PDA

View Full Version : Imposter Syndrome

nzwasp
03-13-2021, 10:59 AM
Does anyone else get imposter syndrome at work?

I am currently at a customer site for the next 7 days and I've so far fixed 5 things that were broken for months, it didn't take me long to do them either, mostly I just read a log file see an issue and correct the issue then it works, the customer thinks I'm some sort of computer wizard that is brilliant. I don't feel particularly brilliant as to me it was a relatively easy thing to do perhaps the most brilliant thing I did was attempt to fix it rather then ignoring the problem.

Probably one of the negative outcomes of fixing a problem quickly is the manager then wants to know why it took his own team so long to not fix it.

tirebob
03-13-2021, 11:47 AM

I am currently at a customer site for the next 7 days and I've so far fixed 5 things that were broken for months, it didn't take me long to do them either, mostly I just read a log file see an issue and correct the issue then it works, the customer thinks I'm some sort of computer wizard that is brilliant. I don't feel particularly brilliant as to me it was a relatively easy thing to do perhaps the most brilliant thing I did was attempt to fix it rather then ignoring the problem.

Probably one of the negative outcomes of fixing a problem quickly is the manager then wants to know why it took his own team so long to not fix it.Meh... That is just the difference between somebody either with the experience to easily identify an issue quickly or it's a sign that your coworkers are those types of people that fill almost every job out there, being those who think doing as little as possible but still keep their jobs is considered success.

Just not being those fuckers makes you a whizz no matter how dead simple the work may seem to you.

Tik-Tok
03-13-2021, 11:48 AM
2/3 of proffesionals get that. You sound sus though

Seriously though, everyone has different strengths, so what is easy and obvious to you, isn't to others, and vice versa. That why it's so common to feel that way.

Jlude
03-13-2021, 11:53 AM
You're describing skills/experience being observed by someone without any (in that field). The imposter is the person who lets it go to their head.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Yeah, this seems normal for a skilled and experienced person who works around others who lack that specific skillset. Not quite what I'd call imposter syndrome. Although I haven't given that phrase of thought.

revelations
03-13-2021, 12:08 PM
I didnt know it was called that - however what I learned was that if you had a 1 hour min bill time for eg. do not finish the job in 5 minutes even if you can as it can cause issues with other people (eg. some co worker tried to fix it and now feels bad).

Buster
03-13-2021, 12:26 PM
what if your job is to be an imposter? what then?

tcon
03-13-2021, 12:42 PM
I used to get this feeling from time to time, but when I took my GF for a tour around the plant it really put into perspective how much knowlege and experience Ive gained vs what the average person would have for this industry.

SKR
03-13-2021, 12:42 PM

Probably one of the negative outcomes of fixing a problem quickly is the manager then wants to know why it took his own team so long to not fix it.

This is the opposite of impostor syndrome. You're confident in your abilities. Impostors doubt theirs.

bjstare
03-13-2021, 01:13 PM
what if your job is to be an imposter? what then?

Then you would be a management/strategy consultant.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2021, 01:19 PM
Then you would be a management/strategy consultant.

I still swear I'd be awesome at that.

killramos
03-13-2021, 01:23 PM
I still swear I'd be awesome at that.

Dewit

ExtraSlow
03-13-2021, 01:25 PM
I do know a guy.....

bjstare
03-13-2021, 01:38 PM
I do know a guy.....

I’m sure you still have my number. I’ll split my referral bonus with you if you make it through.

ExtraSlow
03-13-2021, 01:52 PM
Indeed I do.

msommers
03-13-2021, 09:59 PM
Imposter syndrome is when someone quite intelligent in their field feels like they don't know everything and ultimately will be 'outed' if someone finds out there is something they don't know. It's actually quite common in academia.

I used to suffer from this years ago actually until I became comfortable and more confident despite knowing that I didn't know it all. Was a huge burden lifted. The thought pattern was that I didn't know everything, so I basically know nothing and everyone else knows it.

What I read in the OP is a weird and awkward flex.

Disoblige
03-13-2021, 11:41 PM
Imposter syndrome is when someone quite intelligent in their field feels like they don't know everything and ultimately will be 'outed' if someone finds out there is something they don't know. It's actually quite common in academia.

I used to suffer from this years ago actually until I became comfortable and more confident despite knowing that I didn't know it all. Was a huge burden lifted. The thought pattern was that I didn't know everything, so I basically know nothing and everyone else knows it.

This EXACTLY lol.

OP doesn't even know what imposter syndrome is.
Weird flex.

nzwasp
03-14-2021, 08:07 AM
This EXACTLY lol.

OP doesn't even know what imposter syndrome is.
Weird flex.

Yes seems like ive learned maybe I dont have this.

I do admit im quite awkward.

beyond_ban
03-15-2021, 08:36 AM
"Fake it till you make it" is tattooed across my forehead as a morning reminder that imposter syndrome is just my feelings trying to deny me a successful career.

Manhattan
03-15-2021, 10:45 AM
Dunning kruger curve. You're somewhere past 'know nothing'.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Yeah to be honest I thought it was just a clever way to humble brag haha (though maybe it wasn't intended as such). The whole reason a customer is using a professional service is because they don't know how to do it on their own, so of course they're going to be impressed when you make something look easy that is difficult for them. I always thought imposter syndrome had more to do with your peers than clients, but I could be wrong.

nzwasp
03-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Yeah to be honest I thought it was just a clever way to humble brag haha (though maybe it wasn't intended as such). The whole reason a customer is using a professional service is because they don't know how to do it on their own, so of course they're going to be impressed when you make something look easy that is difficult for them. I always thought imposter syndrome had more to do with your peers than clients, but I could be wrong.

I don't know how often you read reddit's IT communities but imposter syndrome is very common on there. I guess I've always understood it as faking it until you make it - I definitely faked it until I made it when I got my jobs at the start of my career.

Its become more apparent that the things that were broken were supposed to be fixed by another department of my company and the politics surrounding it are vast, infact me fixing it so easily makes my company look way worse now. I realize now none of this has anything to do with imposter syndome. Other than I dont think the things I did required any skill at all.

ThePenIsMightier
03-15-2021, 07:28 PM
I don't see how this could be a humble brag... On Beyond?

"I just solved so many problems so easily!"

"Weird, I spent the afternoon putting $250 worth of gasoline into my mega-charged ______ after some $100 truffle fois-gras and then test drove a GT3 which pissed me off that they didn't have the RS available for my allocation, but it's ok because I sold my TSLA above $800."

If you don't know whether you're a shark or a minnow; you ain't a shark!

schurchill39
03-16-2021, 01:13 AM
If you don't know whether you're a shark or a minnow; you ain't a shark!

I don't like fish, can you put this analogy in terms of mammals?

ExtraSlow
03-16-2021, 06:59 AM
I don't like fish, can you put this analogy in terms of mammals?

You are a platypus.