4i that had 60k on it. It ran like a dream.

D'z Nutz
02-15-2021, 09:51 PM
I always wonder why people in Calgary assume 25k over 11 years is "miled up". Anything over 10k seems to get noses turned up at it, but there's a ton of bikes (sport bikes included) that easily do 100k miles. It's a motor. As long as you take good care of it, and check the normal indicators, it's going to be fine. My first bike was a 01 CBR600 F4i that had 60k on it. It ran like a dream.

I think it's one of those old "rule of thumbs" that have been lingering on since like the 40's and 50's, like never buy a used car over 100,000km or do oil changes every 3000km/3000mi/5000km. Makes no sense with all these advancements in engineering and technology, but people can't seem to let them go.

ThePenIsMightier
02-15-2021, 10:39 PM
I forgot "it's a motor"... Like any other motor, it has a compression ratio over 12-1 and redlines over 12,000 rpm. It also puts out about 170hp per liter which is substantially more HP/L than an Italian supercar.

So yeah, I guess that's just another motor.

My initial comment was merely that it has high mileage, meaning that if one was to look at other bikes of the same age, many of them would have lower mileage. I didn't say it was a clapped out, shit box that probably won't even start. It's very likely just fine.
But, it's not low mileage. There is no hidden message. It's just a statement of fact.

revelations
02-15-2021, 11:44 PM
If you arent living life at 12,000 rpms, the engines will last a long time.

Viffers and blackbird guys roll 150,000km with ease on their bikes. Most crotch rockets have a short life span before they end up as 'spare parts' so finding a 30,000 km sport bike appears skewed, ie. anomaly of sorts.

Other than the very odd clutch pack replacement at 20k, I would take this bike over a lesser KM edition that was not maintained as well by some kid.

Misterman
02-16-2021, 06:48 AM

I always chalked it up to the idea that everyone writes their bikes off before 30k KM. Therefore you never see bikes with that many miles on them, which makes people think they don't last that long.

Personally the CBR would be last on my list. I'd get a Gixxer or another R1 way before considering the Honda. But that's just personal preference.

Rocket1k78
02-16-2021, 10:40 AM
Wheel stand a more likely indication it's been tracked/raced
:facepalm: Thats about as true as saying a civic with racing decals is more likely a track car.

Skrilla
02-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Bike looks nice, not that a photo says much. Mileage is nothing for that motor, we have 2 guys that ride them with us on long trips, one I believe is a 09 with 70k kms, and the other is a '10 with 55k kms. Cold start is a must, and then just listen for lash or chain tick. Im surprised the clutch pack went at 20k, sounds like either a poor rider, or wrong fluid. I owned one for a couple seasons, never once left me stranded or pissed off, and I rode the shit out of that bike. Guy I sold it to sometimes rides with us and it still hasn't cost him anything. Honda may not make the fastest liter bike, but I would put its reliability against any other, although all jap bikes are reliable from personal experience.

I'll leave the wheel stand alone, looks like thats been mentioned. I have both front and rear for my bikes, I think its an essential tool and wouldn't look into that at all. Also the "ECM" tune, ask who/what it is, likely a PC-V or Bazaaz. Either way I would check it out, looks like a decent deal, and the color combo is sick!

ThePenIsMightier
02-16-2021, 01:20 PM
:facepalm: Thats about as true as saying a civic with racing decals is a track car

If only the words "more likely" meant the same as the word "is".

revelations
02-16-2021, 01:31 PM
I always chalked it up to the idea that everyone writes their bikes off before 30k KM. Therefore you never see bikes with that many miles on them, which makes people think they don't last that long.

Personally the CBR would be last on my list. I'd get a Gixxer or another R1 way before considering the Honda. But that's just personal preference.

better ergos on the gixxers/yammers ?

Rocket1k78
02-16-2021, 02:16 PM
If only the words "more likely" meant the same as the word "is".
You're absolutely right, ive adjusted my post to be more correct but at the end of the day bike stands dont have any indication to whether or not its a race bike.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-16-2021, 03:23 PM
I think it's one of those old "rule of thumbs" that have been lingering on since like the 40's and 50's, like never buy a used car over 100,000km or do oil changes every 3000km/3000mi/5000km. Makes no sense with all these advancements in engineering and technology, but people can't seem to let them go.

Absolutely.

I forgot "it's a motor"... Like any other motor, it has a compression ratio over 12-1 and redlines over 12,000 rpm. It also puts out about 170hp per liter which is substantially more HP/L than an Italian supercar.

So yeah, I guess that's just another motor.

My initial comment was merely that it has high mileage, meaning that if one was to look at other bikes of the same age, many of them would have lower mileage. I didn't say it was a clapped out, shit box that probably won't even start. It's very likely just fine.
But, it's not low mileage. There is no hidden message. It's just a statement of fact.

Have you ever ridden one of these things? Specific a 1L Super Sport? It sounds like you have, but I barely go over 8k, even winding it up on the highway. 9k in first gear, and I'm at 120. I have my shift light set at 8k, and I think it's been on 3 times since I bought the bike brand new. I imagine that even if you're doing stupid shit, you're not winding it out anywhere near the redline. And I bet you one of these could handle sustained redline better than most cars with substantially lower redlines.
I don't consider 2200km over 11 years, "high mileage".

16hypen3sp
02-16-2021, 03:42 PM
OP, did you go take a look yet?

Graham_A_M
02-19-2021, 02:29 PM
Lmao, 24k is high mileage? I put 28k on my (new) 07 Triumph Daytona 675 the year I bought it, and I bought it in June. No 24k is nothing. Go over the bike, look for oil leaks mainly on the fork seals, but other then that it should be good to go.

Bike stands are irrelevant. I used to use those all the time to change out my tires.

ThePenIsMightier
02-19-2021, 03:24 PM
This is, definitively, the single lowest mileage bike in the recorded history of 1L SS bikes. Nay, in the history of Honda. Nay, in the history of humans sitting on things that take them places.
We are here to witness this unicorn. Jesus himself rose from the ashes (on an Ash Wednesday in 2010) and permanently affixed this bike's odometer at 24,000km while it was still a late bloomer in a showroom.
The bike has never moved one inch since then, thanks in part to the wheel stands.
Not only is it currently the lowest mileage bike in recorded history, there will also never be another bike with mileage this low in the remainder* of Earth's history.

*Estimated by politicians to be ~14 years until the CO2 causes the flooding with the rapture, etc.

revelations
02-19-2021, 03:58 PM
30,000km on the average street bike ENGINE is nothing - but tires, chains, cogs and some seals (as mentioned) are usually replaced around this time - tires particularly love to go square in our part of the country (as opposed to the coast, or Ontario).

Misterman
02-21-2021, 11:28 AM
better ergos on the gixxers/yammers ?

Pegs are getting way too high on all these bikes nowadays. But I guess they're meant to be on the track, not having fun on the street. I haven't been on one of these death traps in years now, so things might be different. I used to love Hondas when it was the 600F4i, and the 929rr, both make great wheelie bikes. But then the 600rr came out and it was boring as hell, you had to clutch the fuck out of it to get the front wheel off the ground. Plus it was a high seat height with no adjustability.

Skrilla
02-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Pegs are getting way too high on all these bikes nowadays. But I guess they're meant to be on the track, not having fun on the street. I haven't been on one of these death traps in years now, so things might be different. I used to love Hondas when it was the 600F4i, and the 929rr, both make great wheelie bikes. But then the 600rr came out and it was boring as hell, you had to clutch the fuck out of it to get the front wheel off the ground. Plus it was a high seat height with no adjustability.

600F4i was my first bike! Absolutely loved that thing, very comfortable, good for 250+, great handling. Always recommend that bike when people ask about a good beginner bike. Would love to pick up a clean 01-02 with the split seat again as a around town bike.

revelations
02-22-2021, 02:26 PM
600F4i was my first bike! Absolutely loved that thing, very comfortable, good for 250+, great handling. Always recommend that bike when people ask about a good beginner bike. Would love to pick up a clean 01-02 with the split seat again as a around town bike.

No way I could get an F4i to 250 - I was a giant airbrake on that bike even in a tuck; the wind would rip me off the bars well before 250, lol ..... that bike was tiny for my big ass. But yes, a very good bike for beginners. Little headaches also when it came to storage and maintenance with the new FI system.

cjblair
02-22-2021, 03:07 PM
F4i was one of the best beginner bikes out there. That being said, the only way that thing would actually do 250 is downhill with a tailwind.

Skrilla
02-22-2021, 03:19 PM
F4i was one of the best beginner bikes out there. That being said, the only way that thing would actually do 250 is downhill with a tailwind.

268 on speedo, 252 on gps, 1 up gearing.

Rocket1k78
02-22-2021, 05:24 PM
I had a 2002 954RR and that was the best overall/wheelie bike ive owned, it could power wheelie around 45km/hr in 1st no problem and the trunk was so big i could fit shoes in it lol My last 2 bikes were an 09 r1 and then an 1199 and even with insane hp theres no way you're getting it up in 1st unless you clutch or going 80km/hr plus and gassing it hard

LAFNGAS
02-28-2021, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I found a 16 GSXR750 with maintenance records/only 3400 kms and a great price. now waiting on things to melt and get out

ThePenIsMightier
02-28-2021, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I found a 16 GSXR750 with maintenance records/only 3400 kms and a great price. now waiting on things to melt and get out

Weird. I put on 3,400km in one day. My friend did it in one afternoon and my dog walker's cousin did it on the way to get the mail.

cjblair
03-01-2021, 09:30 AM
268 on speedo, 252 on gps, 1 up gearing.

That makes a little more sense.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-01-2021, 09:33 AM
Weird. I put on 3,400km in one day. My friend did it in one afternoon and my dog walker's cousin did it on the way to get the mail.

Do you need a hug, friend? I feel like you need a hug. Bring it in.

ThePenIsMightier
03-01-2021, 10:14 AM
Do you need a hug, friend? I feel like you need a hug. Bring it in.

I just don't know what to believe anymore.
I was told by so many that people who buy completely impulsive, ludicrously impractical toys use them and use them a lot. To find out that there are people who have barely touched these toys shakes that foundation - a foundation that I relied upon others to build for me.
I'm not sure that hugs can heal these sounds. Thank God my dry month is over.