PDA

View Full Version : Tv - night mode?

B.Spilner
03-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Good morning you fine gentlemen,

Not sure if I'm googling the wrong things but I can find anything on this topic.

Do TVs have a mode where they darken up at night time? I've tried to play with the settings but it just blacks out the blacks. Movie mode seems to be the best but even thats too bright.

I've noticed with Shaw, when you leave Netflix or other on idle, they dim down. That's obviously shaw doing it and not the TV.

This is for a bedroom TV, where we only watch late at night.

Any suggestions?

killramos
03-07-2021, 09:13 AM
If you only watch it at night, just turn the brightness down?

B.Spilner
03-07-2021, 09:30 AM
If you only watch it at night, just turn the brightness down?

I tried to fiddle with the settings, when I turn the brightness down it makes dark shows almost unwatchable.

Maybe this isn't a thing?

killramos
03-07-2021, 09:31 AM
I mean. Brightness is super important for good picture quality so that will happen.

You should be able to turn it down a. Fair bit though. Maybe punch it up by adjusting contrast?
rage2 is the tv settings king.

B.Spilner
03-07-2021, 09:43 AM
My Samsung and shaw both go into this idle mode which dims it right down. That's sorta what I'm looking for...

rage2
03-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Are you looking for a darker viewing experience or are you looking for it to darken when idle if you fall asleep before turning it off?

For the former, just set a second mode that’s darker and flip to it. Some TVs have a dark preset just for that where it turns down the backlight. Sony’s have an ambient light adjustment option that also does that.

For the latter, dont really know any tv that does that. I guess OLEDs kinda do that to protect itself?

B.Spilner
03-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Looking for both, the room is dark and the TV is just to bright to watch or fall asleep with.

Ill try adding a preset and also do what kill reccomended with the contrast.

I thought they night have come out with an ambient mode or something similar.

Andy643
03-08-2021, 09:42 AM
The LG we bought 2 years ago Best Buy sold me on this "calibration" thing. For $90 (50% sale) they came over with some gear and special camera to fine tune the TV. Gave us a night and day setting. Overall it improved the viewing of the TV and made a huge difference for us. Planning to get it done to our new Samsung TV once we get 200+ hours on it.

Have since found YouTube video's on how to accomplish this without the service call. Will likely still have Geek Squad over...

sabad66
03-08-2021, 10:36 AM
The LG we bought 2 years ago Best Buy sold me on this "calibration" thing. For $90 (50% sale) they came over with some gear and special camera to fine tune the TV. Gave us a night and day setting. Overall it improved the viewing of the TV and made a huge difference for us. Planning to get it done to our new Samsung TV once we get 200+ hours on it.

Have since found YouTube video's on how to accomplish this without the service call. Will likely still have Geek Squad over...

Try to find your tv model on rtings.com

If it’s a common model you can find optimal settings there and may be able to save the cost of geek squad doing it.