PDA

View Full Version : New garage - window question

arcticcat522
03-22-2021, 03:32 PM
Hey all, planning our new (edit)detached garage build and not sure about some windows. I was thinking of installing a couple 12" tall windows, say 5" above where the work bench will go to provide light at the work bench. Is that crazy? I'm visualizing them under the cabinet, over the work bench. Should I just move them up high, over top of the future cabinets? There will be a 36x30 window over where I'm planning on having a desk, beside the bench. All picture windows

Whatcha think?

ThePenIsMightier
03-22-2021, 03:34 PM
Garage is prime target for theft and quiet, concealed entry to your house. No windows at elevations less than 6 feet.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2021, 03:41 PM
If you want natural light, just do skylights. Or recognize that if you have a day job, 9 months of the year you'll need bitchin bright LED lights either way, so windows won't matter.

arcticcat522
03-22-2021, 03:49 PM
I'm planning to move my WFH office out there. I realize there may be some theft concerns. I figure, I can make some security shutters for when I'm not out there. When I am, o like the idea of seeing the kids playing in the yard. If I add the windows during the build, isn't it easier to board them up then add later was my thought.

revelations
03-22-2021, 04:15 PM
Windows facing your home and not any are where transient traffic can see what's inside is what you want. Security for detached garages is a joke alone anyway, without an alarm.

We had a giant picture window in ours, exactly facing the yard as you said, and it was very nice.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-22-2021, 04:15 PM
FWIW I really like my garage windows that face the yard, the extra natural light is nice when I'm working in there on the weekends. Window bars are probably a good idea though, you don't need egress capability.

arcticcat522
03-22-2021, 04:19 PM
Ya, I'm not afraid of some window bars. What about he idea of having them between the lower and upper cabinets? Also, the windows will all be on the south side, so I'm anticipating some nice light.

Xtrema
03-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Meh, it's detached, if they want in, they just kick the door. The 36x30 window just give them confirmation if the door is worth kicking/picking or visual feedback to hook the garage door emergency release.

never
03-22-2021, 06:43 PM
I just put up an extra garage with a couple of big windows (48x42 and 48x60) and the natural light in there is great.

cyra1ax
03-23-2021, 07:02 AM
Hey all, planning our new (edit)detached garage build and not sure about some windows. I was thinking of installing a couple 12" tall windows, say 5" above where the work bench will go to provide light at the work bench. Is that crazy? I'm visualizing them under the cabinet, over the work bench. Should I just move them up high, over top of the future cabinets? There will be a 36x30 window over where I'm planning on having a desk, beside the bench. All picture windows

Whatcha think?

I'm just in the process of putting up a garage now, I basically wanted shed windows (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/prestofen-shed-windows-17x35-pvc/1000146340) in a double glazed, horizontal format and had to custom order them. Similar to you, these are going way up on the wall, about 8ft off the ground.

ThePenIsMightier
03-23-2021, 07:11 AM
Meh, it's detached, if they want in, they just kick the door. The 36x30 window just give them confirmation if the door is worth kicking/picking or visual feedback to hook the garage door emergency release.

This is a pretty good point, but it's always about the low hanging fruit. All I have to do is not leave my wallet in my unlocked car in my neighbourhood and I don't need to worry about my car.
I forgot that I had a window facing my house in my previous detached garage. It had bars and I put blinds in. Good enough.

arcticcat522
03-23-2021, 10:59 AM

That might be too blurry to read, but the windows I'm getting.
I asked for an oversized entry door, but it was an extra 1000 for an additional 6". Seemed like a lot for only 6 inches.......

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2021, 11:18 AM
We have a huge garage window that faces our back yard. Great for light, not so great for security, but at least it's facing our back yard so a potential thief would have to be in our back yard to cause any trouble rather than have easy access from an alley or whatever.

If you do go with a window I'd suggest at least getting some blinds.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-23-2021, 12:14 PM
I have blinds for the window over my workbench and frosted applique over the rest, works great.

jwslam
03-23-2021, 12:50 PM
I'm planning to move my WFH office out there. I realize there may be some theft concerns. I figure, I can make some security shutters for when I'm not out there. When I am, o like the idea of seeing the kids playing in the yard.

cyra1ax
03-25-2021, 10:03 AM

That might be too blurry to read, but the windows I'm getting.
I asked for an oversized entry door, but it was an extra 1000 for an additional 6". Seemed like a lot for only 6 inches.......

Mine were very similar, 35x17 were $156 at HD.

arcticcat522
03-25-2021, 08:17 PM
Not sure why I scribbled out the cost on the small window. They are $200per