PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi's first year of business in Canada

Ducati
04-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Mitsubishi has now been selling cars in Canada for a year.

I was one of the first salespeople selling these cars (in Langley BC) at one of the first dealerships. At first we couldn't give them away, as despite being pretty good cars, they were not really outstanding cars (however reliability should be excellent, if the incidence of repairs from the US is an indicator)
Now that I have gotten out of the car business in disgust, I am noticing that my former compatriates must be doing something right, as there are more of them on the road, it seems.

So, this prompts me to ask the question -

What do you think of the various Mitsubishi models available today?
(Forget the EVO - you still can't get it in Canada yet)

Weapon_R
04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
They don't really strike me as something i'd ever want to buy. There are so many better cars in every class.

Take the lancer for example. It seems like a great car, but most people prefer the Mazda 3 or Honda civic to the lancer.

///M3
04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
They have only been selling them here for a year? wow i never noticed that. but anyways, i love the eclipse (the new concept looks sick):thumbsup:. And the 3000Gt is crazy nice.

blinkme_210
04-01-2004, 10:20 PM
3000 GT's aren't even part of their current line up.....
Anyways, their cars are ok looking, ain't the best. Saw the "sportback" Lancer the other day, and damn it is long.

Altezza
04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Other than the EVO, there is nothing that really catches my attention from Mitsubishi. For the price, I'd rather buy a Mazda if I had the choice.

Ducati
04-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Wow. 21 hits in 5 minutes...

The Lancer is comparable to the Mazda Protege in price, and the power is similar. The Lancer has more torque, so feels ballsier around town. The Lancer feels better assembled, and is definitely roomier - however it looks like a 10 year old design compared to the Mazda.

Also, compare the Galant to the Mazda6? The Galant is a better driver, but compared to the Mazda is Bog Ugly.

Ever driven an Eclipse? Big Dissapointment. The 3 litre with the 5 speed goes good, but the automatic sucks power, and is a slug.
The visibility is horrible.

The Monteros are a different story - I consider these two models to be one of the best truck bargains out there.

Now, the Outlander...that is one weird ugly and useless vehicle.

kevie88
04-01-2004, 10:29 PM
I definately wouldn't be buying a current model Mitsu..

Altezza
04-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
The Monteros are a different story - I consider these two models to be one of the best truck bargains out there.

I live in a rather hilly part of town. One of the biggest dissapointments I saw last year was a Montero stuck coming uphill my cul-de-sac. It span all 4 wheels for a good 15-20 mins before giving up 1/3 the way up. About 10 mins later I was amazed to see 2 of my next-door neighbours make it home in their 4Runners.

kevie88
04-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

I live in a rather hilly part of town. One of the biggest dissapointments I saw last year was a Montero stuck coming uphill my cul-de-sac. It span all 4 wheels for a good 15-20 mins before giving up 1/3 the way up. About 10 mins later I was amazed to see 2 of my next-door neighbours make it home in their 4Runners.

more than likely that's just tires.. the difference between good snow tires and street tires on ice is MASSIVE.

Redlyne_mr2
04-01-2004, 10:42 PM
IMO all of the current model Mitsus are garbage. Somehow they managed to single handedly ruin an entire line up of cars. You see alot of them on the road because of all the incentives mitsu offers. They also have a very strong marketing plan and a pretty exciting image to those who know nothing about cars

1badPT
04-01-2004, 10:47 PM
My impressions of Mitsu after a year:

1) Style I think is a bit weak but they are getting better. The Eclipse, although I'm not a huge fan of the buildup of the car, the style is awesome. The Restyled Galant is a step in the right direction but still not quite there yet and the Lancer, same thing.

2) Value wise you would be hard pressed to find something better

I think because they are new, they are probably competing on value, but with Daimler-Chrysler having a hand in what they do, I think we're starting to see some better styled vehicles come out of Mitsu. Mitsu picked probably the worst time to be a new competitor in the Canadian car market since IMO most of the companies who are established here are putting out some of their best vehicles ever. That's not to say Mitsu can't compete, but they have some tough competition.

I do see a fair number of mitsus on the road after only a year and I know someone that owns a Mitsu Lancer and she's really happy with it, so owning a Mitsu seems to be a pleasant experience.

Altezza - that speaks more about the tires on the vehicle as opposed to the build of the vehicle itself. The only reason I have studded tires on my car is the stockers are awful on snow and ice (which isn't surprising because all-seasons suck compared to winters for winter driving).

Ferio_vti
04-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Mistu's here don't seem to have anything spectacular. Aside from the evo, they don't seem to have anything outstanding to offer, IMO. Rather run of the mill, if not dull. They seem to be lacking something.

I think they were more sought after (3000GT, Eclipse) when Canada didn't have them available.

That and their cars seem to have average/acceptable crash ratings. I read the Galant, for example, was more or less just okay.

rice_eater
04-01-2004, 11:47 PM
reading through your guys's post, what is so outstanding about other car brands? the fact is that we drive generic cars, with few models having anything special about them :dunno: Until they put something out (or at least bring the evo) that will actually get people talking about them they're just gonna be the new guy on the block, and most concervative albertans will just avoid them and stick to the established brands

That.Guy.S30
04-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
They don't really strike me as something i'd ever want to buy. There are so many better cars in every class.

Take the lancer for example. It seems like a great car, but most people prefer the Mazda 3 or Honda civic to the lancer.

o hell no man. i test driven the civic.. fuckin 28 thousand for an si.. no thanks. ralliart lancer kicks ass for a cheap price. now the mazda 3 on the other hand.. i would get that.

Weapon_R
04-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

o hell no man. i test driven the civic.. fuckin 28 thousand for an si.. no thanks. ralliart lancer kicks ass for a cheap price. now the mazda 3 on the other hand.. i would get that.

I'm talking about the Ralliart vs. the DX. I am reasonably sure that most people would take the civic, hence the yearly sales of each vehicle.

That.Guy.S30
04-02-2004, 12:25 AM
oo but they also have base lancers. so the comparisons are unfair. i see alot of base lancers and oz lancers on the street. heck i almost bought one last year, i also seen TONS of civics. but i think for bang for the buck it would be a tough call between the mazda 3 and ralliart. no civic can hang with those badboys for the price.

on a side note. mitsu gotta do somethin in the looks department. you think with a beauty like the evo mitsu canada can come up with something better looking cars

Ducati
04-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Altezza

No doubt! However, I have seen drivers of TurboDiesel Excursions and 'Slade's get stuck on a hill when a 20 year old Suzuki J got up the hill. It;s all technique. Too much foot in it, and you'll spin anything. It wasn't the Montero's fault - it was the meat in the seat.

ZorroAMG
04-02-2004, 09:00 AM
They look and feel (and are) CHEAP. :thumbsdow: Boring to look at and more boring to drive....

T5_X
04-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Wow. 21 hits in 5 minutes...

The Lancer is comparable to the Mazda Protege in price, and the power is similar. The Lancer has more torque, so feels ballsier around town. The Lancer feels better assembled, and is definitely roomier - however it looks like a 10 year old design compared to the Mazda.

Also, compare the Galant to the Mazda6? The Galant is a better driver, but compared to the Mazda is Bog Ugly.

The protege is no longer produced, the mazda 3 is the new model and the base engine has 148 HP and 135 Tq, which beat the lancer in both departments. If you're getting the hatchback model, the 160 HP engine from the mazda 6 is standard. The design of the chassis in the new mazda 3 is excellent.

The Galant seems like it is really underappreciated as a driver's car in every way except for the lack of a manual, and a 4 speed auto equipped as the only choice.

Spyderman_MaryJ
04-02-2004, 09:24 AM
We Have an Eclipse GT 5spd and we love it... I think it drives smooth, has *enough* power and I like the styling, but we decided on an Eclipse over a year before they were availible in Canada. That being said, I think it's a little over priced for what you get (when you do a fair Options vs. power vs. price vs... comparison) I'm not saying they aren't worth it, but when you can get more for less, they hardly seem "Good Value." The same goes for most of their line-up IMO... (Now if I could get an EVO I would be in heaven) I think they are all great cars, and I am now a Mitsubishi "Enthusiast" (But then again, I used to be a Chevy guy, and just about anything is better at this point :thumbsup: )

What I would suggest is everyone go and test drive a Mitsubishi. Why not?.. It doesn't cost anything. And if it's an Eclipse, take a 5spd if possible. We test drove an 'Sportronic' auto in seattle a couple years back, and it was garbage. Made the car feel too heavy! And finally if you do go, I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLATINUM MITSUBISHI IN CALGARY! They are idiots and I WILL NOT let them touch my car again... and $19 for touch-up paint that YOU forgot to order twice, and I waited 3+months and finally got for $6 at Hyatt! NEVER AGAIN!

~End Rant~

:D

Xtrema
04-02-2004, 12:12 PM
They got into the market too late. Mitsu had it going on in the 90s. They have so many cars that I would own, GTO, 3000GT, Eclipse, Lancer.

Now GTO never materialize. Eclipse is now a Sebring in different skin and more of a big boat cruiser. 3000GT is nowhere to be seen. Lancer is now uglier, and Evo (which is the only Mitsu I'll buy) hasn't show up in Canada yet.

None of their SUV got good reviews. And their reliability is still questionable (rust bucket EVOs, recalls and shady safty practices). Finanically, they are in trouble as well.

What will eventually happen is that Mitsu with become a brand for the Chrysler group like how GM owns Saturn. Next Lancer will probably share the same platofrm as Neon and more Chrysler trucks/SUV will be reskin and branded as Mitsu.

1badPT
04-02-2004, 12:22 PM
The lancer, neon, and pt cruiser are supposed to be re-engineered for common platform production I believe in 2006 for the 2007 model year. They are saying the new platform will be AWD capable :drool:. The eclipse, sebring (and stratus which isn't available in Canada) may get a redesign, but as far as I know, nothing is definite yet. I doubt they'll rewrap the Mitsu SUV's since the Durango is already a better product at a better price for Heavy Duty SUV use and the Pacifica is a better passenger SUV crossover than anything in the Mitsu lineup.

and the GTO is a pontiac (actually a Holden :nut: ) unless you're talking about some other GTO that I don't know about :dunno:

pr0
04-02-2004, 12:38 PM

I'm talking about the Ralliart vs. the DX. I am reasonably sure that most people would take the civic, hence the yearly sales of each vehicle.

Why would someone actually buy a Civic over a Lancer? I mean the Lancer is a lot more rare and can be easily modified to run mid 13s and the retail is way cheaper.

The new eclipse cars are crappy (my opinion), the v6 just doesn't cut it. I prefer DSM (1g, 2g).

Weapon_R
04-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by pr0

Why would someone actually buy a Civic over a Lancer? I mean the Lancer is a lot more rare and can be easily modified to run mid 13s and the retail is way cheaper.

Why?

Let's see. Better resale value. Better reliability. Better features. Nicer looking car (subjective). And show me one lancer than can "easily be modified to run 13s" :rofl:

blinkme_210
04-02-2004, 12:50 PM

Why?

Let's see. Better resale value. Better reliability. Better features. Nicer looking car (subjective). And show me one lancer than can "easily be modified to run 13s" :rofl:

:werd:
Especially since these Lancers are the FF variant. Pro, you might have gotten it mixed up with the Lancer Evos....

Xtrema
04-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
and the GTO is a pontiac (actually a Holden :nut: ) unless you're talking about some other GTO that I don't know about :dunno:

Sorry Mitsu GTO = 3000GT

What I meant was FTO as seen below. I have only seen this @ Vancouver once @ Robson.

http://www.tlcmotorsports.com/contest/45-mitsubishi.jpg

1badPT
04-02-2004, 01:09 PM
3000GT/StealthTT is one of my fav cars :love:

I wish they still made them :banghead:

blinkme_210
04-02-2004, 01:15 PM
The styling of the FTO's are awesome! :thumbsup:
Surprisingly FTO's are FF, and have no real power to them at all.

three.eighteen.
04-02-2004, 03:15 PM
to me the FTO is what the sunfire tried hard to look like

Xtrema
04-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
The styling of the FTO's are awesome! :thumbsup:
Surprisingly FTO's are FF, and have no real power to them at all.

2000cc V6 24 Valve MIVEC
Power = 200 BHP @ 7500 rpm
205/50R16 87v tyres
16×6.5JJ aluminium wheels
Projector headlight and fog lamps
Rear spoiler
Side Skirts
Electric remote folding mirrors
Variable intermittent wipers
Tinted glass
Dual exit exhaust
High back sport seat
Front and back independent adjustment type height adjuster (drivers seat only)
Fully automatic air conditioner
MOMO leather 3 spoke steering wheel
Leather shift knob (M/T only)
Sport mode indicator (A/T only)
Anti glare rear view mirror (map lamp fitted)
Rear screen aerial
Driver's seat SRS air bag system
High-level brake light
Keyless entry system
Safety mechanism on electric windows
Central Door locking
Weight = 1170kg (5MT) 1190kg (4AT)

Pound by pound, this is a capable car to go against Integra R, Celica or any car in this segment.

Even the interior scream classic.....
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/i/interior.jpg
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/info/i/interior2.jpg

Just to show how much did Mitsu lost its way.

Altezza
04-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

more than likely that's just tires.. the difference between good snow tires and street tires on ice is MASSIVE.

No doubt! However, I have seen drivers of TurboDiesel Excursions and 'Slade's get stuck on a hill when a 20 year old Suzuki J got up the hill. It;s all technique. Too much foot in it, and you'll spin anything. It wasn't the Montero's fault - it was the meat in the seat.

I definitely agree with both statements as there could have been many factors which affected the vehicles. This all happened during the big-ass snowfall we had in the fall. It appeared as if the Montero was BRAND spanking new too. I didn't think much about it, other than feeling bad for the guy who just bought it only to have it get stuck on the way home.

Ducati
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Now THIS would go a long way toward restoring Mitsubishi credibility if it is as capable as it is good looking. This new Eclipse is beautiful, IMHO.

Ducati
04-02-2004, 06:18 PM
...and a replacement for the horrid little Outlander...

1badPT
04-02-2004, 06:23 PM
for breath that smells like shit...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Eclipse concept above is supposed to be twin engine, and the design allows for you to keep accelerating even as you let off the gas to shift gears.

Ducati
04-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Damn, the picture I really wanted didn't upload.
Good thing one of the pictures of my sex dwarves didn't get loaded.

pr0
04-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

:werd:
Especially since these Lancers are the FF variant. Pro, you might have gotten it mixed up with the Lancer Evos....

Unfortunatly I did... OOPS. Not to familiar with the new Mitsubishi vehicles... The lancer evolution is the one, but I hear they aren't even legal here in Canada...

Ducati
04-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Nice interior for the Eclipse, too.

20incheyes
04-02-2004, 08:22 PM
haven't read toehr views, but the mtisus look they should came out 10 years ago, the previous lancer looked better, and those diamantes from the early 90's knew what was up

heavyD
04-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Now THIS would go a long way toward restoring Mitsubishi credibility if it is as capable as it is good looking. This new Eclipse is beautiful, IMHO.

I love that car!:love: V6 engine, electric motor, & AWD. Unfortunately production cars will probably come with only the 3.8L V6.

Seanith
04-03-2004, 02:13 AM
My Dads friend was a partner when the first Mitsubishi dealership opened up in B.C. They weren't impressed at all and they converted it to a Mazda dealership lol... :rofl:

BigMass
04-03-2004, 11:33 AM

The 4G63 is a good engine. Why not use it? They should just stick the same spec as the Evo 8 into the new Eclipse and all will be well. They're just fucking with the Eclipse at this point. Did i hear someone say electric engine? wtf?

Ducati
04-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Subaru has developed a gas/electric hybrid that produces over 400 hp, that is likely to be available within the next two years. I don't know torque specs, or much else, but I think this type of R&D is a good thing, providing that the general public isn't used as guines pigs.
Mitsubishi is allied with Diamler Chrysler, who are at the forefrnt of this technology. I cannot see them letting Subaru (with GM their largest shareholder) beat them to the punch with a viable and entertaining high performance hybrid.

googe
04-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by pr0

The new eclipse cars are crappy (my opinion), the v6 just doesn't cut it. I prefer DSM (1g, 2g).

2 words!

civic nation

:rofl:

Ducati
04-03-2004, 09:04 PM
If I was buying a basic sedan just to use to drive to work and haul a few kids to soccer, the Lancer is a good car, and offers advantages that exceeld those offered bu a Honda of similar price.

However, if I were to lease, I would be concerned about the low residual value of the Lancer making the payments higher than they should be for this type of basic transportation.

The Lancer really does have a more useable interior, and a torquier engine. And for $20K the Lancer Rally gives you a better suspension setup, nice instrumentation, attractive wheels with bigger tires, and ok looks.

But I am not gouing to buy one. I am very interested in checking out the Smart and the Scion xB.

Xtrema
04-05-2004, 11:45 AM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/images/04concepte_10.jpg

Better pic of new Eclipse interior.

More impression of the concept car can be found here:

ehos
04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
The Lancer is a nice car (if you live in India or Thailand/Malasia), but not up to spec in Canada/USA.

I would consider buying it ONLY because it's so cheap and has a huge worldwide following. Having said that, the OZ is the single WORST buy currently. I feel for the suckers that have Lancer OZ's :(

Eclipse: I've owned the GT and GS. The GS is a so-so car, drives really nice, looks good (better than most cars out there), but you really REALLY need the GT. Automatic (why? Too many reports of bad TOB/rattles from clutches etc etc).

Awesome car, overpriced, but awesome. (I got a deal on mine, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it). Again, I feel for the people that pay retail for a GT (ouch, rip off!). You're almost in Infinity G35 territory.

95TsiAWD
04-21-2004, 01:01 PM
I just picked up a Lancer Ralliart a few weeks ago. All I can sy is that for the money, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, NOBODY has a car that has this quality of performance and fit/finish.

ehos
04-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Glad you didn't get the 'OZ' ;)

How much did you pay 'out the door' for your Ralliart?

Sweet cars I think.

That.Guy.S30
04-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
I just picked up a Lancer Ralliart a few weeks ago. All I can sy is that for the money, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, NOBODY has a car that has this quality of performance and fit/finish.

heh nice car aint it? my girlfriend picked hers up in december. i beleive we were the first ones in calgary! next to the demo cars they used to test drive.

JordanLotoski
04-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Better pic of new Eclipse interior.

More impression of the concept car can be found here:

nasty

95TsiAWD
04-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ehos
Glad you didn't get the 'OZ' ;)

How much did you pay 'out the door' for your Ralliart?

Sweet cars I think.

$20700, taxes paid, with 5 year warranty. Good ole 14% SK taxes too :thumbsdow
Didn't bother with any extra options other than the block heater though.

3g4me
04-22-2004, 09:19 AM
I like my eclipse. Good style, nice engine, fun to drive. IMO:thumbsup:

eb0i
04-22-2004, 09:59 PM
when i was looking into buying a car last summer I sat inside the Eclipse and was instantly turned off. It was so cramped(and i'm just 5'7) and it really felt like I was in a coffin. The view was horrid and to top it off the guy trying to sell it to me was telling me how awesome a car it was because the exhaust sounded loud.

Xtrema
04-22-2004, 10:34 PM
For the peeps with Mitsu, beware. They are going the way of the Daewoo.

Daimler Chrysler is giving up on Mitsubishi. They are dropping the plan to infuse another $6B into the company. Instead, they are putting their share on the block for sale (37%).

They've lost close to $3B in the last 7 years and creditors are on their heels. All sales are down double digits in the last few years and beaten by the Koreans.

Now, it's still early to say what will happen. It could be as bad as Daewoo, in Canada for 2 years and disappeared. Or it could be as good as Nissan where the 180 turnaround in 5 years make them strong as ever. But I don't see another buyer in the future for Mitsu as a whole, in pieces may be.

So I guess we may not see EVO 9 in Canada after all...........

95TsiAWD
04-23-2004, 08:39 AM
When is that info from? I read an article a few weeks back that Daimler Chrysler was buying a majority share in Mitsubishi and making the lancer/neon/something else a common platform car. As well as importing the EVO VIII/IX and there was a two door Chrysler version of the EVO in the works.

95TsiAWD
04-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Found it

Daimler plans to buy majority stake in Mitsubishi

Wed Apr 14, 7:36 AM ET

By David Kiley, USA TODAY

DaimlerChrysler is expected to announce later this month a plan to acquire majority ownership in financially ailing Japanese automaker Mitsubishi Motors.

The German-American automaker already owns 37% of Japan's fourth-largest automaker and will spend about $3.8 billion in a bailout and raise its stake above 50% by 2006, say DaimlerChrysler officials, who spoke on background. Details will be announced in a few weeks.

The total bailout of Mitsubishi is expected to cost about $6.6 billion, with the balance being provided by Mitsubishi group companies including Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, and borrowing by Mitsubishi Motors.

The decision won't be met with enthusiasm by shareholders. DaimlerChrysler's acquisitions of Chrysler and Mitsubishi have drained more than $40 billion in shareholder value since 1998.

Mitsubishi expects to post a loss of $686 million for the year ended March 31. That would bring the company's losses over seven years to $3 billion.

Mitsubishi Motors is expected to seek approval of the Daimler plan at its April 30 shareholders meeting.

DaimlerChrysler recently installed Andreas Renschler, former head of its Smart minicar division, at Mitsubishi to assemble the rescue plan. Renschler is expected to replace Mitsubishi CEO Rolf Eckrodt as early as this month.

Mitsubishi has been beset by costly recalls in Japan. In North America, aggressive lending to underqualified buyers who later defaulted on their loans has hurt the company's bottom line.

Mitsubishi sales in the USA, down 26% last year, have slid 19% so far this year. It was the fastest-growing Japanese brand in the USA during the previous two years. The setbacks have delayed the company's planned expansion of its Normal, Ill., assembly plant.

DaimlerChrysler has always seen Mitsubishi as a way to keep a toehold in growing Asian markets such as China, South Korea (news - web sites) and Indonesia.

Additionally, Chrysler and Mitsubishi are jointly developing both companies' next-generation small and midsize cars at a great cost savings.

But many shareholders view Mitsubishi as another problem child dragging down Daimler's stock price.

"BMW shares have increased 49% in the past five years, DaimlerChrysler shares have lost 47%," complained Klaus Kaldemorgen, head of mutual fund firm DWS Investments, at last week's annual shareholder meeting.

American depository receipts of Mitsubishi Motors rose 3% Tuesday to close at $3.05. Those shares are up 58% since December. DaimlerChrysler shares slid 2.3% to $40.43.

Contributing: Reuters

95TsiAWD
04-23-2004, 09:40 AM
shit nevermind, found this info. It's more recent than the last
http://www.forbes.com/newswire/2004/04/23/rtr1344675.html