PDA

View Full Version : Alternative for Ride-on Toy Batteries?

sabad66
03-08-2021, 03:56 PM
Bought our kid a ride-on Jeep about 2 years ago, but we left it in the garage (non heated) over the cold winter and pretty sure the battery is toast now as it just wont charge/work.

I found the manufacturer's website and they sell the replacement, but they are in ON and i'd rather shop local if the price is similar. Looks like they sell it for $50 + $20 shipping:
https://www.kidsquad.ca/products/wrangler-style-battery-2-x-6v-7a/

Is there any place in town that might sell these things? I feel like i've read posts in the past about specialized battery places in town but i can't remember any names.

TomcoPDR
03-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Try battery world

firebane
03-08-2021, 04:03 PM
https://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/ps670.htm

$20

33 in Calgary

dj_rice
03-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Try Interstate Batteries Distrituors

ThePenIsMightier
03-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Bought our kid a ride-on Jeep about 2 years ago, but we left it in the garage (non heated) over the cold winter and pretty sure the battery is toast now as it just wont charge/work.

I found the manufacturer's website and they sell the replacement, but they are in ON and i'd rather shop local if the price is similar. Looks like they sell it for $50 + $20 shipping:
https://www.kidsquad.ca/products/wrangler-style-battery-2-x-6v-7a/

Is there any place in town that might sell these things? I feel like i've read posts in the past about specialized battery places in town but i can't remember any names.

Possible freeze-damaged battery??!
1.) Ask Mar what to do.
2.) Do the perfect, 180° opposite of what he says.

AndyL
03-08-2021, 04:18 PM
What voltage? And is that already fast enough or could stand a boost? :)

LiPo4Fe+ power tool packs make super replacements for most of the crappy power-wheels lead acid batteries. Just requires a fabricated adapter... Make it so you can drop 1 or more in.

I did 2x 24v in parallel on kiddos 18v pocket bike - it was ridiculous - he could cruise it for 6+ hours before the cutoffs would shut him down.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Yeah I was also going to suggest power tool batteries with adapters if the voltage is even remotely similar.

sabad66
03-08-2021, 04:27 PM
Damn you guys are good! Battery world was the place I was thinking of but now you guys got me interested in potentially modding for longer range. Here is what I’m working with:

Looks like two 6V/7Ah batteries in series? Any suggestions for improving this setup? My challenge is that it has to fit in that already cramped area ideally under that bracket that holds them down, but I can probably rig up another bracket if needed

ThePenIsMightier
03-08-2021, 04:34 PM
This will be sweet. I have an insane friend who rigged up a wheel chair with I'm honestly not sure what kind of battery configuration but the thing was reckless. I vaguely remember whipping around his driveway and cul-de-sac (on a closed Highway in Mexico) in it after definitely not having several drinks.

sabad66
03-08-2021, 04:40 PM
This will be sweet. I have an insane friend who rigged up a wheel chair with I'm honestly not sure what kind of battery configuration but the thing was reckless. I vaguely remember whipping around his driveway and cul-de-sac (on a closed Highway in Mexico) in it after definitely not having several drinks.

Haha unfortunately it's toddler size and it already goes pretty fast so not looking to increase power (or maybe just a little bit if i do). But increased capacity would be great as they didn't last too long even when new if i remember correctly.

AndyL
03-08-2021, 04:40 PM
See what the little black box says... Often they have a sticker with voltage range.

I'd throw an 18v power tool pack in and see what happens, understanding stuff like fancy accessories may die (radios etc).

Nice part about power tool batteries, is you just pop them out toss them in the factory charger, nobody needs to know you've put it in something that isn't a power tool.

Think I ran across a forum where they discussed mods to the usual walmart/toysrus/power-wheels toys, where you could see what worked / burned out on the various ones.

sabad66
03-08-2021, 04:44 PM
OK dumb question for a guy who pretty BARELY passed his circuits classes during his engineering degree 14 years ago.

So right now it's two 6V/7Ah in series. If i replace with a single 12V/7Ah is that equivalent? Or would i need a 12V/14Ah to be equivalent? Seems like B&E that firebane recommended has a lot of these types of cell batteries so thinking of going down there to see what they have for options.

AndyL
03-08-2021, 04:47 PM
Yeah, just equivalent to a 12v 7AH pack.

ExtraSlow
03-08-2021, 04:49 PM
well, 12V and MORE than 7ah would get you the longer run-time you wanted.

roopi
03-08-2021, 04:51 PM
Modding kids cars. Love it

sabad66
03-08-2021, 05:01 PM
well, 12V and MORE than 7ah would get you the longer run-time you wanted.

Yeah that's where i was going with this. I saw they have a 12V/10.5AH for $45 or 12V/12AH for $47 but wasn't sure if these would be more or less range than stock. Seems like a good easy option to get what i want, and still cheaper than ordering from Kidsquad to boot.

Single income + two young kids + COVID killing bonus means my real car plans on hold so now i live vicariously through my 3 year old lol. Will be fun to let him "help" install it.

AndyL
03-08-2021, 05:08 PM

A34jVGXZpdI

HHURICANE1
03-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmlCH7bTO8

BerserkerCatSplat
03-08-2021, 07:12 PM
OK dumb question for a guy who pretty BARELY passed his circuits classes during his engineering degree 14 years ago.

So right now it's two 6V/7Ah in series. If i replace with a single 12V/7Ah is that equivalent? Or would i need a 12V/14Ah to be equivalent? Seems like B&E that firebane recommended has a lot of these types of cell batteries so thinking of going down there to see what they have for options.

I've heard in RV circles that they recommend two 6V in series over 12v due to 6V having more amp-hours per cell. I'm not enough of a sparky to know why, but sticking with the twin 6V is probably a good plan unless you want to do the power tool thing.

ExtraSlow
03-08-2021, 07:28 PM
One of the reasons they like 2x 6V for RV is because golf cart batteries are durable and cheap. I'm not aware of a benefit in this type of application.

Also thread title makes me think of this:

mr2mike
03-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Possible freeze-damaged battery??!
1.) Ask Mar what to do.
2.) Do the perfect, 180° opposite of what he says.

Gotta wait till spring before acting.

Tik-Tok
03-08-2021, 07:56 PM
I've heard in RV circles that they recommend two 6V in series over 12v due to 6V having more amp-hours per cell. I'm not enough of a sparky to know why, but sticking with the twin 6V is probably a good plan unless you want to do the power tool thing.

Yeah, but where do you relocate the propane tank?

I say just do a LS swap and be done with it.

npham
03-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but where do you relocate the propane tank?

I say just do a LS swap and be done with it.

We can overnight parts from Japan too.

rage2
03-08-2021, 08:39 PM
Also thread title makes me think of this:
I literally had this on laserdisc A-B repeat mode for hours when I was young. Before gifs.

SkiBum5.0
03-08-2021, 08:46 PM
My sons truck lasted less than an hour when I upgraded to 24v. I’m now onto new motors and first gear.