PDA

View Full Version : Exterior stucco paint (MEDIUM THREAD, 56k no way)

Darkane
03-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Hey lovely folks,

What’s a good going rate for an exterior stucco repaint?

I did some searching, couldn’t quite get a price without getting actual quotes. One google said around $2.50/sqft - but I don’t know.

InRich use to do this kind of work, and some pics on beyond showed a good job.

killramos
03-14-2021, 10:10 AM
+1 interested in having my exterior repainted this year. Very timely

Darkane
03-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Great, if it’s a go for me - let’s link up and get a bulk discount going.

Kobe
03-14-2021, 12:23 PM
No idea what the going rate is now a days but when I worked stucco and we had to repaint everything the most time consuming part was taping everything, windows/doors, soffits, vents, parging, roofs.

The price will depend on how many details have to be taped up so the price should range a fair bit.

Basically every window/vent is going to be an additional cost.

If you were to tape everything and just have it painted I think the price would go down like 50% if you found a company that would do it.

The tape itself is expensive, since it would have to be on for over a day. (This is the tape we always used at least, maybe other companies used different tape)

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-6750/Electrical-Tape/Electrical-Tape-3-4-x-20-yds-Red?pricode=YF912&gadtype=pla&id=S-6750&gclid=CjwKCAiAhbeCBhBcEiwAkv2cY8nv-ci7zKAqEM44f9IRx5aEPgH9thAt0JZSs_xJ-YoaVIBzAOmBwhoCH3oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edit: I checked the name on the tape and its "Cantech"

https://www.cantech.com/en/construction/polyethylene%20tapes/24900

Darkane
03-14-2021, 12:33 PM
No idea what the going rate is now a days but when I worked stucco and we had to repaint everything the most time consuming part was taping everything, windows/doors, soffits, vents, parging, roofs.

The price will depend on how many details have to be taped up so the price should range a fair bit.

Basically every window/vent is going to be an additional cost.

If you were to tape everything and just have it painted I think the price would go down like 50% if you found a company that would do it.

The tape itself is expensive, since it would have to be on for over a day. (This is the tape we always used at least, maybe other companies used different tape)

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-6750/Electrical-Tape/Electrical-Tape-3-4-x-20-yds-Red?pricode=YF912&gadtype=pla&id=S-6750&gclid=CjwKCAiAhbeCBhBcEiwAkv2cY8nv-ci7zKAqEM44f9IRx5aEPgH9thAt0JZSs_xJ-YoaVIBzAOmBwhoCH3oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks Kobe

Kobe
03-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Thanks Kobe

With that said, I think you could get a pretty competitive rate for it, there isn't many homes being done in stucco anymore so the companies don't have that much work now.

killramos
03-14-2021, 12:39 PM
I haven’t actually reached out to anyone about this yet but I think IR’s company was Legacy Exteriors.

90_Shelby
03-14-2021, 12:47 PM
I have a guy that painted my house exterior (and interior), he’s used regularly by my Uncle who builds custom homes. Our place was painted 7 years ago and still holding up great.

PM me for his contact info if interested.

SkiBum5.0
03-14-2021, 01:30 PM
I will not recommend our guy, but he was the middle quote, we paid $9500 which included the house, gate pillars, and barn.

Darkane
03-14-2021, 02:54 PM
I will not recommend our guy, but he was the middle quote, we paid $9500 which included the house, gate pillars, and barn.

That made a huge difference eh

03ozwhip
03-14-2021, 05:25 PM
Hey lovely folks,

What’s a good going rate for an exterior stucco repaint?

I did some searching, couldn’t quite get a price without getting actual quotes. One google said around $2.50/sqft - but I don’t know.

InRich use to do this kind of work, and some pics on beyond showed a good job.

I have someone that does this. PM me if you're interested Darkane .

- - - Updated - - -

You too killramos

SkiBum5.0
03-14-2021, 05:36 PM
It did - we since painted the garage doors white to match.

If I was doing it again, I may have sided the house instead of painting the stucco.

Darkane
03-14-2021, 06:32 PM
I have someone that does this. PM me if you're interested Darkane .

- - - Updated - - -

You too killramos

Thanks for the lead. Will do.

Mitsu3000gt
03-15-2021, 11:15 AM
My parents had their large-ish 2 story home w/attached garage painted for $6500 and were happy with the work. Quotes varied wildly (up to 2X) but nowhere near $50K haha. Just for another data point.

topmade
03-15-2021, 12:13 PM
With that said, I think you could get a pretty competitive rate for it, there isn't many homes being done in stucco anymore so the companies don't have that much work now.
Still very relevant, pretty much every house in Aspen has it :) as well as a lot of newer communities like Sage and all the new houses in Hamptons has it. It's just not the ugly old style and more flat now.

03ozwhip
03-15-2021, 03:11 PM
The guy I know did a 1500 sqf walkout bungalow for about 10k just to give an idea.

Tik-Tok
03-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Is getting an exterior painted normally that high, or does stucco cost more? $10g for a bungalow seems like a lot of money to me.

killramos
03-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Is getting an exterior painted normally that high, or does stucco cost more? $10g for a bungalow seems like a lot of money to me.

+1 for 10k I’d risk doing it myself.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2021, 07:28 PM
I dunno, you can spend 10k on interior paint, and I'd assume exterior stucco paint has a higher material cost.

killramos
03-15-2021, 07:30 PM
I dunno, you can spend 10k on interior paint, and I'd assume exterior stucco paint has a higher material cost.

I’d imagine interior is several multiples of surface area.

Material cost is likely insignificant in a 10k quote to paint a bungalow.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2021, 07:51 PM
Your math checks our.

dirtsniffer
03-15-2021, 08:04 PM
Friend just paid 6 grand for a bungalow post summer, with a friends and family discount.

You'd think home improvement costs would start coming out of the stratosphere this year. Guess we will see

Kobe
03-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Still very relevant, pretty much every house in Aspen has it :) as well as a lot of newer communities like Sage and all the new houses in Hamptons has it. It's just not the ugly old style and more flat now.

Most of those houses are using Acrylic.

Traditional stucco is not the same as the acylic stucco as it was before, it's acrylic stucco now (With texture) whereas the homes in Aspen are using Acrylic which has a different 2nd scratch coat (It takes way longer to do acrylic scratch (Second coat) since it has to be perfectly even and it takes time + a thicker 2nd coat. The new acrylic stucco just holds up much better long-term, but it comes with a price.

Flat = Acrylic
Stucco = "Texture" (Those little bumps on it)

The old stucco and new stucco can both be painted as can acrylic.

Old Stucco would fade colors a lot quicker, and could have water leakage, the newer acrylic stucco is more elastic and waterproof. I'm sure there is more benefits to it, Acylic Stucco is something like 3x more expensive I think but you don't have to use a mixer, it comes in buckets and just have to mix those.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2021, 11:04 AM
Not sure what the infill houses around me are made with, but they use a mixer, and it ends up flat.

Kobe
03-16-2021, 11:18 AM
Scratch coats are always used with a mixer (When it's a gray wall)

There are two coats of scratch on every house (1st coat is a thin layer, 2nd coat is much thicker but the 1st coat needs to be on it so it sticks)

Traditional Stucco

2 Coats of scratch - Then you use a mixer and mix the stucco, add lime (This shit is bad for your hands) and color and then spread it on the house

Acrylic Stucco (Newer version)

2 Coats of scratch - Then you purchase the final product premixed in buckets and dont use a mixer anymore for the final coat

Acrylic

2 Coats of scratch, but on the 2nd coat it's a lot thicker and you and you use this long scratcher thing (I forget the name of it) and make the wall as even as possible before it hardens completely. You do this because when you put the final coat on with the trawel and then you "Float" it (someone is spreading the acrylic on the wall, and the next person is quickly floating after you) this is why walls have little gaps in the walls, so you can do it in parts, when you are spreading the acrylic and floating you can't exactly stop, also on warm days you need to do it away from the sun so it takes longer for it to get hard. (Also can't do it in -1c weather as well though or it won't get hard)

Acrylic is really hard to do, must companies screw it up.

You can check if its acrylic stucco or traditional stucco just touching it, if you go touch the exterior of an old home it will be rock hard, on acrylic stucco it will be a bit more elastic.

Kobe
03-16-2021, 11:39 AM
It did - we since painted the garage doors white to match.

If I was doing it again, I may have sided the house instead of painting the stucco.

As in siding?

Don't do this ever if you have other choices, you cant just put the siding on the stucco, it has to be removed first and that's a pain in the ass + Very time consuming we had to use grinders to remove it, it would take days of labor to remove it for siding.

https://i.gyazo.com/8a83a1279e1632d6c34ec427f08cc5da.jpg

This is where I quit doing stucco, some stucco guys back in the days did stucco on that whole complex building (red roofs) and didn't set the paper (What goes on the plywood) without enough overlap i think, and/or wasn't taped properly so the WHOLE complex has to be redone, We did 2 of those building after about a week of removing the old stucco I quit, it was just not worth it anymore.

It was a really expensive insurance claim, if it's not leaking paint it, or have a new coat put on it, but replacing stucco with siding is a huge mistake, considering stucco can withstand hail but siding can easily get ruined with hail afterwards.

When I worked stucco, we had this really nice house just outside of downtown near 4th, I think it was this house

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.028415,-114.0702491,3a,52y,36.78h,95.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sasQ5OBj1QkjeZ7IcsS8flA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

maybe it was a different one on that road, but it was just built we put the final coat onto it and the owners said they don't like the color, and asked us the paint it to a different color.

They paid for it, we did nothing wrong it was the color they picked.

So we had to spend about 9 hours the next day prepping with 7 or 8 guys to color it all up to have it repainted.

Must of been a very expensive exterior job.

It was a super sick house those, they had a water generator thing to help with flooding which was like $100,000 in the backyard, I think when the floods came afterwards though the water went to high and it didn't work.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2021, 11:41 AM
Huh, the more you know. Neat. I don't think my house is acrylic then. It's got a buncha cracks.

Kobe
03-16-2021, 03:26 PM
If it was done over like 10+ years ago it's most likely traditional stucco, if it was done in the last 5 years, most likely acrylic stucco. (inbetween that timeframe it was a mix prob more acrylic stucco though, it was becoming very common when I quit and more and more new homes were doing it that way.

or Acrylic if its completely flat)

Kobe
03-16-2021, 04:10 PM
I'll try to make it as simple as possible with some photos for the process of how its done for exteriors of walls..

First a home needs paper and wire

https://i.gyazo.com/7d6b40a879c3a7509c3dc220b81b9e30.jpg

If you are doing stone you use much smaller wire like here (You apply it while placing stone)

https://i.gyazo.com/ac7f8d8728aef84ca3d8f6dd3d95bfec.png

If you are doing Siding you only put the paper and wire onto the house and the siding goes on top of it, it's ready to go.

For Traditional Stucco, Acrylic, Acrylic Stucco you put on a skinny layer to cover the mesh, then you also use a brush and go across the scratch (Mixer needed)

https://i.gyazo.com/29e54a566e9458d0fc3dcfbc12c42630.jpg

For Traditional Stucco and Acrylic Stucco you put on a second coat like this, and try to make it as flat as possible. (This is where most of the labour goes IMO)

For Acrylic, you put on this coat but has to be extra thick, and then you use the corners (Sides at bottom of the house) to make it as even as possible)

Each coat needs to dry overnight and be rock hard (In like 2007 we were doing scratch and then color atleast a month later for it becuase of the amount of houses there was to do, now its maybe 2-5 houses we had, and assume there won't be many next year.

If you have acrylic and you screw up part of the wall, the whole wall does has to be redone (Can paint it or put the final coat on again) But you can't just do a little piece and expect their not to be a visible color difference.

If you have traditional or acrylic stucco we can use different scaffold which goes into the wall, and then remove it and patch it up when removing the scafford, with acrylic the scaffold shouldn't be touching the wall. We were able to use regular scaffold but used differenlt clips, so it was held in by screws. We screwed up more then once removing it and had to redue the whole wall though.

AFAIK they will all fade so some extent but it can usually be fixed.

If someone is annoyed about how their stucco is dirty you can save some money and do it yourself.

Clean with a hose
Use vinegar and a paintbrush and start to brush at it
Clean with a hose.

For stains on the parging (Bottom of the house which is just scratch) you can use a wire brush, but i'd recommend against it on a color coat.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-Soft-Grip-Carbon-Wire-Brush-4-x-16-Rows-SB416-ANV/309996562?

Keep repeating the process till it's clean.

Acrylic Stucco shouldn't really crack
Acrylic Shouldn't really crack
Tradition Stucco cracked a lot (mostly under windows or near the bottom, if there are small pieces it's much more likely to crack.

Send a picture of the house (Up close) I can prob tell you if its acrylic or Stucco

For example this house as lines (I think this is extremely excessive and no point for a joint on the garage there but this is acrylic for sure

https://certapro.com/wp-content/uploads/orlando_after.jpg

With traditional Stucco we would flatten it like this afterwards (it looked a lot nicer) but not everyone does it.

https://i.gyazo.com/8d2f340e964626d2cdd28ae54749c30b.jpg

With Acrylic Stucco you can't do this I think, i can be wrong on this though I don't remember, but I think we didn't flatten it.

Big issue with painting it which i totally forgot about before is if the house is covered in battens, it takes a lot more covering time, since both are done separately, a lot of houses in calgary have them, if you want to clean this, only use vinegar to try and clean them they are delicate!

https://i.gyazo.com/696ea981f6ed84db515d7a34db4e38b9.png

Hope that helps, you can try cleaning with vinegar them just be careful if you use a wire brush, but don't ever use it on battens, and if you want to do it on stucco/acrylic just avoid battens.

Personally Acrylic I'd only use a paintbrush though, the section can't just be painted and look good afterwards if you screw up.